PDA

View Full Version : ANY LEHIGH FANS AROUND???

MUHAWKS
July 10th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Monmouth fan here and just now finally feeling the excitement of the upcoming season. Monmouth/Lehigh, Labor Day weekend at the jersey shore. Much excitement about this one for us. First OOC game at home against a legit team, start of season, holiday weekend, first time in years that opener has been at home and of course playing a team coming off a playoff season is great. I was wondering if any of you had an honest assesment of how you guys look. I know how you did last year but have no clue who is coming back etc. We are excited about our team this year. The NEC is now a damn tough conference and I would say the top 3-4 teams in the NEC are about at par with the Patriot league tops now. I might catch some heat for that and of course it could be slightly biased but that is how I feel.

Anyway, big question mark for us is O Line, which obviously is important. QB returns as does TE, a couple good RB's, the WR corp looks to be extremely solid.We have a good kicker and our defesne has a chance to be VERY good led by S Jose Gumbs a low level NFL Prospect. Was wondering if any Lehigh fans had any comments/info about your squad, the feeling surrounding this game and how many Lehigh folks will be making the trip.

carney2
July 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Lehigh sux!

A lot of key people returning from last year's team. Should be the preseason pick to win the Patriot League again.

Lehigh sux!

Go...gate
July 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Lehigh should win the conference. Colgate, HC and Lafayette all tough but it is the Engineers' championship to lose.

Colgate - Monmouth ought to be a hell of a game as well.

Wildcat80
July 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM
LFN must be at the beach....

PurpleJersey
July 12th, 2011, 06:28 AM
LFN must be at the beach....

And whatever has happened to Bogus Megapardus??

His comments were always worth reading.

RichH2
July 12th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Lu returns 15 starters and 23 sr lettermen. Losses are 2 top OLinmen, 1 A-A lb and entire dbackfield. wrs ad tes solid as s/b OL rbs and fbs likewise solid and hopefully more productive this yr Qb is excellent. Overall O should actually be substantially better this yr. DL and LB are excellent 2 deep with lettermen . DB starters s/b OK depth will have to be developed.

Monmouth game should be competitve for a while . Expect high pressure Drus with lots of hurries and sacks, necessary to protect our dbs. If we dont pressure qb could be a close game.

carney2
July 12th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Alas, poor Bogie, I knew him well. He has been ridiculed and bludgeoned by bungling administrators to the point that his sharp wit has been dulled and his keen mind is in a temporary dither. He is lurking and shall return.

van
July 13th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Good assessment by Rich, replacing 2 high quality OL starters and defensive backfield is the key to our season. We had good depth at OL, but were thin in spring game due to injuries. Some quality backups at DB last year that saw a lot of playing time, but depth behind them is unknown. First game of the season is always a crap shoot. Considering a road trip to the beach for this one.

RichH2
July 13th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Since it is close enuf I will be travelling down to NJ for game. Absent too many jnjuries from camp s/b a good start for team to face a tough OOC. It will certainly be a competitive game. Monmouth has some more than decent players but a weak OL and not much quality depth.

MUHAWKS
July 16th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Good comments guys, thanks Rich. Wow, 15 out of 21 starters from a very solid team is a big deal. These 1st games are always good for NEC teams against "better" competition b/c 1st week its easier to catch them. However, after 2 years of losing close games to Colgate, a close one against URI, I am sick of 'being close" and we need to win 1. With Colgate and Villanova as our other OOC games, it could be 0-3, and "being close" just won't cut it anymore, IMO.. Interesting comments about high pressure D, pass rush etc to protect DB's..The ironic thing about that is that MU's O line is the key to the season as there will be some newbies. The QB is now a Vet and this may be the best overall WR corp since Miles Austin was there. A couple BURNERS, one a smallish type who you just cant stay with, and some bigger guys..Tranfer RB from West VA. to go along with some other top notch RB's and the offense could be very good if the O line gets up to speed. However, if not, games plans such as u describe could be lethal against us. Our D should be solid and this is one of those MU teams that "could" do a lot of damage, or end up being .500 with 5-6 losses by a combined 25-30 pts..Looking forward to Lehigh.. Quality program, good, knowledgeable fans etc..I do expect a close game and I do NOT think it will come down to the usual better skill, better depth or Lehigh as much as it might in other years..More scheme and adjusting to wrinkles. All the best to you guys..

Go...gate
July 16th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I think MU has a solid chance against Colgate, notwithstanding Eachus' return. I think Colgate may struggle a bit.

ngineer
July 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Been away for a week ..at the Jersey shore and not too far from MU. I expect to make the trip and I expect a good Lehigh turnout with a lot of alums in the general area, plus a lot of players from NJ who will have family attending, too. I have no concerns over our DBs.. Good athletes with game experience. Not starting last year, not a big deal. OL needs some depth, but barring injury should be solid. My concern will be the kicking game. Rookie punter and so-so PK and a new long snapper. Barring major screw ups in that department, I expect a Lehigh win by about 10 points.

