PDA

View Full Version : Charleston South Announces 2006 Schedule

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Chuck South announced their 2006 schedule. Seems to be a rather easy schedule with four sub Div I foes...though there's always a chance to upset CCU at the end of the year...

CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern University athletic director Hank Small has announced the 2006 football schedule, a schedule that includes six home games and a pair of first-time opponents.

Charleston Southern will host Edward Waters on October 14 and Georgetown University on October 28. The game with Georgetown University coincides with Homecoming festivities as well as the 2006 Hall of Fame induction weekend.

The Buccaneers will open the season with two road games, playing at Presbyterian College on September 2 and at The Citadel on September 9. Wingate will be CSU's first home opponent on September 16, followed by an open date.

North Greenville College is the home opponent on September 30, followed by a road game at Savannah State on October 7. CSU's first Big South Conference game is on October 21 at home against VMI.

http://csusports.athleticsite.com/article.asp?articleID=1051
Sep. 2, 2006 (Sat.) @Presbyterian College 1:30 p.m.
Sep. 9, 2006 (Sat.) @The Citadel 7 p.m.
Sep. 16, 2006 (Sat.) Wingate College 1:30 p.m.
Sep. 30, 2006 (Sat.) North Greenville College 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 7, 2006 (Sat.) @Savannah State 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 14, 2006 (Sat.) Edward Waters College 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 21, 2006 (Sat.) Virginia Military Institute* 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 28, 2006 (Sat.) Georgetown University 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 4, 2006 (Sat.) Gardner-Webb University* 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 11, 2006 (Sat.) @Liberty University* 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 18, 2006 (Sat.) @Coastal Carolina* 12:30 p.m.

The Gadfly
March 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Though you pulled the playoff rug from under us, I hope you guys breeze through this schedule. That is until the last game :o .

rokamortis
March 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Chuck South should be the odds on favorite to beat us and picked pre-season to win the Big South.

PC is a good team, they beat CSU last year. PC is also rumored to make the jump to DI and play I-AA
football in 2007, 2006 being the exploratory year.

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM
PC is a good team, they beat CSU last year. PC is also rumored to make the jump to DI and play I-AA football in 2007, 2006 being the exploratory year.

That's neat that they got a Div I-AA squad to travel to them. I've been following PC from afar and it seems like they have all the credentials to make the move up. It'd be nice to give the Big South another football playing institution as well...

Coastal89
March 11th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Oct. 7, 2006 (Sat.) @Savannah State 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 21, 2006 (Sat.) Virginia Military Institute* 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 4, 2006 (Sat.) Gardner-Webb University* 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 11, 2006 (Sat.) @Liberty University* 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 18, 2006 (Sat.) @Coastal Carolina* 12:30 p.m.

When will Chuck South step up and play a full I-AA schedule? This coming season will be their 13th year as a member of I-AA and they still have 3 D-IIs and 1 NAIA team. :nonono2:

Coastal89
March 11th, 2006, 03:55 PM
That's neat that they got a Div I-AA squad to travel to them. I've been following PC from afar and it seems like they have all the credentials to make the move up. It'd be nice to give the Big South another football playing institution as well...
That's an old rivalry from the NAIA South Atlantic League basketball days. Alot like CCU and Winthrop or CCU and Newberry, they hate each other.

March 11th, 2006, 03:58 PM
It is interesting that the co-champ of the Big South Conference was not playoff eligible last year due to lack of D-I wins.

rokamortis
March 11th, 2006, 05:24 PM
It is interesting that the co-champ of the Big South Conference was not playoff eligible last year due to lack of D-I wins.

yeah - I figure they'd want to try and rectify that. But even if they did have 7 DI wins, they would have had a crappy GPI / SOS regardless. Maybe this is a result of home-home contracts, but they really need to step up.

walliver
March 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM
yeah - I figure they'd want to try and rectify that. But even if they did have 7 DI wins, they would have had a crappy GPI / SOS regardless. Maybe this is a result of home-home contracts, but they really need to step up.

I've never been able to figure out Charleston Southern football. It is fairly apparent their initial goal was to play D-II football (but the NCAA wouldn't let them). Until fairly recently, they played an almost all D-II schedule and then routinely went 1-10 or 2-9. I've driven by the stadium, and there seems to be a football goalpost and a pressbox, but the stands are invisible from the street. I believe its published capacity is less than 2000. They bumped up their scholarships and brought in a bunch of JuCo transfers two years ago and seemed to be making an effort but this schedule suggests they are happy where they are.

As far as playing at PC (widely rumored to be the next Big South football school), they will probably draw 3-4 times more fans in Clinton than they would in North Charleston.

catamount man
March 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Check the series matchups as well. Presbyterian owns Charleston Southern. PC will be a player in I-AA football within 10 years.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

rokamortis
March 11th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I've never been able to figure out Charleston Southern football. It is fairly apparent their initial goal was to play D-II football (but the NCAA wouldn't let them). Until fairly recently, they played an almost all D-II schedule and then routinely went 1-10 or 2-9. I've driven by the stadium, and there seems to be a football goalpost and a pressbox, but the stands are invisible from the street. I believe its published capacity is less than 2000. They bumped up their scholarships and brought in a bunch of JuCo transfers two years ago and seemed to be making an effort but this schedule suggests they are happy where they are.

As far as playing at PC (widely rumored to be the next Big South football school), they will probably draw 3-4 times more fans in Clinton than they would in North Charleston.

The stadium is really bad - but they have hopes / plans to improve. Coach Mills is a great coach, I'm not sure how they got him. He has made them go full scholly and is pushing for stadium improvements.

If CSU wants to stay where they are with that schedule I am sure the other Big South schools will have a problem with it since it brings down the conference. But I think a benefit of the doubt is ok in this case - but they need to improve next year.

LBPop
March 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM
The stadium is really bad

Might be making the trip down to check out the Hoyas. Just how bad is the stadium? What kind of surface?

Hansel
March 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Oct. 7, 2006 (Sat.) @Savannah State 1:30 p.m. [b]

PC is probably their best non-conf opponent, they must not want to be in the playoffs

CSU BUCS
March 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Yes the schedule is week.
I was wishing for an upgrade but it's a no go.

We have been playing football for 13 years but this really is just going to be our 4th with an administration commited to building a successful program. In the past we have competed with under 10 schollys. So I can kind of understand them wanting to build slow.
We are working out a deal to play Baylor in '07 our first 1A came in 3 years.

I've attached some pics of the stadium. It's not that bad, the home side is ok we have a new score board but the away side is small.
We will be building a new Basket ball arena where the football stadium is now and a new football stadium where the practice fields are now.

CSU BUCS
March 14th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I couldn’t get the pics to post. I’ll try again when I get some sleep.
Forgive me on the above grammar I’ve been up for 23 hours straight.

rokamortis
March 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM
It's not that bad, the home side is ok we have a new score board but the away side is small.
We will be building a new Basket ball arena where the football stadium is now and a new football stadium where the practice fields are now.

The home side is ok - but nothing to write home about. The away side is pitiful. Very small, all temp bleachers, porta-johns, no concession stand unless they bring in a trailer which I've heard is only when they expect a large turnout.