PDA

View Full Version : June 13: UNA & FCS Decision

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I wanted to give this its own subject - since this is probably of significance to many around the FCS landscape and the other thread was all over the place.

Here are some articles from today's newspaper regarding UNA's vote on Monday regarding a move to Division I.

University Decision
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110612/NEWS/110619990/1015/opinion?Title=University-decision

Should UNA make the move up in athletics?
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110612/NEWS/110619965/1011/NEWS?Title=Should-UNA-make-the-move-up-in-athletics-

Board of trustees could consider two resolutions
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110612/NEWS/110619963/1011/NEWS?Title=Board-of-trustees-could-consider-two-resolutions

Move Too Costly for University (from one of the trustees)
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110612/NEWS/110609781/1016/opinion?Title=Move-too-costly-for-university

Now is the time to make the change (from one of the trustees)
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110612/NEWS/110609780/1016/opinion?Title=Now-s-the-time-to-make-change

Also - here's the thread that was started earlier about their FBS transfer and initial discussion about FCS...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?84231-North-Alabama-fans-still-waiting-on-FCS-and-Janoris-Jenkins-decisions

BEAR
June 12th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Opponents worry about making the move when UNA has lost $10 million in state funding during the past two years and is still suffering through a down economy. They also are concerned about spending so much on athletics when UNA hasn’t been able to give cost-of-living raises to employees or fill vacant positions.

I think that says it all right there. UNA can't afford to move up. How in the world it lost $10 million in state funding just blows my mind. The natural disasters are going to hurt the economy even more so that wil put pressure on the overall state budget. I think it would be great to see teams like UNA, Valdosta etc move all their athletic teams up a division but...it's not just a move for football...it's ALL sports! That is so costly. If Alabama is cutting funding, natural disasters are hurting their economy, and boosters don't come through with multimillions of dollars...it ain't happening. Just my opinion.

I wanted to give this its own subject - since this is probably of significance to many around the FCS landscape and the other thread was all over the place.

What significance is it? Significant to the OVC? The SLC? What? To many around the FCS landscape? Who? If UNA moved up, it be just another team to play. Just like any other team that moved up. Good luck Lions..it's expensive! xlolx

Tod
June 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I think that says it all right there. UNA can't afford to move up. How in the world it lost $10 million in state funding just blows my mind. The natural disasters are going to hurt the economy even more so that wil put pressure on the overall state budget. I think it would be great to see teams like UNA, Valdosta etc move all their athletic teams up a division but...it's not just a move for football...it's ALL sports! That is so costly. If Alabama is cutting funding, natural disasters are hurting their economy, and boosters don't come through with multimillions of dollars...it ain't happening. Just my opinion.

What significance is it? Significant to the OVC? The SLC? What? To many around the FCS landscape? Who? If UNA moved up, it be just another team to play. Just like any other team that moved up. Good luck Lions..it's expensive! xlolx

You're right. A recent thread on egriz showed just how many Griz fans had no idea who UCA is. I am not only a Griz fan but an FCS fan, so I know.

I think it's a pretty big deal any time the FCS gains or loses a team, even UCA. Sorry, I meant UNA.
xreadxxsmiley_wix

BEAR
June 13th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I just can't wait until the Bears meet each other in the playoffs. Heard the SLC heads your way quite often...since last year was our first year eligible for the playoffs...maybe this year...LOL

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
You're right. A recent thread on egriz showed just how many Griz fans had no idea who UCA is. I am not only a Griz fan but an FCS fan, so I know.

I think it's a pretty big deal any time the FCS gains or loses a team, even UCA. Sorry, I meant UNA.
xreadxxsmiley_wix

LOL

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
UNA evidently voted to go Div I...

I am sure there'll be links soon.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Found one... evidently they still have not figured out how they are raising the money for the move.

FLORENCE -- The University of North Alabama Board of Trustees, in a 6-3 vote this morning, approved moving to Division I.

The board also voted, unanimously, to approved a 10.3 percent tuition increase. Students attending the university this fall will pay an additional $19 per credit hour.

A student enrolled in 15 credit hours, for instance, will pay $3,060 in tuition alone.

