PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis Scholarship/Facility Update

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 11:52 AM
The reason the Aggies are having problems with filling schedule voids, especially with I-A squads...then again, beating Stanford did not help either! :)

"The Aggies don't have enough scholarshipped players. Last year UC Davis carried 41 last year and expects 52 next season. NCAA stipulations are that a Division I team must have 90 percent of 63 scholarships (56.7). Warzecka estimates UC Davis reaching 60 scholarships by 2007. Without being at 90 percent of the set amount for scholarships, Div. I-A teams cannot count that victory toward bowl eligibility..."

Also, the Aggies are hoping the game against new Southland Conference member Central Arkansas will be the opener of their new facility...

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/sports/ci_3585512

wannabegaucho
March 11th, 2006, 12:10 PM
The only teams that wish to play Davis do not seem to be interested in giving the Aggies a home game, ever.

It may be time to give teams like Valpo a call.

ucdtim17
March 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Well we've got SJSU set for '07 and '08 and Warzecka is confident we'll have a Cal game in '08 or '09 (but he was also confident we'd have one this year). Hopefully this will get easier when we're fully funded.

I also don't think a D2 would be as bad as some people think. Now is a good time as we don't have to worry about a playoff resume - it's a home game and a good opportunity for young players to get experience which will help in '07 and '08 when we are looking towards the playoffs. If we want I-A games, it's not unreasonable to take a D2 game as well. I'm sure Humboldt would love to come down as opposed to scheduling 2 games with western oregon

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
There's many I-AA schools that schedule two Div II opponents in a given year. SHSU is doing it this year (Central Arkansas and Arkansas-Monticello) and has done it in the past years. You guys have no playoff issues and it's so tough as is for Cal-Davis to get I-AA foes as you guys are a long journey to the west, which will always hinder you til we get more I-AAs out west...

March 11th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Central Arkansas is provisional I-AA this year, same as UC Davis.

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Central Arkansas is provisional I-AA this year, same as UC Davis.

Right, but for all intensive purposes, UCA is a Div II -- schedule-wise, RPI-wise, etc -- which is why many Kat fans aren't too thrilled about playing Arkansas-Monticello in addition to UCA...

SochorField
March 11th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Who is Cal-Davis? Maybe they have an open spot. :cool: