PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Stadiums: Patriot League

crusader11
July 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I saw this over on the Ivy League message board and thought it would be interesting to do over here. While the PL stadiums are not nearly as historic, the league boasts several of the nicer stadiums around the FCS. So, where do your stadiums ranks 1-7?

Also, let me clarify, this is from a fan's/viewer's perspective only. So training facilities, weight rooms, film rooms, locker rooms, etc. should not be taken into account...just the game day atmosphere for the fan.

Here are my rankings:

1) Lehigh...I still maintain that there is no better place to catch an FCS game in the fall than Goodman Stadium. With the scenic backdrop of the mountainside, beautiful foliage, and clear sight lines from every seat, Goodman is nothing short of exceptional.

2) Lafayette...The Leopards may have overall better facilities than their brethren just miles away, but I love the classic feel that you get over at Lehigh. Parking is pretty tight in Easton, which can make things difficult at times. One cannot deny the prime location at the bottom of the campus with state of the art facilities though.

3) Holy Cross...From purely a spectator's perspective, Fitton Field has unquestionably the best sight lines to the field. The front row of the stands sits no more than 10-15 feet from the field of play which gives one the feeling of literally being on top of the field.

4) Colgate...Other than the brutal drive to Hamilton, NY, Andy Kerr Stadium is a nice place to catch a game. The visitor's stands (bleachers, actually) are a little outdated and rather uncomfortable to sit on.

The following three stadiums are glorified high school "stadiums" to be fair, and not much more.

5) Fordham...Set in the middle of a beautiful campus, Jack Coffey Field seats roughly 7,000 people and only has bleachers on the home side of the field. The problem with Coffey Field is that it does not have that "stadium feel" at all. It is more of a multi-purpose field as the football field is connected with the baseball field that sits behind it. There is ample parking and tailgating is easy, which is definitely a plus.

6) Bucknell...Having such dismal crowds attend the Bucknell football games certainly makes Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium a boring place to watch a game. There really is not too much that is special about this field, and away crowds will often outnumber Bucknell's home side.

7) Georgetown...Well this one was predictable, right? There is potential for this "stadium" as it sits in the middle of a beautiful campus, but Georgetown's Multi-Sport Field will sit in the basement of PL stadiums until there are significant improvements made.

What are your rankings?

Ivytalk
July 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I've only seen # 1,2, and 4 on your list, crusader11, but I tend to agree with you on those. Goodman is a great venue.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I actually don't look at Christy Matthewson as a glorified hs stadium, it does have 13k seats. The funny part is, it also serves as Lewisburg High Schools homefield, lol. Overall, it's one of my favorite places to watch a game. Even with the track, it feels like you're right on top of the field. The only thing it could really use is an updated pressbox imo.

crusader11
July 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
You're right about Christ Mathewson. Maybe "high school crowds" would have been a better way to put it? I have found it to be the most boring place in the PL to watch a game.

breezy
July 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I tend to agree with crusader11's rankings. I have not seen a football game at Andy Kerr so I cannot comment on that. I did see a couple of games at Christy Mathewson about 20 years ago and I thought it was fine, and better than Jack Coffey because having all the seats on one side is quite disconcerting. I agree that at Fitton Field you can really get the feel of being very close to the action.

IvyTalk -- Hard to believe you have never been to Fitton. Maybe this year? :)

RichH2
July 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Lehigh beautiful setting , classic building

pards great stadium and facilities just a notch behind lehigh overall
I sort of like Bucknell's stadium, biggest drawback is track but great setting.

gate very enjoyable place to watch football ( not so much in November)
Fordham and Hoya's are i hope works in progress

carney2
July 12th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I've only seen 11's 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, and in a predictable homer call would reverse 1 and 2, and definitely do not see Christy Mathewson as any kind of a high school venue.

DFW HOYA
July 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I've only seen 11's 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, and in a predictable homer call would reverse 1 and 2, and definitely do not see Christy Mathewson as any kind of a high school venue.

I thought you had seen #7 before.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5aDKqsf1RVE/SpSMgdAzrwI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/yTpXuof1UQU/s400/msf5.jpg

Sam
July 12th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Andy I enjoy your posts you make me laugh. I am a Colgate fan but really enjoy your humorxlolx

LBPop
July 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Having spent four years chasing LBKid around, I have had the opportunity to see them all. First let me say that Georgetown belongs in a separate category. Grouping the "MSF" (the name alone says all we need to know) with Bucknell and Fordham is an insult to those two stadia (yep, I took Latin xlolx). Bucknell is "boring" because of its fan base. But it is really a nice facility and the trimmed hedges at the closed end of the horseshoe are a great touch. Yes Fordham is nothing special, but at least the stands seem like they are supposed to be permanent. Here's my scorecard:

Lafayette - Not quite Goodman, but the scoreboard is special and I value an on campus location very highly.

