PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report 10 potential FCS vs FBS upset games to watch

bojeta
June 20th, 2011, 12:48 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/737609-college-football-10-games-that-could-go-the-little-guys-way-in-2011/page/7

coover
June 20th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I will be in San Diego again to watch the Mustangs beat the Aztecs for their 3rd straight! Upset? This is no upset! This is one of the natural consequences of choosing to play football on the Central Coast or play on the Tijuana border.

Wildcat80
June 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM
UNH vs Toledo. I expect Decker to be out to prove something and our defense needs to stop the run. UNH needs to get back to beating FBS teams. Toledo is our chance.

dgtw
June 20th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Here's the list so you won't have to go to the websitr.

September 3
Appalachian State at Virginia Tech
New Hampshire at Toledo
Richmond at Duke
Liberty at N.C. State
William & Mary at Virginia
Cal Poly at San Diego State
Eastern Washington at Washington
Montana at Tennessee
Delaware at Navy
September 24
North Dakota State at Minnesota

elon77
June 20th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I know there are many more that could happen, But don't count out Elon on their trip to Nashville to take on Vandy. I believe the Phoenix have a chance to spring an upset.

Redbirdz
June 20th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Don't be too surprised if Jacksonville State gives Kentucky a run for it on October 22. JSU beat Ole Miss last year and was leading Florida State with 35 seconds to go the year before.

eiu1999
June 20th, 2011, 10:09 AM
EIU has Northwestern...so, nope.

cpalum
June 20th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I will be in San Diego again to watch the Mustangs beat the Aztecs for their 3rd straight! Upset? This is no upset! This is one of the natural consequences of choosing to play football on the Central Coast or play on the Tijuana border.

Ill be there as well and living in San Diego I cant tell you how much crap I am hearing about how badly Cal Poly will be beaten (estimated point spreads between 24-50 points!). A bowl winning, nationally ranked team is talking about "revenge" against FCS Cal Poly?!?!?!? We have arrived and with all this fist pumping bs about how badly they will beat them, I think Cal Poly has a chance to upset again (3-0...!). Will the silly Aztecs never learn to take Cal Poly seriously?

elon77
June 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Ill be there as well and living in San Diego I cant tell you how much crap I am hearing about how badly Cal Poly will be beaten (estimated point spreads between 24-50 points!). A bowl winning, nationally ranked team is talking about "revenge" against FCS Cal Poly?!?!?!? We have arrived and with all this fist pumping bs about how badly they will beat them, I think Cal Poly has a chance to upset again (3-0...!). Will the silly Aztecs never learn to take Cal Poly seriously?

I saw your option offense last year, get that sucker clicking I believe you can beat those big fat slow Aztec's.

asu3peat
June 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I know there are many more that could happen, But don't count out Elon on their trip to Nashville to take on Vandy. I believe the Phoenix have a chance to spring an upset.

I know you guys have a new sherriff in town with Swepson so things may be a bit different but Vandy got GSU's DC from last year. I'm sure he's quite familiar with your personnel and won't allow his defense to overlook Elon. Just like I don't see Beamer allowing VT to drop 2 in a row to a FCS squad, I don't see the Phoenix getting by Vandy. Hope I'm wrong on both counts!

bojeta
June 20th, 2011, 03:41 PM

I will be there as well. Talked to the ticket office at CP and they're still working on the details for the rooter train to San Diego. I would prefer to take the train and get a package deal and a great party train on the way. Hopefully a bigger party coming back!!!

apaladin
June 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Some of those I would not consider upsets.

SUUTbird
June 21st, 2011, 01:11 AM
One game that is not on there (but I think should be) is when my Thunderbirds travel to play at UNLV on Sept. 24th. We are returning a good team lead on offense by Pre-Season All American QB Brad Sorensen on offense and Pre-season All American DE/LB Tyler Osborne on defense. The Rebels are coming off a 2-9 campaign that resulted in wins over lowly Wyoming and New Mexico. Have to say I really like our chances at upsetting the Rebels. xthumbsupx

With the games already listed I think Cal Poly, Richmond, New Hampshire and William & Mary have the best chances.

bojeta
June 21st, 2011, 01:24 AM
One game that is not on there (but I think should be) is when my Thunderbirds travel to play at UNLV on Sept. 24th. We are returning a good team lead on offense by Pre-Season All American QB Brad Sorensen on offense and Pre-season All American DE/LB Tyler Osborne on defense. The Rebels are coming off a 2-9 campaign that resulted in wins over lowly Wyoming and New Mexico. Have to say I really like our chances at upsetting the Rebels. xthumbsupx

With the games already listed I think Cal Poly, Richmond, New Hampshire and William & Mary have the best chances.

