PDA

View Full Version : The Final Showdown: ND vs NCAA

darell1976
June 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/325246/

Date: July 25th
Place: Indianapolis, IN

Gov. Jack Dalrymple will lead a North Dakota delegation July 25 to Indianapolis to meet with leaders of the NCAA, hoping to persuade the athletics association to alter its stance regarding the University of North Dakota and the Fighting Sioux nickname.

The group also will include Senate Majority Leader Bob Stenehjem, R-Bismarck, UND President Robert Kelley and Athletic Director Brian Faison, North Dakota University System Chancellor William Goetz and Jody Hodgson, general manager of the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

And leading the charge.....AL CARLSON!!!!! xpopcornx (Anyone wanna see a comedy.)

Remember these dates: July 25th-NCAA meeting; August 1st- ND state law on Sioux name starts; August 15th-UND goes back on the H&A list (unless they agree to retire the name and recend the state law). Sept. 1st- UND vs Drake, July 1, 2012- UND becomes members of the Big Sky, and becomes playoff eligible.

HighCountry
June 30th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Good luck to ND! This may have been brought up in another thread but how is this any different than the Seminoles at FSU? Is it simply the 'fighting' that comes before Sioux?

darell1976
June 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Good luck to ND! This may have been brought up in another thread but how is this any different than the Seminoles at FSU? Is it simply the 'fighting' that comes before Sioux?

Because FSU got permission from 1 Seminole tribe in Florida. UND got permission by the Spirit Lake Sioux tribe but by the lawsuit settlement UND needed 2 tribes to approve the name (the only school that needed 2 tribes to approve this.). Its all political and when its all said and done the Fighting Sioux will be no more. And no its not the "Fighting" it has to do with "Sioux", because its a name of a tribe, thats why W&M can be the Tribe, its not specific to 1 tribe like Sioux, Chippewas, Utes, Seminoles.

Twentysix
June 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/325246/

Date: July 25th
Place: Indianapolis, IN

And leading the charge.....AL CARLSON!!!!! xpopcornx (Anyone wanna see a comedy.)

Remember these dates: July 25th-NCAA meeting; August 1st- ND state law on Sioux name starts; August 15th-UND goes back on the H&A list (unless they agree to retire the name and recend the state law). Sept. 1st- UND vs Drake, July 1, 2012- UND becomes members of the Big Sky, and becomes playoff eligible.

This is probably the 3rd time I've heard the name of our governor.

darell1976
June 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM
This is probably the 3rd time I've heard the name of our governor.

And if he still tells UND to keep the name despite what others including the NCAA want it will be the last time we hear it.

Twentysix
June 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM
And if he still tells UND to keep the name despite what others including the NCAA want it will be the last time we hear it.

I think most people are in my boat. We are basiclly governor less at this time. It went from Hoven to no one.

I highly doubt he is re-elected since he doesnt have name recognition. Maybe he thinks he can fight the NCAA and win some recognition in the papers... I really doubt it will work.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Couldn't this thread be renamed "The Issue That We'd All Wish Would Just Please Go Away: ND vs. NCAA"? xlolx

RabidRabbit
June 30th, 2011, 04:04 PM
No matter what, the indian head will remain as long as the Ralph does. Hope the ND leaders come back with a clear path to get UND off the gunsight of the NCAA double barrel.

citdog
June 30th, 2011, 04:04 PM
In honor of the UND FIGHTING SIOUX who are fighting the same battle with the same people that the GREAT AND SOVEREIGN STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

darell1976
June 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I think most people are in my boat. We are basiclly governor less at this time. It went from Hoven to no one.

I highly doubt he is re-elected since he doesnt have name recognition. Maybe he thinks he can fight the NCAA and win some recognition in the papers... I really doubt it will work.

Hoeven turned this state around and got us a good surplus and was well liked (Democrated in congress but Republican Gov). Even in the eyes of the NCAA this guy has no shot at changing their minds. IMO this meeting is worthless. The only question among Sioux fans is why is Jody Hodgson there? Is it to discuss how many logos can stay at the REA, and for those that don't know. The REA is NOT a UND building but a privately owned building. The REA rents the building to UND for $1 a day.

darell1976
June 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM
In honor of the UND FIGHTING SIOUX who are fighting the same battle with the same people that the GREAT AND SOVEREIGN STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lgwu--f1mQ&feature=related

I like this one.

