PDA

View Full Version : Samford University joined the SoCon for PBS coverage...

blazrdog#1
July 19th, 2011, 07:52 PM
you have got to be kidding me??!!If this is such a great idea then why hasn't the Patriot League taken advantage of such a package?I could see that bunch jumping for joy over such a deal!OH MY GAG!!!And who was it that said Siebert Stadium was a good place for a nap?Now the entire SoCon will be a great place to take a nap!!!!

cmaxwellgsu
July 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Come on dude. We want our fans to be able to learn to paint after watching the game.

Apphole
July 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Surprising that a Sammy fan is as pissed as us App and GSU fans. I agree and I love the thread title.

Bogus Megapardus
July 19th, 2011, 08:17 PM
PBS used to carry Ivy games in the 80s and 90s.

EDIT: I actually looked this up. PBS carried Ivy games from 1984-1987

From 1984 to 1987, PBS broadcast Ivy League football. Dick Galiette and Upton Bell called games for the first season and Marty Glickman and Bob Casciola called the games in 1985. In 1986, PBS increased its coverage and had two announcing teams, Brian Dowling and Sean McDonough, who had been the sideline reporter for the prior two seasons were the play by play announcers and Bob Casciola and Len Simonian were the color analysts. For the final season McDonough and Jack Corrigan were the game announcers and Mike Madden was the sideline reporter.

superman7515
July 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks for joining us after the game folks.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/bob-ross.jpg

Now up there in the mountains, we're going to paint a happy little stadium. We're going to take our fan brush... A little burnt umber... Maybe give him a friend... A happy little tree right next to the entry... Maybe it's playoffs... We'll add a few snowflakes...

Apphole
July 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for joining us after the game folks.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/bob-ross.jpg

Now up there in the mountains, we're going to paint a happy little stadium. We're going to take our fan brush... A little burnt umber... Maybe give him a friend... A happy little tree right next to the entry... Maybe it's playoffs... We'll add a few snowflakes...
Best PBS joke yet

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
The terrible programing that is on PBS still gets higher ratings than SS. Even in the south.

The Cats
July 19th, 2011, 09:03 PM
you have got to be kidding me??!!!!!

Maybe the OVC will take you back. Why don't you ask?

jsualum97
July 19th, 2011, 09:13 PM
We don't want them....its bad enough!!

ASUMountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
you have got to be kidding me??!!If this is such a great idea then why hasn't the Patriot League taken advantage of such a package?I could see that bunch jumping for joy over such a deal!OH MY GAG!!!And who was it that said Siebert Stadium was a good place for a nap?Now the entire SoCon will be a great place to take a nap!!!!

xlolx xlolx

Saint3333
July 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I can't believe these private school alumni picking on public TV, Elonpride please correct this clearly misinformed fan...

Samford has every right to be pissed.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I can't believe these private school alumni picking on public TV, Elonpride please correct this clearly misinformed fan...

He must be a closet App fan.

Apphole
July 20th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I don't understand why chattown is so on board. He won't be able to watch any games. I guess it goes along with his backwards way of thinking on most topics.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM
According to the press release, Georgia PBS is widely available in Chattanooga and so that core market is covered.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
According to the press release, Georgia PBS is widely available in Chattanooga and so that core market is covered.

Unfortunately, Chattanooga recruits the WHOLE of tennessee and not just Chattanooga. It is a STATE university after all.

ElonPride
July 20th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Yeah, I would be mad if I were a Samford fan. Especially seeing that nearly 100% of every other market represented by SoCon teams is covered.....even Chatt unlike what Apphole stated.

Smitty
July 20th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, Chattanooga recruits the WHOLE of tennessee and not just Chattanooga. It is a STATE university after all.

I'm sure that the high school recruits begging their parents to buy them the Sports South Channel to watch SoCon football before...

I've never watched the SoCon on SS and probably won't watch the football on PBS. My Saturday's are pretty full with watching FBS and attending FCS games

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'm sure that the high school recruits begging their parents to buy them the Sports South Channel to watch SoCon football before...

I've never watched the SoCon on SS and probably won't watch the football on PBS. My Saturday's are pretty full with watching FBS and attending FCS games

Yeah, the families and friends dont matter. At least SS had some TV coverage of Tennessee. This deal has none.

And I am at the games too, but I also like to record them. I like to watch all those Ws again. I see why a Western fan wouldnt care.

cmaxwellgsu
July 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I don't understand why chattown is so on board. He won't be able to watch any games. I guess it goes along with his backwards way of thinking on most topics.

Apparently Chattown spends his Saturdays singing Rocky Top in orange. He's probably happy that Chatty can't take away any viewers.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=205180299

streaming is free so you out of market guys can cancel the directv sportspack

i have read over many press releases and articles and I cannot find any that mention the subchannels so I have to believe it is on the Main PBS. The UTC press release lists the channels of the main Georgia PBS not the subchannels so again I do not think this will be an issue.

Is UNC Tv available in eastern TN, like Johnston City, etc. I would think that Chattanooga and everything east of that would be covered by GA or NC PBS.

chattownmocs
July 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Why wouldnt I be able to watch any games? Chattanooga gets GPB on basic cable.

chattownmocs
July 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM

And this has what to do with it? "Oh no, we can see the game on SS anymore? I'm not going to UTC then" Im going to Tennessee, because their games are always on TV" If a kid is considering UTC, Chances are none of his other schools that have offered him a committable scholarship are on tv either, as if that would play a factor.

Bogus Megapardus
July 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Why wouldnt I be able to watch any games? Chattanooga gets GPB on basic cable.

Forget basic cable. PBS is available just about anywhere in the U.S. for free by using an old-fashioned "rabbit ear" antenna hooked directly to your television. For an older TV you might have to buy a cheap digital tuner, but you should have one of those anyhow.

