PDA

View Full Version : AD Change at Lamar - Could Lead to Return of Football?

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Lamar could be getting a new mens' basketball coach, but they wouldn't have to go far. Part of the reason that Tubbs would step down apparently would include a push to bring back football which Tubbs could oversee himself as AD, something that would be tough in his dual role as AD and MBB coach...

Lamar has not had football since the mid-80s and has a facility on campus that would need to get some renovation. Lamar is in a hot spot called the "Golden Triangle" where there's plenty of great HS football and would instantly renew football rivalries with both SHSU and McNeese if this were the case...

-------------
Lamar is in the process of starting a women's soccer program, and it has the necessary approval to start a women's softball program if it chooses. Then there is the white elephant in the room - Lamar football. A return to the playing field, which the university and the community could use, would be a full-time task in itself for any athletic director.

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16314085&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512556&rfi=6/
----------
Bob West column for Sunday, Marc 19, 2006

Don't be surprised if Billy Tubbs announces within the next few days that he's stepping down as Lamar University basketball coach, but intends to remain as athletic director. Tubbs is torn over the decision because the fierce competitor in him hates to walk away anywhere but on top, and he's got too much energy to just sit around and do nothing. Staying as AD will enable him to channel that energy into several projects, including a fund-raising push to bring back football. First assistant Steve Roccaforte would seem to have the inside track to replace Tubbs, and it says here he'd be a great choice. But Tubbs may want to check around and see what head coaches might have interest .

Freightliner
March 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM
He's gonna need a LOT of money to bring Cardinal Stadium/Higgins Fieldhouse/Practice fields back into shape.

Being that I was at Lamar back when they dropped football (December 7, 1989) its gonna be a tough chore for Tubbs to handle.

Good luck.

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
You got a very valid point...especially since they are bringing womens' soccer and probably softball as well online. It's about time for both of those programs!

Lamar is in a tough situation because of Rita and the ability of people in their community to spend. I'm not sure what Tubbs and company can do to help bring in money. It hasn't even been that huge of a publicized effort/study like UT-Arlington or even UTSA...

dbackjon
March 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Doesn't Lamar have a fairly wealthy alumni base?

colgate13
March 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I'm sorry - anyone else have trouble taking a school called 'Lamar' seriously?

http://www.supermanfred.it/javelin-lamar.jpg

Retro
March 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
What about a school called Colgate?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006L9LP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

LAMAR isn't going to do anything anytime soon. They tried to do it a few years ago, but couldn't get the interest or money going.. All they care about in that part of texas is High School football.

colgate13
March 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM
What about a school called Colgate?
TOUCHE!

Of course, anytime you put a 'Mc' in front of something, always makes one think of the Golden Arches...

http://www.mcdonalds.is/img/logomcd.gif

:D:D:D:D:):rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::D

Freightliner
March 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Doesn't Lamar have a fairly wealthy alumni base?

Not that I know of....if they did have a wealthy alumni base they would have bailed them out back in 89.

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
It's official...

Billy Tubbs Steps Down as Lamar's Basketball Coach, Remains as Director of Athletics

Tubbs compiled a career-coaching record of 641-340 record in 31 years as a head coach.

March 20, 2006

BEAUMONT - Billy Tubbs, who has spent 31 seasons as a head coach, will no longer serve as Lamar University's basketball coach but will focus on his role as Director of Athletics, Tubbs announced Monday.

Tubbs, whose return to his alma mater in May 2002 delighted Lamar fans, took over as the Cardinals' basketball coach in March 2003 while continuing as the Director of Athletics.

In 31 years of coaching, Tubbs has compiled a sparkling 641-340 (.653) career record, including a 121-89 record in seven years at Lamar. He has guided 12 teams to NCAA Tournament appearances, six National Invitation Tournament appearances, eight conference championships, three conference tournament championships and 18 20-win seasons. His 641 wins ranks 34th all-time in NCAA history.

http://lamarcardinals.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032006aaa.html

Freightliner
March 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
Hmm,

Looks like I am going to have to keep my eye on this one for awhile.

:)

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Oh wow, they're really getting football crazy at Lamar...

Apparently, a station is reporting a regent member sees it happening SOONER than LATER...

Ralph, you may wanna read up on the Cardinals! Your a big SHSU fan, so you may as well learn about the possible renewal of a big rivalry of ours and McNeese... :)

http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/fnesports/vpost?id=1001341

Freightliner
March 22nd, 2006, 07:12 PM
Oh wow, they're really getting football crazy at Lamar...

Apparently, a station is reporting a regent member sees it happening SOONER than LATER...

Ralph, you may wanna read up on the Cardinals! Your a big SHSU fan, so you may as well learn about the possible renewal of a big rivalry of ours and McNeese... :)

http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/fnesports/vpost?id=1001341

They are gonna need more help than that.

When I was at Lamar, Sam Houston/Lamar really wasnt a rivalry, McNeese/Lamar however....man o man was that a war!

Terror....how much do you really think it would cost them to restart that program?

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Terror....how much do you really think it would cost them to restart that program?

Based off the SELA example, atleast $5M-7M...probably a little more considering that while soccer is a done deal, seems softball is not 100% a sure thing. I think you'd have to include soccer/softball costs into the figure because Title IX issues directly impact football...

Now the big issue with Lamar is the stadium plan. Do they renovate that stadium? Do they build a new one? What do they do?

Freightliner
March 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
Id say if they want football back in a hurry...renovations would probably be in order for Cardinal Stadium. There is no underground watering system (they removed it before the end of the 89 season) and the press box would need new wiring/paint job along with checking the Field lights.

I know some of the SWAC teams (PVAM/TSU) have played in Cardinal Stadium...maybe they can shed some light on how beat up the stadium is.

I would guestimate that it would take betwween 10-12 million to restart the program.

All of the football offices were located in the east side of the Montange Center (side where the railroad tracks/refinerys are) and have probably been converted to other sports/admin offices so new offices would have to be built.

Higgins Fieldhouse has a big enough home locker room/training room/visitor's locker room but the weight room is woefully small and would need some attention.

The practice fields (between the parking lot and the fieldhouse) would also need to be re-done.

All in all it looks daunting...but I think they can get it done...IF (and thats a BIG IF) they get the financial and community backing.