In a showing-of-hands vote, Harvey Robbins, John Cole and Libby Jordan voted against the Division I proposal. Richard Cater, Ronnie Flippo, Lisa Ceci, Steve Pierce, Rodney Howard and Billy Don Anderson voted for the proposal.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110613/NEWS/110619936/1295/UPDATES?Title=UNA-board-votes-to-go-to-Division-I-approves-10-3-tuition-increase

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Found one... evidently they still have not figured out how they are raising the money for the move.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110613/NEWS/110619936/1295/UPDATES?Title=UNA-board-votes-to-go-to-Division-I-approves-10-3-tuition-increase

UNA Tex, you're hilarious! Yeah we are moving up without a plan. LOL Are you that much of a knucklehead? No offense.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 01:17 PM
UNA Tex, you're hilarious! Yeah we are moving up without a plan. LOL Are you that much of a knucklehead? No offense.

I am not 'UNA Tex'.

UNA will likely have to meet 'benchmarks' to proceed with the move to Div I. Didn't one of the 'knuckleheads' say something like that? Good luck getting the necessary funding because there's no move without meeting those levels.

BearsCountry
June 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I wonder if this will help Tennessee State make their decision about the SWAC alittle quicker now. UNA can slide into their spot really easy.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 01:33 PM
What's the deal with the student athletic fee? When are they targeting it being approved? We know the students already vehemently opposed Division I the last go around...

Division II UNA spends about $4 million on athletics each year. School officials say the move would cost an additional $3.5 million annually, bringing the athletic budget to about $7.5 million.

A third of that, or $1.318 million, is expected to be generated by an increase in the student athletic fee. Additional revenue would come from corporate sponsorships, ticket sales, game guarantees NCAA and conference distribution and donations from the UNA Sportsman's Club.

http://blog.al.com/wire/2011/06/university_of_north_alabama_tr_3.html

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I am not 'UNA Tex'.

UNA will likely have to meet 'benchmarks' to proceed with the move to Div I. Didn't one of the 'knuckleheads' say something like that? Good luck getting the necessary funding because there's no move without meeting those levels.

We know all of that so why keep beating that dead horse? You should just take it for granted that we are aware that the move isn't free.

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
What's the deal with the student athletic fee? When are they targeting it being approved? We know the students already vehemently opposed Division I the last go around...

http://blog.al.com/wire/2011/06/university_of_north_alabama_tr_3.html

Let the thousand that voted vehemently oppose it. They'll all be gone in a couple of years. If you let students run the school there would be no tuition whatsoever and free beer for all.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I wonder if this will help Tennessee State make their decision about the SWAC alittle quicker now. UNA can slide into their spot really easy.

Tennessee State really has no reason to move to the SWAC. They can still get those OOC games against SWAC teams in football - which is probably all that matters. For other sports, the revenue increase (or not) is not realized. They probably make it up in keeping trips closer to home which the OVC is becoming more and more of - a more condensed league.

Let the thousand that voted vehemently oppose it. They'll all be gone in a couple of years. If you let students run the school there would be no tuition whatsoever and free beer for all.

If students continue to oppose the fee increase... a move to Div I will not happen.

A lot of schools have passed student fee increases. What is the difference at UNA? The school apparently is as cheap as it comes.

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Tennessee State really has no reason to move to the SWAC. They can still get those OOC games against SWAC teams in football - which is probably all that matters. For other sports, the revenue increase (or not) is not realized. They probably make it up in keeping trips closer to home which the OVC is becoming more and more of - a more condensed league.

If students continue to oppose the fee increase... a move to Div I will not happen.

A lot of schools have passed student fee increases. What is the difference at UNA? The school apparently is as cheap as it comes.

As I've stated (and you continue to ignore), only about 1000 students voted "no" out of 7200. Hardly a major uprising and it was probably the little nerd population who considers video games to be a sport.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 02:12 PM
As I've stated (and you continue to ignore), only about 1000 students voted "no" out of 7200. Hardly a major uprising and it was probably the little nerd population who considers video games to be a sport.

I am well aware of how student votes work...

The percentage of votes is typically less than 15% whenever you conduct a student vote. Considering 1000 of a 7200 student body went out of their way to vote down a student fee increase, that says a lot. That was a pretty significant turnout, no matter how you slice it. I think whenever you have more than 20% in a vote (regardless of how they vote), that's pretty solid.

It does not help when the STUDENT GOVERNMENT opposes the move which seems to be the case. If you have a decent SGA and they feel one way or another, it's not going to fly...

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I am well aware of how student votes work...

The percentage of votes is typically less than 15% whenever you conduct a student vote. Considering 1000 of a 7200 student body went out of their way to vote down a student fee increase, that says a lot. That was a pretty significant turnout, no matter how you slice it. I think whenever you have more than 20% in a vote (regardless of how they vote), that's pretty solid.

