PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Stadiums of the CAA

bostonspider
July 14th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Such variation in the CAA..

1) I think will have to be JMU, it is just too damn big and new not to garner the top spot, though if the Dukes drop off and they get 10K roaming around a 27K stadium, they will drop a lot in my opinion.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/YC/YCJNWOXCAXMTKXA.20110706210749.jpg

2) Though I have not yet been, it looks like Ballard Stadium would come in at #2. Always sold out, newly renovated, it just looks very nice.

http://www.monarchnation.com/1stgame.jpg

3) A bit of a homer pick, but Richmond comes in next for me. Obviously much smaller, but so well done and comfortable, and right in the heart of a stunning campus.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/mgmedia/image/0/354/105167/ur/

4) Delaware is next on my list, great crowds , excellent atmosphere, though the Stadium really looks to be showing its age to me.

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Atlantic10/Delaware/aerial.jpg

5) William & Mary also has a somewhat smaller, gorgeous stadium on a beautiful campus. The lack of seats on the visitor side between the 40's is a mystery though..

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Atlantic10/WilliamMary/interior.jpg

6) Towson really has a very nicely redone stadium, and I think if you were able to turn the on field results around, it could be a great atmosphere too.

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Atlantic10/Towson/interior.jpg

7) Maine's stadium is fairly modern and suits the program well. Up in the middle of nowhere, but a nice place to see a game

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Atlantic10/Maine/aerial.jpg

8) Villanova's stadium is somewhat old, somewhat empty, but the Wildcats always seem to be competitive and put a good show on the field

http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/villanova-stadium-duncan-pearson.jpg

9) Not long for the CAA, the stadium at UMass seems sort of an afterthought on the campus, stuck out in the middle of the fields. It has interesting 60's architecture, but no real beauty or warmth at all

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Atlantic10/Massachusetts/aerial.jpg

10) Another stadium of a school scheduled to depart the CAA, URI's Meade stadium is actually somewhat interesting with the stands built into the Ryan Center. But the old main grandstand feels decrepit and needs to be replaced

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Atlantic10/RhodeIsland/aerial.jpg

11) UNH deserves so much better. I have been to the Whittemore Center, which rocks, but Cowell seems so much more small time, especially the vistor's side.

http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/images/uploads/20090521_unhfield.jpg

HailSzczur
July 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I would have to sat\y:
JMU
ODU
UDel
W & M
Richmond
Maine
Towson
Nova
UMass
UNH

Wildcat80
July 14th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Totally agree we are last--afterURI leaves--and our team & fans deserve so much better. With the below we'd at least be respectable.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DFriedson/UniversityOfNewHampshireFootballStadiumExpansion#

VBR_Productions
July 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Where would City Stadium have ranked on this? I haven't seen the final three on this list (I plan on going to the ODU/URI game so I'll see that in person), but City Stadium had to have been among the worst venues for D1 football.

jmufan999
July 14th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I have only seen a few of the stadiums in person (JMU, WM, UR). Most of the others I've seen on TV/online streaming. Appreciate the #1 ranking regardless.

jmufan999
July 14th, 2011, 09:50 AM
though if the Dukes drop off and they get 10K roaming around a 27K stadium, they will drop a lot in my opinion.

Whoops, forgot to reply to this part.

We definitely won't have only 10K there. We averaged over 16K last year so I would be stunned if we averaged less than 20K this year. I think it will be much higher than that, just saying it absolutely will not dip under 20K as an average.

bostonspider
July 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Whoops, forgot to reply to this part.

We definitely won't have only 10K there. We averaged over 16K last year so I would be stunned if we averaged less than 20K this year. I think it will be much higher than that, just saying it absolutely will not dip under 20K as an average.

Oh I certainly did not mean this year, I meant say 5 years down the line, if the Dukes have a bunch of 5-6 or 4-7 seasons... Hopefully for JMU and the nice rivalry the Spiders and Dukes have going, both teams will bounce back this year..

bostonspider
July 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Where would City Stadium have ranked on this? I haven't seen the final three on this list (I plan on going to the ODU/URI game so I'll see that in person), but City Stadium had to have been among the worst venues for D1 football.

While UR / City Stadium was pretty old and somewhat run down, it was not even close to being one of the worst venues for D1 Football, sadly...

Put a nice sized crowd in it, and it was a pretty good place to see a game. Here is a shot of the final regualr season game versus William & Mary, combined with the first game at Robins Stadium versus Elon

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5018146262_02316853cc_b.jpg

JmuSkinsfan
July 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I think JMU will average around 20k ... I'd be happy with a higher average than that but I'm setting expectations low. I also don't think JMU will ever average 10k ... JMU still drew 14-15k butts in the seat in the final games the last couple years when the team was 3-5 and 2-5 (won the last 3 in 2010 and last 4 in 2009) ... the crowds were still fairly large all things considered ... especially as the weather got colder the crowds still showed.

Also, I appreciate the #1 ranking. I don't think there is really much of an argument, facilities-wise, that JMU is now #1 ... and with long-term expansion plans I can't really see it falling out of that spot in the future.

I have experienced all stadiums except for Maine, UNH, ODU, URI and UMass ... but the concensus is that those are in the lower-tier anyway, and I can still access pictures to have a good assessment.