I actually have met people who have no idea that network television is available freely, in high definition, over the air. The data are uncompressed so the picture is even better quality than you get with a cable box or satellite. For sports I always use an antenna even if the game is available on cable because it's better quality.

ElonPride
July 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I actually have met people who have no idea that network television is available freely, in high definition, over the air. The data are uncompressed so it's even better quality than you get with a cable box or satellite. For sports I always use an antenna even if the game is available on cable because it's better quality.

This is what I've been saying for a while. Better quality, hands down. I made an antenna for about $10 that works better than anything store bought. It seriously only takes about 10 minutes to build. Much like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw. People laugh until they see the reception.

There is a growing trend in households with people below 30. They're rediscovering FREE TV and dumping the paid providers (but keeping internet service). I still don't understand why people pay all that money for a cable/sat provider.

Bogus Megapardus
July 20th, 2011, 11:45 AM
This is what I've been saying for a while. Better quality, hands down. I made an antenna for about $10 that works better than anything store bought. It seriously only takes about 10 minutes to build. Much like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw. People laugh until they see the reception.

There is a growing trend in households with people below 30. They're rediscovering FREE TV and dumping the paid providers (but keeping internet service). I still don't understand why people pay all that money for a cable/sat provider.

That's a great video. It's funny - the antenna the guy actually tosses away (in favor of his superior homemade version) is exactly like the one I use. It sits on a window sill and I use it to watch every Lafayette game, home and away, when I can't be there myself. It's always perfect quality with no dithering or pixelation like you get with cable or satellite.

Cheapest way to get unlimited telephone, internet and television: Get a Boost Mobile or a Virgin Mobile 3G phone and tether it to your computer for internet access (instructions for how to do this are everywhere), then buy or build an antenna to take advantage of free, high-definition over-the-air broadcasts. Cost: $25-$35 per month. Cost of equivalent cable/satellite/phone/internet: $160 per month.

ElonPride
July 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM
That's a great video. It's funny - the antenna the guy actually tosses away (in favor of his superior homemade version) is exactly like the one I use. It sits on a window sill and I use it to watch every Lafayette game, home and away, when I can't be there myself. It's always perfect quality with no dithering or pixelation like you get with cable or satellite.

Word to the wise if you do make one. Use clothes line wire instead of coat hangers.

AppAlum2003
July 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Agreed, but some areas still can't pull down many stations OTA. I know in Hickory you can only get NBC, CBS and sometimes PBS if you hold your mouth right. Now, that doesn't mean you can't go get a big, bad external antenna and pull down ALL of the Charlotte channels.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM

i am one of those people!!!!!

In Wilmington, you can get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and ION with an indoor antenna ($40). Combine that with ATT DSL and you get ESPN3.com as part of your monthly internet bill for sports. Throw in $10.00 netflix and free Hulu and you will have plenty to watch. The only thing I can't watch ironically is games on FSN (like the Hurricanes). SportSouth was never available in Wilmington or else I would include the SoCon games we are debating

ElonPride
July 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
i am one of those people!!!!!

In Wilmington, you can get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and ION with an indoor antenna ($40). Combine that with ATT DSL and you get ESPN3.com as part of your monthly internet bill for sports. Throw in $10.00 netflix and free Hulu and you will have plenty to watch. The only thing I can't watch ironically is games on FSN (like the Hurricanes). SportSouth was never available in Wilmington or else I would include the SoCon games we are debating

In the same boat here. You really don't miss too much dumping the TV provider if you have OTA, internet and the Netflix deal.

A fellow co worker picks ups stations as far away as New Jersey with his rooftop antenna.

TheBisonator
July 20th, 2011, 12:39 PM
The terrible programing that is on PBS still gets higher ratings than SS. Even in the south.

PBS has awesome docs (Frontline). That's about it.

Apphole
July 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I didn't realize GA/NC public television was accessible in Tennessee. My mistake

ValleyBoy
July 20th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I cannot blame Samford for being upset. I live in Alabama right on the Georgia line and pick up both Alabama PBS & Georgia PBS. The programing is not always the same. It is a shame that the SoCon could not get Alabama PBS included in the broadcast package.

AppAlum2003
July 20th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I cannot blame Samford for being upset. I live in Alabama right on the Georgia line and pick up both Alabama PBS & Georgia PBS. The programing is not always the same. It is a shame that the SoCon could not get Alabama PBS included in the broadcast package.

Yeah, but it was Grover's birthday and they were planning this whole thing and it just didn't work into the scheduling... maybe next year tho!

OL FU
July 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Well at least I now know why Samford joined the SoConxnodxxeyebrowx

WUTNDITWAA
July 20th, 2011, 02:08 PM
In the same boat here. You really don't miss too much dumping the TV provider if you have OTA, internet and the Netflix deal.

A fellow co worker picks ups stations as far away as New Jersey with his rooftop antenna.

Thanks for the hanging-curve. There are so many ways I could take that one, but I'll let it sit there for a while.

The Eagle's Cliff
July 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I didn't realize GA/NC public television was accessible in Tennessee. My mistake

How else would you account for their 25% literacy rate?

Skjellyfetti
July 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Was Erk literate? Gut tells me no... but, I can't be sure.

chattownmocs
July 20th, 2011, 06:20 PM
How else would you account for their 25% literacy rate?

So What is Georgia's 10 percent? Tennessee's educational system is far from elite but it ranks ahead of Georgia's(one of the very worst in the country) in every category.

Apphole
July 20th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I'm sure South Carolina is even lower

OL FU
July 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I'm sure South Carolina is even lower

FUxthumbsupx

whoanellie
July 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
just a rumor: announcers "Wayne & Garth" Wayne's World Party on, DUDE!!!!!