TheBisonator
June 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hoeven turned this state around and got us a good surplus and was well liked (Democrated in congress but Republican Gov). Even in the eyes of the NCAA this guy has no shot at changing their minds. IMO this meeting is worthless. The only question among Sioux fans is why is Jody Hodgson there? Is it to discuss how many logos can stay at the REA, and for those that don't know. The REA is NOT a UND building but a privately owned building. The REA rents the building to UND for $1 a day.

Plus, no Sioux tribal representatives at that meeting. For shame...

darell1976
June 30th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Plus, no Sioux tribal representatives at that meeting. For shame...

Exactly.

Twentysix
June 30th, 2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lgwu--f1mQ&feature=related

I like this one.

Im partial to this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6zyoPuopk :P

darell1976
June 30th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Im partial to this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6zyoPuopk :P

I will give you that one.xbowx

TheBisonator
June 30th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I will give you that one.xbowx

Best game intro in college football, IMO (Next to Virginia Tech's)

darell1976
June 30th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Best game intro in college football, IMO (Next to Virginia Tech's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h1EW5z1wdc

This one really rocks!!!!

Twentysix
June 30th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah VT owns. Their jerseys are suspect...but the intro is amazing.

bisonguy
June 30th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Well, looks like the Big Gun at the showdown will be shooting blanks- http://plainsdaily.com/entry/dalrymple-set-to-listen-not-to-lead-at-fighting-sioux-ncaa-july-meeting/

BISMARCK, ND – Governor Dalrymple is planning to sit back and listen while letting Representative Al Carlson make the case for keeping the Fighting Sioux nickname at UND to the NCAA at next month’s scheduled meeting.................

DJKyR0
July 1st, 2011, 12:21 AM
Meanwhile my parents are dealing with floodwater damage to their house in Bismarck. Minot is half underwater. So glad our state has its priorities straight.

Twentysix
July 1st, 2011, 01:16 AM
Meanwhile my parents are dealing with floodwater damage to their house in Bismarck. Minot is half underwater. So glad our state has its priorities straight.

Blame imperial grand forks county. (its almost like blaming canada!)

darell1976
July 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
Blame imperial grand forks county. (its almost like blaming canada!)

You mean blame Cass County. It was the GF reps that voted against Al's bill.

DJKyR0
July 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
You mean blame Cass County. It was the GF reps that voted against Al's bill.

http://plainsdaily.com/entry/und_hockey_coach_hakstol_pleads_to_keep_the_fighti ng_sioux_nickname/

darell1976
July 1st, 2011, 09:56 AM
http://plainsdaily.com/entry/und_hockey_coach_hakstol_pleads_to_keep_the_fighti ng_sioux_nickname/

GF County Reps voted 5-5
Cass County Reps voted 11-7

GF County Senators voted 1 yes and 4 NO
Cass County Senators voted 6 yes 2 no and 1 absent

I would say Al's buddies in the county voted with him while GF cared more about the school than the name.

Wildcat80
July 1st, 2011, 10:48 AM
uhhh...there is ONLY one real "ND" in college football......NOTRE DAME!!!!!! NDSU is okay for you.

darell1976
July 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
uhhh...there is ONLY one real "ND" in college football......NOTRE DAME!!!!!! NDSU is okay for you.

ND is our state abbreviation. If it was the Univ. of North Dakota it would have been titled UND vs the NCAA. But this is the state of ND against the NCAA.

Jacked_Rabbit
July 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM

What do you mean "NDSU is okay for you"? You do realize that UND and NDSU are two different universities, correct?

DJKyR0
July 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
I would say Al's buddies in the county voted with him while GF cared more about the school than the name.

And what'd your hockey coach care about when pimping Carlson's brilliant scheme?

darell1976
July 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM
And what'd your hockey coach care about when pimping Carlson's brilliant scheme?

