PDA

View Full Version : Your band

SoCon48
July 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Where is the band located in your stadium: on the side in back of the home team, on the side in back of the visiting team, in one of the endzone stands?

Sir William
July 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Our band sits in stands in the endzone. However, they are so dead during the game, it would be better if they just played the national anthem, followed by our fight song as the team runs out on the field, and then leave. While the Furman band always puts on a pretty good half-time show, they are one of the worst gametime bands in the country. And it's been that way for a long, long time. When App or GSU brings their bands to Paladin stadium, it would be hard for a blind man to know whose home-field he's actually at. Honestly, it's embarrassing. :(

That said...I actually love App's fight song and the response of App's crowd to it. Great atmosphere in Boone!

NuJerzBullDog
July 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM
our band sits in the curve our stadium on the home side near the students.. i would prefer them to sit in the endzone under the scoreboard but hey they sound great and it wouldnt be bulldog football with out them

mad_dog97
July 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM
At JMU the band is in the endzone, and is a huge part of the game/pagentry.

TheDancinMonarch
July 17th, 2011, 01:53 PM
At ODU they are on the visitor side of the end zone.

OL FU
July 17th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Our band sits in stands in the endzone. However, they are so dead during the game, it would be better if they just played the national anthem, followed by our fight song as the team runs out on the field, and then leave. While the Furman band always puts on a pretty good half-time show, they are one of the worst gametime bands in the country. And it's been that way for a long, long time. When App or GSU brings their bands to Paladin stadium, it would be hard for a blind man to know whose home-field he's actually at. Honestly, it's embarrassing. :(

That said...I actually love App's fight song and the response of App's crowd to it. Great atmosphere in Boone!

There is some truth to that. The band is much more interested in musicality than revving up the crowd. Personally I enjoy it more than most bands, but it isn't really suited to football.

DFW HOYA
July 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Home side, 10 yard line. Not very memorable.

MSUBear42
July 17th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Away side, 50 yard line, but sounds like they will be moving into endzone bleachers this year:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2yxrfvk.jpg

Twentysix
July 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
(I believe south side) Endzone.

Redhawk2010
July 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Our band is on the North Side of the stadium behind and off to the side of the visiting team. Our student section is behind the visiting team. Our band is clueless; they don't even know our mascot I don't think...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Our band is in the end zone bleachers along with the students. They're small in number compared to UMass/JMU/UD, but very active and sound pretty good. And I think UNH has a pretty good fight song which they play well and often. I recall Uncle Buck saying they made a game at Hofstra feel like it was a UNH home game.

pleahy1
July 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Georgia Southern's band is right in the middle of the student section, just to the side of the visitor bench. This is a good thing until we host a playoff game, and then everyone has to move back so we don't upset the visiting team too much.

achrist70
July 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Home side of the field, right next to the student section probably between 30 and 20 yard line.

HailSzczur
July 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Our band sits on the home side, at about the 25 yard line, in the student section, with those who realize we actually have a team....not that theyre much of force. During the 2009 playoff run they were MIA for 2 games for finals and winter break and we had to use canned music through the PA system. During football season V for Villanova and the Alma Mater are some of the only things they play well and they are a "scrambling" band. By the time basketball season rolls around though they have the size down, the sounds tighter, and they are really in great form.

Smitty
July 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM
in between the G-40 yard lines and it gets loud with opponents right there...

DaBigBlue
July 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM
You can see where the band sits for ODU in the lower section of the end zone. I've heard we are adding a platform for the band under the scoreboard and that will free up another 500 tickets.

http://media.merchantcircle.com/30136947/MC%203501_medium.jpeg

Can't imagine gameday without the band, we tailgate next to the Monarch March. It's pretty cool, the team marches from the Practice Facility to the Gameday Building and the Band follows shortly behind.

http://76.12.168.181/Images/Fields/ODU%20Opening%20Night2.jpg

melloware13
July 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'm in the UD band, and we sit in the South (student section) end zone, on the home side of the stands. When an away band comes in, they are on the north side of the East (away) stands, with some bands (UMass) spilling into the North end zone.

appsfan
July 17th, 2011, 08:08 PM
ASU is moving the band to the North end zone this year, a move I hope is permanent. I would expect the whole stadium will be able to hear them rather than the seats on the opposite side. Last year, they were on the East Side of KBS and before that on the West Side...

bjtheflamesfan
July 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
If you look at the student side (visitor bench) from the press box at Liberty, the band is in the far right section. I'll try to get a picture the first home game Sept 10

Twentysix
July 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics24/640/IR/IRJQPMBTOOOZRWP.20091009015033.jpg

You can see where our band sits in that picture. It appears they are either filing out of the seats or back into them. The big missing red spot is in the center of where the band sits.

