PDA

View Full Version : Most famous or infamous moment in I-AA football...

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2006, 07:49 AM
My vote goes to "go for 2"

If you guys have any video of these plays, please provide

MR. CHICKEN
March 15th, 2006, 08:22 AM
HOW 'BOUT DUH TWO HBCU'S....DAT PLAYED LIKE.....7 OVERAH-TIME PERIODS.......(CAN'T REMEMBER DUH SQWADS)......DAT SPURRED DUH NCAA RULE CHANGE.........TA GO FO' TWO....AFTERAH TWO OT's?..............:hurray:..........BRAWK!

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM
HOW 'BOUT DUH TWO HBCU'S....DAT PLAYED LIKE.....7 OVERAH-TIME PERIODS.......(CAN'T REMEMBER DUH SQWADS)......DAT SPURRED DUH NCAA RULE CHANGE.........TA GO FO' TWO....AFTERAH TWO OT's?..............:hurray:..........BRAWK!

I did not know that, thanks for the info

MR. CHICKEN
March 15th, 2006, 10:16 AM
WELCOME LAD........YEAH...DUH GAME ENDED SOMETHIN' LIKE 21-21 OR 28-28...IN REGULATION.....AN' DUH FINAL WAS SOMETHIN' LIKE 65-64...CAN'T REMEBER ALL DUH DETAILS...BUT AH HAPPENED TA CATCH DUH REPLAY THAT SATURDAY NIGHT ON DUH BET!...............BRAWK!

BAIL ME OUT RALPHIE.....WHAT WERE DUH DETAILS?

Marcus Garvey
March 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM
During the '82 Harvard-Yale game, some a black weather baloon, which was setup by MIT students, inflated during the 2nd Qtr. MIT was written on the sides and it inflated until it poped and blew talcum powder all over the field.

blueballs
March 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM
The Run and Son of the Run

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2006, 10:41 AM
During the '82 Harvard-Yale game, some a black weather baloon, which was setup by MIT students, inflated during the 2nd Qtr. MIT was written on the sides and it inflated until it poped and blew talcum powder all over the field.

was it supposed to be a prank? if so, thats a pretty good one

89Hen
March 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Certainly one of my favorites. There are a couple of links to it at the ASU site...

http://www.goasu.com/?page=276&video=0&mSearch=&mSport=&mPage=1

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
The Run and Son of the Run

I'm not familiar with this one, do tell

is this the Peterson run you are referring to?

89Hen
March 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Here's the one the Elis pulled recently...

http://www.harvardsucks.org/

March 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I'm not familiar with this one, do tell
is this the Peterson run you are referring to?http://i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=594

March 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM
A couple recent ones...

40-0 UD national champ game win

the Super Safety CCU pulled last year end game

SHSU's TD pass to win over EWU in the 2004 playoffs

89Hen
March 15th, 2006, 11:20 AM
http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/books/ihtfp_leibowitz/ihtfp-back.gif

HiHiYikas
March 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
have an 'after' photo, 89Hen?

March 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM
2004 Champ game field unravel

grizband
March 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM
2002 MSU finally ends "The Streak"
Montana's 24 game win streak from 2001-2002.

blur2005
March 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM
You can always count on tech shools like MIT and Cal Tech for some great pranks.

CoastalFan2005
March 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
"Take a Knee" - Texas State last year.

And yes, of course, "super safety," I know.

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Wasn't there another prank along those lines about a group of students handing out cards to the opposing team (also the home team) that on the side they were supposed to hold up was actually about another team?

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Sorry it makes no sense but I hope someone understood it.

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Top of the list. The "knee" isn't far behind.