Bogus Megapardus
July 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Alas, poor Bogie, I knew him well. He has been ridiculed and bludgeoned by bungling administrators to the point that his sharp wit has been dulled and his keen mind is in a temporary dither. He is lurking and shall return.

I recall participating in a pleasant exchange on this board last season with a poster who tried to suggest that Monmouth would defeat Colgate. It didn't, and it won't. Given the unbalanced (at best) approach of the AGS moderating team, I no longer will participate in such witty jousts, even amongst fellow Patriot League posters, all of whom know better and are exceptionally good sports.

I will add only that the Seaboard Hawks have little to no chance against the Mountain Hawks, even if those denizens of Snookiville do their best to distract the erstwhile dimwitted Engineers by planting "men with hair" within their brown-eyed sight lines.

I guess there's just one thing I'd like to know (especially from FCS fans around the country) - Do the words "Jersey Shore" enhance, or detract from, the overall repute of Monmouth U.?

RichH2
July 17th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hi Bogie, nice to have you back. Methinks Mods have calmed a bit . If true about "Jersey Shore" and MU , I bet their cheerleaders will be interesting. my son hopes they look like JWOWW ( who?).

RichH2
July 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
MUHAWKS
Know how you feel. depressing to define your team by "quality" losse. We have had to do that for 2 many years.

Bogus Megapardus
July 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
But can you handle the action? The hair? The bling?

http://cache.thenewsroom.com/mavrix_photos/2010/05/11/20100510_mavrix_paul_delvecchio_football_beach_pre view.jpg

Now, fill in the blank:

"This is Vinny. Vinny looks as if he throws like a _______."

RichH2
July 17th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Holy cr*p Batman. Have never seen the show. May be hard to tackle MU players ... too much oil and hair gel

MUHAWKS
July 17th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Ha.. FCS exp. I am sure that was me.. I am more mature this year but still a homer.. MU 2-0 vs patriot leagues foes this yr. me thinks.. Did someone say Eachus hurt? Did i read that wrong????

citdog
July 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM

http://cache.thenewsroom.com/mavrix_photos/2010/05/11/20100510_mavrix_paul_delvecchio_football_beach_pre view.jpg

Now, fill in the blank:

http://troll-me.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/douchebag-levrai.jpg

RichH2
July 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Love preseason optimism. 2-0 vs PL. Good luck with that. Count 1-1 as an achievement.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2011, 04:35 PM
OK, then, it's settled. Bore versus Shore. Nerd versus Bird. Neat-O versus Guido.

Let the mayhem commence!

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Now, fill in the blank:

Apparently "The Situation" attended Monmouth for a few semesters before flunking out.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Apparently "The Situation" attended Monmouth for a few semesters before flunking out.

You know Tanks, now I'm wondering if it's really fair to pick on Monmouth U. in the way we do ordinarily on our PL brethren. I kinda feel bad especially since there's so much I could do with this. I'm thinking that they might not be able to handle it particularly well. Were it Holy Cross, Colgate or Lehigh, then no problem, of course. But Monmouth U? The oil . . . the hair gel . . . the mankinis? I'm concerned. It's almost as if it's not really fair . . . .

Franks Tanks
July 19th, 2011, 08:18 AM
You know Tanks, now I'm wondering if it's really fair to pick on Monmouth U. in the way we do ordinarily on our PL brethren. I kinda feel bad especially since there's so much I could do with this. I'm thinking that they might not be able to handle it particularly well. Were it Holy Cross, Colgate or Lehigh, then no problem, of course. But Monmouth U? The oil . . . the hair gel . . . the mankinis? I'm concerned. It's almost as if it's not really fair . . . .

I agree. Monmouth has done nothing to deserve the collective wrath of PL fans. Albany or CCSU is a different story.

Bogus Megapardus
July 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I agree. Monmouth has done nothing to deserve the collective wrath of PL fans. Albany or CCSU is a different story.

True. A significant win by Monmouth U. over a PL school not named Bucknell or Georgetown might alter my newly-found spirit of magnanimity, however.

RichH2
July 19th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Gentlemen I applaud your generousity of spirit towards MU. However, they choose to play us and it would be rank prejudice to deny them the same warm and fuzzy treatment accorded by us to PL schools.

carney2
July 19th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Screw it. If it ain't a ChickenSquawk it don't deserve to be shot at.

UAalum72
July 19th, 2011, 11:11 AM
True. A significant win by Monmouth U. over a PL school not named Bucknell or Georgetown might alter my newly-found spirit of magnanimity, however.
Monmouth has never played Bucknell, but they did have wins over Fordham and Colgate in 2006 (and Towson in 2001).

Bogus Megapardus
July 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Monmouth has never played Bucknell, but they did have wins over Fordham and Colgate in 2006 (and Towson in 2001).

I had no idea that they beat Colgate. This could mean that I can fire away with the Man-mouth male lip-gloss jokes after all. But I'd never bring up, say, Guidos in Speedos unless it was a true emergency.