Stadium/Facilities Only:

1) JMU
2) ODU
3) Richmond
4) William and Mary
5) Towson
6) Delaware
7) Maine
8) Umass
9) Rhode Island
10) Villanova
11) UNH

Justification ... I think Towson has a really beautiful stadium ... their gameday atmosphere and the product on the field detract from it but, it really is quite nice! Delaware, IMHO is old and it shows, but it still has the seating capacity to be put abov the lower tiered stadiums. The rest have been covered by others.

Game Day Atmosphere / OVERALL Ranking:

1) JMU

JMU stadium/crowd is top ... may be seen as a homer pick but it's always been one of the toughest places to play with the students right on top of the opposing players ... and with the new facilities, the home side and endzone seating are literally on top of the field.

2) ODU (from what I've heard)

ODU has new facilities and has sold out every game and the crowd is, for the time-being, very engaged (hopefully that holds up in a possible "wake up" down year against CAA teams, I'm sure it will though).

3) Delaware

It's hard to argue with Delaware being a top atmosphere, based on tradition and on-field performance, despite the older facilities.

4) William and Mary

I was always impressed with WM's gameday atmosphere. It's a smaller stadium, and may not always be packed, but the crowd can be electric. I also love that the stadium matches the colonial setting.

5) Richmond

I was never impressed with City Stadium (JMU brought more fans in 2008 than UR) ... and while I like the feel and atmosphere of the new stadium, it's really hard for me to put them above WM. I was at the game last year ... and the stadium was nice and the crowd was fun but it really killed me that their band was small, their students weren't engaged, etc. Great stadium though that fits the campus.

6) Umass

Never been. But the stadium is not terrible and their fan base has always been solid. Hard to put them higher based on the facilities and them leaving for the MAC, but this is a nice spot for them.

7) Maine

Never been, though I like their home side stands. I also think the weather adds a "uniqueness" to the stadium ... always cold!

8) UNH

Never been. The games I have seen on TV have not impressed, though. JMU played there in 2006 and it was their homecoming ... it was the season that David Ball was setting records ... and their crowd was over-capacity and advertised around 12k but I could barely hear a sound from the crowd on the telecast. Whenever they showed the sideline stands it appeared that half the stadium was walking around conversing.

9) Rhode Island

Never been. Though the games I have heard on the radio did sound relatively loud, which surprised me.

10) Villanova

Small crowds, crap stadium. Product on the field can't really make-up for that.

11) Towson

As much as I love the stadium ... and their band ... it's really tough to get excited for a game at Towson when the stadium is 1/3 full and the only people making noise are the JMU fans at the game! And the team ... yeah haha

jmufan999
July 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM
While UR / City Stadium was pretty old and somewhat run down, it was not even close to being one of the worst venues for D1 Football, sadly...

I'm probably in the minority, but I preferred watching a game at City Stadium than at W&M.

bluehenbillk
July 14th, 2011, 12:22 PM
There is a large disparity in stadiums in the CAA - the have's & have-not's:

1- JMU - They move to #1 this year with the expansion & commitment to their program - well done I'm jealous & look forward to going to a game there.
2- Delaware - Show me a stadium in the CAA with seats as close to the field with better sightlines - I defy you.
3- Towson - Not many people go there so I can see why people don't know about it but it's nice.
4- UMass - Again, major points for the way the stadium is setup - you just feel close to the field.
5- UR - It's nice, it's new, but it's small & there is a track around the field.
6- ODU - You guys that have posted before me said UD's stadium is old? Have you been to ODU? A fresh coat of paint doesn't make it any different - I was struck by walking around it how dilapidated it was.
7- Maine - It's quaint, it's cold and is pretty much one big side
8- W&M - Not a great place to watch a game (sorry Tribe fans) - worst sightlines in the CAA - you have to sit more than halfway up if you want to see - otherwise I'd stay home & watch on TV.
9- 'Nova - Everytime I go there I get the same feeling I did when I went to Orioles games the final year of Memorial Stadium - they didn't care. Seating for 13,000 people - bathrooms & concessions for 3,000. Bad sightlines too if you sit low.
10- UNH- Reminds me of 2 mediocre HS fields I played at on the home side & the other side?? Cmon.
11- URI - It's got better, but they were starting from underwater (literally).

VBR_Productions
July 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
6- ODU - You guys that have posted before me said UD's stadium is old? Have you been to ODU? A fresh coat of paint doesn't make it any different - I was struck by walking around it how dilapidated it was.

Foreman Field was built in the 1930's. You can argue that the exterior facade of the clam shells may not look like much. However, the seating, the field and the structure at the south end zone cannot be dismissed as "a fresh coat of paint."

http://www.sbballard.com/files/slideshow/Foreman%20Field%20(12).jpg

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/virginia/norfolk_foreman1.jpg

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/old-dominion-monarchs-s-b-ballard-stadium/Ballard_Stadium9.jpg

bluehenbillk
July 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Foreman Field was built in the 1930's. You can argue that the exterior facade of the clam shells may not look like much. However, the seating, the field and the structure at the south end zone cannot be dismissed as "a fresh coat of paint."

http://www.sbballard.com/files/slideshow/Foreman%20Field%20(12).jpg

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/virginia/norfolk_foreman1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Foreman_Field_Sep_09_against_VUU.jpg/

Correct...and that is nice, but that's one end zone. I was referring to the other end zone & the two sides where the majority of the fans sit. I'd still keep it at #6.

