PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Valley Conference Thoughts

Redhawk2010
July 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM
What are your thoughts for the upcoming season? Who wins the conference? Any surprises this year?

Also, why will your team win the conference this year? What can you tell us about your team?

Open floor OVC.. let's talk!

eiu1999
July 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
From an EIU stand point, they will struggle again like last year. Turnovers were a major problem last year, INTs, QB fumbles, punt/kickoff fumbles. The defense looks to be okay and the offense will struggle to move the ball and put up points. There's a very solid receiver core, but the question is can anyone get them the ball? Also EIU is replacing a 4 year starter at punter.

Redhawk2010
July 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM
The Redhawks have a lot of excitement building. Coming off a record season they look to 2011 as a time to show there has been a change made in Cape Girardeau and the old SEMO is gone. The Redhawks lost a lot of seniors from last year’s team, but it’s time the others pick it up.

Changes continue to build in Cape Girardeau. The football complex is getting a complete renovation with a new locker room, new team meeting room, and the rest of the building has been moved out and renovated. In addition, Houck Stadium is currently undergoing renovations that will give a new feel to the Redhawks. FieldTurf is currently being laid and a new scoreboard was installed a week ago. The scoreboard is a major upgrade for Houck as it has a large video screen and replaces what many would have considered to be a sub-par high school scoreboard. New lights are also being installed for the 2011 season.

The coaching staff has seen numerous changes in the offseason. On one hand, this fan is disappointed to see those guys leave, but changes are inevitable and sometimes when you win your assistants get better jobs. The offensive coordinator from a year ago has gone to New Mexico and the former defensive coordinator has switched sides of the ball. A new D-coordinator has come in. In addition 3 new coaches have been added to the staff as well as numerous other changes in position assignments. Tony Samuel enters his 6th year as the head coach. He is the reigning Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year after the Redhawks compiled a 9-3 record enroute to an Ohio Valley Conference Championship and berth in the NCAA Division One Football Playoffs.

More to come including a look at some key players for the 2011 season and where those 2010 stars are now..

TTUEagles
July 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
With TTU's history of football mediocrity, I guess I'm a true homer and eternal optimist to say that TTU will definitely be a factor in the OVC this year. I'm not saying they WILL win it but, I feel as good about this team as I have in a very long time.
Last year's offense averaged 24 pts/game and return 13 players that started a game, officially returning 11 starters. Top player is NFL-worthy, All-OVC WR Tim Benford. I have never seen a better WR at TTU and he always seems to come up with the big catch. Other coaches in the OVC last year dubbed him the best WR the OVC has had in a long time...The O-line went throuh a lot of injuries last year but basically are 3-deep with starters across the line (some can play mult. OL positions...nevertheless, they are deep there)
The defense (28 pts/game) returns 8, most importantly the '10 OVC sack leader, LB Marcus Edwards. TTU lost 2 DL and top corner, and that might be tough to replace. But, the front 7 are 2-deep in every pos. with letteren and starters
4-year starter is back at punter - who works out with former Titans punter and current Titans punter this offseason. They've both said he has NFL potential. Oregon State transfer PK is back, also, who was mediocre stat-wise with FG's, but has a cannon for a leg. Some say the states (TN) best PK signed with TTU this year as well.
50 players this year will be seniors and juniors, so this is an experienced team and I can't help but be excited.

My predictions (not worth much, I admit) are as follows:
1. Jacksonville State - Loaded. FBS transfers make them tougher...
2. TTU - I know, I know, I'm a 'homer'....
3. EKU - it's EKU, and they return a lot (I think), always very talented
4. Murray St. - I can see them anywhere between 1st and 4th, definitely not worse
5. SEMO - They came out of nowhere last year but, lose a ton - I can't see them winning it again with all the loses.
6. UTM - I don't know much about their team this year...
7. EIU - surprised at what happened to them last year - I really have no idea about this year
8. TSU - waste of talent every year. One of the worst AD's ever - terrible hire after terrible hire - no excuse for this school to not dominate the OVC every year
9. APSU - who cares?