Humble Steward
July 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Our band sits on the home side field next to the students. The "Pride" is something special to see. Here's a link to the photos of our band performing at the 2009 Superbowl. Also a link to the Cadillac commercial featuring our band that was aired during the Superbowl.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27016244@N02/3250595791/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0UGtErRJYo

Let's Go Wildcats!!! I am ready for some football.

superman7515
July 17th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I'm in the UD band, and we sit in the South (student section) end zone, on the home side of the stands. When an away band comes in, they are on the north side of the East (away) stands, with some bands (UMass) spilling into the North end zone.

Which doesn't really matter because the UD admin has drowned them out most of the time with the new POS sound system because they have a new toy and feel the need to play with it constantly.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 17th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Which doesn't really matter because the UD admin has drowned them out most of the time with the new POS sound system because they have a new toy and feel the need to play with it constantly.

I haven't been able to make it to a UD game since the new scoreboard and sound system went in, but when the band was moved from Section A (or was it B?) to the south end zone with the student seats it did a number on how well we could be heard anyway. Playing out towards the north end zone where there's nothing to reflect the sound back somehow makes it quieter on the home stands than when the band sat in the home stands playing towards the away stands.

The proposed stadium renovations (http://www.udreview.com/web-updates/harker-unveils-plans-for-renovated-stadium-new-east-campus-housing-1.1489699#5) would help the acoustics, plus leapfrog JMU to give UD the nicest stadium in the CAA (possibly the entire FCS) again. Let's hope the funding comes through.

McNeese72
July 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
McNeese has their own stands in the south endzone.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/tsu10gdefense2.jpg

Doc

clenz
July 17th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Away side, 50 yard line, but sounds like they will be moving into endzone bleachers this year:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2yxrfvk.jpg
Good...that's a ****ty place to put your band.

WIU does the same thing. Terrible that they take up the best seats in the place, yet 98% of them don't know **** about football. I can't even begin to describe the utter bull**** that came from the WIU band last season as "smack" towards us UNI fans sitting around them.

Poly's Brutality
July 18th, 2011, 01:45 AM
McNeese has their own stands in the south endzone.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/tsu10gdefense2.jpg

Doc

PS this band was great. Also stayed well after the game to play, enjoyably.
Would be nice to have them closer, arguably(?), but recollection is they are next to or closest to student section also at teams entrance/exit whoopin it up - what say ye Doc? (Just opinion and was only there once.)

superman7515
July 18th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I haven't been able to make it to a UD game since the new scoreboard and sound system went in, but when the band was moved from Section A (or was it B?) to the south end zone with the student seats it did a number on how well we could be heard anyway. Playing out towards the north end zone where there's nothing to reflect the sound back somehow makes it quieter on the home stands than when the band sat in the home stands playing towards the away stands.

The proposed stadium renovations (http://www.udreview.com/web-updates/harker-unveils-plans-for-renovated-stadium-new-east-campus-housing-1.1489699#5) would help the acoustics, plus leapfrog JMU to give UD the nicest stadium in the CAA (possibly the entire FCS) again. Let's hope the funding comes through.

My girlfriend was in the band until she graduated 2 years ago and after the new scoreboard & sound system went in, the admin actively discouraged Sarv from having the band play too much because they wanted to use the sound system more. The don't play nearly as much as they used to and often they play the sound system over top of the band and drowned them out, and that's just getting from the south end zone to Section L which is on the south side between the 30 & 40. By the time you get to the north end zone, they probably hardly ever hear a thing anymore.

Twentysix
July 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM
My girlfriend was in the band until she graduated 2 years ago and after the new scoreboard & sound system went in, the admin actively discouraged Sarv from having the band play too much because they wanted to use the sound system more. The don't play nearly as much as they used to and often they play the sound system over top of the band and drowned them out, and that's just getting from the south end zone to Section L which is on the south side between the 30 & 40. By the time you get to the north end zone, they probably hardly ever hear a thing anymore.