WYOBISONMAN
March 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
How about D2 NDSU going to Missoula and ruining the dedication of the remodeld Washington Grizzly Stadium......:smiley_wi :D :smiley_wi

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2003/football/NDSU/normal_9-6-03-074.jpg

Panther88
March 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
1. Prairie View's dismal 80 game losing streak. : smh :

Damn. :(

2. ESPN breaking coverage to show the record-setting STOP of a 2 pt try w/ seconds left that ended the PVAMU losing streak. :D

grizband
March 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM
1. Prairie View's dismal 80 game losing streak. : smh :

Damn. :(

2. ESPN breaking coverage to show the record-setting STOP of a 2 pt try w/ seconds left that ended the PVAMU losing streak. :D
I remember them showing that on ESPN. I don't remember what they were covering at the time, but they went to the highlight of that game.

Panther88
March 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I remember them showing that on ESPN. I don't remember what they were covering at the time, but they went to the highlight of that game.

I had a bud over (JSU grad) and we were watching (think it was florida st/??????) and they INSTANTLY broke coverage like it was a state of emergency or something. xlolx

I damn near jumped through the 2nd story window after the refs took minutes to decide if the 2pt try was good. :nod:

From that point on, we were primed to start our SLOW but deliberate climb back to respectability.

HiHiYikas
March 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Wasn't there another prank along those lines about a group of students handing out cards to the opposing team (also the home team) that on the side they were supposed to hold up was actually about another team?
if you mean the "WE SUCK" sign crowd stunt, I have heard of that myself. I remember hearing it happened between two Ivy league teams.

FYI - I posted "Go for 2" video in another thread ealier today

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Coach Eddie Robinson breaking the all-time victory record.

DemiGS
March 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM

I understood you...it was a classic prank. Here is your link:
Harvard Sucks (http://www.harvardsucks.org)

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 04:59 PM
That's the one. Maybe the greatest prank of all time!

Panther88
March 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Coach Eddie Robinson breaking the all-time victory record.

Guess who that was against? : smh :

Damn, PV. :bawling: *clutching chest*

Maverick
March 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM
The two Harvard-Yale game pranks were actually copies of something already done by CalTech. CalTech did the balloon in the field prank during a Pac 10 game (I want to say it was Cal and Stanford.) The card trick that CalTech did was at the '61 Rosebowl when they substituted cards that the Washington cheerleaders were using. The first part was when the cards were to spell Huskies were displayed, they read seiksuH. The next part the cards spelled out CalTech instead of Washington.

CalTech has also hacked into the Rosebowl scoreboard to put up a fake scored of the CalTech football team destroying MIT.

SochorField
March 15th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I-AA transitional UC Davis scoring the winning TD with 8 seconds left vs. Stanford?

Check out the highlight video!

http://www.ucdavis.edu/spotlight/0905/ags_stun_stanford.html

March 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM
The two Harvard-Yale game pranks were actually copies of something already done by CalTech...Link?

blukeys
March 15th, 2006, 07:13 PM

I think you are referring to Yale Students dressing up as the "Harvard Pep Squad" and handing out cards that spelled "HARVARD S*CKS" to the Harvard crowd.. One can find this on the Internet. By the way the cards could say "We S*ck" instead. I have seen it and it is funny and one of the best pranks of all time. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

blackfordpu
March 15th, 2006, 08:10 PM
A couple recent ones...

40-0 UD national champ game win

the Super Safety CCU pulled last year end game

SHSU's TD pass to win over EWU in the 2004 playoffs

Its nice to see you giving some props to the Kats ralph. Though few and far between, we still appreciate it. :)

"The Knee" last year by Baliff and Tx St. that cost them the semi final game against UNI.

March 16th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Its nice to see you giving some props to the Kats ralph. Though few and far between, we still appreciate it. :)

"The Knee" last year by Baliff and Tx St. that cost them the semi final game against UNI.No prob, the heart can barely take that type of finish...

Still, the knee didn't cost TXST that game, the interception did.

March 16th, 2006, 02:49 AM
The Eagles drove 66 yards to take a 34-14 lead on a 9-yard run by Washington with 14:54 to play in the game.

The Bearkats then scored the final three times they had the ball in the fourth quarter on drives of 70, 83 and 75 yards. Eastern punted and missed a field goal on its final two possessions.

00:00 SHSU - Mathenia, Jason 7 yd pass from Long, Dustin (Garner, Lance kick)
8 plays, 75 yards, TOP 0:43, SHSU 35 - EWU 34

Time expired, last play of the quarterfinal playoff game...