Captain
July 2nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
UT Martin finished 5-3 in the OVC last year and I think they will be able to match that record this year. The Skyhawks return nearly all of their offensive unit this year. I believe Derek Carr can be one the top QB's in the OVC this year. He threw a lot of interceptions in his first few games of college action last year, but settled down and had a decent season last year. (2,543 Yds 13 td and 12 int) The one concern I have is the schedule. Road games at Jax State, EIU, EKU will all be very difficult to win.

Ten years ago when I was in school at Martin we were right in the middle of a 43 game OVC losing streak. We were playing home and homes with division 2 schools and losing them. We also on the verge of dropping the program completely. I know we are no powerhouse now but a lot people are working really hard to back up that 2006 OVC championship with another.

With that being said, I'm so proud that UT Martin is a part of the OVC and the FCS football communities. FCS football is a wonderful product and I hope that it thrives in the future.

TTUEagles
July 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
UT Martin finished 5-3 in the OVC last year and I think they will be able to match that record this year. The Skyhawks return nearly all of their offensive unit this year. I believe Derek Carr can be one the top QB's in the OVC this year. He threw a lot of interceptions in his first few games of college action last year, but settled down and had a decent season last year. (2,543 Yds 13 td and 12 int) The one concern I have is the schedule. Road games at Jax State, EIU, EKU will all be very difficult to win.

Ten years ago when I was in school at Martin we were right in the middle of a 43 game OVC losing streak. We were playing home and homes with division 2 schools and losing them. We also on the verge of dropping the program completely. I know we are no powerhouse now but a lot people are working really hard to back up that 2006 OVC championship with another.

With that being said, I'm so proud that UT Martin is a part of the OVC and the FCS football communities. FCS football is a wonderful product and I hope that it thrives in the future.

I will say that is has been very impressive - the turnaround at UTM. I hope no one takes offense to this, but 7-15 years ago, UTM was absolutely horrible...facilities atrocious, etc. I may be WAY off base here but, to me, when they overhauled the facilities, added the football facility in the weight room, etc., that was a major part of the reclamation of UTM football. I think that helped to get a lot better talent in there and brought them up to a competitive level in the OVC.
Most of the people I call friends today are UTM grads, and they can't ever remember attending a game, UTM winning a game, etc...and that hurt how they view their football program and most couldn't even tell you how they do each week, unless of course, they beat TTU; then, I catch all kinds of hell.

Redbirdz
July 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Jacksonville State is loaded and should be more than a handful for anyone in the OVC.

msupigskin
July 2nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
This is the most anticipation for Murray State football in nearly a decade (the Houston Nutt years). It was midway through the last season before Chris Hatcher found the right starting mix and the players to start understanding the system. When it clicked, the offense was among the nation’s best. More of the same is expected in 2011.

Nearly every starter returns on the offense. Pre-season All-Americans QB Casey Brockman and RB Mike Harris power the offense with returning RB Duane Brady, WRs Arthur Brackett (soph) and Walter Powell (soph). MSU's only significant loss was All-American WR Marcus Harris. Two very talented WRs - Pat Robertson and JaVonta Trotter - are back from academic ineligibility. Racer fans admit that Robertson actually has more upside and tools than Harris. And, Trotter provides a burner on the edge. RB Harris has the tools to play on Sundays and is now training like he understands. A 1,200-1,500 yards effort from Harris, a former Rival Top 100 player. Florida all-state RB Brady (soph) was solid in tandem with and is stronger and faster. Brockman brings solid athletic skills, decision making, strong leadership and a year of experience in Hatcher's system. Weight work has him up to 220 lbs on his 6-2 frame. He tossed for 2,400 yards over 6 starts last year. Averaging 50 passes per game, the junior signal caller (former walk-on) could put up a 3,500/30 season and another 4-500 on the ground. The Racer attack will be as balanced as the Hatch Attack allows.

The defensive retooling has been taking place. The Racers have brought in several JUCO DBs and the overall increased secondary speed is significant. S Brandon Wicks has moved to LB, moving Nathan Brinkley to S, his best spot. All-American CB/KR Dontrell Johnson returns and JUCO LB Sam Small will add immediate help. Lamar Theus anchors the pack of returning DLs.

