PDA

View Full Version : Admin of HBCUs

TexasTerror
March 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM
You catch a lot of flak for some of your post...most view you as being anti-SWAC in particular and anti-HBCU in particular. When your post always seem to have a negative slant...just like this one, you give validity to that opinion!:nono:

Having worked at an HBCU, having done contract work for another, I got no problem with the SWAC or HBCUs outside of the administration of the conference and the schools themselves...

mikebigg
March 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Having worked at an HBCU, having done contract work for another, I got no problem with the SWAC or HBCUs outside of the administration of the conference and the schools themselves...

Huh? "and the schools themselves"... smh!

March 12th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Huh? "and the schools themselves"... smh!What's up mike? he said he has a prob with the admin...

please folks, no smack, just discussion...

What's the problem TT?

Bub
March 12th, 2006, 11:41 PM
TT can talk for himself, but I read his comment to mean he has a problem with administration of the conferences and administration of the schools, not the schools themselves. :twocents: I'll butt out now.

March 12th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I have a feeling, after years of reading messageboards that TT is not the only one who has a problem with the admin...

Actually, everybody on messageboards seems to have a bit to complain about everything. That's the beauty of boards.

gram4life
March 13th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Then why post stuff regarding Bruce in a neg. slant. What does someone giving props to Bruce have to do with the administration of the SWAC or a SWAC school. Why mislead the reader with lies about SWAC schools not playing anyone outside of the HBCU world. Just wondering because your post are not directed at the SWAC admin or the SWAC schools admin.

March 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Then why post stuff regarding Bruce...I've not read anything about Bruce in this thread until you mentioned it... This thread is about Admin of HBCUs ...

TexasTerror
March 13th, 2006, 06:59 AM
TT can talk for himself, but I read his comment to mean he has a problem with administration of the conferences and administration of the schools, not the schools themselves. :twocents: I'll butt out now.

Correct...

I feel the admins of the SWAC and their schools are "holding their teams" hostage. The SWAC admins are always touting a strong product in various sports. Well in baseball, basketball and even bowling, they let their product compete against the best in the postseason, they are not doing that in football. See that resolution from the folks at Harvard (was it Harvard?) by the student government to end the Ivy League ban? That was nice!

As Ric Flair said, "to be the best, you got to beat the best...WOOOOO". The SWAC refuses to play the best. That "nine-game mandate" holds their teams hostages from doing so, especially when typically these teams have 'Classics' in the early-goings against fellow conference schools (i.e Labor Day Classic), forcing them to get non-conference games in November, when no one else is looking thereby handcuffing them. The SWAC should help out their schools at the very least play I-AA competition by pushing conference back (outside of a few very traditional Classics).

Then you have a sport like basketball where the SWAC schools administration ignores the wishes of the conference. They put $$$ over competing and having a solid product. Everyone knows it takes getting some wins. Granted, everyone needs to play a guaranteed game or three, but going through "murderer's row" each year and having just about every SWAC team with just a few wins (typically against other bottom feeder conferences or sub-Div I teams), how does that benefit? Winning breeds success. Play some more winnable games!

rokamortis
March 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Correct...

I feel the admins of the SWAC and their schools are "holding their teams" hostage. The SWAC admins are always touting a strong product in various sports. Well in baseball, basketball and even bowling, they let their product compete against the best in the postseason, they are not doing that in football. See that resolution from the folks at Harvard (was it Harvard?) by the student government to end the Ivy League ban? That was nice!

As Ric Flair said, "to be the best, you got to beat the best...WOOOOO". The SWAC refuses to play the best. That "nine-game mandate" holds their teams hostages from doing so, especially when typically these teams have 'Classics' in the early-goings against fellow conference schools (i.e Labor Day Classic), forcing them to get non-conference games in November, when no one else is looking thereby handcuffing them. The SWAC should help out their schools at the very least play I-AA competition by pushing conference back (outside of a few very traditional Classics).

Then you have a sport like basketball where the SWAC schools administration ignores the wishes of the conference. They put $$$ over competing and having a solid product. Everyone knows it takes getting some wins. Granted, everyone needs to play a guaranteed game or three, but going through "murderer's row" each year and having just about every SWAC team with just a few wins (typically against other bottom feeder conferences or sub-Div I teams), how does that benefit? Winning breeds success. Play some more winnable games!

small correction - "To be the man, you gotta BEAT the man!" :smiley_wi

TexasTerror
March 13th, 2006, 07:36 AM
small correction - "To be the man, you gotta BEAT the man!" :smiley_wi

Wow, what was I thinking?!? :bang:

Thanks! Your right in Nature Boy country, so I'd hope you'd know...

