PDA

View Full Version : Basil Resigns as Savannah St HC

TexasTerror
March 14th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Savannah St's head football coadh resigned. Do you blame him? 2-26 over the past two years. No luck getting into any conference at all. It's just a rough situation at Savannah St. Their athletic web site has nothing as of "post time"...

Basil resigns as Savannah State head coach
Associated Press

SAVANNAH, Ga. - Richard Basil resigned as head football coach at Savannah State on Tuesday after compiling a 2-26 record over the past 2 1/2 seasons, including 0-11 in 2005, the university said.

Basil stepped in as interim coach midway through the 2003 season, finishing with a record of 0-7.

In 2004, the Tigers were 2-8 after victories over Division I-AA foe Norfolk State and NAIA opponent Allen University.

Basil was quarterback at Savannah State in 1988 and 1989 and over a 10-year period coached quarterbacks, receivers, special teams and defensive backs before becoming head coach.

Athletic director Robert "Tony" O'Neal said a nationwide search would begin immediately for a replacement for Basil, who will be on administrative leave until May 14.

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 07:13 AM
They are going to find it tough to get someone to deal with that mess. Coach Basil is a quality guy and I feel sorry for him to have to leave his alma matter in that circumstance. The President and former AD really messed things up there.

bosshogg
March 15th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I feel bad for basil as well....he is both a good coach and person

Baldy
March 15th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Savannah St's head football coadh resigned. Do you blame him? 2-26 over the past two years. No luck getting into any conference at all. It's just a rough situation at Savannah St. Their athletic web site has nothing as of "post time"...

Basil resigns as Savannah State head coach
Associated Press

SAVANNAH, Ga. - Richard Basil resigned as head football coach at Savannah State on Tuesday after compiling a 2-26 record over the past 2 1/2 seasons, including 0-11 in 2005, the university said.

Basil stepped in as interim coach midway through the 2003 season, finishing with a record of 0-7.

In 2004, the Tigers were 2-8 after victories over Division I-AA foe Norfolk State and NAIA opponent Allen University.

Basil was quarterback at Savannah State in 1988 and 1989 and over a 10-year period coached quarterbacks, receivers, special teams and defensive backs before becoming head coach.

Athletic director Robert "Tony" O'Neal said a nationwide search would begin immediately for a replacement for Basil, who will be on administrative leave until May 14.

They gonna need to do a worldwide search to find someone desperate enough to take that job, especially with NCAA and FBI investigations concerning their steroid fiasco. : smh :

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 07:30 AM
With that mess they've got, I don't think it matters who the coach is they will not win. Paul Johnson couldn't turn that program around.

Eaglegus2
March 15th, 2006, 12:47 PM
With that mess they've got, I don't think it matters who the coach is they will not win. Paul Johnson couldn't turn that program around.

I beg to disagree!!

PJ wouldn't tolerate a lot of the happenings with the players of SSU. PJ would make SSU football a winner.

Richard Basil is a very good coach and person. I wish him the best in his future endeavours.

Shannon Sharpe would be a good hire for coach, but CBS pays him a large sum for his services on Sunday. I bet that Sterling Sharpe would make a great coach there.

BTW, Sterling & Shannon played sports at the same high school I graduated from. These young men are class acts and both will be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

I am so excited that we will have two NFL HoF players from a town of 6000 people.

Glennville Georgia - Home of the Sharpe Brothers - Future Hall of Famers:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :D

GaSouthern
March 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM
My brother in law is chomping at the bit to coach at SSU.
He is a 2004 Grad of Georgia Southern and thinks entering his college coaching carreer @ a D-1AA school would be a huge leap.

He helped turn around a 1-10 highschool team to a 9-2 team and go to state semi's in his two years at that highschool. I hope he gets the job and turns that school around, but I dont expect them to hire a white guy. If he is not the head coach, he will be a coach somewhere on that team!

Kerry Platt, you heard it here first!

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I beg to disagree!!

PJ wouldn't tolerate a lot of the happenings with the players of SSU. PJ would make SSU football a winner.

Richard Basil is a very good coach and person. I wish him the best in his future endeavours.

Shannon Sharpe would be a good hire for coach, but CBS pays him a large sum for his services on Sunday. I bet that Sterling Sharpe would make a great coach there.

BTW, Sterling & Shannon played sports at the same high school I graduated from. These young men are class acts and both will be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

I am so excited that we will have two NFL HoF players from a town of 6000 people.

Glennville Georgia - Home of the Sharpe Brothers - Future Hall of Famers:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :D
The reason I say this is the athletic program is so deep in debt and the administration seems so inept P.J. wouldn't have anything to work with. I doubt Shannon would take the job because of an ongoing fight with the school.

And no, they will never hire a white guy, even if it is discrimination. This is a two-way street.

Eaglegus2
March 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM
My brother in law is chomping at the bit to coach at SSU.
He is a 2004 Grad of Georgia Southern and thinks entering his college coaching carreer @ a D-1AA school would be a huge leap.

He helped turn around a 1-10 highschool team to a 9-2 team and go to state semi's in his two years at that highschool. I hope he gets the job and turns that school around, but I dont expect them to hire a white guy. If he is not the head coach, he will be a coach somewhere on that team!

Kerry Platt, you heard it here first!

The HC for baseball was white and he was terminated. He had the only winning athletic program at SSU. Your brother-n-law will have a hard time getting the job unless no one else applies.

slostang
March 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I hope they do not use this as an excuse to drop the program. Cal Poly had a hell of a time getting an 11th game. If SSU drops football it will hard for Cal Poly to get another game to replace SUU, especially a home game.

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I don't see them dropping football. It is their only money-making sport.

GaSouthern
March 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I don't see them dropping football. It is their only money-making sport.

SSU football makes money..

"Thats funny right there, I dont care who ya are!"

Kill'em
March 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Thank you. I'll be here all week.

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2006, 05:01 PM
The release is out by the way...

http://www.savstate.edu/athletics/football/2006/06_0315_coachresigns.htm

Anyone come across any thing about replacement? Or is this going to be a long drawn out process?

March 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Was out a few days ago...
3/14/06 Basil resigns as Savannah State’s head coach
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=76918
;)

You folks are reading your I-AA.org aren't you? :)

GaSouthern
March 22nd, 2006, 08:08 PM
no new news on that