Wow. Thanks for letting me relive that comeback!

Bobcat94
March 16th, 2006, 09:40 AM
1994: TxSt lost to YSU in the last 30 seconds

2004: The field in Chatty for the NC game
SHSU's run was fun to watch

2005: and every year, for the last regular season game

TxSt vs. GSU
The 76 yard run to start the game......
Coming back from a 35 - 16 deficit.....
526 yards of total offense by one man.....
Helped end a coaching era at GSU.......

TxSt vs. UNI
Coming back from 14-0....
The stiff arm that Nealy put on a DB from UNI after catching one on the sideline......
Taking the lead with less than five minutes....
The two point conversion by UNI....still don't know how that got through......
The knee....
The interception.....

HensRock
March 16th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I think you are referring to Yale Students dressing up as the "Harvard Pep Squad" and handing out cards that spelled "HARVARD S*CKS" to the Harvard crowd.. One can find this on the Internet. By the way the cards could say "We S*ck" instead. I have seen it and it is funny and one of the best pranks of all time. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MIT students once dressed up as the Harvard Marching Band and actually managed to take the field for a halftime performance before anyone caught on.

MR. CHICKEN
March 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM

DUH CHICKEN PUT ON HIS BEST JAMES ROCKFORD.....TA FIND:......DAT IN 1996....FLORIDA A&M...DEFEATED...HAMPTON 59-58....IN 6 0T PERIODS....MARKING THE THIRD & LAST TIME....UH I-AA GAME WENT TA 6 OT's (COULDN'T FIND DUH OTHERAH PARTICIPANTS).......DIS CONTEST AH BELIEVE....GOT DUH NCAA TA ALTER DUH OT RULE......MUST GO FO' 2 EVERAH TIME.......AFTERAH DUH FIRST 2 OT PERIODS..........HOWEVERAH.......IN 2003......D-IA (SORRY RALPHSTER)......ARKANSAS... DEFEATED... 'OLE MISS......58-56....IN 7 OT's......DAT RIGHT....SEVEN OT's....USIN' DUH NEW RULE........HENCE...DUH LONGEST COLLEGE GAME EVERAH PLAYED!........BUK!...BUK!...BUK!...BRRAAAWWWWKKKK K!:hurray::hyped::hurray:

DUH MISSIN' LINK:
olemisssports.com/sports/m-football/recaps/110301aaa.html

MACHIAVELLI
March 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Infamous:
A Texas Southern player came off the sidelines and stopped one of our players from returning a punt for a TD.

Famous:

Watching Bruce "Almighty" Eugene pass Willie Tottens career TD record and watch Willie witness it to.
Watching Grambling defeat a Steve McNair led Alcorn Brave team in a high scoring affair in 1994.
Watching Coach Eddie Robinson break the all-time victory record
Watching Coach Rob, coach is final game of his career.
Watching Trumaine Johnson play

AppGuy04
March 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Infamous:
A Texas Southern player came off the sidelines and stopped one of our players from returning a punt for a TD.

how did they react to this, what was the penalty/punishment?

kats89
March 16th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Infamous moments...

SHSU's vs SFA's brawl after the game in 2004. We lost 8 players due to suspension from the fight.

One of funniest moments I remember was back in, I think it was '85 or '86, Lamar University was visiting and their head coach Ray Alborn was retiring at the end of the season. After SHSU put a whipping on them, a student (aka mysterious fan) that was painted up in orange and white, ran onto the field and gave the retiring coach a black rose. Needless to say a fight ensued on the field and the student got away.xlolx

Famous....

2004.....SHSU win over E. Washington (by far one of the most incredible comebacks I have ever seen).
2004.....Butt whippin' we put on then #1 ranked Montana in Huntsville. Of course, we know what happened in the playoffs later on.

2001.....SHSU drives the field with under a minute to go and wins on a FG with no time left over Northern Arizona.

blackfordpu
March 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Infamous moments...

