PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League limiting full-contact practice (concussions)

Mountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ivy League limiting full-contact practice

In an effort to reduce the number of concussions and subconcussive hits, Ivy League football teams will be allowed to have just two full-contact practices a week, three fewer than the NCAA allows.

The league announced Wednesday that the presidents of its eight schools have accepted a series of recommendations made by a special committee that put the Ivy League in a leadership role in trying to limit concussive hits in football.

The recommendations, which will take effect this season, also limit contact workouts to one during preseason two-a-day workouts. The league also will put further emphasis on educating student-athletes on proper tackling technique, recognizing the signs and symptoms of concussion, and the potential short- and long-term ramifications of repetitive brain trauma.

The league also told players there will be more stringent postgame league reviews of helmet-to-helmet and targeted hits, including the suspension of players.

More at: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6787238/ivy-league-limit-full-contact-football-workouts

Wildcat80
July 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
FCS teams are likely already limiting contact situations due to concerns about any type of injury to key players. With everything we know today about head injuries I hate to see any helmet-to-helmet contact. Coaches need to adapt to the times.

Go...gate
July 20th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I think it is a great idea.

dgtw
July 20th, 2011, 05:10 PM
John Gagliardi of Division III St. John's University has no contact at his team's practices. He's done pretty well despite that.

Mountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I think it is a great idea.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea as well. Wouldn't mind seeing these sorts of safety measures taking place across all conferences.

Not sure about the suspensions for game day helmet hits though after seeing the stink they've caused in the NFL (with many being accidental, IMO). Now, if someone is out headhunting that's a different story..

Franks Tanks
July 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
This rule probably won't change anything, as the vast majority of D-I fotball teams only go full pads and contact 2 days a week during the season. This will however raise awareness of head injuries, and perhaps safer practice methods

Redhawk2010
July 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM
This rule probably won't change anything, as the vast majority of D-I fotball teams only go full pads and contact 2 days a week during the season. This will however raise awareness of head injuries, and perhaps safer practice methods

I would guess many don't even do that much. At SEMO, very little of it is full-contact. The problem is the players still move with the mentality of the kill-shot even if they are only wearing "shells" and so there's more contact than necessary. At the DI level and throughout most of college, there really is no need to go full-contact much during the week. In fall camp, maybe some but in the season not so much..

BlueHenSinfonian
July 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I remember an article this past year talking about how UD had moved to no-tackle practices. FWIW, it seems to have worked out well enough this past year, as the team seemed to mostly escape the injury monster that plagued others in the league.

Franks Tanks
July 20th, 2011, 09:58 PM
The article also says they are limiting pre-season practice to one full padded session a day. The NCAA already banned double session practices on consecutive days a few years ago. The era of fully padded double sessions for days on end appear to be just about over.

Less than decade ago I had to suffer through 2 full contact practices a day for 8-10 days in row. The headache would set in right around day 2 and last through the end of camp. I now know what the old timers feel like, but I am glad that current and future players will be better protected.

Redhawk2010
July 20th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Realistically high schools are the only ones doing two-a-days til at all. NCAA cut it for the most part a few years ago and the NFL appears to be eliminating them as well. I just wonder when the high school associations will outlaw them as well.