Perhaps the reason your game with UNLV was not listed is because you're the favorite. I feel you guys have a much better than even chance of beating the Running Rebels and hope that you do. Best of luck!! Uhhh.... I hope my friend who played OL for UNLV doesn't read this. He won't be happy with me!! lol

SpeedkingATL
June 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM
JMU's smackdown of VA Tech will certainly make it impossible for App to sneak up on the Hokies. App has the personel to hang with them so anything can happen. I expect Elon to play Vandy tough too but don't expect the upset.

LeadBolt
June 21st, 2011, 08:58 AM
Since W&M beat UVA 2 years ago, and played UNC 30 points better than UVA last year, a W&M win vs. UVA is possible. On the other hand, the UVA HC had W&M's number when he was at Richmond and there should be an element of payback motivation coming from UVA this time around, so I am guarded in my hopes for an upset of the Cavaliers this year.

msupokes1
June 21st, 2011, 12:07 PM
I don't see McNeese at Kansas on there. Certainly not a sure win for McNeese but I do think it is a winnable game.

Houndawg
June 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Ole Miss isn't going to show SIU any mercy after Jackson State last year.....

andy7171
June 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM
I know it's not going to happen, but if Towson were to beat Maryland this fall, Towson's following in the state would be forever changed. I can dream can't I?

McNeese72
June 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM
Ole Miss isn't going to show SIU any mercy after Jackson State last year.....

Jackson State???? I don't think so.

Doc

Houndawg
June 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
Jackson State???? I don't think so.

Doc

My bad...Jacksonville State. They're still going to take it out on us.

Redbird Ray
June 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Northern Iowa has a shot at Iowa State. I would say Indiana State has a decent chance to win at Western Kentucky as well.

CopperCat
June 23rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
NDSU @ Minnesota, I'll put that one on the radar. NDSU has big physical lineman that give them all kinds of options on both sides of the ball. Just ask Montana State about it, they got outplayed on the line last year in the playoffs.

Montana will not be within three scores of Tennessee at the start of the third quarter. Not enough star power at the skill positions to overcome an SEC defense.

nwFL Griz
June 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Here's the list so you won't have to go to the websitr.

September 3
Appalachian State at Virginia Tech
New Hampshire at Toledo
Richmond at Duke
Liberty at N.C. State
William & Mary at Virginia
Cal Poly at San Diego State
Eastern Washington at Washington
Montana at Tennessee
Delaware at Navy
September 24
North Dakota State at Minnesota

Out of that list there are exactly two which I would give a reasonable chance at an upset. That would be UNH and NDSU. UNH because they just seem to have an extra gear against FBS teams. NDSU because Minnesota is so bad.

Does anyone really think Beamer is going to allow VaTech to underestimate an FCS opponent two years in a row? No chance.
The Richmond/Duke game could be interesting, but I give the edge to Duke because I think Coach Cutcliffe is outstanding.
Liberty has no shot at NCSU.
UVa is improving rapidly and returns a pretty good core from last year. They won't drop this game to W&M.
Regardless of CP previous success against SDSU, this is not the same team. SDSU will win this going away.
EWU, national champs or not, do not have enough to worry the Huskies.
As much as I love my Griz, I feel a blowout coming here. (I hope I am wrong)
Sorry Hens, Navy in a walk.

Year after year I see predictions of upsets, yet aside from one year (2008 I think?) FCS teams are successful against FBS teams about 10% of the time. This year will be no different.

Mountaineer
June 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Does anyone really think Beamer is going to allow VaTech to underestimate an FCS opponent two years in a row?

No. It's why I always laugh when I see these predictions, especially where it concerns ASU. Historically, the Apps never fair well against FBS opponents. Michigan really put on the blinders. xlolx

clenz
June 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
UNI over Iowa State.

Happened in 07, could happen again.

bjtheflamesfan
June 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Out of that list there are exactly two which I would give a reasonable chance at an upset. That would be UNH and NDSU. UNH because they just seem to have an extra gear against FBS teams. NDSU because Minnesota is so bad.

Does anyone really think Beamer is going to allow VaTech to underestimate an FCS opponent two years in a row? No chance.
The Richmond/Duke game could be interesting, but I give the edge to Duke because I think Coach Cutcliffe is outstanding.
Liberty has no shot at NCSU.
UVa is improving rapidly and returns a pretty good core from last year. They won't drop this game to W&M.
Regardless of CP previous success against SDSU, this is not the same team. SDSU will win this going away.
EWU, national champs or not, do not have enough to worry the Huskies.
As much as I love my Griz, I feel a blowout coming here. (I hope I am wrong)
Sorry Hens, Navy in a walk.

Year after year I see predictions of upsets, yet aside from one year (2008 I think?) FCS teams are successful against FBS teams about 10% of the time. This year will be no different.

I might have agreed with you if Russell Wilson had come back. I think Liberty has more of a shot with the change under center. Liberty also went up against a pretty good rushing team in Ball State last year (who had womped another FCS team, Southeast Missouri State, who went on to make the playoffs last year) and got the win