It does not help when the STUDENT GOVERNMENT opposes the move which seems to be the case. If you have a decent SGA and they feel one way or another, it's not going to fly...

Oh you know how the little text message crowd works. My son is a junior in computer science and he said he heard nothing about a vote as did several other of his rabid football buddies. There was an obvious get-out-the vote effort that only included like-minded people.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Oh you know how the little text message crowd works. My son is a junior in computer science and he said he heard nothing about a vote as did several other of his rabid football buddies. There was an obvious get-out-the vote effort that only included like-minded people.

Evidently those interested in putting forth a Division I program were not that interested in seeing the vote succeed if that were the case. Either that or these students you mention were pretty oblivious and apathetic to the world around them.

Apathy runs rampant on college campuses. If 1,000 students voted against - there was clearly a large enough group on campus that supports remaining Division II or showed that they were not apathetic about avoiding a fee increase...

1andDone
June 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Thats going to be 9 D1 schools in the state if I counted right

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM

How many total institutions in the scholarship offering Division I and Division II? Seems like Alabama is just overwhelmed by Division I and Division II schools. Aren't there a few Div II HBCUs in the state? Any of the NAIAs have football? Seems like tons of private NAIAs without football in the state as well...

chattownmocs
June 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Terry Bowden is a dangerous guy. I wouldnt want to compete against him.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Some more understanding of the benchmarks...

Benchmarks UNA must meet for a transition include meeting the new requirements for Division I membership, capping institutional spending for athletics operations, increasing athletics funding from outside sources, and capping a phased-in student athletics fee.

The decision to move forward with Division I plans was made following several months of discussion, careful research and planning to ensure the financial feasibility of such a transition. In addition to seeking an invitation from an NCAA Division I conference, UNA will have to pay a $1.42 million application fee to the NCAA for a move to Division I.

UNA plans for a six-year transition period to Division I, beginning with the 2011-12 academic year. The transition will include a sequence for increases in funding for new athletics scholarships and operational expenses. Six primary funding sources will be utilized: new private donations of $500,000 each year as well as gradual increases in new corporate donations, game guarantees, ticket sales, NCAA academic and enhancement funds, and a student athletics fee.

As the transition period begins, the university will cap institutional funding for the athletics program to protect funds for academic programming. It will also begin a phase-in of a student athletics fee, to be implemented throughout the six-year transition period. These decisions were made by the university after listening to the concerns of the university community that too much financial burden could be placed on the backs of students and academic programming.

http://www.una.edu/pressroom/detail.php?id=438&date=2011-06-13

Purple Pride
June 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM
How many total institutions in the scholarship offering Division I and Division II? Seems like Alabama is just overwhelmed by Division I and Division II schools. Aren't there a few Div II HBCUs in the state? Any of the NAIAs have football? Seems like tons of private NAIAs without football in the state as well...

There are 14 1A, FCS and D2 teams in Alabama. 18 schools if you include D3 and NAIA.

RabidRabbit
June 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Doesn't a school need a conference invite to move up? UNA should be able to snare an OVC, and certainly a Great West Conference invite. Although the latter doesn't help with football.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Doesn't a school need a conference invite to move up? UNA should be able to snare an OVC, and certainly a Great West Conference invite. Although the latter doesn't help with football.

They would need an invite from a legitimate Division I conference...

The Great West is not recognized as a Division I conference by the NCAA due to their limited number, lack of core members, etc. - if I am not mistaken.

GeauxLions94
June 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM
They would need an invite from a legitimate Division I conference...

The Great West is not recognized as a Division I conference by the NCAA due to their limited number, lack of core members, etc. - if I am not mistaken.

The OVC would be foolish not to invite UNA, especially if Jacksonville State is unable to make the jump to FBS speed. The addition of UNA, from a competition and geographical standpoint, will add another quality school to the OVC with football able to compete immediately (even though it would need to go through transition period).

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 05:25 PM
The OVC would be foolish not to invite UNA, especially if Jacksonville State is unable to make the jump to FBS speed. The addition of UNA, from a competition and geographical standpoint, will add another quality school to the OVC with football able to compete immediately (even though it would need to go through transition period).

Will the OVC add Northern Kentucky and/or Lipscomb to get to 14?

WestCoastAggie
June 13th, 2011, 05:34 PM

The SWAC Presidents voted against extending an invite to Tennessee State.