All-OVC kicker Kienan Cullen is back for his senior campaign.

The schedule favors MSU in a tight three-way OVC race between Jax State, EKU and the Racers. Both the Gamecocks and Colonels travel to Stewart Stadium where the atmosphere is full of confidence and expectation – from the fans to the players themselves. A mammoth off-season remodeling of the football facilities has been a joint manpower effort of the coaching staff and team, another move that has lifted the spirits and chemistry surrounding the Murray State program.

Bottom line – the OVC race is decided on Oct. 1 when the Gamecocks visit Murray State. A shootout like last year’s 40-34 thriller in Alabama, with MSU on top with home advantage. The MSU-EKU game on Oct 29 will also be circled on the calendar when MSU looks to atone for their worst performance of the last half of the year and a loss that may have cost them a spot in the playoffs.

OVC football will have 4-5 solid teams this year and will be as strong as it has been from top to bottom in some time.

OSRacer
July 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Murray will be much improved, but JSU will be loaded again. I do believe that it will come down to MSU-JSU.

My take...

1. MSU
2. JSU
3. EKU
4. UTM
5. SEMO
6. TTU
7. EIU
8. TSU
9. APSU

OSRacer
July 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
....and hopefully the OVC can get that long awaited win in the playoffs....I think this is the year. There are 4 or 5 really good teams in the OVC this year that could win the conference...

Cocky
July 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM
JSU
EKU
SEMO
TTU
EIU
MSU
UTM
TSU
AP

JSU's talent level is too high for even our coaches to screw it up this year.

JaxSinfonian
July 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I had compiled a long post detailing just exactly how loaded the Gamecocks are, stats included, but lost it because I left it overnight and came back to it without saving a draft. I won't repeat all the research I'd done, but here's the short version.

The team is deepest at quarterback and running back. Receivers are solid despite some losses to graduation. OL, as always for JSU, is a question mark. The defense lost some key pieces, but there's some demonstrated talent back at CB, DE & LB. Kicking/punting is OK, not great. There's a talented returner coming back. New DC could help the team break bad old habits.

I hope the team can avoid the last-minute drama of so many games last year, and the late-season meltdown that cost them the title. The schedule's built to have them pretty high in the polls by the Kentucky game if they can win 'em all. Murray's offense last year seems to indicate they'll be a contender this season. EKU could be on the way back. I'm curious to see how SEMO is after last year.

Before we talk about playoff wins, let's see if we can have everybody perform well in their non-conference games. That could help set up the playoff representatives for a more favorable draw in the first round.That'll mean two wins each for the league this year over Chattanooga & Georgia State, a bunch of SWAC teams, a few lesser-division opponents and Illinois State. And of course we can hope for another FBS upset somewhere along the way. Not the best setup for GPI respect, but it's a place to start, at least.

Redhawk2010
July 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM

I won't disagree with your rankings, but isn't this the same statement you all made last year? ;)

Sounds like the OVC All-Conference Quarterback this year is going to be an absolutely STUD. The way it sounds is that nearly every team has that standout QB ;) Hopefully a good year of football ahead for the OVC.

msupigskin
July 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
JaxSin - agree completely with your assessment conference wide. OOC wins are a must. To Cocky - no frickin way Murray State finishes 6th this year. Simply too many offensive weapons not to be in the top 3.

wheatstraw78
July 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
TSU will be much improved this year. We lost 5 games by 7 points or less last year. TTU Eagles, as for your comment about having a waste of talent, it couldn't be the farthest from the truth. I KNOW TSU football and we have not been getting the talent. Coach Reed is beginning to turn it around. We will finish in the top half of the conference.

skeeveu2
July 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
JSU kicking game would be more that just OK if they change the strategy and let Thomas kickoff deep instead of those short placed kicks. Kick coverage should be better with Thurmond now coaching the special teams.

WestCoastAggie
July 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
So does anyone think that the OVC can get two teams back in the playoffs?

I think we can.

eiu1999
July 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM

I think we can.

