PDA

View Full Version : NEC: Tough Non-conference Opponents and Intense Rivalries on the Docket in 2011

aceinthehole
June 20th, 2011, 12:19 PM
From the NEC:

Somerset, NJ - The 2011 Northeast Conference Football schedule is loaded with noteworthy non-conference opponents and intriguing intra-league match-ups.

For the first time since 2004, there is a Northeast Conference contest on the Week 1 docket.

Wagner and Saint Francis (PA) officially kick off the league schedule on September 3 in Staten Island, while the seven other NEC members lift the lid off the 2011 campaign by facing non-conference foes from the CAA, Patriot League, and Pioneer League.

NEC teams will most-frequently face CAA opponents during the 27-game non-conference slate. There are six scheduled contests between members of the two leagues, the first of which will feature Bryant and Maine on September 3 in Orono. Albany, which has beaten Maine each of the past two years, will face the Black Bears two week later (Sept. 17) in New York’s Capital Region.

Central Connecticut, which shared the 2010 NEC title with Robert Morris, will take on two opponents from the CAA this season. Jeff McInerney’s Blue Devils will visit former NCAA champion James Madison on September 10 followed by a bout at Massachusetts, which has begun transitioning out of the CAA and into the Mid-American Conference (FBS), on October 8.

The Northeast Conference will look to continue its recent success against Patriot League members. After NEC teams took four of the five meetings in 2010, members of the two conferences will clash five more times this season with three of the contests coming on Opening Day.

Lehigh (1st) and Colgate (3rd) were two of the top-three finishers in the Patriot League last season and will both begin the 2011 campaign by taking on perennial NEC title contenders. Read full release at http://northeastconference.org/News/general/2011/6/16/fb-skedstory-11.asp?path=general

-----
Also from the NEC, the Conference will host its annual preseason media teleconference on Wednesday, August 3 (tentative), beginning at 11:00 am. The preseason poll results and the Preseason All-NEC Team will be announced on the call and media members will have the opportunity to speak with all nine of the league’s head coaches.

And the conference has plans to televise five games on NEC-TV with each of the league's nine members guaranteed at least one exposure. NEC-TV will partner with MSG and FCS in order to give the games a strong platform in the New York City market as well as nationally. The five dates/times/games have not yet been determined.

Go...gate
June 21st, 2011, 05:40 PM
Always glad to read a press release from Somerset, NJ, right up Route 27!

Looking forward to Colgate-Monmouth at West Long Branch on October 8.

M Ruler
June 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
I am looking forward to Albany @ Colgate. What type of crowd can we expect to see at Colgate in Septemeber for a night game?

Albany should be improved. 6-5 not a great year by Albany standards. Colgate has the all world rb. Can you say 9 in the box?

hebmskebm
July 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
The NEC did a fine job scheduling this season. A lot of OOC games that look to be very competitive. My personal rule about scheduling (at all levels of college football) is that I never begrudge any school who plays ONE (and only one) "play-down" home game against a lower division opponent per year. This year the only school playing down more than once is Bryant, and in fact there are only three games against DII opponents total for the entire league (American International vs. Bryant, Stonehill vs. Bryant, and Southern Conn. vs. Central Conn.)

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2011, 08:37 PM
I am looking forward to Albany @ Colgate. What type of crowd can we expect to see at Colgate in September for a night game?Albany should be improved. 6-5 not a great year by Albany standards. Colgate has the all world rb. Can you say 9 in the box?

5-6,000 at Andy Kerr.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
I'm interested see what kind of crowd the Lehigh-Monmouth game gets @ MU. I have a feeling Lehigh will have a large turnout given the amount of alums in NJ and momentum gained from last year. Monmouth's stadium only has seats on one side so it could make for a very interesting day. LU fans have taken over Georgetown's MSF, Jack Coffey, Johnny Unitas and Christy Matthewson in the past, i could see it happening against Monmouth.

busybee14
July 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Looking foward to seeing the Seahawks match up against Richmond week 2. Alot of young talent brought in this year via mid year transfers (not all can play this year due to transfer rules)and a solid 2010 recruiting class. I am hoping the middle of the road starts to be a thing of the past.
Hopefully come next year(2012) we get our lights in place and can see some night games with the great NYC skyline in the backround.Awesome

DFW HOYA
July 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
LU fans have taken over Georgetown's MSF, Jack Coffey, Johnny Unitas and Christy Matthewson in the past, i could see it happening against Monmouth.

