PDA

View Full Version : Southern Utah's Schedule Woes

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
What the hey? Playing Oct 7th and then turning around and playing Oct 10th? Did they really need to do that? Seems SUU is having loads of schedule issues...

Beazer pieces together SUU football schedule
By RICH JOHNSON
[email protected]

CEDAR CITY - When Ken Beazer left Utah State to become Southern Utah's athletic director, the Aggies' athletic director told him football scheduling would be his greatest challenge.

"He's right," Beazer said.

Scheduling has been a headache for Beazer since he took over in January. The Thunderbirds were dropped by UNLV, Northern Arizona and Idaho State, and Division I-A schools have backed off after initial offers of six-digit money guarantees.

"I've had no less than a dozen Division I-A teams call me, even as recently as (Friday) morning, asking me if we would come play them," Beazer said. "When I informed them that we're not a counter, they backed off."

A "counter" is a term used to describe whether I-A teams can count a game against a I-AA squad toward a bowl berth. According to NCAA bylaws, a I-AA team is a counter only if it averages 90 percent of the permissible scholarship equivalencies.

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060318/SPORTS/603180334/1006

Current 2006 Football Schedule

Date Opponent Time Location
Sept. 2 Montana Tech 6 p.m. Cedar City
Sept. 9 Western State 6 p.m. Cedar City
Sept. 16 at Weber State TBA Ogden
Sept. 23 Texas State (Homecoming) 6 p.m. Cedar City
Sept. 30 at Cal Poly* 7 p.m. San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Oct. 7 at McNeese State 6 p.m. Lake Charles, La.
Oct. 10 at UC Davis* TBA Davis, Calif.
Oct. 28 North Dakota State* 1 p.m. Cedar City
Nov. 11 South Dakota State* 1 p.m. Cedar City
Nov. 18 at Southern Illinois 2 p.m. Carbondale, Ill.

March 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM
10/10 - Tuesday at Davis? I talked to Rich and he said that was a typo and that it is a Saturday game (10/21).

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2006, 04:52 PM
10/10 - Tuesday at Davis? Sounds fishy and looks like a typo.

I'd hope so...

Seems the SUU web site as them playing 10/21 @ UC-Davis...

http://www.suu.edu/athletics/football/schedule.html

Freightliner
March 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM
10/10 - Tuesday at Davis? I talked to Rich and he said that was a typo and that it is a Saturday game (10/21).

It is,

According to SUU's website, the game is scheduled for Oct 21st.

slostang
March 19th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I did not realize that SUU was not fully funded. Sounds like they are pushing to get there though. Let's go Thunderbirds.

aggie6thman
March 19th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Aren't NDSU and Cal Poly the only teams in the GWFC that are playoff eligible? Looks like SUU has the same problems that we have had this year. : smh :

March 19th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Aren't NDSU and Cal Poly the only teams in the GWFC that are playoff eligible? Looks like SUU has the same problems that we have had this year. : smh :No, only Cal Poly and Southern Utah are playoff eligible in the GWFC. UCD, NDSU and SDSU are still provisional.

slostang
March 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM
No, only Cal Poly and Southern Utah are playoff eligible in the GWFC. UCD, NDSU and SDSU are still provisional.
I believe Davis is eligible in 2007 and NDSU and SDSU are eligible in 2008. Cal Poly and NDSU are the only teams that are fully funded with 63 scholarships.

dbackjon
March 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM
SUU really dropped the ball on schollies - the difference in schollies needed to be a "counter" is $125,000, easily coverable by a D-1 money game.

Sorry that NAU dropped them for a money game - I really wish NAU didn't have to have the money games, and would be a great rivalry to play SUU every year.

89Hen
March 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Wow, talk about feast or famine OOC...

Sept. 2 Montana Tech - NAIA team
Sept. 9 Western State - A 3-8 DII school

Sept. 23 Texas State (Homecoming) 6 p.m. Cedar City - I-AA National Semifinalist
Oct. 7 at McNeese State 6 p.m. Lake Charles, La. - perenial I-AA powerhouse (11-3 vs I-AA OOC in last 4 years)
Nov. 18 at Southern Illinois 2 p.m. Carbondale, Ill. - I-AA National Quarterfinalist