I can see two if JSU doesn't win the conference, they will probably still go.

msupigskin
July 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I could actually see a tie this year with three teams with 1 OVC loss (MSU, JSU, EKU). That could create a nice scenario for lobbying for 3 teams. JSU and EKU would get bids on program history. MSU would earn their way in with 9-2 overall campaign and Hatcher's reputation nationally (at least everywhere but Statesboro). Gotta be optimistic. Go Racers!

Bam
July 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM
JSU
EKU
SEMO
TTU
EIU
MSU
UTM
TSU
AP

That poll looks good, but I would switch SEMO & Murray. EKU MUST find a RB that will step up this year! New OC in the mix in Richmond.

TTUEagles
July 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Below is an article about TTU's punter but, I post it to show that there's a lot of OVC punters on this list. I know it's just punters but, it's also just July 5th.
http://www.ttusports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/7_5_campbell_watch_list

TTUEagles
July 5th, 2011, 08:20 PM
TSU will be much improved this year. We lost 5 games by 7 points or less last year. TTU Eagles, as for your comment about having a waste of talent, it couldn't be the farthest from the truth. I KNOW TSU football and we have not been getting the talent. Coach Reed is beginning to turn it around. We will finish in the top half of the conference.
I'll admit that I worded my comment about TSU poorly, and for that, I apologize. I have grown up in the Nashville area and have followed TSU for a long time but, outside of some friends involved with the football program late in the '90's/early 2000's, I don't follow the roster that closely. That's all I had heard about some matters with coaches in football and men's basketball. Some of that stuff, admittedly is only from one guy, was apalling...
However, with all of the FCS transfers year in and year out, and NFL draftees/prospects every year, maybe it's a lack of depth that "wastes" the aforementioned talent. All I know is what I've seen on the field and in spots, it's pretty freaking scary how good and how big TSU is at various positions. I tailgated last year next to a very nice group of TSU fans who were not too pleased with the AD and past hires to say the least! Coach Reed does seem to be a good guy from what little I hear of him in the media. I hope he does well (just not against TTU of course!) - again, my apologies, wheatstraw.

wheatstraw78
July 5th, 2011, 08:44 PM
TTU Eagle, no need to apologize, I didn't take it as an insult. I can't wait till the season starts!

Maroons
July 6th, 2011, 01:05 AM

QB Antonio Heffner was quite possibly the single most talented player I saw suit up for an OVC team during my time at EKU and that includes Cortland Finnegan, Ryan Perriloux, and several others. TSU always seemed to have a lot of talent at the skill positions and big lineman, but there never seemed to be a coach there that could put it all together. But that Heffner... he had lineman and linebackers chasing him all over the place and then he would heave these bombs down field...

I don't know enough about any of the teams except what I hear on the surface. I do know that in Richmond there are a lot of questions. Dean Hood has transitioned from being DC & Head Coach to just the Head Coach. We also have a new offensive coordinator in place. Will having Hood responsible for the big picture make the difference? Both of the new coordinators say they aren't looking to overhaul the systems, just build on the foundations. Does that mean a quick fix? Or does it mean the kind of offensive stagnation that has plagued the Colonels for two years?

Who knows. Like everyone else, though, I can't wait to be on the campus of my alma mater again this fall!

Bam
July 6th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Below is an article about TTU's punter but, I post it to show that there's a lot of OVC punters on this list. I know it's just punters but, it's also just July 5th.
http://www.ttusports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/7_5_campbell_watch_list

Speaking of punters on the list. There is EKU's Jordan Berry (Essendon, Victoria, Australia) he played Australian rules football for Aberfeldie football club and Calder Cannons football club.

eiu1999
July 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Berra Named To CFPA Preseason Watch List

CHARLESTON, Ill. – Eastern Illinois sophomore place kicker Cameron Berra was one of the players selected to the preseason watch list by the College Football Performance Awards this week. Berra took over place kicking duties early in the 2010 season and was an effective 8-of-11 on field goal attempts. His long field goal of the season was 43 yards at Tennessee Tech. Berra was 19-of-20 on extra point attempts as he finished the season making 18-straight PAT's. His 43 points on the year led Eastern Illinois while ranking eighth among kickers in the Ohio Valley Conference.