SHSU's vs SFA's brawl after the game in 2004. We lost 8 players due to suspension from the fight.

One of funniest moments I remember was back in, I think it was '85 or '86, Lamar University was visiting and their head coach Ray Alborn was retiring at the end of the season. After SHSU put a whipping on them, a student (aka mysterious fan) that was painted up in orange and white, ran onto the field and gave the retiring coach a black rose. Needless to say a fight ensued on the field and the student got away.xlolx

Famous....

2004.....SHSU win over E. Washington (by far one of the most incredible comebacks I have ever seen).
2004.....Butt whippin' we put on then #1 ranked Montana in Huntsville. Of course, we know what happened in the playoffs later on.

2001.....SHSU drives the field with under a minute to go and wins on a FG with no time left over Northern Arizona.

Did that fan happen to be named kats89?:)

blackfordpu
March 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM
No prob, the heart can barely take that type of finish...

Still, the knee didn't cost TXST that game, the interception did.

Very true!:nod: xlolx :rotateh:

pete4256
March 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM
As far as infamous moments, my vote goes to the 2002 brawl between WKU and WIU involving a sledgehammer. Anybody remember the details of that?

blukeys
March 16th, 2006, 05:55 PM
DUH CHICKEN PUT ON HIS BEST JAMES ROCKFORD.....TA FIND:......DAT IN 1996....FLORIDA A&M...DEFEATED...HAMPTON 59-58....IN 6 0T PERIODS....MARKING THE THIRD & LAST TIME....UH I-AA GAME WENT TA 6 OT's (COULDN'T FIND DUH OTHERAH PARTICIPANTS).......DIS CONTEST AH BELIEVE....GOT DUH NCAA TA ALTER DUH OT RULE......MUST GO FO' 2 EVERAH TIME.......AFTERAH DUH FIRST 2 OT PERIODS..........HOWEVERAH.......IN 2003......D-IA (SORRY RALPHSTER)......ARKANSAS... DEFEATED... 'OLE MISS......58-56....IN 7 OT's......DAT RIGHT....SEVEN OT's....USIN' DUH NEW RULE........HENCE...DUH LONGEST COLLEGE GAME EVERAH PLAYED!........BUK!...BUK!...BUK!...BRRAAAWWWWKKKK K!:hurray::hyped::hurray:

DUH MISSIN' LINK:
olemisssports.com/sports/m-football/recaps/110301aaa.html

Translation
In 1996 Florida A&M defeated Hampton 59-58 in 6 overtimes. After this the NCAA changed the rule and required teams to go for two points after a touchdown after 2 overtime periods.

In 2003 U Miss. beat Arkansas in 7 overtime periods in the longest game ever.

I hope this is clear to everyone. It has taken me 3 years to learn how to translate Mr. Chicken BRAAAAAAAAWK.!!!!!!!!

The Gadfly
March 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Super Safety...no contest xcoffeex

blackfordpu
March 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Super Safety...no contest xcoffeex

What exactly was this?:confused:

Mr. C
March 16th, 2006, 09:31 PM
How about Ingle Martin's slip on his bootleg in the 2005 semifinals with nothing but the end zone in front of him? Mountain fans are saying the "ghost" of Matt Stevens tackled him.

Or this one from Johnson Hagood Stadium. The Citadel returns a kick for a touchdown to go ahead of Marshall in the final minutes. The ensuing Bulldog kickoff goes into the end zone for a touchback. Marshall is facing a fourth and one at the 29. All-American Chris Parker is stopped clearly short of the 30-yard line, but inexplicably, the referee calls for a measurement and signals first down Marshall. Marshall drives for the winning score and after the season, SoCon and Citadel officials measure the field and find that the Johnson-Hagood Stadium markings are wrong.

You can't talk about infamous without mentioning the sledgehammer incident during the Western Kentucky-Western Illinois quarterfinal game in 2002.