VBR_Productions
July 14th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Correct...and that is nice, but that's one end zone. I was referring to the other end zone & the two sides where the majority of the fans sit. I'd still keep it at #6.

Fair enough with your ranking. I have seats behind the visitors' bench and no one's complained about any of the seats. Physically there's not much they can do right now with the other end zone, unless they tear down an academic building and the admissions building, and I don't see that happening soon. The word "dilapidated" simply doesn't come to mind.

henfan
July 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Been to them all multiple times, except ODU.

1) JMU
2) UD
3) ODU
4) UMass
5) Towson
6) UR
7) URI
8) W&M
9) UMaine
10) VU
11) UNH

1) GSU
2) JMU
3) UD
4) ODU
5) Towson
6) UR
7) W&M
8) UMaine
9) VU
10) UNH

JmuSkinsfan
July 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Been to them all multiple times, except ODU.

1) JMU
2) UD
3) ODU
4) UMass
5) Towson
6) UR
7) URI
8) W&M
9) UMaine
10) VU
11) UNH

1) GSU
2) JMU
3) UD
4) ODU
5) Towson
6) UR
7) W&M
8) UMaine
9) VU
10) UNH

I really don't think we should include GSU. I'm sorry, but they're renting the Georgia Dome ... they should not get credit for that as their stadium.

NHwildEcat
July 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM
All this stadium talk makes me angry and bitter...ugh!

henfan
July 14th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I really don't think we should include GSU. I'm sorry, but they're renting the Georgia Dome ... they should not get credit for that as their stadium.

Who cares if they're renting or not? GSU will have the best digs by far when they enter the league.

Tuscon
July 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Public universities have state owned stadiums. The state owns the Georgia Dome and we use it as a public university. It's not that crazy. Plus, it is really nice. Glad it worked out that we get to use it, and I know teams that visit are excited they get to play there.

JmuSkinsfan
July 14th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Who cares if they're renting or not? GSU will have the best digs by far when they enter the league.

I don't know, I just find some cheapness to it all. They pay the Falcons or whoever a certain amount to play there. It isn't on campus ... it's way too big for their demand ... and it's not a place they can call "their own" ... they also didn't fund its construction. So maybe set them apart with an asterisk, but I can't support a list that includes them ... because it really isn't theirs.

Tuscon
July 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM
It's seriously around 4 blocks from campus. Completely walkable. We don't pay the Falcons, they also don't OWN it. The State of Georgia owns it, just as many states own public institutions stadiums. It happens to be very convenient that we have an NFL caliber stadium within walking distance of campus. Why build a new one? Tell me I can't call it my own again. Me and all of my fellow GSU fans feel quite at home in the dome. It is a little on the large side, but we'll just call that room to grow and be done with it. Since when is "too big" a problem anway?

Tribe4SF
July 14th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Sideline seats have cushions built in...sightlines are good...place looks good from just about every view...atmosphere even better than JMU or Delaware. I'll have to experience JMU's new look before I can rank it ahead of ODU and Delaware. Really hope UNH gets an upgrade soon. Cowell is pretty funky, and the visitors side is awful. I like Towson's stadium...especially being able to tailgate right outside the visitors gate.

WMTribe90
July 14th, 2011, 02:29 PM
There is a large disparity in stadiums in the CAA - the have's & have-not's:

1- JMU - They move to #1 this year with the expansion & commitment to their program - well done I'm jealous & look forward to going to a game there.
2- Delaware - Show me a stadium in the CAA with seats as close to the field with better sightlines - I defy you.
3- Towson - Not many people go there so I can see why people don't know about it but it's nice.
4- UMass - Again, major points for the way the stadium is setup - you just feel close to the field.
5- UR - It's nice, it's new, but it's small & there is a track around the field.
7- Maine - It's quaint, it's cold and is pretty much one big side
8- W&M - Not a great place to watch a game (sorry Tribe fans) - worst sightlines in the CAA - you have to sit more than halfway up if you want to see - otherwise I'd stay home & watch on TV.
9- 'Nova - Everytime I go there I get the same feeling I did when I went to Orioles games the final year of Memorial Stadium - they didn't care. Seating for 13,000 people - bathrooms & concessions for 3,000. Bad sightlines too if you sit low.
10- UNH- Reminds me of 2 mediocre HS fields I played at on the home side & the other side?? Cmon.
11- URI - It's got better, but they were starting from underwater (literally).

The sight lines at Zable sem to be the bigest beef from opposing fans, mostly UD fans. Understandable since UD's stadium does have great sightlines and seating that is so steep it wouldn't be legal to build it today. That said, the sightline complaints are overblown. Don't buy a sideline ticket in the first three or four rows and you'll see the game fine. Endzone stands come right up to field and are rasied a good six feet above the playing surface.