Lehigh - Beautiful setting and the best concessions (at least they were). If it were on campus, it would be my #1.

Colgate - Yes the Holy Cross field is fundamentally better, but I give the edge to Colgate because of the area. That part of NY is just beautiful...especially in early fall. Sure, the drive is rough but much of it is on scenic highways.

Holy Cross - This place has the feel of the old Ivy League fields. It reminded me of a smaller Yale Bowl (before the renovation). As was mentioned, the sight lines and proximity to the field are excellent. But it feels very old, parking is a pain, and the surrounding area...

Bucknell - The place is very attractive and is located on a very attractive campus. You do feel farther from the field than most and the place is kind of "antiseptic". It does not seem to evoke memories of past glory. Georgetown fans would "kill" for a stadium like this...even if they had to have it across the road from a prison.

Fordham - It's kind of a larger Georgetown. But the access by rail and the wisecracks from the NY crowd make it a fun place to go.

Georgetown - It's on a beautiful campus and only a couple of blocks from great restaurants, bars, shopping and attractive wealthy people. Oh yeah, I am told that you can also play football in it.

carney2
July 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I thought you had seen #7 before.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5aDKqsf1RVE/SpSMgdAzrwI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/yTpXuof1UQU/s400/msf5.jpg

Only on TV and from shots such as this. Beyond that, it has a reputation that cannot be equaled.

LBPop
July 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Only on TV and from shots such as this. Beyond that, it has a reputation that cannot be equaled.

Hey Carney, I noticed that your total posts on AGS now roughly equal a sell out at Georgetown. xlolxxbawlingx

carney2
July 12th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hey Carney, I noticed that your total posts on AGS now roughly equal a sell out at Georgetown. xlolxxbawlingx

And I know not which that unfortunately true statement shames the more.

Wildcat80
July 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Since you asked....and I've been to all but one here are my two cents...

#1--Unquestionably Lafayette!!! Renovated, video, turf, on campus, near civilization......wish we had these facilities in Durham!
#2--Holy Cross---only drawback is if it is not full.
#3--Lehigh---guess I might see some improvements but I remember it out by itself....a muddy quagmire....no video...far from the field.
#4--Bucknell---nice overall experience.
#5--Colgate---home side is terrific...visitors are high school....like UNH!
#6--Fordham---never been but it has to be better than G-town!
#7--Georgetown---a pit in the middle of beautiful campus. Would be okay if this was the first year of playing football!!??

Unfortunately if I was rating UNH's stadium it would be no higher than #6 on this list. Our team deserves better!

Brad82
July 12th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Lehigh-great venue,real old school feel.
HC-smaller version of above.
Fordham -a field (bleachers on steroids)=not a stadium,but great location and surroundings.

Ivytalk
July 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I tend to agree with crusader11's rankings. I have not seen a football game at Andy Kerr so I cannot comment on that. I did see a couple of games at Christy Mathewson about 20 years ago and I thought it was fine, and better than Jack Coffey because having all the seats on one side is quite disconcerting. I agree that at Fitton Field you can really get the feel of being very close to the action.

IvyTalk -- Hard to believe you have never been to Fitton. Maybe this year? :)

breezy: Sad to say I've never been inside Fitton, although I've seen it from the outside. Saw HC at Harvard several times, and they were always hard fought games.

Ken_Z
July 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM
according to our ad, we are in the planning stages for a "major renovation of Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium." not sure what this means since this has been under discussion for at least several years now. two or three years ago, i heard possible plans included a rebuild of the home side of the field to potentially include new football and lax locker rooms, dedicated weight facility and training rooms etc., film screening room, indoor Bison Club reception room with direct access to stands, and a new press box. based on review of campus master plan, a new scoreboard may also be under consideration.

if they do all that it would be a very nice upgrade, then we just have to get competitive on the field and bring some fans in to the games. nuthin to it, ehh. of course, should note that fundraising for this would have to be in addition to the current capital campaign.

