PDA

View Full Version : Gordie Lockbaum, Holy Cross - #50 on ESPN Top 50 "Simply Saturday"

Go...gate
June 27th, 2011, 10:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/ncf/feature/video/_/id/6681950/simply-saturday

One of the greatest I-AA/FCS players ever.

Very glad to see Gordie get his due. xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 27th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Pretty Cool!! xthumbsupx

UNHFan
June 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Huge Gordie fan!! Love it!!! People need to remember the year before he finished 3 in the Heismen he finished 5th and caused ABC then to scramble! and make changes of how many they invited to the show in the future Gordie was 2nd in first place votes! It was all the NE Writers I am sure... but if Gordie played in the information era I bet he would have done much better in the over all ballot

Just remember that fact Gordie fans 2nd in 1st place ballots in 1986

Fordham
June 28th, 2011, 08:46 AM
That's awesome. I remember being on the sidelines for a recruiting trip at WP for the HC-Army game when he was a senior. My father and I noticed how often they were calling the name Lockbaum and it was very cool when we looked in the program and discovered that he was listed as a 2 way starter. HC won that game - I know I could look it up but I think the final was something like 17-14. A few weeks later he's on the cover of SI.

How active is he with the HC program? Anyone know?

Franks Tanks
June 28th, 2011, 09:12 AM
That's awesome. I remember being on the sidelines for a recruiting trip at WP for the HC-Army game when he was a senior. My father and I noticed how often they were calling the name Lockbaum and it was very cool when we looked in the program and discovered that he was listed as a 2 way starter. HC won that game - I know I could look it up but I think the final was something like 17-14. A few weeks later he's on the cover of SI.

I think Gordie does Holy Cross games on TV or radio.

whoanellie
June 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Armani Edwards will be on this list one day as a total NFL bust but all-time FCS great!!!

Go...gate
June 28th, 2011, 02:37 PM

I thought he was a Head Coach in NJ High School FB, but that was a few years ago now....he may have returned to Mt. St. James.

aust42
June 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
My high school scrimmages Glassboro High every year and still does to this day. I was a sophmore when Gordie was a Senior at Glassboro. I don't remember him in particular playing against him in the scrimmage but sure do remember reading about him during the season. They probably didn't play him too much in the scrimmage. Glassboro had another running back that went to Penn State during the same time frame. They were just loaded. Glassboro High School is one of those small schools (Group 1, NJ) that is always playing in their respective Group Championship every single year and always has a couple kids go on to play Division 1. My Bluehens have a couple Glassboro graduates on our team now.

Sader87
June 28th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Back when we actually cared about football....

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM

So Dominic Randolph is the product of not caring?

Franks Tanks
June 29th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I thought he was a Head Coach in NJ High School FB, but that was a few years ago now....he may have returned to Mt. St. James.

http://www.sullivangroup.com/about_our_firm/partners/gordon_c._lockbaum/default.cfm

Looks like Gordie is a VP at an insurance company in Worchester. Apparently his son (Gordie Jr.) also wears Purple-- he plays for Amhearst.

aust42
June 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Gordies time at Holy Cross were truly back in the good ole days for the Crusaders. What a dam shame they decided to eliminate scholarships and destroy a once proud football program.

UNHFan
June 29th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Gordies time at Holy Cross were truly back in the good ole days for the Crusaders. What a dam shame they decided to eliminate scholarships and destroy a once proud football program.

DONT GET ME STARTED!!!! 80s early 90's where great! HC was second only to BC when it came to support. A bad attendance day would be 10K back then and having near sell outs was common place.... And!! HC Cross doubled road game attendance where ever they played 1990 at Harvard drew nearly 20,000 When harvard was drawing Half that other then Yale game. I can go on and on.. on this subject!

Oh anyone remember ESPN IVY Game of the week? Twice it was an Ivy team playing HC .. the Princeton/HC telecast was at Fitton Field it was packed!

I HAVENT EVEN STARTED!!! kidding :)

aust42
June 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
DONT GET ME STARTED!!!! 80s early 90's where great! HC was second only to BC when it came to support. A bad attendance day would be 10K back then and having near sell outs was common place.... And!! HC Cross doubled road game attendance where ever they played 1990 at Harvard drew nearly 20,000 When harvard was drawing Half that other then Yale game. I can go on and on.. on this subject!

Oh anyone remember ESPN IVY Game of the week? Twice it was an Ivy team playing HC .. the Princeton/HC telecast was at Fitton Field it was packed!

So why did the powers that be decide to destroy a great football tradition?

CrusaderBob
June 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Well, not the cover of SI, but follow this link and flip to page 42. Great story by Rick Reilly with some nice pictures. As I recall NBC also did a feature a week or two later on its NFL pregame show, too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19861110&mode=reader_vault

I think Gordie does Holy Cross games on TV or radio.

A number of years ago he was the regular analyst on the radio, but I'm pretty sure he stepped away to be able to attend weekend activities with his family. In 2002, his son's Little League Team made it to the Little League World Series semi-finals.

Last year I believe Gordie came back and did 2 or 3 games on radio. Not sure about plans for this year.

BTW - That's Gordie on the far right in my avatar at the HC Ring of Fame induction last year at Fitton Field.

BTW #2 - Here's an easier to read version of the SI article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065445/index.htm

Sader87
June 29th, 2011, 08:47 PM
So why did the powers that be decide to destroy a great football tradition?

2 words: Patriot League

Ivytalk
June 29th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Always liked Lockbaum, even though he left cleatmarks on Harvard DLs!

Go...gate
June 29th, 2011, 10:32 PM

Princeton won the Ivy Co-Championship that year and thought it might have a chance. The game was never in doubt. Final score Holy Cross 46, Princeton 0, and HC could have scored at least twice more....

Go...gate
June 29th, 2011, 10:33 PM
2 words: Patriot League

Here we go again....

I-16Bandit
June 29th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Armani Edwards will be on this list one day as a total NFL bust but all-time FCS great!!!

xbangx

Sader87
June 30th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Here we go again....

Beating the proverbial dead horse I know....but you can't, in good conscience, say that the Patriot League did not severely damage both Colgate and Holy Cross football.

UAalum72
June 30th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Beating the proverbial dead horse I know....but you can't, in good conscience, say that the Patriot League did not severely damage both Colgate and Holy Cross football.

In the four years before joining the Patriot League, Holy Cross lost four games to Boston College by a combined 165-34, and lost to Army 34-12. Every other regular-season game in that period was against the Ivy League, the Yankee Conference, and Colgate.

Ivy attendance was already in a long-term decline by that time. Blame the NCAA and ABC losing their one- or two-college-game per weekend TV monopoly to cable.

Franks Tanks
June 30th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Colgate didn't offer scholarships before the PL was formed.

In the mid-80's (or before) teams could compete in I-AA using need based financial aid. Colgate had great teams using that model, and from what I understand Delaware and some of the Yankee Conference teams also used need-based aid and found success. I think Brooks, and the other PL Presidents, felt that the PL and Ivy league would continue to remain very competitive using the need based aid model.

LBPop
June 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM

As a Maryland Alum and an FCS fan by way of my son's time at Georgetown, I think I can safely say that Mark Duffner successfully damaged two programs with one decision.:(