I've seen UD, ODU, Maine, WM, UR, VU, JMU (pre-renovation), URI and UNH in person and UMass and Towson on TV. For the structure only, I'd go with:

1) JMU - not my style aesthetically, I prefer brick and mortar to steel and plastic, but its nice, new and big
2) UD/ODU - roughly equal capacity, both older stadiums with some upgrades. If I had to choose I'd go with ODU based on the endzone fieldhose/seating
3) Towson - they did a nice job
4) UR/WM - UR newer, WM bigger, both on campus stadiums that match the rest of campus
5) UMass - Good size, but no real character IMO
6) Maine/VU - Maine would be the pick here if the visitors side didn't look and feel like a HS bleacher, they did a good job with new home side a few yrs back
7) URI - not good, but a lot better than it used to be
8) UNH - I don't know how their coach does it

WMTribe90
July 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Ranking Stadium Gameday Atmosphere

1) ODU - Very impressed
2) JMU - Band adds to the experience, probably highest percentage of jerk fans though
3) UD
4) WM - Improving in recent years with solid student section and better band
5) UR - Rarely high energy
6) VU -
7) Maine
8) UNH
9) Towson/URI

Never experienced UMass first hand.

aust42
July 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM
It's seriously around 4 blocks from campus. Completely walkable. We don't pay the Falcons, they also don't OWN it. The State of Georgia owns it, just as many states own public institutions stadiums. It happens to be very convenient that we have an NFL caliber stadium within walking distance of campus. Why build a new one? Tell me I can't call it my own again. Me and all of my fellow GSU fans feel quite at home in the dome. It is a little on the large side, but we'll just call that room to grow and be done with it. Since when is "too big" a problem anway?

More importantly, will I be able to purchase cold beer at the Georgia Dome when I come down for a Delaware game?

wmmii
July 14th, 2011, 05:55 PM
The sight lines at Zable sem to be the bigest beef from opposing fans, mostly UD fans. Understandable since UD's stadium does have great sightlines and seating that is so steep it wouldn't be legal to build it today. That said, the sightline complaints are overblown. Don't buy a sideline ticket in the first three or four rows and you'll see the game fine. Endzone stands come right up to field and are rasied a good six feet above the playing surface.

I've seen UD, ODU, Maine, WM, UR, VU, JMU (pre-renovation), URI and UNH in person and UMass and Towson on TV. For the structure only, I'd go with:

1) JMU - not my style aesthetically, I prefer brick and mortar to steel and plastic, but its nice, new and big
2) UD/ODU - roughly equal capacity, both older stadiums with some upgrades. If I had to choose I'd go with ODU based on the endzone fieldhose/seating
4) UR/WM - UR newer, WM bigger, both on campus stadiums that match the rest of campus
6) Maine/VU - Maine would be the pick here if the visitors side didn't look and feel like a HS bleacher, they did a good job with new home side a few yrs back

Think you got it right here!
W&M could use an upgrade in our seating. We have room to expand the home side back towards our practice field but don't see the $$. The sightline for W&M is no worse than the visitor seats at JMU, we just don't have the bucks for expansion.

Tribal
July 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Did someone actually post that we don't fill Zable but the crowd gets fired up (paraphrasing)? W&M sells out most games and 40% of the crowd is quiet.

Tuscon
July 14th, 2011, 06:22 PM
More importantly, will I be able to purchase cold beer at the Georgia Dome when I come down for a Delaware game?

Oh yeah. How could I forget that we sell booze in the stadium(albeit expensive booze).

Skjellyfetti
July 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Can't really participate... I've only been to JMU and William and Mary.

I will say... I sat in the first row in the endzone and did not find the sight lines to be worse than the same place at any other stadium. Really nice stadium... and I love the neo-colonial pressbox, haha.

bkrownd
July 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM

It's got character. Sort of an abandoned 1960's Eastern Bloc steel factory kind of character. ;) However, the walk from downtown Amherst to McGuirk on an early October morning is magical. I used to walk from East Village to McGuirk after watching College Gameday in the morning, kicking the piles of red and golden autumn leaves and thinking I must be in heaven.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 14th, 2011, 09:26 PM
The sight lines at Zable sem to be the bigest beef from opposing fans, mostly UD fans. Understandable since UD's stadium does have great sightlines and seating that is so steep it wouldn't be legal to build it today.

That's one of the reasons I hope that when UD is ready to upgrade the stadium that they choose to just add on to the current one, instead of rebuilding. The concrete construction and steep east and west stands help create a ton of sound bouncing back and forth to really enhance the atmosphere, as well as offering great sightlines. The downside is that with nothing to reflect the sound from the aluminum endzone stands the sound of the student section and band tends to disappear. The UD band used to sound a lot louder in the stadium when they sat in section A on the home stands, and even now visiting team bands sound louder in the stand because that sound is aimed directly at the home stands and reflected off of them back at the visiting stands instead of going at a 90 degree angle to the big grandstands into the big nothing behind the north endzone. Building up the endzone stands to match the height of the east and west stands, and making it all out of solid concrete, would do a lot to increase capacity as well as help the general stadium acoustics.

I've been to Delaware Stadium (obviously) but also McGuirk, Zable, Richmond's old City Stadium, and the late Hofstra Stadium (well, I guess it's still around, just not used for football) as far as CAA fields go. I'd rank Delaware Stadium the highest on that list by a large margin for gameday atmosphere and 'big football' stadium feel. McGuirk comes in second, with a large capacity and pretty good acoustics to keep the sound levels up. Zable isn't bad for a small stadium, and the design fits well with the W&M campus. I actually liked City Stadium, though the angle of the stands could be more upright, and I do seem to remember the restroom facilities lacking (nothing beats a running wall for efficiency).

henfan
July 15th, 2011, 07:49 AM
However, the walk from downtown Amherst to McGuirk on an early October morning is magical. I used to walk from East Village to McGuirk after watching College Gameday in the morning, kicking the piles of red and golden autumn leaves and thinking I must be in heaven.