Lafalumni29
July 13th, 2011, 08:39 PM
1 - Lafayette, and I'm being fair and impartial ;) Really people, the other stadiums are fighting for second.
2 - Holy Cross - This was, by far, the BEST place to see and play a game in the early 90's when they would pack the place. Reminds me of a mini happy valley with everyone stomping on the aluminum bleachers. Close to the action
3 - LU - I was going to put them last, but hey, its "ok" when the rivalry is played there. Biggest takeaways are the distance of stands to the field and the in-the-middle-of nowhere feel.
4 -Colgate
5 -Fordham
6 -Bucknell - soooo much potential
7 -Gtown - never been

Fordham
July 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Lc
Lu
Hc
Cg
Bu
Fu
Gt

TheValleyRaider
July 13th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I haven't been to Georgetown and Fordham, so I can't compare those. Actually, I'm not sure I can compare Lafayette's either, as I haven't been since they did the renovation

Lehigh is my favorite, though the crowds helped that. The only thing it really needs is a better scoreboard, especially with the sun shining right on it. Otherwise, easily my favorite gameday atmosphere in the league

Holy Cross is almost too big, such that if there isn't a huge crowd, it feels empty. The lack of space around the place is a downer as well, though inside was nice enough

Bucknell's is perfectly situated with the campus and everything, and while it's pleasing to look at, completely lacks any kind of buzz without people there

I can't be totally fair about Colgate, but I can see why other people wouldn't care so much for it

Go...gate
July 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Lehigh
Lafayette
Holy Cross
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown

Sader87
July 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Kyle must be a helluva stadium...

UAalum72
July 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Kyle must be a helluva stadium...
OK, so I put the player countdown post in the wrong thread. Sorry.

But while I'm here, Lehigh's stadium is decent, but the hurricane the day I was there made it hard to judge the tailgating; Fordham's Field doesn't live up to the rest of the campus; and rolling down US-20 on a fall morning to Colgate is one of my favorite road trip rides.

DFW HOYA
July 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM
My picks.

1. LEHIGH/Goodman Stadium
http://www.comfortsuitesbethlehem.com/graphics/lehigh_goodman_stadium.jpg
The best stadium in the PL--a balanced facility (equal home and away sides), great views of the area, plenty of parking. Gets the slight nod over Lafayette because it is expandable and a bit more open in spacing. Built for a long future.

2. LAFAYETTE/Fisher Stadium
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/lafayette-leopards-fisher-stadium/Fisher-Stadium-1.jpg
The best on-campus stadium in the league--a comfortable place for fans and superior game day facilities. A smaller visitor side is a drawback, as is parking, but the renovation was a huge step up from what it was before.

3. HOLY CROSS/Fitton Field
http://goholycross.com/information/directory/facility_photos/fitton-fb.jpg
A relic of HC's storied past, Fitton is a great place from a distance but a spartan one for fans. Althoug renovated in the mid-80's, it could probably use some modernization that accentuates the HC football tradition.

4. BUCKNELL/Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/buck/galleries/Christy_Mathewson_Memorial_Stadium_2006/dsc_0056r-lg.jpg
A better stadium than many give it credit, Memorial Stadium suffers more for the perception of poor attendance than its design or amenities. A significant renovation could move it into the top three, and a better record couldn't hurt, either.

5. COLGATE/Andy Kerr Stadium
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/colgate-raiders-andy-kerr-stadium/Andy-Kerr-Stadium-1.jpg
Home side? Nice. The visitors side looks like something from the NEC. The stadium is removed from the rest of the main campus, and would be outstanding if it was up the hill.

6. FORDHAM/Jack Coffey Field
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/fordham-rams-houlihan-park/Coffey-Field-3.jpg
The one-sided stands are a drawback, but Fordham has been reticent to move baseball elsewhere. It doesn't have the stadium atmoshere of the five above it in the rankings.

7. GEORGETOWN/Multi-Sport Field
No surprise, the worst of the seven, unfinished since September 2005 with temporary stands and left with some oddities unique to I-AA football--the press box (and it's a box) is on the far end of the home stands because the bleachers stopped at the 35 yard line, for example. Plans remain active to build out to nearly 5,000 seats, but it's still waiting in line to get done.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM
1. Lehigh - homer obviously but it has a big time FCS feel, it's relatively new as far as stadiums go, has great restrooms and concessions and has an updated scoreboard. The concourses are also nice and wide which allows fans to move around the facility easily. The seats are a bit far removed from the field which is the major drawback.

http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/1/sports/football/Goodman%20Stadium%20HOME%20BRH_2879.jpg

2. Lafayette - The stadium itself still lacks adequate restrooms and concession areas. The reason being, very few changes were made to the homesides infastructure during renovations. Another drawback is, the small away bleachers gives it a bit of an oversized HS feel. The Varsity House and video board are definitely cool plus you can't beat how close you are to the field. The renovations to the Fieldhouse adds to the stadiums appearance but really has nothing to do with it.

