PDA

View Full Version : Fullerton: Would Like to Extend Invites to USU & Idaho

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Some tweets...

Big Sky Commish Doug Fullerton tells the Tribune that the WAC has contacted - and been turned down - by at least six of his schools

(Credit: http://twitter.com/#!/TonyAggieville/status/80755137928372225)

Montana, Cal-Poly, Cal-Davis, Sacramento State and Portland State are amongst the schools to reject WAC overtures, Fullerton says

(Credit: http://twitter.com/#!/TonyAggieville/status/80755405755662336)

Fullerton says he would like to extend invites to Utah State and Idaho....the plot thickens

(Credit: http://twitter.com/#!/TonyAggieville/status/80755884178931712)

Lehigh Football Nation
June 14th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Holy cow! Is he serious?

sikolec
June 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Very interesting. As Cal Poly enters the Big Sky in 2012, I would love to see the Big Sky add Utah St. and Idaho.

Would those two teams really drop down to FCS football for the Big Sky? Hard to believe.

Or perhaps the Big Sky is making an attempt to join the FBS and force the WAC to drop down?

Hypothetically:

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
Utah State
UC Davis
Weber State

Geographically it makes a lot of sense. Sitting at 15 if Utah State and Idaho were to accept. Of course, there is also the plot about North Dakota and whether they are willing to drop their beloved nickname. Oh the drama!

Twentysix
June 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
The big sky would have to cut tons of schools that have crappy facilities.

There are only 6 schools that could even fudge to hit attendance numbers. This is assuming these 6 schools could afford 40 more scholarships + the female sports startup costs and annual increase in sustaining a larger athletic budget.

Weber St, Sac St, Portland St, Northern AZ, Mont St, Mont. So now they have an 8 school conference that isnt really any better than the WAC...

Cal Poly 11075
Eastern Washington 11702
Idaho Already FBS
Idaho State 12000
Montana 25203
Montana State 20000
North Dakota 13500
Northern Arizona 15000
Northern Colorado 6500
Portland State 20000
Sacramento State 21195
Southern Utah 6200
Utah State Already FBS
UC Davis 10367
Weber State 17500

Capacity source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Conference

ncbears
June 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
The big sky would have to cut tons of schools that have crappy facilities.

There are only 6 schools that could even fudge to hit attendance numbers. This is assuming these 6 schools could afford 40 more scholarships + the female sports startup costs and annual increase in sustaining a larger athletic budget.

Weber St, Sac St, Portland St, Northern AZ, Mont St, Mont. So now they have an 8 school conference that isnt really any better than the WAC...

Cal Poly 11075
Eastern Washington 11702
Idaho Already FBS
Idaho State 12000
Montana 25203
Montana State 20000
North Dakota 13500
Northern Arizona 15000
Northern Colorado 6500
Portland State 20000
Sacramento State 21195
Southern Utah 6200
Utah State Already FBS
UC Davis 10367
Weber State 17500

Capacity source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_Conference

Those capacity numbers are not correct.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 14th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Those capacity numbers are not correct.

Yes they are.

cpalum
June 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Cal Poly's AD recently (this week) stated that his number one priority is the completion of Spanos Stadium. When completed it will bring capacity somewhere between 22,000-26,000.

ncbears
June 14th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Yes they are.

Nottingham Field is NOT 6500. It's 8500.

http://uncbears.com/information/facilities/athletic_facilities

Eastern Washington is NOT 11702. It's 8600.
http://www.goeags.com/facilities/ewas-roos.html
Southern Utah is NOT 6200. It's 8500.
http://www.suutbirds.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20100&ATCLID=1302655

bojeta
June 15th, 2011, 12:07 AM
WAC won't seem to let go of the idea of adding MT, MT State, Sac State, Cal Poly etc. in spite of repeated rebuffs. Two questions come to mind: Why are they leaving Davis out of the discussion now? Was Davis the only school to give them a "REAL" NO!! The WAC's latest is that they need to give these school a year or so to solve some problems and then officially invite them. I can't imagine Sac or Poly would want to join without such a traditional rival as Davis. It would be a crime both in regards to tradition and in a geographic/economic sense. BTW, in a very non-scientific survey (N=20 so far) Poly fans favor a move to the WAC by 60% only under the condition that both Sac and Davis make the move as well.

bojeta
June 15th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Cal Poly's AD recently (this week) stated that his number one priority is the completion of Spanos Stadium. When completed it will bring capacity somewhere between 22,000-26,000.

Read that article and was happy to see the commitment. Now all we need are the dollars!! :) Somewhere between 30 and 50 million should do it!!

Twentysix
June 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I was not trying to say the big sky is a bad league the big sky is a good league it just is not even close to being ready to be an fbs league even if you add 2 teams are already fbs

bandit
June 15th, 2011, 09:15 AM
This is just gamesmanship by Fullerton, tweaking Benson for repeatedly contacting his membership about the WAC. He knows there is zero chance that Utah State or Idaho joins the Big Sky.

