PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Walk Ons

08um721
March 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Hey im looking for any information on colleges preferably in the northeast that have good walk on or recruited walk on programs (Divison 1A, 1AA, 2, or 3). I picked up football late and dont much of a playing resume, I have all my years of elgibility and am in my first year of college looking to transfer for a place to play ball. I have good athleticism and have competed nationally in other sports. I was planning on making a video to send to coaches of a combine style testing workout. Any input or options are welcomed to help me find the best school for next year.

Thank You for your time.

About Me: 5'10, 190 lbs, Defensive Back (FS,SS,CB,PR), 40: 4.45, Bench reps of 225: 12, Max Bench: 315, VJ: 34.5, Short Shuttle: 4.19

nlwwln
March 17th, 2006, 01:03 AM
check out some schools in the Northeast conference if your lookin to go 1aa cause they are a mid major conference and pretty much any guy can get a shot, assuming you are somewhat of a decent athlete also CW Post is a top D2 school in long island also southern connecticut is a solid D2 program.

UNH 40
March 17th, 2006, 06:52 AM
The University of New Hampshire is the best place for a walk-on to go in my opinion. Head Coach MacDonnell was a walk-on himself, he probably more than any other coach will give you your shot. I was told by a lot of A-10 schools that i couldn't play at the I-AA level, but Coach MacDonnell gave me a chance. I was a walk on at UNH in 2000 Coach Mac. said he would give me as much a chance as any player on full scholarship to play and earn a position. He rewarded my hard work with a full scholarship as he promissed me he would if I worked hard and proved I could play and be a big contributer. I eventually became a team Captain in 2004, was first team All-Atlantic 10 and All-American. This all happened because coach MacDonnell was willing to give me a fair shot. Now if you want to transfer to UNH you better be really serious about playing, and ready to work harder than you have at anything you have before in your life, because it will take nothing short of that. If you are willing to Commit youself and bust you butt every day you should try UNH.

ebirToG
March 17th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I have a similar story to UNH40. I was told I was too small and too slow to play by almost every one from D3 Widner to Tubby at Delaware. Coach Laycock at William and Mary gave me an opportunity to play. I was given a great chance to prove myself and I earned a scholarship my Sophomore year. I was a 3 year starter setting a couple of receiving records along the way.

I am sure there are many stories like this on this board from many of the 1AA schools. My advice is pick the 1AA schools you most want to attend academically and you will more than likely get a chance to prove yourself.

The only negative I had were my dealings with Delaware but my revenge came in a couple of 100+ yard games against Tubby.

kats89
March 17th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Come to the south. Much warmer here.:D

DUPFLFan
March 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM
The Pioneer League schools are all non-scholarship so everyone is technically a walk on. http://www.pioneer-football.org/

08um721
March 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks alot for all your help, im looking alot in the Atlantic 10 and it seems to be a great conference and I feel I could compete on that level.

JaxStateManager
March 17th, 2006, 12:12 PM
While not in the northeast, Jacksonville State has a good walk on program. About 15 players that have walked on there in the past 4 seasons have been put on scholarship within two seasons.

UNH 40
March 17th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks alot for all your help, im looking alot in the Atlantic 10 and it seems to be a great conference and I feel I could compete on that level.

You will really get a fair shot at UNH, they are one of the best teams in the country and they provide a great education. Hell another great walk-on success story at UNH is David Ball who walked on in 2002 and is now probably the best player in the country, and one of the most productive players in NCAA history, and nobody wanted him, even as a walk-on. xidiotx

fuEMO
March 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM
It might be worth your time to look at Furman too. Furman also has a very good walk-on program and has had some very good walk-ons at db.

SochorField
March 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
How are your grades?

DTSpider
March 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
How are your grades?

Definitely go to a school where you want to be academically and socially. If you find the right fit, pretty much most 1AA teams will work with walk-ons. We love them here at UR where you can get a lot of financial aid if you aren't recruited. With only about 10 walk-ons in the program you're treated like a scholarship player.

08um721
March 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I have a 3.3 gpa in college, I have an extensive background in athletics, but a limited football resume. I played baseball, ran track, wrestled and was a good amateur boxer in high school. Im just trying to play football because I love the sport and feel I can compete.

Thanks for your input

MR. CHICKEN
March 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Definitely go to a school where you want to be academically and socially. If you find the right fit, pretty much most 1AA teams will work with walk-ons. We love them here at UR where you can get a lot of financial aid if you aren't recruited. With only about 10 walk-ons in the program you're treated like a scholarship player.

TUITION...IS CLOSE TA $30K.....NO WONDER..ONLY 10 WALKERS!...AWK!

Tribe4SF
March 17th, 2006, 08:41 PM
W&M puts heavy emphasis on walk-ons. We have a scholarship fund set up to reward walk-ons. We gave four last year. We also have a walk-on Hall of Fame. Inducted last year was Lang Campbell, winner of the 2004 Walter Payton Award as the top offensive player in I-AA.

The only obstacle at W&M is that we have alot of walk-ons. Last year the staff had to cut 7 of them to get down to 105 on the roster. Tribe typically brings in 10-15 a year. The other issue is getting in as a transfer.

Tribe4SF
March 17th, 2006, 08:44 PM
TUITION...IS CLOSE TA $30K.....NO WONDER..ONLY 10 WALKERS!...AWK!

Check again, there, feather head. Try $44,000!!!

MR. CHICKEN
March 17th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Check again, there, feather head. Try $44,000!!!

DUH COST IS CLIMBIN'..FASTER DAN UH JERRY LEWIS TELETHON....TOTE BOARD!....:eek:.....AWK/[email protected]!

JaxStateManager
March 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Tuition is about $10,000 a year for out of state, housing is about $2,500, and room and board will run you about $1,500 at JSU.

MR. CHICKEN
March 17th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Tuition is about $10,000 a year for out of state, housing is about $2,500, and room and board will run you about $1,500 at JSU.

AN' FO' ALL DAT.........YA GET UH 6-5 SEASON!........:(......BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
March 17th, 2006, 09:15 PM

AN' ALL YA GET FO' DAT......IS UH 6-5 RECORD!........:bawling:......BAWK!

spdram
March 18th, 2006, 02:35 PM
08 I agree with DT, try where you fit in socially and academically. But I do know UR has been looking for dbacks. Don't know your financial position but in spite of the high price tag UR has a policy of meeting 100% of any demonstrated financial aid. My suggsetion would be to get your HS Coach to make the initial contacts for you.

carney2
March 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Everyone seems to be hyping their home team/alma mater here. Let's think this through:

At any of the schoalrship schools (A-10) or "equivalency" schools (Patriot League/Ivy League) you are going to be up against the people that the coaches invited to the dance, "paid" to show up, and have more than a passing interest in seeing them succeed. It would be a serious uphill climb for you. Whomever (early in this post) advised you to look at the mid majors was doing you a big favor.

eagle36
March 19th, 2006, 08:36 AM
YOu need to email coaches, find a school youlove athletcially and academicaly. Football coaches come and go