CoastalFan2005
March 16th, 2006, 10:49 PM
What exactly was this?:confused:

CCU's "Super Safety" vs. Charleston Southern University

WR Jerome Simpson lined up on 4th Down as the punter on a play designed to be a fake punt as well as a play where Simpson would simply scramble around to waste time, and then take a safety. Simpson stepped out of bounds at the 4yd. line with something like 4 seconds left on the clock. This gave CSU enough time to score a TD and send the game into overtime. CCU lost the game (and the playoffs) in the second overtime.

Check http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/colleges/coastal_carolina_university/13216276.htm for more.

:(

March 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM
...after the season, SoCon and Citadel officials measure the field and find that the Johnson-Hagood Stadium markings are wrong...:doh:

March 16th, 2006, 10:53 PM

WR Jerome Simpson lined up on 4th Down as the punter on a play designed to be a fake punt as well as a play where Simpson would simply scramble around to waste time, and then take a safety. Simpson stepped out of bounds at the 4yd. line with something like 4 seconds left on the clock. This gave CSU enough time to score a TD and send the game into overtime. CCU lost the game (and the playoffs) in the second overtime.Playoff Committee chair Roachel Laney says on I-AA WAVES that if CCU wins that game they would be in the playoffs (for the first time and give the Big South Conference their first playoff team)... :bang:

CoastalFan2005
March 16th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Playoff Committee chair Roachel Laney says on I-AA WAVES that if CCU wins that game they would be in the playoffs (for the first time and give the Big South Conference their first playoff team)... :bang:

LoL, Ralph, you just had to remind me, eh? :p

March 17th, 2006, 12:08 AM
No offense, just informative... I did add the :bang:

kats89
March 17th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Did that fan happen to be named kats89?:)

Nope it was not me, but Kats86 knows the guy that did it. It was one of his good friends.

MR. CHICKEN
March 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM
How about Ingle Martin's slip on his bootleg in the 2005 semifinals with nothing but the end zone in front of him? Mountain fans are saying the "ghost" of Matt Stevens tackled him.

Or this one from Johnson Hagood Stadium. The Citadel returns a kick for a touchdown to go ahead of Marshall in the final minutes. The ensuing Bulldog kickoff goes into the end zone for a touchback. Marshall is facing a fourth and one at the 29. All-American Chris Parker is stopped clearly short of the 30-yard line, but inexplicably, the referee calls for a measurement and signals first down Marshall. Marshall drives for the winning score and after the season, SoCon and Citadel officials measure the field and find that the Johnson-Hagood Stadium markings are wrong.

You can't talk about infamous without mentioning the sledgehammer incident during the Western Kentucky-Western Illinois quarterfinal game in 2002.

MAYBEAH..OL' INGLE....WAS DROPPED BY UH EARFF-WORM!.....:(.....AWK!

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Translation
In 1996 Florida A&M defeated Hampton 59-58 in 6 overtimes. After this the NCAA changed the rule and required teams to go for two points after a touchdown after 2 overtime periods.

In 2003 U Miss. beat Arkansas in 7 overtime periods in the longest game ever.

I hope this is clear to everyone. It has taken me 3 years to learn how to translate Mr. Chicken BRAAAAAAAAWK.!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much! Makes my head hurt to read that!

Mr. Tiger
March 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM
This is one that broke my heart. :bawling: Jackson State was playing Arkansas State in the Division I-AA playoffs in 1987. It looked like JSU would finally win a playoff game. Up by 3 points late in the back-and-forth battle in Jackson, Mississippi, Arkansas State was driving down the field into Jackson State territory. Jackson State's defense just need one more stop but Arkansas State had a trick up its sleeve. The Indians snapped the ball and it seemed to disappear. The fans were wondering what happened to it. Jackson State's players were wondering where it went. Then, all of a sudden an Arkansas State running back is headed for the end zone for the game-winning TD. I had to ask my father beside me what happened and after he stopped :bang: then I found out. Arkansas State's center snapped the ball and left it on the ground. The QB rolled out like he was about to pass the ball with his hand behind his back and a running back calmly picks up the ball and bolts for the TD while Jackson State chases the QB. The old fumble-rooksie play worked to perfection. :nonono2: FINAL SCORE: Arkansas State 35, Jackson State 32.

blackfordpu
March 17th, 2006, 06:47 PM

WR Jerome Simpson lined up on 4th Down as the punter on a play designed to be a fake punt as well as a play where Simpson would simply scramble around to waste time, and then take a safety. Simpson stepped out of bounds at the 4yd. line with something like 4 seconds left on the clock. This gave CSU enough time to score a TD and send the game into overtime. CCU lost the game (and the playoffs) in the second overtime.