HIU 93
March 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM
The last time I checked, there were 9 schools in the SWAC. There are 114 HBCUs. If you have a problem with only the SWAC, then your title is misleading. The truth is, you have some sort of irrational dislike of all HBCUs. You also have some sort of twisted thinking that makes you think that HBCU alums are just going to sit back and let you attack our schools and conferences without any retort. If you hate us so much, fine. Just say that. Be honest. Your tirades against HBCUs don't endear you to HBCU fans, alumni, students, or administration (the one's you always claim to be so concerned about helping). HBCUs aren't perfect, but neither are predominantly white institutions. HBCUs have competent pepole running them, as do predominantly white institutions. The administrators at HBCUs are capable of running their schools, as are those at predominantly white institutions. In other words, they don't need your help. Here's the real reason you did not get along well with your bosses/co-workers at the two HBCUs you worked for- racism. Yours is the worst type of racism; the old paternalistic "Blacks aren't smart or competent enough to take care of themselves, I have to take care of them" mentality. No matter what you think, Blacks aren't stupid. We are smart enough not only to take care of ourselves, but also to recognize when folk don't have our best interest at heart. That is why it didn't work out. You wear your contempt like a shirt, and your bosses and co-workers could see it clearly. I've never met you, and I can see it just through the words you write. Here's the deal- whatever prioblems an HBCU has, that HBCU can handle them. We don't need or want your help. We can take care of ourselves. I hope you can understand that.

TexasTerror
March 13th, 2006, 08:13 AM
The last time I checked, there were 9 schools in the SWAC. There are 114 HBCUs. If you have a problem with only the SWAC, then your title is misleading. The truth is, you have some sort of irrational dislike of all HBCUs.

I did not come up with the topic. This post I had initially made got siphoned off from another post and the "mysterious mods" made a topic and named it himself. It is about the SWAC admins and school admins within the conference.

Here's the real reason you did not get along well with your bosses/co-workers at the two HBCUs you worked for- racism. Yours is the worst type of racism; the old paternalistic "Blacks aren't smart or competent enough to take care of themselves, I have to take care of them" mentality. No matter what you think, Blacks aren't stupid. We are smart enough not only to take care of ourselves, but also to recognize when folk don't have our best interest at heart. That is why it didn't work out. You wear your contempt like a shirt, and your bosses and co-workers could see it clearly. I've never met you, and I can see it just through the words you write. Here's the deal- whatever prioblems an HBCU has, that HBCU can handle them. We don't need or want your help. We can take care of ourselves. I hope you can understand that.

I didn't work out because of racism? Hardly. I did not work out because my job went down with the storms this year. I enjoyed each and every person I worked with at this institution. I was respected and while being one of the lone minorities, including the lone minority in my department, I felt comfortable. I've always been a big minority whether it a white employee at an HBCU, a Jew at a 'Bible Belt' university (at a place in which the administration even discouraged active Jewish students) or what not. Being a minority is no big deal, never had a problem with it at all.

Now granted that when I did contract work, I had a completely different experience. It was night and day between what I was used to. This school had no clue how to run a Div I sporting event, but that was just an awful administration in place -- in which if given the chance, I could save them money. I'm sorry, but when I get there an hour before an event to make sure I can do the job your paying me to do, your not doing your responsibility and I'm not even setup to do my task til 10 minutes into a game despite being on your tail for an hour before, that's ridiculous.

And that's just like pulling out the "racism" card is pretty ridiculous. Man, I've been a minority in many situations. I've excelled in all of those situations whether as a student (named 'Most Outstanding Male Student') or in the work force (overcame shortcomings in the contract job, got more publicity for the HBCU's athletic program in a few weeks than they had over the course of a year for non-BKB sports).

Catmendue2
March 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=HIU 93]The last time I checked, there were 9 schools in the SWAC. There are 114 HBCUs. If you have a problem with only the SWAC, then your title is misleading. The truth is, you have some sort of irrational dislike of all HBCUs. You also have some sort of twisted thinking that makes you think that HBCU alums are just going to sit back and let you attack our schools and conferences without any retort. If you hate us so much, fine. Just say that. Be honest. Your tirades against HBCUs don't endear you to HBCU fans, alumni, students, or administration (the one's you always claim to be so concerned about helping). HBCUs aren't perfect, but neither are predominantly white institutions. HBCUs have competent pepole running them, as do predominantly white institutions. The administrators at HBCUs are capable of running their schools, as are those at predominantly white institutions. In other words, they don't need your help. Here's the real reason you did not get along well with your bosses/co-workers at the two HBCUs you worked for- racism. Yours is the worst type of racism; the old paternalistic "Blacks aren't smart or competent enough to take care of themselves, I have to take care of them" mentality. No matter what you think, Blacks aren't stupid. We are smart enough not only to take care of ourselves, but also to recognize when folk don't have our best interest at heart. That is why it didn't work out. You wear your contempt like a shirt, and your bosses and co-workers could see it clearly. I've never met you, and I can see it just through the words you write. Here's the deal- whatever prioblems an HBCU has, that HBCU can handle them. We don't need or want your help. We can take care of ourselves. I hope you can understand that.[/QUOTE}

You are so correct. Its only smack when we(HBCU supporters) don't agree with what he writes.

