PDA

View Full Version : CAA vs SOCON crossover games?

Wildcat80
June 24th, 2011, 10:23 AM
The thread about stadiums got me thinking that I may never get to see most of the SoCon stadiums--good or bad. It would be nice if the two conferences could do one OOC game a year vs each team. I know its unlikely given the playoffs but I'd love to visit ASU, or Wofford, or even GaSouthern.....for night games in September. UNH is terrific in September too. And a charter can fly into Pease which is 10 minutes from campus. xpeacex

bostonspider
June 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Last year the Phoenix came up and took on the Spiders to open Robin Stadium

HighCountry
June 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM
The thread about stadiums got me thinking that I may never get to see most of the SoCon stadiums--good or bad. It would be nice if the two conferences could do one OOC game a year vs each team. I know its unlikely given the playoffs but I'd love to visit ASU, or Wofford, or even GaSouthern.....for night games in September. UNH is terrific in September too. And a charter can fly into Pease which is 10 minutes from campus. xpeacex

You've already seen Wofford if you can remember what your high school field looked like. I love that idea though, it would bring a lot of exciting games in the regular season.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM
For UNH and Maine - Georgia State, Georgia Southern, what's the difference? xlolx

Saint3333
June 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
A win or loss likely.

wmmii
June 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Great idea!

gophoenix
June 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM
You've already seen Wofford if you can remember what your high school field looked like. I love that idea though, it would bring a lot of exciting games in the regular season.

Three posts to let the smack fly...

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM
For UNH and Maine - Georgia State, Georgia Southern, what's the difference? xlolx

Direct flights.

Apphole
June 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I wish you CAA guys could come to a regular season game at the Rock. I feel like the OOC perception of KBS is not nearly as good as it should be. Theres 10k more people and it makes it loud. Not quite as loud as UM because of their layout but pretty frikkin' nuts. Ive heard our student section compared to the Cameron Crazies a few times.

GannonFan
June 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Great idea - although you'd need to talk to Furman - they're not a big fan of the cross over games, especially the road ones. ;)

ur2k
June 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I wish you CAA guys could come to a regular season game at the Rock. I feel like the OOC perception of KBS is not nearly as good as it should be. Theres 10k more people and it makes it loud. Not quite as loud as UM because of their layout but pretty frikkin' nuts. Ive heard our student section compared to the Cameron Crazies a few times.

I loved our night game semifinal in Boone in 2007 (outside of the result) - that was a great college football atmosphere.

yorkcountyUNHfan
June 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM
A win or loss likely.

You may want to check the history on that one.....

Saint3333
June 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'll take GSU (the real one) over UNH this year.

Mountaineer
June 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I loved our night game semifinal in Boone in 2007 (outside of the result) - that was a great college football atmosphere.

Probably my favorite game at KBS other than Wofford on Halloween 2008. xnodx

yorkcountyUNHfan
June 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I'll take GSU (the real one) over UNH this year.

I hope we get a chance to play it!

GaSouthern
June 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I hope we get a chance to play it!

Mee too sir, that game in 2004 was one of the worst football nights of my life. 40 degree rain for 2 hours with no shirt on mixed with GSU's first ever first round playoff loss... AND IT WAS AT HOME! I was more than a little pissed.

ccd494
June 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Been there, done that:

Maine 14, Appalachian State 13 - Marcus Williams rushed for 157 yards and scored the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter as Maine (11-2) beat Appalachian State (8-4) in Boone, N.C.

Williams scored on a 41-yard run with 9:41 to play, capping a nine-play, 80-yard drive for the Black Bears, who held the the Mountaineers to 251 total yards, 106 below their season average. Maine will visit Georgia Southern on Saturday.

Maine fought back after Appalachian State had taken a 10-0 lead in the third quarter. Maine answered with a 27-yard scoring pass from Jon Meczywor to Ryan Waller with 1:31 left in the period, pulling to within 10-7.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Count on some SoCon-CAA matchups in the playoffs this year.

asumike83
June 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Been there, done that:

Maine 14, Appalachian State 13 - Marcus Williams rushed for 157 yards and scored the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter as Maine (11-2) beat Appalachian State (8-4) in Boone, N.C.