My guess is that those Big Sky schools are waiting to see if the WAC can survive and get a somewhat decent TV deal. They know the WAC is their only path to FBS, and several of them are likely to make that move eventually, once they are able to do so financially.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
http://saturdayblitz.com/2011/06/14/how-conferences-die-wac-dii-reminders-of-footballs-small-money-side/

Should these next two years serve merely as the conference’s epilogue, the fate of the seven 2012 members is murky. La. Tech seems the most safe, with a natural spot in the Sun Belt just waiting once South Alabama joins. But for everyone else, there’s a lot of uncertainty.

The MWC already balked once at adding Utah State. San Jose State would make sense as a Big Sky member, both economically and to give that conference an even number of members (it will be at 13 when new additions UCD, Cal Poly, North Dakota, and Southern Utah come on board). Idaho would have to be another possibility for the Big Sky — the Vandals are former members and would make an obvious travel partner for Eastern Washington.

New Mexico State could assume the position Texas State freed up in the Southland. But would any want to drop down to FCS? It may be the only option as none have budgets or profiles big enough to consider independence.

TSU and UTSA are in the most precarious positions. Both are joining FBS on the promise of having a conference with which to share revenue and guarantee games. Why, UTSA is just starting its program on this presumed future. Are their FBS memberships experiments doomed to fail, or will the Sun Belt expand to 13 or 14 teams?

Speculation to be sure, but a fascinating read and also one that puts Fullerton's comments in an interesting perspective.

darell1976
June 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM
So how many teams does Fullerton want in the Big Sky??

jayhawkdaddy
June 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Makes sense to me! IDAHO needs to be back in the conference with ISU and Montana. U State would fit in great with WSU. Big Sky will make the jump together as a conference to FBS.

TheBisonator
June 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Makes sense to me! IDAHO needs to be back in the conference with ISU and Montana. U State would fit in great with WSU. Big Sky will make the jump together as a conference to FBS.

The MVFC would do that before the Big Sky ever would.

bojeta
June 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Here's a thought (just a thought so don't get angry): The WAC is falling apart for sure. Rather than the WAC calling the shots and stealing from other conferences, how about Davis, SAC, CP and San Jose take the remainder of the WAC and resurrect the Big West Conference. It's already DI so not waiting period, several members are now and others were members in other sports at one time. Strong impetus for Fullerton, Northridge, Long Beach, UCSB etc to reinstate football, but if they don't, the conference is still viable..... Hey! Just a thought!! Could look immediately like this: SJ, CP, Davis, Sac, Idaho, Idaho State, San Antonio, Texas St etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Here's a thought (just a thought so don't get angry): The WAC is falling apart for sure. Rather than the WAC calling the shots and stealing from other conferences, how about Davis, SAC, CP and San Jose take the remainder of the WAC and resurrect the Big West Conference. It's already DI so not waiting period, several members are now and others were members in other sports at one time. Strong impetus for Fullerton, Northridge, Long Beach, UCSB etc to reinstate football, but if they don't, the conference is still viable..... Hey! Just a thought!! Could look immediately like this: SJ, CP, Davis, Sac, Idaho, Idaho State, San Antonio, Texas St etc.

That's a real interesting idea. More interesting as a FCS conference than an FBS one, however.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 15th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Nottingham Field is NOT 6500. It's 8500.

http://uncbears.com/information/facilities/athletic_facilities

Eastern Washington is NOT 11702. It's 8600.
http://www.goeags.com/facilities/ewas-roos.html
Southern Utah is NOT 6200. It's 8500.
http://www.suutbirds.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20100&ATCLID=1302655

See how easy that was? You could have easily done that in the first place instead of just throwing out the "those aren't accurate".xlolx

This way we know exactly what you are referring to and why the are inaccurate so thanks for filling in the missing/incorrect info. even if you needed the prompt to do so. It makes what you are talking about a lot more understandable for the reader.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM
WAC won't seem to let go of the idea of adding MT, MT State, Sac State, Cal Poly etc. in spite of repeated rebuffs. Two questions come to mind: Why are they leaving Davis out of the discussion now? Was Davis the only school to give them a "REAL" NO!! The WAC's latest is that they need to give these school a year or so to solve some problems and then officially invite them. I can't imagine Sac or Poly would want to join without such a traditional rival as Davis. It would be a crime both in regards to tradition and in a geographic/economic sense. BTW, in a very non-scientific survey (N=20 so far) Poly fans favor a move to the WAC by 60% only under the condition that both Sac and Davis make the move as well.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/06/14/wac-expansion-seattle-joins-more-schools-to-follow/

Based on conversations with sources, both before and after Tuesday’s announcement, the league has IDed the following football schools as potential expansion targets:

Louisiana Lafayette, North Texas, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Cal Poly, Sacramento State, Montana and Montana State.

I know, I know: Montana has already spurned the WAC. But the jump from FCS to FBS is partly about economics, and Benson believes he’ll have more options a year from now, perhaps including Montana.