The purpose of the CFPA is to provide the most scientifically rigorous conferments in college football. Recipients are selected exclusively based upon objective scientific rankings of the extent to which individual players increase the overall effectiveness of their teams.

Berra becomes the second EIU player this year to earn a preseason honor from the CFPA. He joins Chris Wright who was named to the preseason wide receivers watch list.

Eastern Illinois opens the 2011 season on Thursday, Sept. 1 against Illinois State. It will make the 100th meeting in the long time in-state rivalry.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/news/2011/6/28/FB_0628110025.aspx

msupigskin
July 6th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Here's who I could find from the OVC named to the 2011 CFPA Watch List so far:

P - Jordan Berry, EKU
P - Nick Campbell, TTU
P - Kienan Cullen, MSU
P - Joe Hook, UTM

DL - Anthony Brown, Eastern Kentucky
LB - Tyson Patrick, Eastern Kentucky
LB - Rodney Garrott, Jacksonville State
LB - Marcus Edwards, Tennessee Tech
DB - Jeremy Caldwell, Eastern Kentucky
DB - Keginald Harris, Jacksonville State
DB - Tylor Brock, Southeast Missouri State

QB - T.J. Pryor, Eastern Kentucky
QB - Marques Ivory, Jacksonville State
QB - Casey Brockman, Murray State
RB - Mike Harris, Murray State
RB - Washaun Ealey, Jacksonville State
WR - Chris Wright, Eastern Illinois
WR - Orlandus Harris, Eastern Kentucky
WR - Tim Benford, Tennessee Tech
WR - Stephen Shiver, UT Martin

Bam
July 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Here's who I could find from the OVC named to the 2011 CFPA Watch List so far:

P - Jordan Berry, EKU
P - Nick Campbell, TTU
P - Kienan Cullen, MSU
P - Joe Hook, UTM

DL - Anthony Brown, Eastern Kentucky
LB - Tyson Patrick, Eastern Kentucky
LB - Rodney Garrott, Jacksonville State
LB - Marcus Edwards, Tennessee Tech
DB - Jeremy Caldwell, Eastern Kentucky
DB - Keginald Harris, Jacksonville State
DB - Tylor Brock, Southeast Missouri State

QB - T.J. Pryor, Eastern Kentucky
QB - Marques Ivory, Jacksonville State
QB - Casey Brockman, Murray State
RB - Mike Harris, Murray State
RB - Washaun Ealey, Jacksonville State
WR - Chris Wright, Eastern Illinois
WR - Orlandus Harris, Eastern Kentucky
WR - Tim Benford, Tennessee Tech
WR - Stephen Shiver, UT Martin

Beware of Tay Tay on the O side of the ball this fall. Rumor has it they will use him in the "Wild Colonel" (sorry had to use it) slot.

ekufbfan
July 8th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I think that EKU's success depends more on coaching than anything else. Hopefully having a head coach that is THE HEAD coach and not the D-coordinator also and finally getting rid of the O-coordinator will be just what we needed to return to the top. There were not many fans of the offense we were (trying) to run the past couple of years, throw the ball at all costs and no running game or ability to punch it in from inside the 20. New offensive guy surely sees the need for a running game!!!!! If not, don't expect much improvement from my favorite team. Road games at Murray and Jax State, make the season tougher. First game of season at Kansas State..ouch!

GO COLONELS

Just a side note for those visiting Richmond this fall, new Arts and Entertainment Center opening in September on campus. Here are a few of the lineups for fall: Wynonna Judd, Aretha Franklin, BB King, Peter Frampton, Willie Nelson, Manheim Steamroller and more.......with a winning fb team things will be fun in Richmond this fall!!

eiu1999
August 30th, 2011, 10:46 AM
http://jg-tc.com/sports/article_f698e450-d2a9-11e0-af76-001cc4c03286.html

alvinkayak6
August 30th, 2011, 11:00 AM
The CFPA Watch List of linebackers includes 32 players expected to shine in 2011.

