PDA

View Full Version : Wichita TV station does report on football at Wichita State

TheBisonator
July 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Probably the most info on the situation I have gotten from one article or news story, though I must admit I was not well-versed in this issue.

The story is a three-parter and is here: http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/Questionable-call-Should-WSU-bring-back-football/EkngwMoldEmFn5pNYo7bkw.cspx

Our resident Wichita State fan (Shockerman??) would probably know about this.

Redbird Ray
July 18th, 2011, 01:43 PM
WSU is the kind of school that would jump to CUSA, WAC, MWC over sticking around in FCS ball for too long. That said, I would loooove to see WSU get football back someday. Hopefully they can get a more open-minded administration someday.

TheBisonator
July 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
WSU is the kind of school that would jump to CUSA, WAC, MWC over sticking around in FCS ball for too long. That said, I would loooove to see WSU get football back someday. Hopefully they can get a more open-minded administration someday.

If the NCAA would ever let the MVFC go to FBS as a conference, I think WSU could help in that goal.

Their football glory days were in the Missouri Valley, why not have their future be in the Valley for football??

Redbird Ray
July 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I would love to see the Valley pick up FBS football again, but it's a pipedream. MSU, ISUR, SIU and NDSU could make the move within the next ten years. If WSU were to bring football back that would be 5 schools. The MVFC would need to entice 3-4 already present FBS schools into the fold. NIU, Tulsa, North Texas, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Western Kentucky, and Arkansas State are a few programs in the MVC footprint that might be persuaded to jump leagues if Valley bball could ever get back consistently to its 2000s form.

That said, there's a lot of ifs in that previous paragraph. It's more of a pipedream than anything that will ever happen, but it would be awesome to see someday. If WSU fans would be content being an FCS power, they could be a tremendous asset to the MVFC someday.

ValleyChamp
July 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I would love to see the Valley pick up FBS football again, but it's a pipedream. MSU, ISUR, SIU and NDSU could make the move within the next ten years. If WSU were to bring football back that would be 5 schools. The MVFC would need to entice 3-4 already present FBS schools into the fold. NIU, Tulsa, North Texas, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Western Kentucky, and Arkansas State are a few programs in the MVC footprint that might be persuaded to jump leagues if Valley bball could ever get back consistently to its 2000s form.

wow, speaking of pipedreams...

Interesting that you include MSU and ISU in your little fantasy, yet no UNI. Despite the fact that UNI is superior to both schools in terms of football budget, attendance, on field success, and football facilities.

Keep dreamin' son.

Redbird Ray
July 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM
That's nice champ. Hey, tell me again, we're talking about the same UNI athletics program that just cut baseball and is constantly rumored to be heading toward a more likely future in non-scholly or D2 football right, son?

I admitted my scenario was highly unlikely, but if something like an FBS MVC conference were to ever unfold, that's how I would see it. Again, there's about a .00000000000002% of chance of anything like this ever happening.

Look forward to kicking your *** Nov 19th.

Twentysix
July 18th, 2011, 04:44 PM
That's nice champ. Hey, tell me again, we're talking about the same UNI athletics program that just cut baseball and is constantly rumored to be heading toward a more likely future in non-scholly or D2 football right, son?

I admitted my scenario was highly unlikely, but if something like an FBS MVC conference were to ever unfold, that's how I would see it. Again, there's about a .00000000000002% of chance of anything like this ever happening.

Look forward to kicking your *** Nov 19th.

Oh snap. Would the iowa political body that resides over schools allow UNI into FBS football? Or would they rather castrate you similar to what happened to UNO to help perserve NU's football dominance.

ValleyChamp
July 18th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Constantly rumored, by who, people like you? Unsubstantiated. There was a study done a year or two ago, and it was discovered that dropping down would only be more of a financial burden for a school like UNI.

UNI has had to make several cuts to their budget in the last few years because of state cuts, and baseball was a necessary casualty. That said, Iowa's financial issues pale in comparison to the mess that is the state of Illinois.

Ya know, isn't Illinois State the school that is eliminating seats from their craphole of a stadium? lol

TheBisonator
July 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM
UNI vs ISU Red flame war!! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!!!!<s>

ValleyChamp
July 18th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Sorry for the thread derail. But I am sick of hearing non-stop, absolutely delusional FBS talk from every freaking school.

I do not see football at Wichita State happening anytime soon. They did not have the proper support for football the first time around, and it is much more of a commitment now.

MSUBear42
July 18th, 2011, 07:04 PM
WSU was mentioned with Missouri State in those CUSA rumors for football going FBS in 5-6 years, fwiw

ValleyChamp
July 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM
WSU was mentioned with Missouri State in those CUSA rumors for football going FBS in 5-6 years, fwiw

/facepalm

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 18th, 2011, 08:03 PM
From watching the videos posted with the stories, if enrollment trends are true, ETSU could be in for a state of decline soon, if not starting already. If the local TV stations in NE TN did a similar story on ETSU football, it would be interesting to see what kind of poll numbers would come in on the return of football at ETSU. I agree with Mr. Schlichte (sp?) that it all begins with the right kind of leadership, which is something neither Wichita St. nor ETSU have at this time.

Redbird Ray
July 18th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Constantly rumored, by who, people like you? Unsubstantiated. There was a study done a year or two ago, and it was discovered that dropping down would only be more of a financial burden for a school like UNI.

UNI has had to make several cuts to their budget in the last few years because of state cuts, and baseball was a necessary casualty. That said, Iowa's financial issues pale in comparison to the mess that is the state of Illinois.