"Taken over?"

The MSF's wooden bleachers (called="visitors seating") hold about 600 and Lehigh fills them better than most do.

Seawolf97
July 4th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Still hoping to see a NEC Team on our schedule going forward. See what happens in 2012?

citdog
July 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
The northeast conference is my LEAST favorite. yankee scum ALL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

UAalum72
July 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Citdog is prooof that Sherman was too tender-hearted.

citdog
July 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Citdog is prooof that Sherman was too tender-hearted.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5HE1RBrVyGs/TY6gWhqUywI/AAAAAAAAELA/hZW-ozi4AjM/s640/Tecumseh+Sherman+Anti-Christ.png

DFW HOYA
July 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM
The northeast conference is my LEAST favorite. yankee scum ALL.

The NEC? Really? The Ivy League doesn't come to mind with marching "music" like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8j2ct_6uUg&feature=related

Model Citizen
July 4th, 2011, 10:51 PM
That was a politically incorrect performance! How many protests afterward?

citdog
July 4th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Really? Citdog must have a soft spot for the Ivy League...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8j2ct_6uUg&feature=related

The Ivy gets a pass for having graduated Mr. John Caldwell Calhoun. xbowx

http://coinagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Confederate-Montgomery-1000.jpg

And for knowing how to say their sorry. 1 min mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUfXFbekqLY

ngineer
July 4th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm interested see what kind of crowd the Lehigh-Monmouth game gets @ MU. I have a feeling Lehigh will have a large turnout given the amount of alums in NJ and momentum gained from last year. Monmouth's stadium only has seats on one side so it could make for a very interesting day. LU fans have taken over Georgetown's MSF, Jack Coffey, Johnny Unitas and Christy Matthewson in the past, i could see it happening against Monmouth.

No question we could out number the homesters. Mucho alums in the central Jersey area, as well as a lot of players being from the area as well.

Go...gate
July 5th, 2011, 01:11 AM
The Ivy gets a pass for having graduated Mr. John Caldwell Calhoun. xbowx

http://coinagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Confederate-Montgomery-1000.jpg

And for knowing how to say their sorry. 1 min mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUfXFbekqLY

Ah, yes, the world famous "Double - Double - Rotating - "P"

MUHAWKS
July 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Monmouth-Lehigh will be a huge crowd (by MU standards) Lots of reasons: #1 first weekend that kids will be in school I think...Classes begin Tuesday, so I imagine kids will start arriving that saturday actually. Who knows. #2 . Its the only game in town that day. Rutgers plays thursday, Princeton does not open for 2 more weeks (against Lehigh ironically). # 3. First game of season in which we are very optimistic and to play a quality opponent like Lehigh will draw even more folks. #4 Its Labor day weekend at the shore, I know 20 people myself who are using this game as a start to the last weekend of Summer at the NJ Shore. It should be close (lehigh/mu fans) MU, we usually draw about 4k people to games and I have seen other teams equal our fans, usually not overtake. As silly as this may sound, this is the biggest home game we have seen since we played San Diego in the Gridiron classis, so biggest reg season game. Although seating is limited, those who have not been to MU for a game are in for a treat as the atmosphere is great. The newly built MAC provides a great "inside" experience for folks getting tickets, roaming around, bookstore etc and the locker rooms (home and away) are second to none. The parking lot is HUGE and tucked right against the Stadium on multiple sides (actually 2-3 distinct tailgating areas) In past years they have added endzone seats at time which will allow for another 500-1000 seats and with the new varsity club, certain fans can watch from above the other end-zone. The PA announcer, cheerleaders and music are all good and the booze is usually flowing. I think Lehigh fans will be pleasantly surprised. Now it will be nothing like Lehigh, I have played against them and also been to a game a a fan and that atmosphere is pretty much tops for the patriot league and even close to Delaware on a relative basis. I cannot wait for this game and it will be damn crowded for sure.. THE WAR AT THE SHORE.