Catmendue2
March 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I did not come up with the topic. This post I had initially made got siphoned off from another post and Ralph made a topic and named it himself. It is about the SWAC admins and school admins within the conference.

I didn't work out because of racism? Hardly. I did not work out because my job went down with the storms this year. I enjoyed each and every person I worked with at this institution. I was respected and while being one of the lone minorities, including the lone minority in my department, I felt comfortable. I've always been a big minority whether it a white employee at an HBCU, a Jew at a 'Bible Belt' university (at a place in which the administration even discouraged active Jewish students) or what not. Being a minority is no big deal, never had a problem with it at all.

Now granted that when I did contract work, I had a completely different experience. It was night and day between what I was used to. This school had no clue how to run a Div I sporting event, but that was just an awful administration in place -- in which if given the chance, I could save them money. I'm sorry, but when I get there an hour before an event to make sure I can do the job your paying me to do, your not doing your responsibility and I'm not even setup to do my task til 10 minutes into a game despite being on your tail for an hour before, that's ridiculous.

And that's just like pulling out the "racism" card is pretty ridiculous. Man, I've been a minority in many situations. I've excelled in all of those situations whether as a student (named 'Most Outstanding Male Student') or in the work force (overcame shortcomings in the contract job, got more publicity for the HBCU's athletic program in a few weeks than they had over the course of a year for non-BKB sports).

So what minority are you leading now?

March 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM
So what minority are you leading now?Do you specifically have anything to add to the conversation on this topic?

Catmendue2
March 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Do you specifically have anything to add to the conversation on this topic?

What is the topic? The author of the thread is the problem. So reap what you sow.

March 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Admin of HBCUs

Catmendue2
March 13th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admin of HBCUs

Oh, the one that nobody over here knows anything about. I got it now.

March 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Oh, the one that nobody over here knows anything about...Does that include you, MikeB, SUJAG, bluedog, me, jstate, Jafus, HU, etc.?

TexasTerror
March 13th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Does that include you, MikeB, SUJAG, bluedog, me, jstate, Jafus, HU, etc.?

Jafus knows about SWAC admins. He's provided some great commentary and insight into how things are done with some of the HBCUs...namely the SWAC. He truly is a "thinker"...

bigbluetiger
March 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I'm so glad that no one makes "blanket" statements on this board.

TexasTerror
March 13th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm so glad that no one makes "blanket" statements on this board.

No finger on shame on the MEAC...until they pull out of football playoffs and/or shove something down our throat like a "mandate" and championship game like the SWAC...

Post was not about HBCUs in general, it was taken that way, then I got called racist...:nono:

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 13th, 2006, 10:02 PM
shove something down our throat like a "mandate" and championship game like the SWAC...

Nobody shoves anything down your throat. If you don't like it don't watch or attend any of our games.

March 13th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Nobody shoves anything down your throat. If you don't like it don't watch or attend any of our games.So you are in favor of the "mandate" and championship game? :confused:

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 14th, 2006, 02:13 AM
So you are in favor of the "mandate" and championship game? :confused:
If things stay the way they are now my answer is yes.

Mr. Tiger
March 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM
My problem TT is NOT that you post a lot of different items. That's actually good reading. But my problem is that you are so negative about the SWAC without doing any research. For example, when you posted that Alabama State's QB Tarvaris Jackson must have been "a secret" and Jackson is rated higher by NFL experts than Grambling State's Bruce Eugene who was supposed to be "All-World." If you knew anything about SWAC football you would have known about T. Jackson. So that brings me to the topic of this thread, "How do you know the challenges SWAC schools and their adminstration face when you don't even know about the football programs and its star players?"

For one thing, you have to understand who truly controls the adminstration of many of the HBCUs in the South. In Mississippi, the school presidents are selected by a state college board, which currently has few members who graduated from an HBCU. Although the college board does a fairly good job, often Jackson State, Alcorn State, and Mississippi Valley State get school presidents who are not from the state and are unfamilar with how important football is to our alumni and fans. These presidents often look at football as a way to fund the rest of the non-revenue generating sports (golf, bowling, tennis, etc..) and they see more fans in the stands when they play another SWAC school than if they play Sam Houston State at home. And remember schools like Jackson State, Alcorn and Valley have been underfunded for years so the presidents are much more concerned about academics than athletics.

Catmendue2
March 14th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Jafus knows about SWAC admins. He's provided some great commentary and insight into how things are done with some of the HBCUs...namely the SWAC. He truly is a "thinker"...

Yeah, but Jafus comes with information he has direct knowledge of. You come from the top of your head and assume we don't know the difference.