Redhawk2010
June 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM
The SWAC Presidents voted against extending an invite to Tennessee State.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/Wide-range-of-topics-on-agenda-for-SWAC-meetings.html

This article disagrees.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Yeah, but there's only One that really matters and one more that kinda matters. Georgia is the same way.

WestCoastAggie
June 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/Wide-range-of-topics-on-agenda-for-SWAC-meetings.html

This article disagrees.

Also, here’s something not in the SWAC statement, but told to us by a source: The SWAC presidents voted against expansion. Remember, the conference had invited Tennessee State to join the league.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2011/06/12/what-else-did-the-swac-do-last-week-here-it-is/

Redhawk2010
June 13th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hmm.. a "source" told this reporter the presidents voted it down. That's after the commissioner came out and released the statement saying they were invited? Something is fishy, but somehow I have to wonder about the "source" and its credibility.

Not that I care either way. As long as Tennessee State acts like a regular conference member and not somebody special, it's great if they stay. One of the shorter trips in the OVC ;)

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evidently those interested in putting forth a Division I program were not that interested in seeing the vote succeed if that were the case. Either that or these students you mention were pretty oblivious and apathetic to the world around them.

Apathy runs rampant on college campuses. If 1,000 students voted against - there was clearly a large enough group on campus that supports remaining Division II or showed that they were not apathetic about avoiding a fee increase...

Once again UNA Tex, you've made yourself look like a total ding-dong. You make a thousand nerds out of 7200 students sound like an over-whelming mandate. Since you never leave Texas to come to any of the games anymore, why do you continue to insert yourself into the conversation?

BEAR
June 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM
What I want to know is what is the GSC commish doing right now..xlolxxscanxxlolx

kperk014
June 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
What I want to know is what is the GSC commish doing right now..xlolxxscanxxlolx

He's been in touch with Ray's University of Beauty and the Electoral College about starting football programs so he could invite them in. He's very optimistic.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Once again UNA Tex, you've made yourself look like a total ding-dong. You make a thousand nerds out of 7200 students sound like an over-whelming mandate. Since you never leave Texas to come to any of the games anymore, why do you continue to insert yourself into the conversation?

Why do you keep referring to me as UNA Tex?

JSU02
June 14th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Why do you keep referring to me as UNA Tex?

I think he has you confused with someone on the d2 message board.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I think he has you confused with someone on the d2 message board.

Strange... I've got a pretty consistent 'online fingerprint' or whatever they call it...

Redbirdz
June 14th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I think Jax State will go FBS before UNA gets into the OVC, especially if UNA is talking about a 5-6 year process.

Catatonic
June 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Strange... I've got a pretty consistent 'online fingerprint' or whatever they call it...

UNA Tex is as prolific on the D2 board as you are here. Maybe that's the connection?

His posts are almost always well reasoned and very often humorous. If you are going to be confused for someone, he is not a bad choice.

kperk014
June 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM

If you aren't UNA Tex......well, you could be. You two are almost word for word with your posts.

JSU02
June 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM

No joke, plus the fact you have Sam Houston avatars with over 24,000 posts on an FCS board. But hey, who pays attention stuff like that. :)

SU DOG
June 14th, 2011, 01:34 PM
In 1968 UT decided to build a UT-Nashville. Rita Sanders Geier filed a desegregation suit against the state, claiming that this perpetuated a dual system of higher education with TSU already being there. As a result, the court ruled in 1979 for the merger with TSU. I have always understood that a part of the court settlement was for TSU to be in the OVC, which they entered in the mid-eighties. I certainly stand to be corrected, or perhaps some statue of limitations has been exceeded, but I thought that TSU was under court order to be in the OVC.(?)

kperk014
June 14th, 2011, 03:26 PM
No joke, plus the fact you have Sam Houston avatars with over 24,000 posts on an FCS board. But hey, who pays attention stuff like that. :)

I know he's not UNA Tex because I've read past posts but when it comes to this topic, they are one in the same. Trust me.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I know he's not UNA Tex because I've read past posts but when it comes to this topic, they are one in the same. Trust me.

Still does not serve a purpose to call me 'UNA Tex' when most of us have no clue who he is as we do not frequent whatever Div II boards or wherever that you have frequented...

Has UNA unveiled a plan to assure themselves of the student fee increase to cover the $1.3M from there? What has the fundraising arm planned to raise their funds by $500k?

kperk014
June 14th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Still does not serve a purpose to call me 'UNA Tex' when most of us have no clue who he is as we do not frequent whatever Div II boards or wherever that you have frequented...