(Certainly, Lamar and Sam Houston State are not ready to make the jump right now.)

“The state of the economy didn’t allow FCS (schools) to make the decision,” Benson said.

Talk about a pudding without a theme. Poly/Sac without Davis. UL-Laf without UL-Monroe. North Texas, despite the fact that they've denied the WAC more times than Montana/Montana State has.

And: blaming the state of the economy for the lack of FCS interest? Talk about a line of bull.

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Big Sky Commish: "We're in a better place than the WAC is."

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/06/15/bmurphy/big_sky_commish_were_a_better_place_wac#ixzz1PN6G4 T3c

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Fullerton said WAC members Idaho and Utah State would be ideal members of his league and said he is exploring creative ways to lure the two schools. Idaho was a member of the Big Sky from its 1963 inception until 1996.

"If down the road something happens that those guys understand and realize they can't catch the big guys and there's something else we can do that makes sense and bring some efficiencies back to the budgets of those schools ... Utah State and Idaho are the right kind of schools," Fullerton said.

Idaho and Utah State have not expressed an interest in moving to the Big Sky.

He added: "If there was a creative way that I could allow them to continue their FBS-ness and get this all put together, that's the direction I would take."

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/06/15/bmurphy/big_sky_commish_were_a_better_place_wac#ixzz1PNLOj lyv

This is fascinating stuff.

Jimmer
June 16th, 2011, 04:26 AM

Love it. Throw in PSU and NAU too. But the BW commish and Fullerton and Long Beach will never, ever, go for it.

bojeta
June 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Love it. Throw in PSU and NAU too. But the BW commish and Fullerton and Long Beach will never, ever, go for it.

I know the DA's and Presidents at Fullerton and LB are currently dead set against bringing back football, but if the latest NCAA fiscal report holds true, then they might be forced to drop their argument about it being too costly. Still, I know it's a long shot, but one gaining in student and community backing each year in spite of the economy.

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2011, 06:10 PM
More from Fullerton... he clarifies his comments and lays out some more...

"I know that 6 of our teams have contacted by the WAC. 3 more have been talked with in a more casual way."

http://www.theupsetblog.com/2011/06/recap-of-big-sky-commissioner-on-hawaii.html

bojeta
June 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I know the DA's and Presidents at Fullerton and LB are currently dead set against bringing back football, but if the latest NCAA fiscal report holds true, then they might be forced to drop their argument about it being too costly. Still, I know it's a long shot, but one gaining in student and community backing each year in spite of the economy.

Although I'm sure you're all on top of this, with the discussion about Mr. Fullerton going on, I should always use the full Cal State Fullerton when referring to the university.

GeauxLions94
June 16th, 2011, 06:24 PM
On WAC invitations: "You don't have to get married just because someone proposes."

"I didn't say we were better than the WAC, but that we are competitive with them."

First quote is funny ... BSC is better than WAC as a whole

Sec310
June 17th, 2011, 01:24 AM

None of those schools are bringing back football. LB's AD said football is not being given any thought!! Plus the fee referendum failed!! Where would they get the money to start football?

I Bleed Purple
June 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Utah State would NEVER join the Big Sky. Never. Never. Never, ever. They'd disband football rather than join the Big Sky. They consider themselves WAY too superior to Weber State to ever be in the same league as us.

ASU_Fanatic
June 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM
The WAC should just became the EAC and put ASU, GSU, JMU, etc in a new FBS conference.

ncbears
June 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Utah State would NEVER join the Big Sky. Never. Never. Never, ever. They'd disband football rather than join the Big Sky. They consider themselves WAY too superior to Weber State to ever be in the same league as us.

Probably the same could be said of Idaho as well.

SF State Gaters
July 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM
it's frustrating how intransigent some of these really poor FCS teams can be in terms of their regard for the Big Sky. I am surprised that Fullerton singled out Utah State and Idaho and left out New Mexico State and San Jose State, two teams that in many ways would make better options than the others; Utah State just won a Beehive Boot, and Idaho recently went to the Humanitarian Bowl. SJSU and NMst. are so well-removed from winning records.... well, maybe that's why Fullerton left them out. At any rate, the stigma against moving to FCS is ridiculous, particularly when you're going 1-11 or 2-10 every season, and consider it a solid season if you get to 5-7...

TexasTerror
July 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Updated comments from Fullerton...

"When I invite Utah State and Idaho to join the Big Sky," he says, "I'm basically about 40 percent serious and 60 percent trying to make a point. The point is they always talk about taking our teams. Why would our teams go?"

With 13 football playing schools in 2012, Big Sky teams will have three to four postseason opportunities in football, compared to one for WAC schools.

"We can win championships; they're going to compete against $140 million (athletic budgets)," Fullerton told a group of about 30 people at the Lindquist Alumni Center on Thursday in an event sponsored by the WSU Young Alumni Association. "I'm fearful for their ability to do that. So yeah, I'm half-serious when I invite them in."

http://standard.net/topics/sports/2011/07/14/big-sky-conference-dreams-big