Hakstol is a former Sioux alum and his hockey team is the most affected by the name/logo. No other sports team shows the logo more than hockey. So I can't blame the guy for trying to save the name and logo for his Alma Mater. Now question is what is really Al Carlson's motive, and the motive of the Cass County delegates? As for as your parent's house in Bismarck...I'm sorry to hear that. I hope they are doing allright. I also feel for the people in Minot (as my wife has family there). Its hard to go through flooding (I went through the GF flood of 1997 and watched my parents house get flooded), but it's worse when the state cares more about a nickname/logo which should have been over in November(per settlement) than the real issues of the state especially flooding!! I think the meeting in Indy is worthless but hopefully, and I mean hopefully on July 25th they return from Indy ready to repeal the state law before it takes effect on Aug 1st. There are a lot more Sioux fans everyday joining the retirement bandwagon and hoping this comes to an end.

citdog
July 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hakstol is a former Sioux alum and his hockey team is the most affected by the name/logo. No other sports team shows the logo more than hockey. So I can't blame the guy for trying to save the name and logo for his Alma Mater. Now question is what is really Al Carlson's motive, and the motive of the Cass County delegates? As for as your parent's house in Bismarck...I'm sorry to hear that. I hope they are doing allright. I also feel for the people in Minot (as my wife has family there). Its hard to go through flooding (I went through the GF flood of 1997 and watched my parents house get flooded), but it's worse when the state cares more about a nickname/logo which should have been over in November(per settlement) than the real issues of the state especially flooding!! I think the meeting in Indy is worthless but hopefully, and I mean hopefully on July 25th they return from Indy ready to repeal the state law before it takes effect on Aug 1st. There are a lot more Sioux fans everyday joining the retirement bandwagon and hoping this comes to an end.

they would be called COWARDS and SHIRKERS. So it's a little difficult........SO WHAT! "That which we obtain too cheaply we esteem too lightly"

ursus arctos horribilis
July 1st, 2011, 01:48 PM

Is the state not doing what it can and should be for the flood victims?

darell1976
July 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM

Instead of spending money on a bill to save the Sioux name which a lot of people knew it wouldn't work, the state needed to spend time and money on better flood protection (especially in Fargo). The floods in Minot and Bismarck are rare because the western part of the state has been in droughts and the eastern part has been in very wet conditions. Now the west is getting hit from melting snow in Montana and Saskatewan plus above average rain is what is flooding Minot and Bismarck. As for blaming the whole flooding on the Sioux name is not right.

dgtw
July 1st, 2011, 05:09 PM
they would be called COWARDS and SHIRKERS. So it's a little difficult........SO WHAT! "That which we obtain too cheaply we esteem too lightly"

General Lee knew it was best to surrender when all hope was lost.

citdog
July 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM
General Lee knew it was best to surrender when all hope was lost.

"If I had foreseen the results of SUBJUGATION there would have been NO SURRENDER AT APPAMATTOX COURT HOUSE, NO SIR NOT BY ME. IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT USE THOSE PEOPLE WERE TO MAKE OF THEIR VICTORY I WOULD HAVE DIED THERE AT THE HEAD OF MY BRAVE MEN, MY SWORD IN THIS RIGHT HAND"

http://50plusatnyhs.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/re-lee-image.jpg

DJKyR0
July 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM

I appreciate the concern, truly.

What you're saying otherwise is that it's OK to push a law damaging UND athletics perhaps permanently if someone is an alum? Or is it only if it's an emotional knee-jerk reaction? The double-standard is what's hilarious about this entire situation, that Carlson is vilified (which he already was in Fargo) while Hakstol is praised despite them both being aboard the bandwagon. UND fans need to take off the blinders and see how much damage their precious hockey coach has done to their athletic department even if the law/name are repealed.

Twentysix
July 1st, 2011, 08:28 PM

The state could give all money that is being blown out carlsons *** to people who do not have flood insurance and have had their houses Completely ruined (AKA the houses MUST be torn down and rebuilt.) Minot does not flood typically and from what I understand almost no one has flood insurance in minot.

From what ive seen Minot residents that are now homeless, are being given a whopping $8,000 from the government, and being offered a $40,000 loan. Which by my account you couldn't even build a nice double car garage and a driveway for that amount.