Has UNA unveiled a plan to assure themselves of the student fee increase to cover the $1.3M from there? What has the fundraising arm planned to raise their funds by $500k?

I don't know. Do you? This thing has been studied and studied to death and yet you're confident they don't know what they are doing. Yeah, you and Tex. Two nuts in a sack.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I don't know. Do you? This thing has been studied and studied to death and yet you're confident they don't know what they are doing. Yeah, you and Tex. Two nuts in a sack.

There was at least one member of the committee that voted against and came out in an editorial stating that she had concerns over the plans from a financial standpoint. The benchmarks are set - it is time to reach them.

kperk014
June 14th, 2011, 10:22 PM
There was at least one member of the committee that voted against and came out in an editorial stating that she had concerns over the plans from a financial standpoint. The benchmarks are set - it is time to reach them.

Agreed. Of course the woman you are talking about wants nothing more than intramural athletics. She can't see past her own paycheck.

UNAPride
June 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hey guys. Sorry to jump in. You'll see more and more of us 'crazy' and some not-so crazy Lion fans showing up here I'm sure. xtroublex

TexasTerror, KPerk thinks you're UNATex because you are stating the obvious, logical positions that have been presented to death. Some, like KPerk, can't seem to understand most of it and refutes every single point. So it was very interesting to come on here and see the same things being pointed out by someone totally unrelated to the situation and see his same posts. I'm sure he's tired of posting them, actually.

And I won't go off on many of the points again but I must mention about that vote. Sure, only 1K or so votes to not reclassify. LESS voted for it!! You know what that means? Most didn't care. That also has to be a 'benchmark' for all involved.

The facts are now that the majority of the board has made a decision. I was not for it. I voiced that many times to the UNA Pres, AD, Board Members, coaches, published letters to the editor, etc. I am now on board.

Yes, we gotta get to fundraising or this train will derail quickly. But I'm hoping and praying we will make this happen. And, well it's even exciting.

ROAR LIONS!!

TheBisonator
June 15th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Hey guys. Sorry to jump in. You'll see more and more of us 'crazy' and some not-so crazy Lion fans showing up here I'm sure. xtroublex

TexasTerror, KPerk thinks you're UNATex because you are stating the obvious, logical positions that have been presented to death. Some, like KPerk, can't seem to understand most of it and refutes every single point. So it was very interesting to come on here and see the same things being pointed out by someone totally unrelated to the situation and see his same posts. I'm sure he's tired of posting them, actually.

And I won't go off on many of the points again but I must mention about that vote. Sure, only 1K or so votes to not reclassify. LESS voted for it!! You know what that means? Most didn't care. That also has to be a 'benchmark' for all involved.

The facts are now that the majority of the board has made a decision. I was not for it. I voiced that many times to the UNA Pres, AD, Board Members, coaches, published letters to the editor, etc. I am now on board.

Yes, we gotta get to fundraising or this train will derail quickly. But I'm hoping and praying we will make this happen. And, well it's even exciting.

ROAR LIONS!!

Everyone at NDSU thought the same thing as you when we moved up back in 2003. Now you won't find a single soul who wishes we were back in DII. As a matter of fact, a lot of NDSU fans/alums want more of the higher level DI, they want to see us either in FBS or a full Missouri Valley member in the near future.

UNA will do just fine. You'll be AMAZED at the amount of giving your athletic department is going to receive.

And it's not like you really have an option. There's almost no D2 schools near you anymore. Your travel costs will actually go down in DI.

Cocky
June 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Why do boards let students vote on such matters? Most are ignorant to the total effects of these decisions. If you let them vote let them be the board.

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM

ROAR LIONS!!

Leave it to you to make a retarded post. There for a while I thought you had grown up. Shows I'm not always right. I understand EVERYTHING about this move and the hard work it will involve but I'm not gonna act like a tree-hugger chaining himself to a tree to stop the lumberjacks either. I say get on board or get the heck out boy.

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Why do boards let students vote on such matters? Most are ignorant to the total effects of these decisions. If you let them vote let them be the board.

Amen. Children who will only be there 1 to 4 years given the ability to dictate the long term future of a university is sheer folly at best.

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Everyone at NDSU thought the same thing as you when we moved up back in 2003. Now you won't find a single soul who wishes we were back in DII. As a matter of fact, a lot of NDSU fans/alums want more of the higher level DI, they want to see us either in FBS or a full Missouri Valley member in the near future.