3. Holy Cross - Only PL stadium i haven't been to.

4. Bucknell - has great potential but there's no energy surrounding Bison football. The stadium itelf is very nice and has a good amount of historical value. It could use a new pressbox and scoreboard.

5. Colgate - very similar to Lafayette but without the surrounding buildings. The home side is great but the away side has a HS feel to it. The video board is a great addition.

6. Fordham - If they had a 3k seat away side this could be a great little stadium. The setting is fantastic.

7. Georgetown - no need to pile on....

Sader87
July 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Biased obviously, but getting tired of seeing the Lehigh Valley League rate their stadia higher over the obvious #1, Fitton Field. Fitton by far has the best sightlines and the best atmosphere (Worcester PD be damned) in the entire Patsy League.

1. Fitton
2. Andy Kerr
3. Goodman
4. Fisher
5. C. Maw
6. Coffey
7. MSF

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 14th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Here are some awesome pics of Lehigh's Goodman Stadium and Whitehead practice fields. I would post the pics on here but they're protected. The stadium has since been pressure washed, the concrete is once again white, and the scoreboard has been updated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fieldstuff/page3/

Sader87
July 14th, 2011, 11:54 PM
A wager Go Lehigh....UMass @ Holy Cross final attendence vs. Lafayette @ Lehigh this year?

Fordham
July 14th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Biased obviously, but getting tired of seeing the Lehigh Valley League rate their stadia higher over the obvious #1, Fitton Field. Fitton by far has the best sightlines and the best atmosphere (Worcester PD be damned) in the entire Patsy League.

1. Fitton
2. Andy Kerr
3. Goodman
4. Fisher
5. C. Maw
6. Coffey
7. MSF

giggle

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 15th, 2011, 12:02 AM
A wager Go Lehigh....UMass @ Holy Cross final attendence vs. Lafayette @ Lehigh this year?

No matter how many people are at the Lehigh-Lafayette game the attendance will be announced as 16k. I believe the Umass-HC game can surpass that given the night game and Umass's move to the MAC. Umass might bring 10k of their own fans. I know HC is really hyping this game.

If Lehigh lives up to their expectations and the weather is good the LU-HC game will get 10-12k.

Sader87
July 15th, 2011, 12:12 AM
UMass won't bring 10K...it will be interesting with Fitton under the lights....my guess, somewhere in the 17-20K range.

crusader11
July 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Fingers tightly crossed for clear skies.

Go...gate
July 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM

1. Fitton
2. Andy Kerr
3. Goodman
4. Fisher
5. C. Maw
6. Coffey
7. MSF

And when Fitton is full, it is something to see. A GREAT college FB atmosphere. Needs to be cleaned up a bit, though, and some of those seats have seen better days.

ngineer
July 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Agree with the assessments, though I would not denigrate Bucknell's stadium because of lack of bodies in the seats. The edge to Goodman is the great expanse for tailgating/children activities and parking, rest rooms that you can move in and that are heated in the colder months, plenty of concessions and ease of getting around. The lack of a video board is minor to me, though I hear one is in the works.

carney2
July 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM

I usually don't respond to anything you put up here - or anywhere - but not a fair wager. Fitton's capacity is 23,500. Badman's is 16,000. Lafayette @ Lehigh will be a sellout with people clamoring for more tickets than are available. UMass @ HC will not be a sellout. In equal 30,000 seat stadiums who would have sold more tickets? I'm betting it wouldn't be the purple.

Sader87
July 17th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I usually don't respond to anything you put up here - or anywhere - but not a fair wager. Fitton's capacity is 23,500. Badman's is 16,000. Lafayette @ Lehigh will be a sellout with people clamoring for more tickets than are available. UMass @ HC will not be a sellout. In equal 30,000 seat stadiums who would have sold more tickets? I'm betting it wouldn't be the purple.

Not as long as we are in the Patsy League....

Bogus Megapardus
July 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Those who question the convenience of parking in Pardsville (a) don't know how to do it (because it's never a problem) and (b) must relish the notion of traipsing a mile or so across the treeless, sodden muck at Goodman while hefting the high-powered binoculars they'll need to witness any semblance of the action there. I don't get the bathroom/concession comments about Fisher, either. There are expansive, modern, heated facilities on both levels plus high-definition screens at the concessions so you don't miss a moment of the action. By contrast, Goodman's archaic scoreboard is so dated that the incandescent light bulbs it uses to reflect the double-digit margin of each and every Engineer home loss soon will be unlawful to manufacture or purchase. Then what will they do, paint numbers on bedsheets?