It is their fault that they dont have insurance.. yes. However, should the state be blowing money on a fools errand when it could give those people a few more dollars each.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 1st, 2011, 09:14 PM
The state could give all money that is being blown out carlsons *** to people who do not have flood insurance and have had their houses Completely ruined (AKA the houses MUST be torn down and rebuilt.) Minot does not flood typically and from what I understand almost no one has flood insurance in minot.

From what ive seen Minot residents that are now homeless, are being given a whopping $8,000 from the government, and being offered a $40,000 loan. Which by my account you couldn't even build a nice double car garage and a driveway for that amount.

It is their fault that they dont have insurance.. yes. However, should the state be blowing money on a fools errand when it could give those people a few more dollars each.

You are already acting like giving $8K and setting up loans of $40K for each of them is nothing so I doubt that few extra dollars each would swing your mind. Governments waste a lot of money and it's too bad it's part of the system but it is. You are fairly focused on this one waste when there are probably much bigger wastes that would help out in this time of disaster I would bet.

As you say not having insurance is most definitely gambling with your property and the state can't come in and pay the markers for everyone that gambled cuz as far as I've seen that's not how life works. It's a real sad deal and I have cousins all over that area so it's not like I'm saying it without having family with some skin in the game.

Twentysix
July 1st, 2011, 09:17 PM
You are already acting like giving $8K and setting up loans of $40K for each of them is nothing so I doubt that few extra dollars each would swing your mind. Governments waste a lot of money and it's too bad it's part of the system but it is. You are fairly focused on this one waste when there are probably much bigger wastes that would help out in this time of disaster I would bet.

As you say not having insurance is most definitely gambling with your property and the state can't come in and pay the markers for everyone that gambled cuz as far as I've seen that's not how life works. It's a real sad deal and I have cousins all over that area so it's not like I'm saying it without having family with some skin in the game.

If you currently had a disaster going on in montana would you feel it a good time for your govenor to go meet with the ncaa in indiana?

I have to wonder if they have ever heard of videoconferencing.

bisonguy
July 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
"If I had foreseen the results of SUBJUGATION there would have been NO SURRENDER AT APPAMATTOX COURT HOUSE, NO SIR NOT BY ME. IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT USE THOSE PEOPLE WERE TO MAKE OF THEIR VICTORY I WOULD HAVE DIED THERE AT THE HEAD OF MY BRAVE MEN, MY SWORD IN THIS RIGHT HAND"

http://50plusatnyhs.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/re-lee-image.jpg

If If's and But's were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas in the south! (aka Surrenderland).

ursus arctos horribilis
July 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM
If you currently had a disaster going on in montana would you feel it a good time for your govenor to go meet with the ncaa in indiana?

No it would not bother me. I have said in the past that when Obama or Bush took a vacation when there was a disaster situration that it didn't bother me then either since they had been working on it and had people in place to handle the details. Not belittling it at all if that's what makes a guy feel better but ND has been through these quite a bit lately and are probably in as a good position with personell as a state could be considering the experience in dealing with these things.

I thought they were going to Indianapolis at the end of the month? Maybe I read that wrong if they are leaving this week or something.

darell1976
July 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM

Especially when the meeting is useless when everyone except Carlson knows what the NCAA's response would be.

darell1976
July 1st, 2011, 10:29 PM
I appreciate the concern, truly.

What you're saying otherwise is that it's OK to push a law damaging UND athletics perhaps permanently if someone is an alum? Or is it only if it's an emotional knee-jerk reaction? The double-standard is what's hilarious about this entire situation, that Carlson is vilified (which he already was in Fargo) while Hakstol is praised despite them both being aboard the bandwagon. UND fans need to take off the blinders and see how much damage their precious hockey coach has done to their athletic department even if the law/name are repealed.

The push was all on emotion, plus Carlson made it sound like the NCAA had to follow the law since it is going to be a state law. The only true voices of reason was that of Mac Schneider and Connie Tripplet (both D-Grand Forks). They brought up how damaging this law could be not only to the athletic dept but to the students if UND had to drop athletics. On SS.com (dated Feb. 21st) I brought up the what ifs after the law got approval to be voted on, and I said what if UND got more sanctioned and or got kicked out of the NCAA. People responded with it wouldn't happen, they can't do that. Damn I need to play the lottery because it could happen.

darell1976
July 1st, 2011, 10:30 PM
No it would not bother me. I have said in the past that when Obama or Bush took a vacation when there was a disaster situration that it didn't bother me then either since they had been working on it and had people in place to handle the details. Not belittling it at all if that's what makes a guy feel better but ND has been through these quite a bit lately and are probably in as a good position with personell as a state could be considering the experience in dealing with these things.