The Amherst/Hadley/Northampton area was always my favorite road trip, especially in the mid-fall. Wow, my family is really going to miss that trip.xsmhx

Longhorn
July 15th, 2011, 07:55 PM
There are some nice FCS stadiums in the CAA, several with history and personality. I couldn't rank any football stadium with a track running around it ahead of those whose seats sit closer to the field. Using that criteria, JMU, ODU, UD, UMass, and even URI are currently the better football venues.

Tribal
July 15th, 2011, 09:49 PM
There are some nice FCS stadiums in the CAA, several with history and personality. I couldn't rank any football stadium with a track running around it ahead of those whose seats sit closer to the field. Using that criteria, JMU, ODU, UD, UMass, and even URI are currently the better football venues.

Zable endzone seats are literally 5 feet from the goal posts. I get that's not the 50 yrd line but you can't get much closer than that.

lucchesicourt
July 16th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Longhorn,
I agree the track running around the field sure detracts from the overall feel of the closeness of the fans and teams. The closer the fans (within reason) are to the field the bigger the homefield advantage IMO. The players can feel the intensity from the crowd, and the fans can hear it on the field. Adds for great excitement.

Longhorn
July 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Zable endzone seats are literally 5 feet from the goal posts. I get that's not the 50 yrd line but you can't get much closer than that.

Oh please. Then again, when the best seats (potentially) at Zable don't even exist because of a cattle chute at the 50 yard line, I suppose endzone seats may be the best you've got. ;)

My original point stands...if a stadium has a track separating the fans from the field it's far from optimum as a football venue.

DFW HOYA
July 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
My original point stands...if a stadium has a track separating the fans from the field it's far from optimum as a football venue.

Be careful about that--Memorial Stadium used to have a track, too.

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/com314/graphics/stadium.gif

Longhorn
July 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Be careful about that--Memorial Stadium used to have a track, too.

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/com314/graphics/stadium.gif

Yes it did, some 15 years ago. And if it still had a track around it, my criticism would apply to it too.

And it looks like this now.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/colewelter/MemorialStadium.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/colewelter/football.gif

Longhorn
July 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Might as well post this here too...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/colewelter/6sh0zm.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/colewelter/2q1w712.jpg

GaSouthern
July 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Can they expand JMU's stadium on the other side as well? Looks like that building is very much in the way!

HailSzczur
July 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Can they expand JMU's stadium on the other side as well? Looks like that building is very much in the way!

It does look really lopsided now that you mention it.

HailSzczur
July 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM

It does look really lopsided now that you mention it.

whitey
July 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM

Yes. The pictures are deceiving but there is plenty of space between the old stands and Godwin Hall (the building behind them). Additionally, the remnants of the old track are still there (darker gray) so if/when they get around to horseshoeing the stadium in, the new stands will be built right next to the field (covered in the lighter gray tarp).

JmuSkinsfan
July 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
That question was raised when the sketches were released 4 years ago, and initially rumors were that Godwin would be demolished, maybe even before Phase II took form. But either way, you'll notice that the new stands are literally on top of the field compared to where the old stands sit (and sat on that side) ... so there are about 30-40 feet of room to move new stands up and then you have another 40-50 feet behind the stands to expand as well. They can def. fit it without any demolitions.

Also, the upper deck seats on the new side are very steep. There really isn't much more additional space needed for the upper deck beyond what the lower deck needs.

appfan2008
July 20th, 2011, 07:27 AM
JMU's stadium looks absolutely awesome... there are a few small time stadiums in the caa but overall pretty quality stuff...

GannonFan
July 20th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Obviously I'm biased but I still have UD as the best stadium experience out there in the CAA. No stadium has the proximity to the field that UD has, every seat in the house is quality, the place is normally packed (only school in FCS with 20k avg for the past 12 years or so), and it's pretty loud. JMU certainly has a pretty building going up, but time will tell if that translates into a great environment - no one's even sat in the place yet and frankly, when I'm watching a football game how pretty the building is is pretty low on my list of priorities. With that said, I haven't been to ODU so I can't comment on that with any credibility and Richmond - come on, there's no way that a 9k seat stadium is going to rank up there, pretty or not. I love W&M's stadium except for the sight lines (and yes, it is a problem even past the first 3 rows from the bottom - you almost need to be at the top to make it palatable). Other than that, the place is fantastic. I never liked UMass's stadium - always felt like I was a mile away from the field because of how it curved outwards in the middle of the stadium. And let's be honest - nova is right near the bottom if not the bottom - just a dreadful place to watch football. It's a longer drive for me this year but I'm estatic that I don't need to go there for another game this year. Surprisingly, I'd throw Towson up pretty high on the list - actually a pretty decent stadium.