Check http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/colleges/coastal_carolina_university/13216276.htm for more.

:(

Why in the world did they go for two with 20 seconds left?

March 17th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Why in the world did they go for two with 20 seconds left?:confused: :confused: :confused: :eyebrow:

R.A.
March 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM
An infamous Momment:
FAMU vs. Howard 2004 "The Kick"
-It was Howard's homecoming and FAMU a "1-A" school was primed to kick the game winner. Now... FAMU fans say the kicker made it and the refs blew it, Howard fans say it was a miss. The ref called it a miss, Howard wins 17-16.
-That just added to the bitter feud our two schools have.

blueballs
March 19th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I forgot another one that will surely make the Furman folks cringe (not to pile on by any means) but "The Catch" was a defining play in the history of this division because it capped one of the greatest- if not the greatest-comebacks in title game history and arguably started a dynasty.

Now in the interest of equal time toward the FU folks, and perhaps because I'm in a good mood after just coming back from church... Raymond Gross' fumble in the '88 NC game MOL gift wrapped FU's only title, and at the same time kept GSU from winning 3 straight NC's.

mtgriz34
March 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM
2002 MSU finally ends "The Streak"
Montana's 24 game win streak from 2001-2002.

Didn't Eastern Washington end the streak in Spokane.

DuckDuckGriz
March 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Didn't Eastern Washington end the streak in Spokane.

I think he meant two different streaks -- I-AA record tying winning streak (24) which was broken at Eastern Washington in 2002, and then the 16 year winning streak over Montana State that was broken in Missoula the weekend after.

App_State_Guy
March 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Well, if we are gonna talk about infamous moments... Georgia Southern's bus at the prong end of a certain team's field goal post comes to mind. (Seems no one remembers about our campus being vandalized and toilet papered the night before the game, however.)

March 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM
...Seems no one remembers about our campus being vandalized and toilet papered the night before the game, however...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :nono:

grizband
March 19th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I think he meant two different streaks -- I-AA record tying winning streak (24) which was broken at Eastern Washington in 2002, and then the 16 year winning streak over Montana State that was broken in Missoula the weekend after.
That is what I was referring too. EWU ended our consecutive win streak, but MSU ended "The Streak."

March 19th, 2006, 09:29 PM
That is what I was referring too. EWU ended our consecutive win streak, but MSU ended "The Streak."Nationally I-AA.org ran the head banner on the consecutive win streak... sorry Montanans... that was more important record-wise than a rivalry streak.

blueballs
March 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Well, if we are gonna talk about infamous moments... Georgia Southern's bus at the prong end of a certain team's field goal post comes to mind. (Seems no one remembers about our campus being vandalized and toilet papered the night before the game, however.)

The reason nobody remembers the vandalism the night before is because, like the bus incident, the perpetrators were ASU folks.

Zim262
March 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Don't know if this has been posted yet but the 2006 ASU football marketing campaign slogan is "Go For Two". Don't know if it was an intentional double entendre or not. xlolx

OL FU
March 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Don't know if this has been posted yet but the 2006 ASU football marketing campaign slogan is "Go For Two". Don't know if it was an intentional double entendre or not. xlolx

:rolleyes: Gimme a break:rolleyes: :D

Kill'em
March 20th, 2006, 10:57 AM
It is still funny.

OL FU
March 20th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I forgot another one that will surely make the Furman folks cringe (not to pile on by any means) but "The Catch" was a defining play in the history of this division because it capped one of the greatest- if not the greatest-comebacks in title game history and arguably started a dynasty.