UNA will do just fine. You'll be AMAZED at the amount of giving your athletic department is going to receive.

And it's not like you really have an option. There's almost no D2 schools near you anymore. Your travel costs will actually go down in DI.

Statements like that have no effect on folks like una no-pride. If it were up to people like him we would schedule high school teams to avoid the possibility of losing. Luckily we have a coach who can be one of the best fund raisers in college football. I'm sick of people like una no-pride who have such a rotten opinion of our university. People around the nation have a higher opinion of us than some of our own people.

Mountaineer
June 15th, 2011, 01:28 PM
If it were up to people like him we would schedule high school teams to avoid the possibility of losing.

Sounds awfully familiar to what I read on App's fan sites. I guess having a segment of folks with no faith in their alma mater is universal. xlolx

UNAPride
June 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Same ole KPerk. Shame actual alumni members who actually donate money by somehow thinking you can be the judge of it all. I think you must of missed the part were I said "I'm on board" and it's "even exciting". I love the Lions and bleed purple or I would not be on here posting or actually run the fan site for the school! Duh! Please grow up or you'll have to change your name on this board, too.

See, the problem is that UNA fans don't even get along with each other. So, it's pretty tough to unify our group behind these big changes.

The decision has been made and I support UNA.....no matter how some are going to negatively spin EVERYTHING!!!!!!! Say something pro or con and KPerk is gonna jump on how you hate UNA.

Is there an IGNORE feature on this site?

LOL. KPerk, you know I appreciate your love for the Lions, but you jumping on me that way is so six months ago. Can't we all just get along?? xeyebrowx

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Same ole KPerk. Shame actual alumni members who actually donate money by somehow thinking you can be the judge of it all. I think you must of missed the part were I said "I'm on board" and it's "even exciting". I love the Lions and bleed purple or I would not be on here posting or actually run the fan site for the school! Duh! Please grow up or you'll have to change your name on this board, too.

See, the problem is that UNA fans don't even get along with each other. So, it's pretty tough to unify our group behind these big changes.

The decision has been made and I support UNA.....no matter how some are going to negatively spin EVERYTHING!!!!!!! Say something pro or con and KPerk is gonna jump on how you hate UNA.

Is there an IGNORE feature on this site?

LOL. KPerk, you know I appreciate your love for the Lions, but you jumping on me that way is so six months ago. Can't we all just get along?? xeyebrowx

I thought we were getting along and the first thing you do is say I don't understand simple numbers. What amazes me is having to stand up for UNA against......UNA! It floors me that some are going to act as a drag in this endeavor in hopes it will fail. The move has been studied and studied over the years and studied again and STILL we have the nattering nabobs of negativism (I love that phrase! Thanks William Safire RIP) believe they know more than the people who've done the research. Amazing! Pride, they are going to need ALL of us to make this work.

UNAPride
June 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Pride, they are going to need ALL of us to make this work.

That we can agree on. ROAR LIONS!

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Sounds awfully familiar to what I read on App's fan sites. I guess having a segment of folks with no faith in their alma mater is universal. xlolx

It is amazing isn't it? Or maybe I should say, sickening.

Purple Pride
June 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
It's very simple. Some folks seek security, some seek opportunity.

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
By the way, Janoris Jenkins WILL be wearing the purple and gold this fall! Well maybe I should say the purple of UNA. I miss the gold!

kperk014
June 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
It's very simple. Some folks seek security, some seek opportunity.

There's definitely NO security in D2 in the southeast anymore. LOL

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
UNA's Div I web site...

http://www.una.edu/division1/

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Great read on the situation...

UNA will be in bottom 25% of FCS... their goal of $500k from private donations annually is about twice the average for their soon to be co-horts if they can get into the OVC... several of their other budget aspirations are similar in not being in line with other schools... and there's still lots of people not on board...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/why_is_una_going_against_its_c.html

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM
UNA on the aggressive to 'sell' the plan...

Officials at the University of North Alabama have launched an aggressive communications strategy to sell the move from NCAA Division II to Division I to the campus community as well as the greater Shoals community.

Mark Linder, UNA’s athletic director, said he and others from the university are making themselves “available to speak anytime, anywhere and anyplace.”

“Now that we have a direction, we have started the process of scheduling meetings with individuals and groups in the Shoals. It will be a rigorous schedule,” he said. “We believe it is important to speak to as many people face to face as possible.”