WMTribe90
July 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Obviously I'm biased but I still have UD as the best stadium experience out there in the CAA. No stadium has the proximity to the field that UD has, every seat in the house is quality, the place is normally packed (only school in FCS with 20k avg for the past 12 years or so), and it's pretty loud. JMU certainly has a pretty building going up, but time will tell if that translates into a great environment - no one's even sat in the place yet and frankly, when I'm watching a football game how pretty the building is is pretty low on my list of priorities. With that said, I haven't been to ODU so I can't comment on that with any credibility and Richmond - come on, there's no way that a 9k seat stadium is going to rank up there, pretty or not. I love W&M's stadium except for the sight lines (and yes, it is a problem even past the first 3 rows from the bottom - you almost need to be at the top to make it palatable). Other than that, the place is fantastic. I never liked UMass's stadium - always felt like I was a mile away from the field because of how it curved outwards in the middle of the stadium. And let's be honest - nova is right near the bottom if not the bottom - just a dreadful place to watch football. It's a longer drive for me this year but I'm estatic that I don't need to go there for another game this year. Surprisingly, I'd throw Towson up pretty high on the list - actually a pretty decent stadium.

GF, maybe you need to bring a booster seat for when you come to Zable (or try the endzones). Amazing that WM sells any tickets at all on the sidelines since you can hardly see the game except for the top row.

GannonFan
July 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
GF, maybe you need to bring a booster seat for when you come to Zable (or try the endzones). Amazing that WM sells any tickets at all on the sidelines since you can hardly see the game except for the top row.

So now I have to sit in the endzone to see the game properly? Super. Hey, it's a fantastic stadium, but it has high school sight lines. Sure you can see action, but a lot of it gets blocked by the actual players on the field. Lots of places with poor sight lines sell tickets - that doesn't mean the poor sight lines don't exist. Trying to pretend it's not an issue is just turning a blind eye to it - but I suppose that is ironically appropriate.

WMTribe90
July 20th, 2011, 03:14 PM
So now I have to sit in the endzone to see the game properly? Super. Hey, it's a fantastic stadium, but it has high school sight lines. Sure you can see action, but a lot of it gets blocked by the actual players on the field. Lots of places with poor sight lines sell tickets - that doesn't mean the poor sight lines don't exist. Trying to pretend it's not an issue is just turning a blind eye to it - but I suppose that is ironically appropriate.

As a former DL, I like the endzone seats better because I get to see holes open and close and the lateral pursuit. Also, nothing better than watching goal line situations from the back of the endzone. The seats are closer to the field and the endzone fans are more involved in the game. To each their own.

GannonFan
July 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
As a former DL, I like the endzone seats better because I get to see holes open and close and the lateral pursuit. Also, nothing better than watching goal line situations from the back of the endzone. The seats are closer to the field and the endzone fans are more involved in the game. To each their own.

I agree with the goal line situations, end zone seats are great for that, but for the other 90% of the game, I'll take seats on the sidelines with good sight lines. I'm only 9 rows up at UD but I can see holes open and close just fine from that vantage point (not sure why people ever sit in the box seats at UD - IMO, the sight lines there are terrible, but thankfully those are few and far between and are normally taken up by the VIP's of the world).

Monarch History
July 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM
It's hard to be objective when I've only been to two stadiums, W&M and Georgia State's (Georgia Dome). The Georgia Dome is impressive but I'm not sure with only 20,000+ fans how I would rank it for game day experience. I'm looking forward to going to Williamsburg on a crisp fall day and watching a game between the Tribe and Monarchs as I love the intimacy of Zable.

Since this is our first year in the CAA this will be my first chance to see Delaware, 'Nova, and Rhode Island's facilities. I've also heard so much about the game day experiences at JMU(next year) and Delaware and I look forward to comparing them to ODU's which can be electric.

umassfan
July 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM
Any stadium with a track between the stands and field is a bad stadium for D1 football. With that said I would put all of those stadiums equal at the bottom of my list. I like JMU and ODU at the top with Delaware 3rd. I would fit UMass 4th.

henfan
July 22nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Any stadium with a track between the stands and field is a bad stadium for D1 football.

At Delaware, we call them 'track stadiums'. Why would any school that places any major emphasis whatsoever on FB, not have a separate facility for its track team?xsmhx

LetsGoNova
July 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Because not all of us are "lucky" enough to be located out in the country where we can just throw a track stadium down on the neighboring corn field. And, at least at VU, track is not an also-ran spot, so moving them well off-campus doesn't make sense.

phillies98
July 23rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
since i have only been to ODU and richmond old city stadium i will go with ODU. but i would like to visit some more. ODU game experience is great.

Tribal
July 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
At Delaware, we call them 'track stadiums'. Why would any school that places any major emphasis whatsoever on FB, not have a separate facility for its track team?xsmhx

Because it works well for us and, unlike UD, we're not the only relevant school in our state. Take a very small public school and battle for funds with UVA, VT, GMU, ODU, VCU, and JMU and see how you do.

Apphole
July 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Because it works well for us and, unlike UD, we're not the only relevant school in our state. Take a very small public school and battle for funds with UVA, VT, GMU, ODU, VCU, and JMU and see how you do.

I can empathize in light if the fact the NC is home to UNC, NC State, ECU, UNCW, UNCC and App. The fund distribution is anything but fair too. Tracks can be moved. It's just expensive. Also, our track team brings us 2 championships a year. We are currently exploring areas to move the T&F complex.

dgtw
July 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Even if you built a track facility elsewhere, its still going to be at the football stadium. Are you going to toally rebuild the seating area to move the fans closer?

