Bo Levi Mitchell (QB) - Eastern Washington
Andrew Pierce (RB) - Delaware
DeAndre Presley (QB) - Appalachian State
Tirrell Rennie (QB) - Northern Iowa
Brad Sorensen (QB) - Southern Utah
Chris Summers (WR) - Liberty
Casey Therriault (QB) - Jackson State

http://www.ovcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6200&ATCLID=205163459

Anymore word on Mr. Brockman's situation? xsmhx Any lost games, etc. Seems like old news but it did occur after the season. See below:

http://murrayledger.com/sports/murray_state/brockman-disciplined-by-msu-for-dui-charge/article_b7df5304-2a64-11e0-bf4a-001cc4c03286.html

DetroitFlyer
July 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I know this award it the FCS equivalent of the Heisman for FBS, but I expect better from our division. A list of 10 QBs, 6 RBs and 2 WRs. Either change the award criteria to "the best offensive skill position player in FCS" or actually consider that the best player in FCS might play defense or heaven forbid reside on the offensive line. The division that crowns up a true national champion deserves and is capable of a true debate and not a beauty contest.

There is a separate award for defense.... Here is a hint.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Buchanan_Award.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 11th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I know this award it the FCS equivalent of the Heisman for FBS, but I expect better from our division. A list of 10 QBs, 6 RBs and 2 WRs. Either change the award criteria to "the best offensive skill position player in FCS" or actually consider that the best player in FCS might play defense or heaven forbid reside on the offensive line. The division that crowns up a true national champion deserves and is capable of a true debate and not a beauty contest.

Well first off, the best defensive player gets the Buchanan, so they're not in consideration for the Payton. Agreed about OL, as they're never really considered, but a few have been worthy, such as Michael Roos in 2004 and Ben Ijalana this last year. But, much like the Heisman, it's almost always a QB or RB. I wish they would give more consideration to a WR, since they're getting the ball much less than a QB or RB would. I'd say 1500+ yards and 15+ TDs should generally be enough, considering how the ball is spread around in an offense.

WMTribe90
July 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Well first off, the best defensive player gets the Buchanan, so they're not in consideration for the Payton. Agreed about OL, as they're never really considered, but a few have been worthy, such as Michael Roos in 2004 and Ben Ijalana this last year. But, much like the Heisman, it's almost always a QB or RB. I wish they would give more consideration to a WR, since they're getting the ball much less than a QB or RB would. I'd say 1500+ yards and 15+ TDs should generally be enough, considering how the ball is spread around in an offense.

Per the Sports Network press release:

The Payton Award will celebrate its 25th anniversary this season and be presented to the FCS' outstanding player at the national awards banquet Thursday night, Jan. 5 in Frisco, Texas.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Per the Sports Network press release:

The Payton Award will celebrate its 25th anniversary this season and be presented to the FCS' outstanding player at the national awards banquet Thursday night, Jan. 5 in Frisco, Texas.

Notice it does not say offensive player anywhere. It's supposed to be given to the best player. Its the most recognizable individual award given out in the FCS and is the FCS equivalent of the Heisman. I'm aware of the Buchanan Award, which is exclusively for defensive players, but it is not the equivalent of the Walter Payton award. Again, if the intention is to always award the Payton to an offensive player then change the citeria to "FCS outstanding offensive player". Persoanally, I liked to see the best player (subjective I know) in FCS be recognized whether they play offense or defense. Nothing to say they couldn't win the Buchanan and the Payton.

Then it's purely a semantics omission, but the WP is specifically for offensive players.

WMTribe90
July 11th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I stand corrected. Lot's of media outlets refer to the best player in FCS/IAA, but officially it appears to be intended as the best offensive player.