PDA

View Full Version : Strong FCS showing in GQ's Douchiest Colleges

BlueHenSinfonian
July 21st, 2011, 08:33 PM
Apparently the staff at GQ decided to make a list of the 10 Douchiest Colleges in the US. The FCS ended up having a few show up:

#8 Delaware - Douchy because of, umm, Asians and straight people apparently?

#3 Yale - Douchy because of presidential aspirations, secret societies, and bisexual people.

#1 Cornell - Douchy because of being under-appreciated.

The whole thing is sort of goofy and not very well thought out, but here's the link if you want to experience the madness:

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humor/201108/douchiest-colleges-america-2011#slide=1

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM
I actually thought it was pretty good. I loved Cornell's "bubble thought" and Penn State at #2 is priceless.

Bogus Megapardus
July 21st, 2011, 09:24 PM
I just sent that list to my better half who is a Cornell alum. She asked me what "douchiest" meant.

crusader11
July 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Pretty much any Ivy League school selected would have been fine by me.

Bogus Megapardus
July 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Pretty much any Ivy League school selected would have been fine by me.

My ranking of Ivy Douchiness (as derived from the GQ benchmarks):

1. Harvard
2. Brown
3. Columbia
4. Yale
5. Princeton
6. Penn
7. Cornell
8. Dartmouth

Feel free to comment. I suspect a PL list can't be far behind.

EDIT: Were Duke an Ivy school, it would be #1 by a clear margin.

cmaxwellgsu
July 21st, 2011, 10:47 PM
Love that Andy Benard made Cornell's alumni list....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUz4RnoWSM

crusader11
July 21st, 2011, 10:53 PM

1. Harvard
2. Brown
3. Columbia
4. Yale
5. Princeton
6. Penn
7. Cornell
8. Dartmouth

Being a graduate of the class of 2011, I have known many people at all of these schools. 1 and 2 are dead on by a far margin. Although Harvard and Yale are similar to one another in so many ways, the level of "douchiest" definitely favors Harvard.

Do we dare implement these rankings for the Patriot League? Things could get messy around these parts...

JRCA
July 21st, 2011, 11:13 PM
Cornell was the only one I found funny; it was really hilarious.

Twentysix
July 22nd, 2011, 12:57 AM
Love that Andy Benard made Cornell's alumni list....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUz4RnoWSM

I assume ed helms did not go to Cornell.

Rob Iola
July 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
"Rampant heterosexuality" - Delaware, the breeder's choice...

Franks Tanks
July 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Cornell was the only one I found funny; it was really hilarious.

The Cornell write up was funny, but I don't think it makes their students sound like douche's-- just pathetic.

phoenixphanatic21
July 22nd, 2011, 08:48 AM

1. Harvard
2. Brown
3. Columbia
4. Yale
5. Princeton
6. Penn
7. Cornell
8. Dartmouth

Oh, far and away the douchiest.

Apphole
July 22nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Oh, far and away the douchiest.

UNC is the douchiest public school

TribeAdvocate
July 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM

+10000000000000000 Far and away.

I don't get that impression from Cornell and, at least in the northeast, I know that their grads are VERY highly regarded. I understand what they were going for, and it was funny, but I don't necessarily think it's true.

Redwyn
July 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
+10000000000000000 Far and away.

I don't get that impression from Cornell and, at least in the northeast, I know that their grads are VERY highly regarded. I understand what they were going for, and it was funny, but I don't necessarily think it's true.

It's not about how good their grads are. Cornell is indeed quite a strong school. It's their relative age in the Ivy League and their perceived "safety Ivy" standing by the rest that gives them a pride napoleon complex. It does inlay a certain attitude, and when I started med school it was VERY easy to figure out who was a Cornell grad - they literally all acted exactly the same.

That being said, having worked with grads of almost every Ivy, I'd take Cornell before Harvard/Princeton/Yale in a SECOND. This applies double in hard science and engineering fields. No competition in my mind - they just work their asses off. Cornell doesn't foster a creative academic atmosphere like some science schools might, but there is no one with a better traditional academic core than a Cornellian.

jmufan999
July 22nd, 2011, 01:06 PM

No way, it's UVA. They don't call it "UVA", they call it "The University" in a Thurston Howell (Gilligan's Island) type voice.

It's not "campus", it's "the grounds".

They're not "freshman", they're "first years".

Total. Frickin'. Douches.

Sader87
July 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
BC

asumike83
July 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hard to say but in my experience, UNC and UVA and neck-and-neck in terms in public school douchebaggery. Very, very high opinions of themselves.

jmufan999
July 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Hard to say but in my experience, UNC and UVA and neck-and-neck in terms in public school douchebaggery. Very, very high opinions of themselves.

interesting... didn't know UNC was like that. what about NC State?

TribeAdvocate
July 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
It's not about how good their grads are. Cornell is indeed quite a strong school. It's their relative age in the Ivy League and their perceived "safety Ivy" standing by the rest that gives them a pride napoleon complex. It does inlay a certain attitude, and when I started med school it was VERY easy to figure out who was a Cornell grad - they literally all acted exactly the same.

That being said, having worked with grads of almost every Ivy, I'd take Cornell before Harvard/Princeton/Yale in a SECOND. This applies double in hard science and engineering fields. No competition in my mind - they just work their asses off. Cornell doesn't foster a creative academic atmosphere like some science schools might, but there is no one with a better traditional academic core than a Cornellian.

See, I always got this impression from the Brown grads that I've met, but you may have had more interaction with the grads than I have.

StorminASU
July 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
interesting... didn't know UNC was like that. what about NC State?

I've never met an NCSU grad that was anywhere near the level UNC grads are on. They're usually very down to earth; UNC grads on the other hand poop flowers and potpourri

AppState913
July 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
In NC, UNC = UVA and NC State = VA Tech

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Congratulations!?