Apphole
July 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Even if you built a track facility elsewhere, its still going to be at the football stadium. Are you going to toally rebuild the seating area to move the fans closer?

That remains to be seen. Of course we would love to lower the field and add more stands, but that's pure speculation at this point. It would be very costly especially since there might be rock under there. It would allow us to at least make the endzone seating close when the new field house/student athlete dorm/ training facility/ horseshoe stadium seating is built. Lots of to-do's

Husky Alum
July 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Honorable mention, last place, all time. Northeastern. :)

Dignan
July 25th, 2011, 04:45 AM

"Yes" - JMU

GannonFan
July 25th, 2011, 05:31 AM

JMU says they're doing their $60M project with no state money. That shouldn't be the excuse.

JMUDuke2002
July 25th, 2011, 08:25 AM
JMU says they're doing their $60M project with no state money. That shouldn't be the excuse.

It's a bond issued by the state to be repaid through student fees and football revenue. As a state university, WM can do the exact same thing if they chose too.

You are right to point out that it is an excuse on WM's part. They are the oldest university in the state with a lot of political pull. I will give them the benefit of the doubt in that they have to contend with certain restrictions because of their location.

panama
July 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Just from pictures I have seen in the past I would say

1) JMU
2) ODU
3) Delaware
4) William & Mary

TribeAdvocate
July 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM
It's a bond issued by the state to be repaid through student fees and football revenue. As a state university, WM can do the exact same thing if they chose too.

You are right to point out that it is an excuse on WM's part. They are the oldest university in the state with a lot of political pull. I will give them the benefit of the doubt in that they have to contend with certain restrictions because of their location.

This is very true. I'm on a building committee for a separate part of campus, but many of the restrictions are killer when it comes to trying to expand. Height restrictions, material restrictions (must be colonial brick, etc.), and others are all pretty crazy. While it means we have a gorgeous campus, it means updates are few and far between, so now when we do want to upgrade it will require a major overhaul for ADA standards, etc., just to bring it up to current day, not to mention the expense of staying within the other building restrictions.

Sader87
July 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Can UMass now use Gillette Stadium in this poll???

UNHknowledge
July 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Totally agree we are last--afterURI leaves--and our team & fans deserve so much better. With the below we'd at least be respectable.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DFriedson/UniversityOfNewHampshireFootballStadiumExpansion#

I have seen those images for over 10 years!!!! It's just really sad that Cowell is so awful. But I do love our home field advantage. I love knowing that the away team is having their pregame speech in an equipment shed, and their parents are watching them from high school stands, and only our QB, backs and receivers are used to the wind tunnell on the field. Yeah, I do hope the state gets its mind right and puts some money up for the football team with the longest current playoff streak in the country to upgrade its facility, but I will ALWAYS LOVE old Cowell.

Delaware was the best atmosphere to play at but JMU was not far behind even before the expansion.

henfan
July 26th, 2011, 12:01 PM
How many fans have views obstructed by sideline activity in the lower rows at Foreman Field? Looks a little bit like VU with those low rows almost at field level. That's the great thing about stadiums like Delaware, Bridgeforth, McGuirk and, heck, even Meade. The grandstands are elevated so that the first rows are well above the heads of those on the field.

DFW HOYA
July 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM
How many fans have views obstructed by sideline activity in the lower rows at Foreman Field?

They look low, but you can still see the game action. We had 10 yard line seats in row 2 for the ODU-Georgetown game and didn't miss anything. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to see after the first quarter.

bostonspider
July 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
The grandstands at Robins are elevated as well, much better view than the low seats at UR / City Stadium

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5305/5866092887_c8af87abc1_b.jpg

89Hen
July 26th, 2011, 02:10 PM
For the structure only, I'd go with:

+1

Steve81
July 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Can UMass now use Gillette Stadium in this poll???
No way, McQuirk is our home field until 2012. The Colonial Clash @ Gillette was a lot of fun even though we were smoked by the WildCats. This year it’s our turn as home team and hope we can return the favor.

Last years game at UMass:
http://ncaabbs.com/uploads/avatars/avatar_38900.jpg?dateline=1303420516

Looking forward to September 1st under the lights at Fitton Field.
Fitton Field (http://www.fillfittonfield.com/Home_Page.html)

Our Holy Cross Game Day page.
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/2011_gameday_central_holy_cross.html#_

The Gillette Stadium Wikii Page and quote.

In 2012, it will also become the home stadium for the football program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass).Gillette_Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_Stadium)

GeeWiz
July 27th, 2011, 07:24 AM

+1

UNHWILDCATS05
July 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM

As far as actual facilities, maybe, but if you were lucky enough to actually get a tailgating space or know someone with a tailgating space, I don't think there was a better and/or unique place to watch a game...

aceinthehole
July 27th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I'm looking forward to CCSU's game at JMU to experience that new stadium.