I have been to every PL stadium. Fisher Field clearly is in a class by itself at the top, followed by Fitton, with its capacity and great sightlines (though the winds can be a problem) and then Goodman, which has a nice, balanced feel but is far removed from campus and has many seats that are unnecessarily removed from the action. Mathewson is solid and picturesque and Kerr has a fantastic old-school feel. Murphy Field is better than folks give credit and it's right on campus but it's one-sided and rather dated. MSF? I'm not sure anyone thinks it's more than an intramural field, but it always fills to capacity (at least at the start of the game) and the fans are enthusiastic. MSF actually has the best campus location of the whole bunch, or at least as good as Fisher.

Pard4Life
July 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM
There is no question that Lafayette is the best stadium in the Patriot League. The descriptions of Lehigh football being 'classic' makes me laugh. The stadium is new. It is off campus. The sight lines are terrible. You can't read the scoreboard unless it's cloudy. You have to walk across a field to get there and good luck if its muddy.

Fisher Stadium is nestled on a hillside, on campus, and in a neighborhood. How 'old school' can you get? Many of America's classic ballparks and stadiums are in neighborhoods, i.e. Wrigley Field. You are close to the field and you have a commanding view of the field due to the slope of the stadium on the home side. We have a great video board, lighting, FieldTurf (though I do prefer grass), and a great facility surrounding the field. As a fan, you can walk close to the field on the east end at halftime or hang over the railing and literally be in the sideline meetings. The next best thing is watching Hard Knocks.

And parking is NEVER an issue... you have to just think about it. And traffic is never a problem for me at Goodman either... read a map, take the side roads, and avoid where the majority drives. If you drive up Lafayette St. from 611, you will never sit in Laf-Lehigh traffic ever again.

Fordham - great setting and view, but the layout is not the best
Bucknell - the track takes up a lot of space and the stadium is just too wide... it has alot of potential though and can equal Lafayette
Never been to G'town, Colgate, or HC

Franks Tanks
July 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
1- Lafayette- Modern amenities in a historic on campus setting. The leopards have been playing football in the same spot since 1926. On campus which means the whole school is rocking for the big game or homecoming. Drawbacks are the rather small visitor side ( I would like to see it slightly larger), and lack of restrooms on the visitor side. Contrary to other comments the rest rooms and concession facilities on the home side are very good, and parking is rarely an issue (we have a new parking garage on campus you guys may not know about).

2- Lehigh- I like the balanced bleachers, and the scenery is great on a fall day. The major drawback (even greater than being off campus imo) is that the stands are a mile away from the field and have a gentle slope. If you sit near the top of the stands you are way too far away for such a relatively small stadium.

3- Holy Cross- Massive hunk of shiny silver aluminum. It is large and on campus, but pretty much devoid of any other defining characteristics.

4- Colgate- Home side is very nice, and the new video board is a very welcome addition. Visitor side is rather poor (wood bleachers last time I was there), and the track around the field is also a drawback.

5- Bucknell- Actually a very nice historic stadium in a beautiful on campus setting. Needs a bit of updating, and is sorely lacking in atmosphere.

6- Fordham- My least favorite PL road spot to play. The grass was terrible, and it felt weird standing in the middle of a field all by yourself on the visitor sideline. Props for getting rid of the terrible grass field however.

7- Georgetown- Nothing else to say about MSF. However, if the Hoya's finish 1/2 of the renovations it will blow by Jack Coffey.

ngineer
July 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM
The comments about Goodman's scoreboard are outdated as the lights were upgraded last summer and were never a problem in 2010...but then the 'pards had trouble reading/believing their own scoreboard last year. I'm sure you won't have any trouble reading the score this year at Goodman for the Four-peat! (;-)

GannonFan
July 21st, 2011, 07:22 AM
I've only driven past Lafayette's stadium and have only been to Lehigh's and Bucknell's, but I can't imagine Lehigh is the best in the conference. It's certainly a nice stadium, but there are far too many negatives that would make it fall below Lafayette's - Lehigh's stadium is in the middle of nowhere, everything feels spread out and the stands couldn't be much further away from the field. It looks pretty, but you feel like the game is a mile away when you're there. Lafayette's stadium is so compact, and on campus, that I can't imagine it isn't better. Having been to Bucknell (granted, almost 20 years ago now) the place was a dump. Have to believe the place has to be near the bottom of the conference, and that's without the impact of the product on the field, which just pushes it down further.

AppAlum2003
July 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
I expected to come in here and make fun of some of these stadiums but a lot of them are actually not bad.