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110620/NEWS/110619783?Title=UNA-launches-support-plan

cmaxwellgsu
June 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM

It's not a bad idea to gauge the student interest level. A student vote showing their interest in bigger football while paying for it is a good thing for the committee to use. Would be cool to see them move up as it reminds me of how our fan base and administration acts about going 1-A, and acted about restarting football in the early 80s.

MoreheadEagle
June 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Nothing against UNA, but I personally don't want them in the OVC. Right now, it's perfect with the addition of Belmont. Now the OVC will have 12 teams for basketball and nine for football (TSU is going to play a full OVC schedule IIRC).

If a school leaves to OVC (TSU or JSU) I'd personally rather see Lipscomb, ETSU, Northern Kentucky, Kennesaw State, or Western Illinois join before UNA. Just personal preference.

Purple Pride
June 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Nothing against UNA, but I personally don't want them in the OVC. Right now, it's perfect with the addition of Belmont. Now the OVC will have 12 teams for basketball and nine for football (TSU is going to play a full OVC schedule IIRC).

If a school leaves to OVC (TSU or JSU) I'd personally rather see Lipscomb, ETSU, Northern Kentucky, Kennesaw State, or Western Illinois join before UNA. Just personal preference.I bet you would.

TTUEagles
June 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM

If a school leaves to OVC (TSU or JSU) I'd personally rather see Lipscomb, ETSU, Northern Kentucky, Kennesaw State, or Western Illinois join before UNA. Just personal preference.

That just seems to me like you (and it seems like a lot of people on ovcfans.com) want the OVC to emphasize basketball more...and, for good reason given Morehead's recent progress. But, don't discount UNA's basketball, either. They've won D-II National championships before... They will need major upgrades on Flower's Hall, but, they'll be right up there in terms of competitiveness in basketball. No thanks, personally, to ETSU (unless football returns there), NKU, KSU, etc. Western Ill will be a helluva road trip for a lot of teams. (also, just personal preference)

Cocky
June 20th, 2011, 11:55 AM

We need football schools not more basketball schools.

MoreheadEagle
June 20th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Trust me, in a perfect world Morehead State would rejoin the OVC in football so if JSU or TSU bolts there would be no problems with scheduling. I HATE the PFL and the football situation at MSU. I just worry about UNA's ability to compete in all sports and to raise the funds needed to be competitive. I also would like to see a better media market added. Honestly, the OVC is fine where it is and I don't see how adding a 13th member is going to help anything. 11 members was terrible enough.

Cocky
June 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Havent been to TUNA in a while but thier support was well above avg.

kperk014
June 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Great read on the situation...

UNA will be in bottom 25% of FCS... their goal of $500k from private donations annually is about twice the average for their soon to be co-horts if they can get into the OVC... several of their other budget aspirations are similar in not being in line with other schools... and there's still lots of people not on board...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/why_is_una_going_against_its_c.html

We'll see, wet blanket. You also said we wouldn't make the move because we couldn't. WRONG.

kperk014
June 20th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Nothing personal but I think Morehead just don't wanna get whupped!

MoreheadEagle
June 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Morehead most likely won't play them in football so it's a moot point. I just don't see why the OVC needs another member when it's a 12 for almost all other sports and a perfect 9 for football.

kperk014
June 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Morehead most likely won't play them in football so it's a moot point. I just don't see why the OVC needs another member when it's a 12 for almost all other sports and a perfect 9 for football.

LOL What's perfect about 9?

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM
We'll see, wet blanket. You also said we wouldn't make the move because we couldn't. WRONG.

Need to hit those benchmarks first...

Right now, it is a bunch of talk. Our friends at TXST-San Marcos know about that from at least one previous failed attempt to go FBS prior to their most recent successful one. Our colleagues at FAMU do too...

I think the UNA efforts are based too much on a lot of things that may be a bit more challenging to reach than they realize.. particularly since even those benchmarks are lower than the status quo for FCS.

MoreheadEagle
June 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM

It allows teams to play a full conference slate with three out of conference games. IDK, I just like nine football teams unless your going to do divisions. In the case of the OVC 13 schools in almost every sport but football is terrible for scheduling and 10 football members cuts back on OOC opponents.

kperk014
June 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Need to hit those benchmarks first...

Right now, it is a bunch of talk. Our friends at TXST-San Marcos know about that from at least one previous failed attempt to go FBS prior to their most recent successful one. Our colleagues at FAMU do too...

I think the UNA efforts are based too much on a lot of things that may be a bit more challenging to reach than they realize.. particularly since even those benchmarks are lower than the status quo for FCS.