I've only seen games at 2 CAA stadiums so far, but here's my thoughts:

Unitas Stadium at Towson - Very nice, modern and clean facility in the middle of campus. Certainly the track around the field makes the seating farther from the action than ideal, but great sightlines and ample seating. Concessions were more than adequate, the scorebaord was nice and big (although it did lack a video board if I recall), and restrooms were clean and plentiful. The crowd was very respectable for an early season non-conference game vs. a "lesser" opponent, but you still would have expecetd bigger because it was at night and the weather was perfect. Overall: B+

Zable Stadium at William & Mary - I love historic Williamsburg, and the campus is stunning. The stadium is located in the middle of campus and the crowd/tailgating was very impressive. The main stands on both sides of the field had some nice architectual elements from the exterior, but are less than optimal for seating. Personally, I found the stadium bigger, but very similar, to my high school stadium built in the 1930s as a WPA project. The crowd was great and the place was packed for a night game. The 'temporary' seating set up in each end zone game certainly gave the facility more of a "stadium feel," along with the nice scoreboard and videoboard. But its less than optimal sightlines and its "smaller" feel, are small drawbacks. Overall: B

Longhorn
July 27th, 2011, 09:16 AM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/colewelter/scoreboard.jpg

Image taken last week showing the scale/size of JMU's new HD scoreboard at field level.

jmufan999
July 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Unitas Stadium at Towson - Overall: B+

Zable Stadium at William & Mary - Overall: B

wow... i can't wait to see what our grade is after you visit Bridgeforth. pretty generous grader.

andy7171
July 27th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Unitas Stadium at Towson - Very nice, modern and clean facility in the middle of campus. Certainly the track around the field makes the seating farther from the action than ideal, but great sightlines and ample seating. Concessions were more than adequate, the scorebaord was nice and big (although it did lack a video board if I recall), and restrooms were clean and plentiful. The crowd was very respectable for an early season non-conference game vs. a "lesser" opponent, but you still would have expecetd bigger because it was at night and the weather was perfect. Overall: B+

Zable Stadium at William & Mary - I love historic Williamsburg, and the campus is stunning. The stadium is located in the middle of campus and the crowd/tailgating was very impressive. The main stands on both sides of the field had some nice architectual elements from the exterior, but are less than optimal for seating. Personally, I found the stadium bigger, but very similar, to my high school stadium built in the 1930s as a WPA project. The crowd was great and the place was packed for a night game. The 'temporary' seating set up in each end zone game certainly gave the facility more of a "stadium feel," along with the nice scoreboard and videoboard. But its less than optimal sightlines and its "smaller" feel, are small drawbacks. Overall: B

We installed a giant video board the after we played you last, '07? '07 we upgraded to FieldTurf. That stuff was REALLY soft that night.

Video board went up in '08.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/andy71717/morgan08002.jpg?t=1311796102

FunFact: This picture was taken at 4pm in September. It was this dark because a Tropical Storm was moving out. The clouds were flying by at an incredible clip.

aceinthehole
July 27th, 2011, 02:59 PM
You know, I'm from the NEC ;)

Seriously, I'm grading on the ideal facility for a FCS program. Here's how I'd rate other FCS stadiums where I've seen games:

Arute Field: C- (updated, on campus, nice tailgate/access to seats, very, very small)
Yale Bowl: B- (historic, too big/empty, exterior seems awkward and out of place )
Goodman Stadium: B (perfect size, beautiful scenery, crappy scoreboard)

I've also been to college football games at Army, Navy, Penn State, Michigan, and Tennessee as well, but those are graded on a different scale.

TwoFeathers
August 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Think you got it right here!
W&M could use an upgrade in our seating. We have room to expand the home side back towards our practice field but don't see the $$. The sightline for W&M is no worse than the visitor seats at JMU, we just don't have the bucks for expansion.

Have you seen the new Laycock center??? I don't think it's lack of money, I just think they don't want a gi-normous stadium in the middle of campus. An issue of aesthetics and priorities.

TwoFeathers
August 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Did someone actually post that we don't fill Zable but the crowd gets fired up (paraphrasing)? W&M sells out most games and 40% of the crowd is quiet.

Right... I think someone last year said W&M averages something like 14K attendance per game, and I could of sworn it was maybe 2,000 at best.

TwoFeathers
August 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Can't really participate... I've only been to JMU and William and Mary.

I will say... I sat in the first row in the endzone and did not find the sight lines to be worse than the same place at any other stadium. Really nice stadium... and I love the neo-colonial pressbox, haha.

Best upgrade recently has been the lights...

TwoFeathers
August 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM

Or you can mingle your way to the student section (unreserved) and get a seat about 1/2 way up on the 40 yard line. Perfect location.

TwoFeathers
August 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
Oh please. Then again, when the best seats (potentially) at Zable don't even exist because of a cattle chute at the 50 yard line, I suppose endzone seats may be the best you've got. ;)

Nah... it's not that bad at Zable. And it makes it alot easier walking around, etc.. IMO.

TwoFeathers
August 2nd, 2011, 07:56 PM

Also I think Tribe students, fans and Alumni love it just as it is. While we've always had a strong football program, it certainly isn't the highest priority at the school.

TwoFeathers
August 2nd, 2011, 08:01 PM

I just don't think it's a priority at W&M. The football program pulls in a good amount of private money (see Zable, Laycock Center, etc...), and I just think they want to keep it an intimate and aesthetic environment. As long as you are 1/2 way up on any side, it's fine. There's always going to be a better seat in some other stadium. Way overblown in my opinion.

GaSouthern
August 3rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Dude, you can quote more than one person in a single post :)

TwoFeathers
August 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM
LOL, I got on a roll there, didn't I...