There... there's your backhanded compliment :)

Bogus Megapardus
July 21st, 2011, 09:30 AM
I expected to come in here and make fun of some of these stadiums but a lot of them are actually not bad.

Fisher Field, then:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7678/fisher1926resize.jpg

And now:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8374/lafleh11202010resize.jpg

Lafayette already had been playing football for 40 years when that shot was taken in 1926, and were the undefeated National Champions of college football that year. So yeah, "actually not bad" would be a fair description.

And yes, it really does look like this:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1678/lafayettestadium.jpg

Franks Tanks
July 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
Fisher also had 18,000 seats back in the day, quite large for its time. The away side was reduced in size to make way for the Kirby Sports Center in 1973 (I believe).

Bogus Megapardus
July 21st, 2011, 10:01 AM
Fisher also had 18,000 seats back in the day, quite large for its time. The away side was reduced in size to make way for the Kirby Sports Center in 1973 (I believe).

The home side is exactly the same, though. I recall seeing early plans for the renovation that actually had the visitor's side eliminated entirely. In its place it indicated, "future arena expansion."

carney2
July 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
The home side is exactly the same, though.

Didn't we lose some seats on the home side - possibly because of those expanded 21st century fannies - in the renovation?

Franks Tanks
July 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM
Didn't we lose some seats on the home side - possibly because of those expanded 21st century fannies - in the renovation?

I think a few front rows were lost to make way for the wider and more handicap accessible aisle at the front of the stands.

LBPop
July 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM
Fisher Field, then:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7678/fisher1926resize.jpg

And now:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8374/lafleh11202010resize.jpg

Lafayette already had been playing football for 40 years when that shot was taken in 1926, and were the undefeated National Champions of college football that year. So yeah, "actually not bad" would be a fair description.

And yes, it really does look like this:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1678/lafayettestadium.jpg

You know, if that photo from 1926 was in color and a little sharper, I think that stadium would have looked great. Yeah, I am old school but it would be more than a couple of decades before I came on the scene...;) And I should note that I ranked Fisher #1.

LUHawker
July 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM
I've only driven past Lafayette's stadium and have only been to Lehigh's and Bucknell's, but I can't imagine Lehigh is the best in the conference. It's certainly a nice stadium, but there are far too many negatives that would make it fall below Lafayette's - Lehigh's stadium is in the middle of nowhere, everything feels spread out and the stands couldn't be much further away from the field. It looks pretty, but you feel like the game is a mile away when you're there. Lafayette's stadium is so compact, and on campus, that I can't imagine it isn't better. Having been to Bucknell (granted, almost 20 years ago now) the place was a dump. Have to believe the place has to be near the bottom of the conference, and that's without the impact of the product on the field, which just pushes it down further.

Clearly you haven't attended games at both. And seriously for you and all those others that tout proximity to campus - does it really matter as a fan? Delaware Stadium is hardly an "on-campus" venue.

bostonspider
July 21st, 2011, 03:22 PM
You know, after having UR play at UR/City Stadium all those years and then return to campus and Robins Stadium, it really does matter! To be able to stroll through campus before, or especially after the game is a real treat, and really makes you feel connected to the school.

GannonFan
July 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
Clearly you haven't attended games at both. And seriously for you and all those others that tout proximity to campus - does it really matter as a fan? Delaware Stadium is hardly an "on-campus" venue.

Delaware Stadium is far more "on-campus" than Lehigh's is. Just a 5 minute walk, and really, for AG students that is the campus. And besides, at least there are things around the stadium - restaurants, buildings, people, etc. Goodman is in the middle of a big empty field that itself is in the middle of an even bigger empty area. Sure it's pretty, but you really feel like you're in a big empty space, and having the seats that far away from the field just magnifies the emptiness.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Delaware Stadium is far more "on-campus" than Lehigh's is. Just a 5 minute walk, and really, for AG students that is the campus. And besides, at least there are things around the stadium - restaurants, buildings, people, etc. Goodman is in the middle of a big empty field that itself is in the middle of an even bigger empty area. Sure it's pretty, but you really feel like you're in a big empty space, and having the seats that far away from the field just magnifies the emptiness.

Goodman is on campus, Lehigh's athletic campus. Very few schools at this level have an entire athletic campus like Lehigh does.

Bogus Megapardus
July 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM
Goodman is on campus, Lehigh's athletic campus. Very few schools at this level have an entire athletic campus like Lehigh does.

