PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Stadiums in the Big Sky

one4all333
July 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
for our fans west of the Mississippi lets rank the favorite stadiums in the Big Sky...lets include Cal Poly, Southern Utah, UC Davis and North Dakota (pending name change xlolx)

My initial list goes in this order:

1 - Montana - size, attendance and layout get my vote for #1
2 - Montana St - Stadium expansion gives it my #2
3 - Cal Poly - Great location, nice update to home stands...need to finish renovation
4 - Sacramento State - Good size and layout, need to upgrade Home side
5 - UC Davis - Like the new stadium layout, just need to expand
6 - Eastern Washington - What they lack in stadium capacity they make up in imagination (Red Turf)
7 - Weber State - Was out their last year prior to renovations, like the local for an older stadium, with changes I am giving it a bump up.
8 - Portland State - Good Location and size, but still layed out like a soccer/baseball field
9 - North Dakota - Could swap with NAU or ISU after after renovations, but for now it looks nicer (haven't been yet)
10 - Idaho State - Haven't been but from pictures looks nicer than NAU for now
11 - Northern Arizona - When I went last year, seemed a bit old, but renovations were being discussed, so may change.
12 - Southern Utah - Home side is decent, but need to add field turf and visitors section upgraded
13 - Northern Colorado - Need to upgrade overall facilities

Sizes and links to stadiums on this Wiki (not sure how accurate they are)...enjoy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Conference

CrazyCat
July 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM
The new PSU stadium would be in my top 5.

citdog
July 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM
cold

loud

/close thread

AppAlum2003
July 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Finley stadium wins by far...

catbob
July 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268840_254370897912300_142834009065990_1204983_265 9891_n.jpg

Latest shot of the MSU stadium upgrade. ;)

TheRevSFA
July 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Finley stadium wins by far...

zing...

AppAlum2003
July 15th, 2011, 02:22 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268840_254370897912300_142834009065990_1204983_265 9891_n.jpg

Latest shot of the MSU stadium upgrade. ;)

Not a big fan of all the white, but the architecture looks good.

dbackjon
July 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
for our fans west of the Mississippi lets rank the favorite stadiums in the Big Sky...lets include Cal Poly, Southern Utah, UC Davis and North Dakota (pending name change xlolx)

My initial list goes in this order:

1 - Montana - size, attendance and layout get my vote for #1
2 - Montana St - Stadium expansion gives it my #2
3 - Cal Poly - Great location, nice update to home stands...need to finish renovation
4 - Sacramento State - Good size and layout, need to upgrade Home side
5 - UC Davis - Like the new stadium layout, just need to expand
6 - Eastern Washington - What they lack in stadium capacity they make up in imagination (Red Turf)
7 - Weber State - Was out their last year prior to renovations, like the local for an older stadium, with changes I am giving it a bump up.
8 - Portland State - Good Location and size, but still layed out like a soccer/baseball field
9 - North Dakota - Could swap with NAU or ISU after after renovations, but for now it looks nicer (haven't been yet)
10 - Idaho State - Haven't been but from pictures looks nicer than NAU for now
11 - Northern Arizona - When I went last year, seemed a bit old, but renovations were being discussed, so may change.
12 - Southern Utah - Home side is decent, but need to add field turf and visitors section upgraded
13 - Northern Colorado - Need to upgrade overall facilities

Sizes and links to stadiums on this Wiki (not sure how accurate they are)...enjoy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Conference

NAU over EWU, UND, Idaho State, after Renovations are done. Possibly over Weber as well.

TheBisonator
July 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Not a big fan of all the white, but the architecture looks good.

I think that's just the sun's reflection more than anything else..

AppAlum2003
July 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I think that's just the sun's reflection more than anything else..

I just mean all of the rooftops - everything looks sterile and white and like the old shed at the house I grew up in.

Apphole
July 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Everybody knows that the best stadium in all of division 1 football FCS, FBS, and BCS is UTC's own Finley stadium.

one4all333
July 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
NAU over EWU, UND, Idaho State, after Renovations are done. Possibly over Weber as well.

I agree...I really like the campus when my son and I visited last summer and felt that with a good renovation the Dome had some great possibilities. Though my son decided to play at Sac St, I look forward to making that road trip to Flagstaff.

Any pics of the renovation being done?

