PDA

View Full Version : If WAC dies, New Mexico State to Southland?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2011, 09:42 AM
http://saturdayblitz.com/2011/06/14/how-conferences-die-wac-dii-reminders-of-footballs-small-money-side/

Should these next two years serve merely as the conference’s epilogue, the fate of the seven 2012 members is murky. La. Tech seems the most safe, with a natural spot in the Sun Belt just waiting once South Alabama joins. But for everyone else, there’s a lot of uncertainty.

The MWC already balked once at adding Utah State. San Jose State would make sense as a Big Sky member, both economically and to give that conference an even number of members (it will be at 13 when new additions UCD, Cal Poly, North Dakota, and Southern Utah come on board). Idaho would have to be another possibility for the Big Sky — the Vandals are former members and would make an obvious travel partner for Eastern Washington.

New Mexico State could assume the position Texas State freed up in the Southland. But would any want to drop down to FCS? It may be the only option as none have budgets or profiles big enough to consider independence.

TSU and UTSA are in the most precarious positions. Both are joining FBS on the promise of having a conference with which to share revenue and guarantee games. Why, UTSA is just starting its program on this presumed future. Are their FBS memberships experiments doomed to fail, or will the Sun Belt expand to 13 or 14 teams?

Speculation to be sure, but a fascinating read and also one that puts Fullerton's comments in an interesting perspective.

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Why is the Southland being brought up as an option for New Mexico State?

While they may be interested if they were to drop to FCS - I would think they would prefer a move to the Sun Belt (and they left amicably) compared to a move to the SLC. NMSU has struggled in football - but they do have some great FBS relationships (UTEP, UNM) which definitely go a long way in assisting them remain FBS.

LouiseBFree
June 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
From what I'm hearing from the recent Southland meetings, some attendees were shocked to learn of some schools the league office has been talking to. And they were not the usual assumed names that get mentioned on these boards.

Why is the Southland being brought up as an option for New Mexico State?

While they may be interested if they were to drop to FCS - I would think they would prefer a move to the Sun Belt (and they left amicably) compared to a move to the SLC. NMSU has struggled in football - but they do have some great FBS relationships (UTEP, UNM) which definitely go a long way in assisting them remain FBS.

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2011, 10:02 AM
From what I'm hearing from the recent Southland meetings, some attendees were shocked to learn of some schools the league office has been talking to. And they were not the usual assumed names that get mentioned on these boards.

Commissioner Burnett indicated as much in his Q&A...

I really think schools are taking finances into mind when it comes to their alignment and that starts with travel, missed class time, etc. We know Houston Baptist, and UT-Pan American really want into the league - but I've always wondered why Oral Roberts has never expressed an interest and if UALR would be pushed from the Sun Belt. Not sure on football schools, though we know Abilene Christian is curious.

Perhaps UL-Monroe? They cannot afford FBS...

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Most would go as independents, much like the Patriot schools if that league were to falter.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Most would go as independents, much like the Patriot schools if that league were to falter.

But that's just it - how long, realistically, could these schools be independents at the FBS level? They would have zero chance at bowls, let alone BCS ones. They would have no sugar daddy TV contract to prop them up. They'd have to get guarantee games to pay the bills - and that works, maybe, up until mid-October or November. Late-season games are a near impossibility to put together. And to fill the schedule, it's very likely that FCS opponents they'd play, which they'd have to pay via guarantees.

Note that survival at the FBS level as an independent requires bowl access and TV money. New Mexico State would have neither.

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM
But that's just it - how long, realistically, could these schools be independents at the FBS level? They would have zero chance at bowls, let alone BCS ones. They would have no sugar daddy TV contract to prop them up. They'd have to get guarantee games to pay the bills - and that works, maybe, up until mid-October or November. Late-season games are a near impossibility to put together. And to fill the schedule, it's very likely that FCS opponents they'd play, which they'd have to pay via guarantees.

Note that survival at the FBS level as an independent requires bowl access and TV money. New Mexico State would have neither.

Hmm...

While it may be a bit of a stretch, the Aggies may have a possibility to sell their TV rights regionally. There aren't any professional teams in that state and their only competition would be the University of New Mexico. They could also seek out a contract with the organizers behind one of the bowl games like the New Mexico Bowl and similar.

The likelihood of this happening may be slim but you never really know how these things will play out.

DG Cowboy
June 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
The rivalry between NMSU and UNM is so intense there is no way they would drop down while UNM remains FBS. No way. Old dogs at McNeese would surely like another shot at them.

Sec310
June 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Commissioner Burnett indicated as much in his Q&A...

