PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com article on Charlotte 49ers Football

49RFootballNow
June 24th, 2011, 04:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/

Only a few things wrong:

FSL prices are $1000 to $2500 per seat, not $250 to $1500.

If Judy's been pro-football since the early 1990's she's hid it really well. xeyebrowx

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=6699612

VBR_Productions
June 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I saw this article earlier but hadn't had a chance to share it. Two questions (neither are smack).

1. The story states that 3,400 personal seat licenses have been sold to date. Didn't the football study state that the administration should hold off on starting football until 5K PSLs were sold, and to have been sold by a certain date? I might be mis-remembering something. How proactively is the administration advertising to sell the last 1,600? It seems like I've heard that number for a while now.

2. From the article - "Rose had discussions with at least three FCS leagues -- the Big South, Colonial Athletic Association and Southern Conference -- about membership, but each league decided it wasn't interested in expanding." This is inconsistent with what has been announced, specifically that Charlotte has inquired about football-only membership and was denied. Do we know whether the leagues turned them down for all sports? I don't recall any conference saying they flat out did not want to expand, just that they didn't want to expand for football-only members. This article makese it sound like none of the three would expand for anyone.

It's good publicity for UNCC, Charlotte, or UNC-C, whatever I'm supposed to call them without offending their fans.

49RFootballNow
June 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I saw this article earlier but hadn't had a chance to share it. Two questions (neither are smack).

1. The story states that 3,400 personal seat licenses have been sold to date. Didn't the football study state that the administration should hold off on starting football until 5K PSLs were sold, and to have been sold by a certain date? I might be mis-remembering something. How proactively is the administration advertising to sell the last 1,600? It seems like I've heard that number for a while now.

The original FSL proposal, which came from the Chancellor after consulting professional sports figures in town and was opposed behind closed doors in the AD, was to raise $5 million by selling FSLs at $1000 each. We then added 2 levels of FSLs, Green seats for $1000 and Gold for $2500. We raised $4.5 million from the 3400 FSLs sold so far and got an additional $1.6 million in private donations on top of that. The real goal was the money and that was met by the deadline the Chancellor imposed.

2. From the article - "Rose had discussions with at least three FCS leagues -- the Big South, Colonial Athletic Association and Southern Conference -- about membership, but each league decided it wasn't interested in expanding." This is inconsistent with what has been announced, specifically that Charlotte has inquired about football-only membership and was denied. Do we know whether the leagues turned them down for all sports? I don't recall any conference saying they flat out did not want to expand, just that they didn't want to expand for football-only members. This article makese it sound like none of the three would expand for anyone.

It's good publicity for UNCC, Charlotte, or UNC-C, whatever I'm supposed to call them without offending their fans.

There were several inaccuracies in the article and I think this is one of them. We only offered the SoCon and Big South football and according to the Observer we're still in ongoing discussions with the CAA.