CrazyCat
July 15th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Maybe there should be a new thread started called "Best empty stadium in sunlight taken from an aerial view and based on rooftop color."

one4all333
July 15th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I look forward to visitng MSU and it's stadium, even with the white roofs...I may have to wear sunglases in the plane flying in, just so the reflection from the rooftops don't blind me...jk...stadium with upgrades look great.

one4all333
July 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Sac state has improved their facilities with the addition of Field turf and the Student Center last season. The last two imporvements I would like to see is a "sister" building next to the Broad fieldhouse, and an updated home side section (similar to Cal Polys)...

dbackjon
July 15th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I agree...I really like the campus when my son and I visited last summer and felt that with a good renovation the Dome had some great possibilities. Though my son decided to play at Sac St, I look forward to making that road trip to Flagstaff.

Any pics of the renovation being done?

I haven't been up there - will look

darell1976
July 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hopefully there will be more BSC fans attending UND games and can give a in-person opinion. I cannot wait to visit Montana, EWU (my son loves the red turf), and Portland State (I have a friend near Portland). So thats why I can't rank other teams stadiums, since pictures don't give good opinions like being there.

one4all333
July 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hopefully there will be more BSC fans attending UND games and can give a in-person opinion. I cannot wait to visit Montana, EWU (my son loves the red turf), and Portland State (I have a friend near Portland). So thats why I can't rank other teams stadiums, since pictures don't give good opinions like being there.

I have to agree...my ratings were based on having seen half of the BSC stadiums in person. I look forward to finally going to both the Montana schools and UND as well. xnodx

catbob
July 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I've sadly only been to ISU, UM and EWU. Well now that I think of it I did go to NAU when I was a kid in the mid 80s, but that doesn't really count. I've always wanted to catch one in Portland, and Weber would be cool. I'd love to see Poly too. :)

AppAlum2003
July 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Maybe there should be a new thread started called "Best empty stadium in sunlight taken from an aerial view and based on rooftop color."

Wow, way to be overly sensitive... Just stating my opinion. Nice stadium just would prefer some brick and roofline changes.

I Bleed Purple
July 15th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Sac state has improved their facilities with the addition of Field turf and the Student Center last season. The last two imporvements I would like to see is a "sister" building next to the Broad fieldhouse, and an updated home side section (similar to Cal Polys)...

I was wondering how the hell Sac State is so high on your list seeing that picture until I saw your son chose to play there.

kittiekop
July 15th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Wow, way to be overly sensitive... Just stating my opinion. Nice stadium just would prefer some brick and roofline changes.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IcPR8TXZsjg/TiCZVm2UIeI/AAAAAAAAAV0/Ut0C1B9TTWw/s640/1000000542.JPG

See, look. Bricks! (jk!)

one4all333
July 15th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I was wondering how the hell Sac State is so high on your list seeing that picture until I saw your son chose to play there.

Yeah you got me...a little biased...but still better than Weber St especially after the completion of the student rec center at the back of the end zone...reality is I would likely put it behind UC Davis, but I might get hung by some of the Sac State people if I do. When we visited Weber State they hadn't begun renovation and looked a little old, but I did like their location...I will revise once I get a chance to see all the stadiums full and during/after games...:D

CrazyCat
July 15th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Sensitive ? My ex-wife said the exact opposite. Send me a PM so I know were to send the checks. :)xpeacex

NoCoDanny
July 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
How is ours worst? I realize the capacity is small but it's modern and has the amenities you need.

I need to understand why it's worse than a airplane hangar which is what a couple others look like, or S. Utah or E. Wash which I'd say are virtually identical.

I know we are near the bottom but last? "Needs to be upgraded" what does that mean exactly just so I undertand.

If it's just capacity then just rank them by such and be done with it.

Green Cookie Monster
July 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM
The new PSU stadium would be in my top 5.

I would agree. Modern fan amenities, sitelines, partially covered, great location and built with private money for a third party tenant (soccer), but who cares? It will be nice, if not the nicest in the BSC. PSU scored big time having this facility as their 'home' field.

Each campus and stadium has its own charm and quirks, looking forward to fall in the stands.

SF State Gaters
July 28th, 2011, 03:46 AM
1 - Montana
2 - Montana St
3 - Cal Poly
4 - Portland State
5 - UC Davis
6 - Sacramento State
7 - Eastern Washington
8 - Weber State
9 - North Dakota
10 - Northern Arizona