Now in the interest of equal time toward the FU folks, and perhaps because I'm in a good mood after just coming back from church... Raymond Gross' fumble in the '88 NC game MOL gift wrapped FU's only title, and at the same time kept GSU from winning 3 straight NC's.

Re: the first paragraph - while it was a great climax or anti-climax depending on your point of view. the entire second half was an awesome show. I can't remember watching a half of football (other than this one) that can be described as 11 people trying to tackle one guy. Not saying it was a one man show, but Ham constantly was pressured, scrambled out of it and either passed or ran for yardage. I forget the stats ( I am sure you can remind me) but this is a guy that averaged like 4 passes a game and then passed for like 4000 yards in the second half.

On the second paragraph, the fumbled helped doom Ga Sou. But it was a different game. Once again, I can't remember the stats but my recollection is that FU dominated except for the score.

If I had to pick one of these event, and I would not want to, I would pick Ham's performance in the second half. You guys did not call it the Hambone for nuttin'.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 21st, 2006, 11:28 AM
It's hard to beat the "go for two" of the ASU-FU '02 game....that ranks as one of the most amazing plays in ALL of football in my opinion. That was just AMAZING. (Also, it was hilarious to hear our students that year in Paladin Stadium chanting 'GO FOR TWO' over and over after Bobby Lamb scored, haha)

Runner up would have to be GSU's Adrian Peterson famous run in the '99 NC.8

Of course, I don't know anything about this "super safety". Someone tell me about it.

[EDIT] For those of you who do not know the story, FU is trailing 14-9 in the fourth quarter and has a perfectly timed drive that would leave little time for ASU to come back but would still not require them to hurry. Furman Coach Bobby Lamb decides to go for two (because a two-point lead has no realistic advantage over a one-point lead but a three point lead does have a realistic advantage over a one or two point lead). On the 2PC, Furman's quarterback throws a pass, an ASU guy intercepts it, laterals it to another player, who runs all the way back to the Furman end zone to give them two points and put them up 16-15. Then Furman tries for an onside kickoff, fails, and ASU runs out the clock in one play.

HiHiYikas
March 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM
It's hard to beat the "go for two" of the ASU-FU '02 game....
The play has its own page in our media guide...
http://goasu.com/autoimage/pImqjlM.pdf

(it's page 166)

CSU BUCS
March 21st, 2006, 06:55 PM
The Simpson play at the 3
AKA CCU's "SUPPER SAFTY"

ASU Kep
March 22nd, 2006, 01:06 AM
What's the "sledgehammer incident" all about?

March 22nd, 2006, 02:22 AM
What's the "sledgehammer incident" all about?http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=41668

I think a player grabbed a sledgehammer and tried to clock another player on the field after the game...

Gateway blood and guts you know...

MR. CHICKEN
March 22nd, 2006, 05:52 AM
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=41668

I think a player grabbed a sledgehammer and tried to clock another player on the field after the game...

Gateway blood and guts you know...

TRIED TA RING HIS BELL...SORTA SPEAK!....:eek:....AWK!

DAT GATEWAY.....IS ONE TOUGH....HOMBRE!.....:flagged:....SQWAK!

DotCat
March 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Furman @ WCU 2003
...know as the "Jump Down, Turn Around, Pick A Bail of Cotton" epsiode. WCU blew all their timeouts on third down and still didn't get the first down.

...from the same game, there was this awesome WCU defensive hit on FU, I still see that guy spinning through the air, ouch.

AppState @ WCU 2004
...The mountaineers had the game won and instead of holding onto the ball, Williams attempted several passes to Fowlkes so he could set a record or two, instead it was incomplete, then a fumble, and one of the greatest comebacks in WCU history as the Catamounts reclaimed the "Old Mountain Jug".

March 23rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
More on the sledgehammer...
Coulson... http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=48478
Moss... http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/moss_archive/3rdandlong_121102.htm
WIU School paper... http://www.westerncourier.com/news/2005/10/21/Sports/How-The.West.Was.Won-1029516.shtml