Williams scored on a 41-yard run with 9:41 to play, capping a nine-play, 80-yard drive for the Black Bears, who held the the Mountaineers to 251 total yards, 106 below their season average. Maine will visit Georgia Southern on Saturday.

Maine fought back after Appalachian State had taken a 10-0 lead in the third quarter. Maine answered with a 27-yard scoring pass from Jon Meczywor to Ryan Waller with 1:31 left in the period, pulling to within 10-7.

Yep, I remember as well. We didn't lose another home game for 5 years after that! However, if you came to KBS today I think you would find the atmosphere much different than in 2002. We've done a lot of renovations and the crowds are about twice the size they were at that time.

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Great idea - although you'd need to talk to Furman - they're not a big fan of the cross over games, especially the road ones. ;)

If you guys could have matched Mizzou's payout we would have been happy to whip you again. :)

Wildcat80
June 24th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Yep, I remember as well. We didn't lose another home game for 5 years after that! However, if you came to KBS today I think you would find the atmosphere much different than in 2002. We've done a lot of renovations and the crowds are about twice the size they were at that time.

2002 was a very good year to be a Black Bear!

http://www.fanbase.com/Maine-Black-Bears-Football-2002

eaglewraith
June 24th, 2011, 05:03 PM
2002 was a very good year to be a Black Bear!

http://www.fanbase.com/Maine-Black-Bears-Football-2002

2002-03 FCS Championship - Quarterfinals
at Georgia Southern
7 - 31 L Dec 7, 2002

Oh wait...

Wildcat80
June 24th, 2011, 09:37 PM
2002-03 FCS Championship - Quarterfinals
at Georgia Southern
7 - 31 L Dec 7, 2002

Oh wait...

Does not take anything away from Maine's season.....only one team wins their last game.

GannonFan
June 25th, 2011, 09:37 PM
If you guys could have matched Mizzou's payout we would have been happy to whip you again. :)

Well, matched the Mizzou payout and not take Devlin in as a QB that year. Odd that you guys backed out about the same time that it became clear you'd be playing against Devlin. Odd, because that yellow stripe only shows up on the back of the football uniforms - don't see it anywhere else on those unis. xnodx

AAadict
June 25th, 2011, 11:37 PM
X-over's with SoCon is a great idea but Hens have some exciting OOC's in the seasons to come with Navy, Pitt, and maybe another crack at Maryland. Also gotta save a slot for Delaware State (a prime example of "careful what you ask for").

ccd494
June 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I really have a hard time believing any SoCon teams would want to come up to Orono or Durham or even Kingston.

Saint3333
June 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I really have a hard time believing any SoCon teams would want to come up to Orono or Durham or even Kingston.

Based on attendance I'm not sure anyone does.

whoanellie
June 26th, 2011, 02:45 PM
it really gets down to money and the BCS guaranteed monies that playing SEC & ACC teams get playing with better traveling costs. For Elon We have had some very good match ups with Wake Duke and '12 UNC all an hours drive or less. That means We are not spending huge amounts on traveling expenses. Vandy our'11 opener is not that bad a trip to Knoxville. As for CAA, We have played JMU, Towson,Richmond, RIP Hofstra as well as Stoneybrook H&H. Our new coaches have deep New England roots so time will tell.

wb247
June 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
. . . Vandy our'11 opener is not that bad a trip to Knoxville. . . .

Do you mean Nashville?

Mntneer
June 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Would love an excuse to come to New England. But given the choice, you don't want to come to Boone in September. Still too hot. Mid October is peak tourist season for good reason ;)

Wildcat80
June 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Based on attendance I'm not sure anyone does.

not true at UNH.....for a good game....in nice weather.......UMass & UNH had 32,000 watch at Gillette!

whoanellie
June 27th, 2011, 08:42 AM
of course
Do you mean Nashville?

gasoutherneagle
June 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Big empty dome with Atlanta Falcons stuff everywhere or a packed house on natural turf & six title flags furling in the breeze overhead.