Many schools have a distict athletic campus adjacent to the academic campus (Colgate, Princeton). Some have athletic facilities throughout campus (Holy Cross, Cornell). Urban schools (Yale, Harvard, Columbia) often have a separate athletic campus (Harvard's is right over the bridge but Yale's athletic facilities - including the Yale Bowl - are about 2 miles west of campus).

I agree that Richmond fans soon will discover how much better it is to have football on campus.

bison137
July 22nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Having been to Bucknell (granted, almost 20 years ago now) the place was a dump. Have to believe the place has to be near the bottom of the conference,

You must have been to Bucknell more than 20 years ago. In 1989, a complete multi-million dollar renovation of the facility took place and it is certainly not a dump now. There was also a secondary upgrading more recently. Could use a new press box but that's about it. Since the renovation, it has a high percentage of fairly new chairbacks, all new seats, new lights, new turf, new scoreboard, new concession stands, new gateway to the stadium, new landscaping, etc.

GannonFan
July 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
You must have been to Bucknell more than 20 years ago. In 1989, a complete multi-million dollar renovation of the facility took place and it is certainly not a dump now. There was also a secondary upgrading more recently. Could use a new press box but that's about it. Since the renovation, it has a high percentage of fairly new chairbacks, all new seats, new lights, new turf, new scoreboard, new concession stands, new gateway to the stadium, new landscaping, etc.

I was there in '91 and '92.

LBPop
July 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM

Obviously a great facility off campus is better than an awful place on campus (see Georgetown's MSF). So Lehigh's stadium is excellent. But for me a large part of the experience of seeing college football is being on the campus. It reminds me that these kids are different than the pros (at least most of them) and it's part of the experience. When we went on the recruiting trail, the Yale Bowl was impressive, but having to get in the car and drive to it took away some of the appeal for me.

Bogus Megapardus
July 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Dartmouth blogger Big Green Alert (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/) chimes in on the PL stadia:

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/names-places.html

1. Lafayette - It would be overstating it to say this went from the outhouse to the penthouse with the recent renovations. With no track the seats are close to the field and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Parked behind one end zone, the graceful Bourger Fieldhouse is the exclamation mark on a renovation well done.

2. Lehigh - A bowl in a gorgeous setting with a nice grassy bank in the end zone for overflow sitting. The only down side is if you are high up at the 50 you are a long, long way from the field because of the curve of the stands.

3. Colgate - Another very pretty setting with towering home stands. Visiting side has been renovated nicely but the abundance of advertising on the massive scoreboard is a blemish.

4. Holy Cross - A bizarre shape to be sure but good sight lines and excellent proximity to the field. A great venue when Boston College comes to town ... but the Eagles haven't been there since 1986 and they aren't coming back.

5. Bucknell - Appropriately sized with seating removed from the closed end of the horseshoe and Bucknell spelled out in shrubbery. A peaceful and beautiful setting but the track pushes fans far from the action and the open end of the horseshoe diminishes the stadium feel.

6. Fordham - The home stands are nothing special but worse than that is that there are no visiting stands. Whether you need them or not you must have them or risk looking like a high school field in a state where high school football doesn't matter.

7. Georgetown - Multi-Sport Field. The name says it all.

TheValleyRaider
July 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Dartmouth blogger Big Green Alert (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/) chimes in on the PL stadia:

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/names-places.html

So he reads this board, and yet doesn't post or is even a member? This place could use another Ivy rep, especially one from the northern outpost

Go...gate
July 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM

Lehigh did what Rutgers did - RU's stadium is in a natural ravine on RU's Busch Campus in Piscataway. What does having an additional campus at LU make Goodman somehow "off-campus"?

Neighbor2
July 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Goodman would be considered on campus if not for the mountain that separates student from sport. It's tough to overlook a mountain.

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Goodman would be considered on campus if not for the mountain that separates student from sport. It's tough to overlook a mountain.

Even more than that.

Let's say you start at the location of Lehigh's former on-campus Taylor Stadium. You have to get in a car and drive almost four miles over a mountain, into another town and into another zip code (it might even be in a different county, I'm not sure), then across a six-lane Interstate Highway, past rows of McMansions and finally across a barren, muddy field.

It's a lovely stadium, don't get me wrong. But please don't try to convince anybody that it's "on campus."

carney2
July 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
So he reads this board, and yet doesn't post or is even a member? This place could use another Ivy rep, especially one from the northern outpost

I only ever recall seeing AGS posts from a very few Ivy schools - Harvard and Princeton for certain and I think Yale, but beyond that,...

carney2
July 24th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Even more than that.

