PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new VCU FB Site

henfan
June 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.vcuramfootball.com/

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
These fans want to use FCS as a waystation to FBS - hence, their preference to use "The Boulevard" instead of City Stadium for their football dreams.

Is that what the VCU braintrust also has in mind?

henfan
June 20th, 2011, 02:52 PM
The only word I've heard from VCU's CEO was that he was interested in the school conducting a D-I FB feasibility study. No mention of FCS or FBS, though, IMO, it's highly doubtful VCU would look at the FBS as an immediate or quick destination.

TheDancinMonarch
June 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Football at VCU goes nowhere at any level until the "basketball is only reason for living" crowd there gets on board.

JMU2004
June 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
haha...that site has them in the Big East within 15 years. It is a fan's pipe dream.

VBR_Productions
June 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Obstacles not discussed:

1. Political maneuvering with the City of Richmond, which is historically slow to accept change.
2. Political maneuvering with the Commonwealth of Virginia. The governor retaliated against VCU severely with budget cuts due to President Rao's tuition increase last year. Any venture into football would require a bump in student athletic fees.
3. Intensity of football fandom in Richmond/surrounding areas. Hampton Roads and Atlanta are pretty hot for football so that helped attendance for Old Dominion and Georgia State, respectively. Is there a similar fever for football in Richmond? I have a few friends in Richmond with UVa season tickets so they don't stick around town when the Wahoos play at home. Will VCU football be able to capture the interest of these fans?
4. Overall athletic department infrastructure. In reading their fan forum, it seems like basketball facilities get most of the attention while other sports' facilities are lacking. Is this from a lack of funding, lack of capability, lack of...? Would the A/D be able to support the largest operation in collegiate athletics?

Just my two cents.

Longhorn
June 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.vcuramfootball.com/

Good luck to VCU. Major flaw in this author's "plan" however ...while the VA General Assembly will have to approve the construction of the stadium...or any renovation to an existing structure that would cost more than $1 million...the VA General Assembly will not "build" a stadium for VCU. Expenditure of general revenue funds for college athletics is forbidden by VA law. VCU might request the legislature to give the institution approval for a state-backed bond...but VCU will have to show how those bonds will be repaid.

DFW HOYA
June 20th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Good luck to VCU. Major flaw in this author's "plan" however ...while the VA General Assembly will have to approve the construction of the stadium...or any renovation to an existing structure that would cost more than $1 million...the VA General Assembly will not "build" a stadium for VCU.

If so, either reconfigure the Diamond or just play at City Stadium until the funding goes through.

elon77
June 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
With the amount of money they just tossed the basketball coaches way, do they have any left for other sports? Seems I read somewhere that the student fees took a HUGE jump for Smart's raise.

bjtheflamesfan
June 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
If so, either reconfigure the Diamond or just play at City Stadium until the funding goes through.

Im sure that if that was a plan theyd have to consider that the Flying Squirrels baseball team also plays at The Diamond.

superman7515
June 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah, but that level ends during the first week of September, so some years they'd start on the road (maybe an FBS game) and some years it would be over by the first Saturday anyway.

Sec310
June 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
With the internet now, anybody can put together a website and advocate any cause. So this guy puts together a website and advocates bringing back football. Big ****ing deal. Until a school actually puts football up for a vote and/or students put it on the ballot, nothing matters. Sure, it's important to get the word out there and these websites serve some purpose, but it's all just BS, until football is approved.

Who will add football first, Cal St. Long Beach or VCU?

DFW HOYA
June 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
. Until a school actually puts football up for a vote and/or students put it on the ballot, nothing matters.

Schools add sports without ballots all the time. Did I miss the vote that added lacrosse at Michigan?

Sec310
June 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Schools add sports without ballots all the time. Did I miss the vote that added lacrosse at Michigan?

Other sports, may not be, but since we are talking football on this board, football is usually put up to a vote. So that example, of Michigan adding LAX, is almost irrelevant. In CA schools football will be up for a vote, to the students, since they are the ones who will pay for it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
With the internet now, anybody can put together a website and advocate any cause. So this guy puts together a website and advocates bringing back football. Big ****ing deal. Until a school actually puts football up for a vote and/or students put it on the ballot, nothing matters. Sure, it's important to get the word out there and these websites serve some purpose, but it's all just BS, until football is approved.

Who will add football first, Cal St. Long Beach or VCU?

This is exactly right.

Guys, this dog just ain't gonna hunt. Forget it. There is too much BS in this actual 'plan' to waste keystrokes on it.

kdinva
June 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
This is exactly right.

Guys, this dog just ain't gonna hunt. Forget it. There is too much BS in this actual 'plan' to waste keystrokes on it.

....agree; schools like Geo. Mason and Winthrop will have football before VCU.

Saint3333
June 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'd say with those numbers they have quite a bit of potential.