I thought they were going to Indianapolis at the end of the month? Maybe I read that wrong if they are leaving this week or something.

July 25th

gjw007
July 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
The push was all on emotion, plus Carlson made it sound like the NCAA had to follow the law since it is going to be a state law. The only true voices of reason was that of Mac Schneider and Connie Tripplet (both D-Grand Forks). They brought up how damaging this law could be not only to the athletic dept but to the students if UND had to drop athletics. On SS.com (dated Feb. 21st) I brought up the what ifs after the law got approval to be voted on, and I said what if UND got more sanctioned and or got kicked out of the NCAA. People responded with it wouldn't happen, they can't do that. Damn I need to play the lottery because it could happen.
Darell

The NCAA had to follow it since it was state law for activities within the state but what was the affect of the NCAA recognizing the name? It had already recognized that it couldn't control the school from using the name but it could control the use of the logo and nickname during playoffs and deny the ability to host playoff games. This is the same as if there was no law and was recognized in the settlement. In effect, it had no affect on the NCAA as with or without the law the results are the same but it put UND between a rock and a hard place. It may have had an effect 5 years ago but not after the settlement occurred.

darell1976
July 2nd, 2011, 07:57 AM
Darell

The NCAA had to follow it since it was state law for activities within the state but what was the affect of the NCAA recognizing the name? It had already recognized that it couldn't control the school from using the name but it could control the use of the logo and nickname during playoffs and deny the ability to host playoff games. This is the same as if there was no law and was recognized in the settlement. In effect, it had no affect on the NCAA as with or without the law the results are the same but it put UND between a rock and a hard place. It may have had an effect 5 years ago but not after the settlement occurred.

Plus the settlement says UND could sue for anti-trust laws ONLY if the NCAA changed the policy which they have not. So I see that law useless.

darell1976
July 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/208648/group/Opinion/

Former Gov. Ed Schafer suggested one last week. There might have been a statewide election, he said, and the results from Sioux County could count as an expression of sentiment on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation.

Schafer’s theory is that that would have satisfied the NCAA’s demand that North Dakota have the consent of both Sioux communities in the state. Spirit Lake voted in favor of the name; Standing Rock officials refused to hold a referendum and stuck by resolutions passed by the Tribal Council that opposed the name.

Maybe the only way UND could get a tribewide vote from the stubborn tribal council.

And yes the Standing Rock Sioux Nation is in SD and in Sioux County, ND. But no they are not asking the state to change the name of the county.

da_Bison
July 4th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Maybe the only way UND could get a tribewide vote from the stubborn tribal council.

And yes the Standing Rock Sioux Nation is in SD and in Sioux County, ND. But no they are not asking the state to change the name of the county.

Darell, is there anything legally North Dakota could do to "financially" persuade the Sioux tribes to allow usage of the name?
Maybe a very small percentage of all sales involving the name? Or a Casino xrolleyesx xnodx xeekx

JSUBison
July 4th, 2011, 02:41 PM

The idea isn't half bad on the surface, until you realize that there are non tribal members ie, WHITES, that live in Sioux County and on the reservation.

darell1976
July 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM
The idea isn't half bad on the surface, until you realize that there are non tribal members ie, WHITES, that live in Sioux County and on the reservation.

Plus its too late. The deadline was in November. So IMO anything to save the name is too late.

darell1976
July 4th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Darell, is there anything legally North Dakota could do to "financially" persuade the Sioux tribes to allow usage of the name?
Maybe a very small percentage of all sales involving the name? Or a Casino xrolleyesx xnodx xeekx

I don't know if its fact but I heard that FSU gives the Seminoes money from merchandise to keep their name. I don't think ND would do that, and if they did it would look like a bribe plus it would be bad if they did that to "win" the vote of the Standing Rock when Spirit Lake gave their blessing without money.

bisonguy
July 4th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I don't know if its fact but I heard that FSU gives the Seminoes money from merchandise to keep their name. I don't think ND would do that, and if they did it would look like a bribe plus it would be bad if they did that to "win" the vote of the Standing Rock when Spirit Lake gave their blessing without money.