LMFAO now thats administrative support, why not cut the band? UD could get several DJ roomba's to perform for halftime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhsUPtsiLU&feature=related

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Furman has one of the better FCS marching performances I've seen. Given the size of the school, the talent in that group is outstanding. A large part of that is because Furman (at least they did) requires their performance majors to play in the marching band, so you have some world-class talent, but folks who are not all that into football. So, I agree, the half-time stuff is a crowd pleaser, but the interim stuff is just "blah."

TheRevSFA
July 18th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Our band sits on the east side of the stadium (Visitors side) at about the 30 yard line. The Purple Haze Student Section is at midfield on the same side. It can...sometimes..on occasion..every now and then..once in a blue moon...get loud

McNeese72
July 18th, 2011, 08:28 AM
PS this band was great. Also stayed well after the game to play, enjoyably.
Would be nice to have them closer, arguably(?), but recollection is they are next to or closest to student section also at teams entrance/exit whoopin it up - what say ye Doc? (Just opinion and was only there once.)

Arguably is right! Some of the most bitterist offseason debates on the McNeese messageboard in the past were on where the band should sit. Some would like the band to sit on the eastside above the student section so they can interact with the students and other fans. Others, like me, think they should sit in the stands that were constructed for them in the past. For two reasons. One, if they sit in the endzone stands both sides of the stadium can hear them better. If they sit in the Eastside stands, a lot of the Eastside fans, especially in the North part of the stands, cannot hear them very well. Second, it is a lot easier to sell the tickets in the Eastside stands when the band is in their bandstands, than it would be the other way around.

I still hate that we played so bad against you guys last season. I rate that game right up there with the 1999 Maine game as games that we have just played terribly.

Doc

eiu1999
July 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM
The EIU band sits on the home side of the stadium, south side, around the 15 yard line.

HailSzczur
July 18th, 2011, 08:44 AM

I always thought it was really cool how some time in the second half (third quarter I believe?) your band goes up and down the stairs through the stadium and keeps working their way around. While it can get a little annoying to have a trumpet right in your ear, and after awhile that little ditty can get on your nerves, its an awesome concept.

melloware13
July 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Last year, they put a microphone in the front parts of the band, to put over the PA system I guess. From the positioning of it, I'd guess it only picks up the brass sections though. We also seem to have been playing a bit more each year I've been in the band.

superman7515
July 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
She was in from 2004-2009 and it's quite a bit less than it used to be when they didn't have the upgraded system. They literally came to the band and told them to play less, cut out a lot of the times when they were allowed to play, etc. And that microphone they tried last year was awful, some of the older STH's around us were complaining because you'd hear the band play, then hear the notes over the PA system, and after a while it sounds like an orgy of terrible.

Grizzaholic
July 18th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I always thought it was really cool how some time in the second half (third quarter I believe?) your band goes up and down the stairs through the stadium and keeps working their way around. While it can get a little annoying to have a trumpet right in your ear, and after awhile that little ditty can get on your nerves, its an awesome concept.

That would drive me nuts.

appfan2008
July 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
As a former band member at ASU I am excited about their move to the endzone... I think they will be able to be heard much better down in that end... If i were still a student though I would hate that angle for the important part of the day :)

HailSzczur
July 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM
That would drive me nuts.
oh it does by the end of it. If they switched the song up it would be a lot better. However it does amuse me to see sousaphone running up and down the stairs.

URMite
July 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Our What???? xconfusedx xdontknowx xconfusedx

xlolx

melloware13
July 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM

It is fun, but exhausting especially when it's 90 out during the first weeks.

cmaxwellgsu
July 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM

That really sucks. I think the bands are a great part of college football, and hate any pre-recorded music or videos. I'm still mad with my school for dropping "Rock and Roll Part 1" from the band, and having a video entrance.

Poly's Brutality
July 19th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Arguably is right! Some of the most bitterist offseason debates on the McNeese messageboard in the past were on where the band should sit. Some would like the band to sit on the eastside above the student section so they can interact with the students and other fans. Others, like me, think they should sit in the stands that were constructed for them in the past. For two reasons. One, if they sit in the endzone stands both sides of the stadium can hear them better. If they sit in the Eastside stands, a lot of the Eastside fans, especially in the North part of the stands, cannot hear them very well. Second, it is a lot easier to sell the tickets in the Eastside stands when the band is in their bandstands, than it would be the other way around.