I really think schools are taking finances into mind when it comes to their alignment and that starts with travel, missed class time, etc. We know Houston Baptist, and UT-Pan American really want into the league - but I've always wondered why Oral Roberts has never expressed an interest and if UALR would be pushed from the Sun Belt. Not sure on football schools, though we know Abilene Christian is curious.

Perhaps UL-Monroe? They cannot afford FBS...

Southland Commissioner's Q & A: http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205160131

We know the Southland is losing two schools to the WAC, but gain Lamar, which will make a seven team football conference.

Are there any other FCS schools that would make sense for the Southland?

GeauxLions94
June 18th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Southland Commissioner's Q & A: http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205160131

We know the Southland is losing two schools to the WAC, but gain Lamar, which will make a seven team football conference.

Are there any other FCS schools that would make sense for the Southland?

The Southland is only losing Texas State in football, and with addition of Lamar beginning in 2011 it's still an eight-team league. Texas State is not eligible for the Southland Conference title or FCS playoffs in 2011 since they are in the transition to FBS (will have 74 schollies this year before increasing to 85 in 2012).

UTSA has not/will not play a down in the Southland. You must have meant FBS schools (don't see any FCS schools leaving one conference to join the Southland, but you never can tell).

Some of the previous posts mention that NMSU would not move down to FCS. Don't think that would happen especially with New Mexico being its in-state rival and UTEP just down the road. If any FBS school makes the move down, it's ULM. They've struggled as a whole department since moving to FBS. They've had their share of name wins (i.e. Alabama), but they've also played the role of Little Sisters of the Poor the majority of their FBS existence.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM
The Southland is only losing Texas State in football, and with addition of Lamar beginning in 2011 it's still an eight-team league. Texas State is not eligible for the Southland Conference title or FCS playoffs in 2011 since they are in the transition to FBS (will have 74 schollies this year before increasing to 85 in 2012).

UTSA has not/will not play a down in the Southland. You must have meant FBS schools (don't see any FCS schools leaving one conference to join the Southland, but you never can tell).

Some of the previous posts mention that NMSU would not move down to FCS. Don't think that would happen especially with New Mexico being its in-state rival and UTEP just down the road. If any FBS school makes the move down, it's ULM. They've struggled as a whole department since moving to FBS. They've had their share of name wins (i.e. Alabama), but they've also played the role of Little Sisters of the Poor the majority of their FBS existence.

Having eight teams is not ideal for football... but seems the SLC folks want to only expand to nine if it's the ideal fit. I'd prefer going back to four home and four away games in order to help the league make the playoffs with multiple teams. We'll see what happens with ULM. They are in a bad situation and it is only going to get worse...

SUUTbird
June 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
The University of Northern Alabama has made the choice to begin moving up to the FCS ranks and chances are they will go, and would make a very good fit for the Southland conference:

http://www.una.edu/pressroom/detail.php?id=438&date=2011-06-13

GeauxLions94
June 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
The University of Northern Alabama has made the choice to begin moving up to the FCS ranks and chances are they will go, and would make a very good fit for the Southland conference:

http://www.una.edu/pressroom/detail.php?id=438&date=2011-06-13

With a bunch of OVC schools close by (mainly Jax State, Tenn Tech, APSU, UTM, Tennessee State), it would be ideal for North Alabama to go that route for conference affiliation. The Southland did have Jacksonville State and Troy State (since dropped the State) a few years ago, but Troy made the move to FCS (Sun Belt) while Jacksonville State (and Samford) were admitted into the OVC.

If the OVC were to say no, then the next logical choice would be the Southern (Samford and Chattanooga would be closest rivals).

katstrapper
June 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I have always thought that the Sun Belch Conference was one of the worst football conferences in the country. Can now put the WAC in that position. With all the rumors that SHSU or Lamar would be on their radar, I sure hope the SHSU brass would turn down any offer from the WAC if it was to come to that. I personally dont think the WAC is going to survive once those other schools leave.

aust42
June 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM
It appears that the WAC's days are numbered. What are Texas State and the other new school that has never even played football before going to do when the WAC folds?

DG Cowboy
June 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I have always thought that the Sun Belch Conference was one of the worst football conferences in the country. Can now put the WAC in that position. With all the rumors that SHSU or Lamar would be on their radar, I sure hope the SHSU brass would turn down any offer from the WAC if it was to come to that. I personally dont think the WAC is going to survive once those other schools leave.

So just what does the Sam family want? I was under the impression that everyone would leave SFA and the Ark-La brethren behind in heartbeat.

Cocky
June 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
It appears that the WAC's days are numbered. What are Texas State and the other new school that has never even played football before going to do when the WAC folds?
Go east for teams.