I've heard the Seminoles receive money as well, but have never seen any evidence to back up the claim. I would figure it would be fairly easy to find reference to it if they actually do receive a percentage.

Hansel
July 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I've heard the Seminoles receive money as well, but have never seen any evidence to back up the claim. I would figure it would be fairly easy to find reference to it if they actually do receive a percentage.

Looks like members of the Seminole tribe get 80% of their tuition covered by FSU (not by Federal/State money).

http://www.fsu.edu/news/2005/06/17/seminole.support/

The local Chippewa and Seminole tribes came out immediately in support of CMU and FSU after the NCAA's policy on NA nicknames was released, presumably because of the long-term, formal, mutually beneficial, relationships between the tribes and universities. If UND developed a similar relationship with a Sioux tribe in the 80 years they had the nickname before the NCAA resolution, they wouldn't be in this position.

gjw007
July 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Looks like members of the Seminole tribe get 80% of their tuition covered by FSU (not by Federal/State money).

The local Chippewa and Seminole tribes came out immediately in support of CMU and FSU after the NCAA's policy on NA nicknames was released, presumably because of the long-term, formal, mutually beneficial, relationships between the tribes and universities. If UND developed a similar relationship with a Sioux tribe in the 80 years they had the nickname before the NCAA resolution, they wouldn't be in this position.

Maybe and maybe not. UND did develop several NA studies programs that aren't offered at many (I want to say few others but I haven't researched all schools to see what they offer) schools including those that are opposed to the use of NA nicknames (Minnesota, Wisconsin, St Cloud, Iowa). If fact, UND has a larger enrollment of NA students than those schools listed above combined (at least in a report given roughly 3 or 4 years ago). It is wrong to say that UND didn't do something for the NA. The question is what amount (essentially bribery) would be enough.

It's time to more on, right or wrong.

dgtw
July 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
So people are less offended if you pay them off.

StorminASU
July 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Come on guys, can't we just smoke a peace pipe over this whole thing? Has anybody even asked them yet? I bet they'd be down...

ursus arctos horribilis
July 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
So people are less offended if you pay them off.

Have you ever seen a case where this wasn't the case? I'm sure there may be some but they are rare and in those cases the offended party just wasn't getting enough of a cut.

citdog
July 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Has anyone offered the Sioux a handful of these in exchange for their support?

http://www.party902.com/images/Round_Beads_Multi.jpg

darell1976
July 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Come on guys, can't we just smoke a peace pipe over this whole thing? Has anybody even asked them yet? I bet they'd be down...

http://www.kfyrtv.com/News_Stories.asp?news=37669

Fool Bear, a self-proclaimed full-bred Sioux, says the tribal council has already made its decision. In a July 21, 1969 edition of the Grand Forks Herald, the paper reports, "Friday Night a band of Standing Rock Sioux (Hunkpapa Sioux) formerly gave UND teams the right to use the name of `Fighting Sioux` for their athletic teams."

A ceremony was held at the University Center to mark the decision by, then Tribal Chairman, Aljoe Agard. Tobacco and a pipe were used to stamp the decision.

"When we do something by certain ceremony, like name giving ceremony, it`s permanent, you can never take that back, so let people understand," said Antoine American Horse Jr.

SDFS
July 5th, 2011, 07:36 PM

FSU administrators also regularly travel to Seminole reservations to recruit students to be "Seminole Scholars." Wetherell established the scholarships, which pay 80 percent of a student's tuition. Because of his efforts, Florida State will have four new Seminole students this fall, the most ever enrolled at one time. They will join four Seminole students currently enrolled. Three other Seminole students are alumni.

I understand the first part of the paragraph .. a total of 8 students will be enrolled at FSU this fall. But, in the last sentence is he saying that FSU has three Seminole alumni?

I do agree with you that it appears that FSU has a great relationship with local tribes. But, I think that it might have more to do with this...