I still hate that we played so bad against you guys last season. I rate that game right up there with the 1999 Maine game as games that we have just played terribly.

Doc

Well, somebody said it first so... yes, the band placed way down/out there is a little curious, since it does seem too far away, out of the action, etc. (and especially for as good as they were). Maybe somebody remembers how nice it was to hear the band as they came out to the field, but today's market would seem to argue in favor of a closer entertainment experience, not just for students and fans, but players also. The endzone might be perfect as you say to tie it all together, let everybody hear it, would make it a cool focal point too. Why not let others sit over that way too so students if they wanted could pack it in near there and generate more excitement, feed off each other that way in the middle.

On the game, I admit it was curious, strange even; team seemed a little down for unknown reason, my guess is maybe they were thinking we were gonna be easy to whoop because after all we ourselves had had a bad performance the week before against Texas State....? That, combined with our knowing we'd had bad game, made us perform better versus you.

Russ B
July 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
The Cal Aggie Marching Band-uh! occupies Section 108 (http://tickets.ucdavis.edu/Public/_files/TIX/image/aggie_stadium_forWeb_asterisk.png), which is adjacent to the student section, behind the team.

Used to sit on the press-box side at about the 35, also behind the team. You can just barely make out the block "CA" that marked the band's seats (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Toomey+Field,+Davis,+CA&hl=en&ll=38.545312,-121.74838&spn=0.000831,0.002004&sll=37.230328,-95.712891&sspn=27.593859,65.654297&t=h&z=19) in the stands of our old stadium.

blazrdog#1
July 22nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
our band sits on the visitors side playing elevator music!They have ALWAYS sucked and will ALWAYS suck because of a President,A.D. and B.O.T. that promote annual mediocrity.The latest quote from Mr. Newton (our new A.D....son of C.M. Newton) smacked of regionalism,racism and limited possibilties for the SU athletic program..."I want our team to be a team for the people "over the mountain" aka WASP's!Keep up the sub par work Mr. Newton!

Eaglesrus
July 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
our band sits on the visitors side playing elevator music!They have ALWAYS sucked and will ALWAYS suck because of a President,A.D. and B.O.T. that promote annual mediocrity.The latest quote from Mr. Newton (our new A.D....son of C.M. Newton) smacked of regionalism,racism and limited possibilties for the SU athletic program..."I want our team to be a team for the people "over the mountain" aka WASP's!Keep up the sub par work Mr. Newton!

If it's that bad how about seeing if you can get them not to show up on 9/3? We could use those seats!

Accelerati Incredibilus
July 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
The Marching Mountaineers will be in their 4th location in 6 years. Perhaps they have finally found a home.

Nothing but silence from the Wofford guys on this one.

dgtw
July 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM

Just who do you expect to show up at your games? Private white bread Baptist schools aren't going to have people flocking from Ensley to attend a game. People who live over the mountain have more disposable income and are likely to have attended Samford than someone in the city of Birmingham.

whoanellie
July 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
you-all have a very fine Band BTW...
in between the G-40 yard lines and it gets loud with opponents right there...

BEAR
July 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
The UCA BMB (Bear Marching Band) sits on the visitor side about the 20 yard line. They put out a promotional video a couple of years ago and they tend to play it at game time to psych up the band and the fans. Pretty good for a college run video. I love the background song but I'm not sure what it is. If any of you know, let me know. Here it is. (Back in 2009 they had the Michael Jackson Thriller tribute theme...interesting. xcoolx)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiBUfr271A

SouthernBugler
July 23rd, 2011, 12:06 AM
PASSION
POWER
PRIDE
http://captainplanetfoundation.org/uploadedFiles/images/byourpowerscombined1.jpg

GO PLANET!!!!

blazrdog#1
July 23rd, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hence, we have another "Spin Doctor" DGTW(the son of SUDog)...mediocrity hugging,loves him some classcism,never think outside of the box,SBC "we ain't ever done it that way and we ain't fixin too" mentality.You too,dgtw, keep up the good work!

dgtw
July 23rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
I did not attend Samford University. My wife did not attend Samford University. Nobody in my family went to Samford. I have been on its campus five times in my life. I am not even a Baptist. I was merely pointing out the obvious about your situation.