Let's say you start at the location of Lehigh's former on-campus Taylor Stadium. You have to get in a car and drive almost four miles over a mountain, into another town and into another zip code (it might even be in a different county, I'm not sure), then across a six-lane Interstate Highway, past rows of McMansions and finally across a barren, muddy field.

It's a lovely stadium, don't get me wrong. But please don't try to convince anybody that it's "on campus."

Same county, but all else you say is correct. NOT on campus. My biggest objection to Badman is the parking. It is certainly ample, but I've been there when it's been like parking in the Okefenokee. I've arrived home with mud up to my hips and had to spend most of Sunday cleaning out my car.

bison137
July 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I was there in '91 and '92.

Then apparently your memory is very, very, very bad. Doubt you could find anyone else who shares your view.

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Same county, but all else you say is correct. NOT on campus. My biggest objection to Badman is the parking. It is certainly ample, but I've been there when it's been like parking in the Okefenokee. I've arrived home with mud up to my hips and had to spend most of Sunday cleaning out my car.

You need a pass to drive through Sayre Park (where the fraternities are located) so you can't cut through that way. It appears that if you take Rt. 378 over the mountain you actually DO go into a different (Lehigh) county, but then back again into Northampton County. If you go through Hellertown it's the same county.

When Fordham plays its annual Mayor's Cup contest against Columbia, the travel to the away game for each is closer than Goodman is to Lehigh's main campus.

Wildcat80
July 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Lehigh did what Rutgers did - RU's stadium is in a natural ravine on RU's Busch Campus in Piscataway. What does having an additional campus at LU make Goodman somehow "off-campus"?

Don't even go there...for a bcs program Rutgers campus is the worst. Vintage WWII barracks!

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Then apparently your memory is very, very, very bad. Doubt you could find anyone else who shares your view.

If you see the "Bucknell Shrubberies" in the endzone then it's post-renovation, correct?

bison137
July 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I actually don't look at Christy Matthewson as a glorified hs stadium, it does have 13k seats. The funny part is, it also serves as Lewisburg High Schools homefield, lol. Overall, it's one of my favorite places to watch a game. Even with the track, it feels like you're right on top of the field. The only thing it could really use is an updated pressbox imo.

Agree. In addition to seating over 13k, it has a high pct of relatively new chairbacks. There's no way it's worse than #4 of the PL stadiums, unless rankings are based solely on attendance. Definitely needs a new press box.

bison137
July 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM
If you see the "Bucknell Shrubberies" in the endzone then it's post-renovation, correct?

Yes. Prior to that, it seated over 18,000 but the end zone seating was very old concrete and was in bad condition.

http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/5517/user/135354/394540.jpg
http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/5517/user/135354/394539.jpg
http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/5517/user/135354/394538.jpg
http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/5517/user/135354/391429.jpg

dgtw
July 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Why did they name the football stadium for Matthewson and not their baseball stadium?

Sader87
July 24th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I want a shrubbery for Fitton....one that looks nice and not too expensive.

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I want a shrubbery for Fitton....one that looks nice and not too expensive.

Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.

CrusaderBob
July 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM
If you need a shrubbery perhaps you should find Roger the Shrubber. He arranges, designs, and sells shrubberies.

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Depraved minds think alike.

I think Bucknell's stadium just took on a whole new meaning.

CrusaderBob
July 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Agree Bogus. Of course as a Crusader, it is not a far stretch to think of Sader87 as a knight.

One who undoubtably says Ni!

Sader87
July 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Ahhh, the Patriot League...whilst most of this board is showing off its "cornhole board" designs, we banter in Monty Pythonese.

UAalum72
July 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Why did they name the football stadium for Matthewson and not their baseball stadium?
The 'Memorial' part honors alumni veterans; Matthewson was gassed during World War I (during a training exercise)

Per Bucknell
"Christy Mathewson was one of the five original members of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., but gained his initial athletic fame as a fullback, punter and dropkicker at Bucknell from 1898-1900.

One of the truly outstanding players of his era, Mathewson kicked a point after touchdown in the first varsity game of his freshman year, and in the next three years added 13 touchdowns and eight field goals.
Mathewson gained national attention when he dropkicked two field goals against Pennsylvania in 1899 and added a 45-yard field goal against Army the following year. As a result, he was named the "12th man" on Walter Camp's 1900 All-America team.
Reports in Bucknell files indicate that Mathewson practiced his dropkicking hour after hour, and these reports also note that his punting was exceptional throughout his career, a three-year stretch during which he scored 106 points."Matty" was also a punishing runner, and one game account makes note of a 65-yard touchdown run and a 70-yard kickoff return."