The CFPA Watch List of punters:
• Chance Wilson, Alabama A&M
• Paul Layton, Albany
• Sam Martin, App State
• Michael Wilson, Butler
• Ted Moore, Campbell
• Cass Couey, Citadel
• Greg Guttas, Columbia
• Daniel Barstein, Dartmouth
• Billy Janssen, Drake
• Jordan Berry, E. Kentucky
• Brandon Holdren, Florida A&M
• Patrick Murray, Fordham
• Charlie Edwards, Ga. Southern
• Jordan Stovall, Hampton
• David Harrington, Idaho State
• David Skahn, JMU
• Jordan Chiles, Missouri State
• Rainer Duzan, Morehead State
• Kienan Cullen, Murray State
• Frankie Cardelle, N.C. A&T
• Brett Cameron, North Dakota
• Drew Zamora, Northern Arizona
• Cameron Kaman, Northern Colorado
• Jonathan Plisco, Old Dominion
• Thomas Duyndam, Portland St.
• Patrick Morgano, Presbyterian
• Joe Cloud, Princeton
• Tim Edger, Rhode Island
• Nick Hicks, Richmond
• Matt Foster, Sam Houston St.
• Cole Zwiefelhofer, South Dakota
• Austin Pucylowski, Southern Illinois
• Drew Nelson, Stephen F. Austin
• Nick Campbell, Tennessee Tech
• Ben Follis, Texas State
• Colton Schmidt, UC-Davis
• Joe Hook, UT-Martin
• Greg Wood, Valparaiso
• Dominic Scarnecchia, Villanova
• Josh Kealamakia, Weber St.
• Blake Cain, Western Carolina
• Nick Liste, Youngstown St.
College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) will release a preseason watch list each week until pre-season. The list of remaining release dates is below. Find out more at: http://collegefootballperformance.com/CFPA_homepage.html

Remaining release Schedule:
2011 Kickoff Returner Award (July 11, 2011)
2011 Punt Returner Award (July 18, 2011)

The Watch List for Linebackers contains 32......and this is for punters? Definitely want to hire an extra editor or get a 3rd eye. :)

alvinkayak6
August 30th, 2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.ovcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=31019&SPID=2441&DB_OEM_ID=6200&ATCLID=205175933
OVC published the Special Teams, as well

OVC Players on CFPA Specialist Lists
K - Stephen Stansell, Austin Peay
K - Cameron Berra, Eastern Illinois
K - Drew Geldbach, Southeast Missouri
K - Cody Sandlin, UT Martin
P - Jordan Berry, Eastern Kentucky
P - Kienan Cullen, Murray State
P - Nick Campbell, Tennessee Tech
P - Joe Hook, UT Martin
KR/PR - Jeremy Caldwell, Eastern Kentucky (both lists)
KR/PR - Alan Bonner, Jacksonville State (both lists)
KR - AJ Williams, UT Martin
PR - Dontrell Johnson, Murray State
PR - Julian Mallory, Tennessee State
PR - CJ Estelle, UT Martin

alvinkayak6
August 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM

gamecocks have a lot of street cred. best bet is if EKU or SEMO wins the conference, so jax gets the at large

Bam
August 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
gamecocks have a lot of street cred. best bet is if EKU or SEMO wins the conference, so jax gets the at large

With EKU's recent injury bug, the outlook is foggy in Richmond.

eiu1999
August 30th, 2011, 12:36 PM
With EKU's recent injury bug, the outlook is foggy in Richmond.

No good backups to get EKU through? I thought I read Pryor was only out for the opener?

alvinkayak6
August 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Is Pryor related to Terrelle Pryor, formerly of Ohio State, and currently of Oakland?

Bam
August 31st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Is Pryor related to Terrelle Pryor, formerly of Ohio State, and currently of Oakland?

No relation. The injury means EKU will start a true freshman xnutsx— either Jared McClain or Travis Carlyle — against the KSU. Coach Hood listed Pryor as “probable” for the home opener Sept. 10 against Missouri State.