In 2007 and 2008, eight Native American gambling casinos in Florida generated $3.5 billion in revenue. The Seminole Tribe owns seven of these casinos, three of which are in Broward. Read the article it is interesting..

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-06-21/news/fl-jscol-seminoles-racinos-smith-061520110619_1_multitude-of-government-grants-seminoles-casinos

Just a couple examples for programs that take place on the campus of UND.

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2011/03/18/time-out-week-and-wacipi-celebration-set-from-april-4-10-on-und-campus/

The University of North Dakota Indian Studies Association (UND-ISA) and Indian Association (UNDIA) are proud to announce the 41st Time-Out and Wacipi (Powwow) Celebration on the UND campus.

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2011/02/24/und-rain-program-to-partner-with-cankdeska-cikana-community-college/

There are 32,257 American Indian people in North Dakota, comprising 4.88 percent of the total population. However, there are only 91 American Indian nurses in the state, 78 of which have graduated from the RAIN Program. The number of American Indian nurses is insufficient to serve the state’s Indian population.

For more than 20 years, the RAIN Program, under the leadership of Deb Wilson, program coordinator, and Barb Anderson, assistant program coordinator, has been providing support and mentorship services to American Indian students pursuing nursing degrees at UND.

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2010/12/10/und-program-encourages-american-indian-high-school-students-to-study-engineering-by-building-computers/

The NSF program is designed to address the shortage of American Indians enrolled in and graduating from engineering programs. The UND engineering school has partnered with UND American Indian programs and with selected high schools, community colleges and tribal colleges in North Dakota and northwest Minnesota to establish a pipeline for access to engineering for American Indian students.

citdog
July 5th, 2011, 08:48 PM
perhaps something useful to UND can be found here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm1Jyusyoqk&feature=related

Hansel
July 6th, 2011, 01:29 PM

FSU administrators also regularly travel to Seminole reservations to recruit students to be "Seminole Scholars." Wetherell established the scholarships, which pay 80 percent of a student's tuition. Because of his efforts, Florida State will have four new Seminole students this fall, the most ever enrolled at one time. They will join four Seminole students currently enrolled. Three other Seminole students are alumni.

I understand the first part of the paragraph .. a total of 8 students will be enrolled at FSU this fall. But, in the last sentence is he saying that FSU has three Seminole alumni?

I do agree with you that it appears that FSU has a great relationship with local tribes. But, I think that it might have more to do with this...

In 2007 and 2008, eight Native American gambling casinos in Florida generated $3.5 billion in revenue. The Seminole Tribe owns seven of these casinos, three of which are in Broward. Read the article it is interesting..

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-06-21/news/fl-jscol-seminoles-racinos-smith-061520110619_1_multitude-of-government-grants-seminoles-casinos

Just a couple examples for programs that take place on the campus of UND.

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2011/03/18/time-out-week-and-wacipi-celebration-set-from-april-4-10-on-und-campus/

The University of North Dakota Indian Studies Association (UND-ISA) and Indian Association (UNDIA) are proud to announce the 41st Time-Out and Wacipi (Powwow) Celebration on the UND campus.

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2011/02/24/und-rain-program-to-partner-with-cankdeska-cikana-community-college/

There are 32,257 American Indian people in North Dakota, comprising 4.88 percent of the total population. However, there are only 91 American Indian nurses in the state, 78 of which have graduated from the RAIN Program. The number of American Indian nurses is insufficient to serve the state’s Indian population.

For more than 20 years, the RAIN Program, under the leadership of Deb Wilson, program coordinator, and Barb Anderson, assistant program coordinator, has been providing support and mentorship services to American Indian students pursuing nursing degrees at UND.

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2010/12/10/und-program-encourages-american-indian-high-school-students-to-study-engineering-by-building-computers/

The NSF program is designed to address the shortage of American Indians enrolled in and graduating from engineering programs. The UND engineering school has partnered with UND American Indian programs and with selected high schools, community colleges and tribal colleges in North Dakota and northwest Minnesota to establish a pipeline for access to engineering for American Indian students.

UND has many NA programs, what they do not have is formal relationships with any of the Sioux TRIBES, which is why the nickname will probably go.