Ya know, isn't Illinois State the school that is eliminating seats from their craphole of a stadium? lol

All of Illinois' collegiate athletics programs are almost entirely funded by private donations. We get zero funding from the state, so the fact that the state is broke means almost nothing.

ISU is reducing capacity this year, and yes, that sucks. But we also have an administration that ultimately supports an FBS move, which is something a lot of other FCS schools do not have. We also have over 21,000 students, the second highest academic rating of any public university in the state (in a state with over 12 million people), a CMSA of close to 500,000 people (Peoria, Bloomington/Normal, Decatur, Springfield, Champaign), and a metro of 10 million people 2 hours up the road. There's plenty of room for another FBS team to feed off the Chicago/Illinois market.

Our football team and tradition is only going to grow stronger, and our facilities will not be weak for much longer. As soon as ISU starts winning on a consistent basis with a newly renovated stadium, we will be a pretty desirable choice for most non-BCS FBS conferences. I don't know what the timeline for all of this will be, but it's going to happen sometime. Likely around the same time UNI will be fighting off Valpo for the Pioneer League title.

Redbird Ray
July 18th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Maybe it's good that Wichita doesn't have football. That fanbase also has a fair share of insufferable aholes. I would kind of love to see the Shocker fanbase go head to head with the Bison fanbase over football though. xlolxxlolxxlolx

ValleyChamp
July 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM
All of Illinois' collegiate athletics programs are almost entirely funded by private donations. We get zero funding from the state, so the fact that the state is broke means almost nothing.

ISU is reducing capacity this year, and yes, that sucks. But we also have an administration that ultimately supports an FBS move, which is something a lot of other FCS schools do not have. We also have over 21,000 students, the second highest academic rating of any public university in the state (in a state with over 12 million people), a CMSA of close to 500,000 people (Peoria, Bloomington/Normal, Decatur, Springfield, Champaign), and a metro of 10 million people 2 hours up the road. There's plenty of room for another FBS team to feed off the Chicago/Illinois market.

Our football team and tradition is only going to grow stronger, and our facilities will not be weak for much longer. As soon as ISU starts winning on a consistent basis with a newly renovated stadium, we will be a pretty desirable choice for most non-BCS FBS conferences. I don't know what the timeline for all of this will be, but it's going to happen sometime. Likely around the same time UNI will be fighting off Valpo for the Pioneer League title.

Yes, the school that is tearing down seating because of the lack of attendance, and overall awfulness of their stadium, the FBS is imminent. LOL

And, lmao at you trying to claim all those other cities as part of ISU's "market". Half of those cities have their own universities to support.

Feel free to come mock me, as I will eat all the crow you would like me to eat, the day that ISU joins the FBS. That is, if we are still alive.

Western_101
July 18th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Redbird Ray, it seems to me that being that ISU is a mediocre FCS football program with lousy facilities you might expect to receive a little flack for all of your FBS chest pounding.

Now before you go aiming your sights at me, I will admit that WIU's facilities are lacking and that we too could fall in the realm of being considered mediocre. One little caveat, You don't ever hear anybody from the WIU camp going on and on about how an FBS move is right around the corner. Even if WIU could find a way to fund FBS (facilities upgrades, schollies) WIU has neither the geographical or Metropolitan footprint that would be attractive to an FBS conference suitor.

I do like B/N and ISU and the new stuff with uptown. Seems to me though for the Birds the FBS ship sailed in the 70's. Not to say ISU couldn't move up but realistically that is at least 15-20 years out. Seems to me the imediate focus for ISU should be a real nice 15,000 stadium that could be expandable....and then pile up the wins.....IMO that is the best recipe.

Redbird Ray
July 19th, 2011, 08:56 AM
That's exactly the recipe for ISU, and I never said FBS was right around the corner. I said we will get there someday. I never once in any of these posts said that we will be playing FBS ball in 2 years or something like that. You guys have been taking almost everything I have said here out of context.

For the first time in ISU's history we have an administration that understands the role of a successful football program to the growth of the university. It is going to take time, but I definitely believe that someday ISU will be playing FBS ball. These days, Tier 1 universities with enrollments in excess of 20K, in states with large populations just don't stick around FCS for too long. UMass is getting out, Texas State is getting out, and when ISU can poole together the proper resources, we will be gone as well.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy FCS football, and I would like to see us compete at the highest level here, but I just don't see ISU staying in this division for the long haul.

Redbird Ray
July 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
One more thing, the capacity reduction is not due to a lack of interest, but just poor maintenance. Those seats have been filled for virtually every game for the last ten years. Again, past admins at the university have not taken football seriously, and now steps are being taken to assure that we place a higher premium on our facilities.

Right now, the west side of Hancock is getting new bleachers and about 300 new seats. It's not much, but it's a start.

TheBisonator
July 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM
One more thing, the capacity reduction is not due to a lack of interest, but just poor maintenance. Those seats have been filled for virtually every game for the last ten years. Again, past admins at the university have not taken football seriously, and now steps are being taken to assure that we place a higher premium on our facilities.

Right now, the west side of Hancock is getting new bleachers and about 300 new seats. It's not much, but it's a start.

What's gonna happen to the other side of the stadium, the side where you're tearing all the seats out? Aren't you going to build new seating there too??

Western_101
July 19th, 2011, 06:53 PM
It's my understanding Bisonator that the seats that were removed at ISU were the endzone bleachers on the South end I think a grass berm is going in there for the short term. The West side bleachers really strike me as safety concern, I walked by there just 3 days ago.