Your new AD has gotten you a home basketball game against Kentucky. Not a bad deal.

AppMan
July 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM
The Marching Mountaineers will be in their 4th location in 6 years. Perhaps they have finally found a home.

Need to rename them "The Band on the Run."

WUTNDITWAA
July 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Nothing but silence from the Wofford guys on this one.

It's actually the fifth since the 2005 season. For the home opener, the band sat in the upper part of the old 6A section. The next game, they were back in their original spot.

JaxSinfonian
July 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM
The Marching Southerners at Jacksonville State sit in a corner of the end zone, angled around so they face the bulk of the stands on the "home" side of the stadium, as seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7pTeFvnOjw

The wisdom of that placement has been a matter of some discussion, here: http://www.gojaxstate.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4442

crabby terrier
July 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
BAND???!!??? what band??? didn't know we were supposed to have a band!!! D@#N!!!

GO TERRIERS!!!

TwoFeathers
August 1st, 2011, 09:40 AM
Where is the band located in your stadium: on the side in back of the home team, on the side in back of the visiting team, in one of the endzone stands?

W&M Pep Band sits with the students. You wouldn't notice them if they weren't carrying instruments. They're a 'scramble' band, as it where.

andy7171
August 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM
Towson's band sits mid field on the visitor side, next to the student section. I must say they are very good and besides the Dance team, the only enjoyable part of going to a game the last few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox-PrmvH5bk

SU DOG
August 1st, 2011, 10:29 AM
Just who do you expect to show up at your games? Private white bread Baptist schools aren't going to have people flocking from Ensley to attend a game. People who live over the mountain have more disposable income and are likely to have attended Samford than someone in the city of Birmingham.

Very intelligent and logical post dgtw. Some folks had rather vent than to see the obvious that is before them. The OTM area of B'ham is also where so many successful people choose to reside when moving from out of town. This area would also have the most potential for attracting folks who do not have allegiance to AU or UA. Thankfully, our new AD realizes this.

As for our band, it has begun to grow, as Dr. Westmoreland has indicated that as a priority. Maybe it will soon no longer be known as "The Mighty Marching Dozen."

jmufan999
August 22nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu4vlf-B5y4

I was talking about JMU's band in another thread and didn't want to hijack. I actually didn't really care if I hijacked, just didn't want to read a bunch of comments complaining about it.

Anyway, you should give this a look-see. If you have a short attention span, skip to 1:37.

JaxStateDSM93
August 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
The Marching Southerners at Jacksonville State sit in a corner of the end zone, angled around so they face the bulk of the stands on the "home" side of the stadium, as seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7pTeFvnOjw

The wisdom of that placement has been a matter of some discussion, here: http://www.gojaxstate.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4442

Best band in the FCS. And one of the best in the entire country. Hands down. I think that's the best place for them in the stadium, with the new setup.

bjtheflamesfan
August 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
I do think Liberty is starting to get a name for itself in the last few years (especially after such good shows at Coastal, JMU and Lafayette)

MSUBear42
August 22nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Missouri State's band is up to 385 members this year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fDctr4sudk&feature=related

AtlantaMountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
As a former band member at ASU I am excited about their move to the endzone... I think they will be able to be heard much better down in that end... If i were still a student though I would hate that angle for the important part of the day :)

Apparently you haven't heard the latest. The App Band is no longer moving to the North end zone but will remain on the East side in the same section as last year. Check the revised seating chart and Mountaineer Message Board for updates.

JaxStateDSM93
August 22nd, 2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CAj7vovqbI

Big Dawg
August 23rd, 2011, 05:26 AM
The Marching 100 sits right behind the home teams sideline...however Bragg has a weird set up...the home team is on the side of the field many would consider the visiting sideline, while the visiting team bench is on the press box side of the stadium with the season ticket holders...it's different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqjPRemHM0g&feature=related

Jaguar79
August 23rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Southern's band sits on the home side (River side) around the south 35 yard line. Students take up the rest of that zone to the south end zone. You will definitely have no problem hearing them.

The visiting band gets the corner on the North side of the visiting side, if you can really call it that.