Like I said, we'll see. Tell me, what perverse pleasure do you get saying the same old thing over and over and over and...............You know what that means, don't you?

kperk014
June 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
It allows teams to play a full conference slate with three out of conference games. IDK, I just like nine football teams unless your going to do divisions. In the case of the OVC 13 schools in almost every sport but football is terrible for scheduling and 10 football members cuts back on OOC opponents.

Most conferences want an even number of teams. That's why when the SEC decided to change, they didn't drop one or add one, they added two. There was never any talk of making it an odd league.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Most conferences want an even number of teams. That's why when the SEC decided to change, they didn't drop one or add one, they added two. There was never any talk of making it an odd league.

You want the odd in football. The 9 is perfect for football because you have 4 home and 4 away games. Next best is 11 but it shrinks your chances for another OOC home game.

If you look at it from the perspective of some of the established OVC fans you'll see that they will have one less home game every other year by adding you guys and you could see why that ain't a good thing to them.

kperk014
June 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
You want the odd in football. The 9 is perfect for football because you have 4 home and 4 away games. Next best is 11 but it shrinks your chances for another OOC home game.

If you look at it from the perspective of some of the established OVC fans you'll see that they will have one less home game every other year by adding you guys and you could see why that ain't a good thing to them.

Money, money, money....I understand.

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Is the OVC going to make the invite to UNA? Or is that not the formality that some people are making it out to be?

Nine schools is great for football as others have eluded to. The 12 members for all sports is an ideal situation too.

What's the advantage of adding a 13th and/or 14th with Northern Kentucky and North Alabama?

cmaxwellgsu
June 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Everyone is on even ground in conference play. You play 4 at home and 4 away. Since there are no championship games at the FCS level for playoff conferences, that seems to be the perfect number.

bojeta
June 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM

This is partly why I'm hoping the Big Sky comes up with a 14th member. Two 7 team divisions so you get that 3 and 3 deal with guaranteed in-conference/out of conference matchups for another 2 games. Then you can schedule three OOC games, likely one or more FBS $$ games and at least one more home game for a min 5 home schedule with NO DII teams!!! 16 teams would theoretically be better, but I enjoy the intrigue of 3 OOC games. Of course, with two 8 team divisions, you have 7 conference games and I guess you schedule 1 in/out game and still have the three OOC games. Hey! You have to appreciate how new all this is to us in the Great West where we've just worried about getting 11 games period!!!

McTailGator
June 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
UNA announced today they will begin the process to move to DI within 6 years?

Contingent upon donors to help pay for facility upgrades.

Looking to add 3 Million a year to its budget.

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2011, 08:23 PM
First major date in all of this is May 1, 2013...

The school essentially has two years to add sports and get their finances in order. Along these next 23, 24 months... school must also secure conference invite and begin showing that they are willing (and able) to upgrade facilities.

This is pretty cut and dry... with plenty of doubters throughout the region. UNA needs to mend bridges and get a move on...

Redhawk2010
June 20th, 2011, 09:02 PM
If Morehead State would buck up and join the OVC in football, then the OVC could tell UNA to get lost. Personally, I think the OVC should tell Morehead State to buck up or get lost. Biggest problem with doing that now is the recent additions of SIUE and Belmont..

TheBisonator
June 21st, 2011, 07:25 AM
If Morehead State would buck up and join the OVC in football, then the OVC could tell UNA to get lost. Personally, I think the OVC should tell Morehead State to buck up or get lost. Biggest problem with doing that now is the recent additions of SIUE and Belmont..

Morehead State is an advantage to have in basketball. One of the reasons that the OVC is getting more money from March Madness is because of Morehead's win over Louisville.

MoreheadEagle
June 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM

Not this again. When MSU dropped scholarship football the university cut expenses and lowered the athletics budget overall, it was not to funnel money into another sport. If that had been the case the facilities would have been upgraded and success in other sports would have come sooner than the 10-15 years it took to recover from the hit athletics took under the previous administration. I don't understand why some OVC fans are all of the sudden up in arms that MSU doesn't participate in football in the conference. It didn't matter when the Eagles weren't very good but now it's just awful apparently. I can assure you, no money is being funneled into anything unless it's NCAA $ from the past couple of tournaments.

I will agree that adding SIU-E was a bad idea but the addition of Belmont is great and evens up the conference schedule in almost every sport and raises the baseball and basketball prowess of the conference.

What I really don't get is why other OVC fans even care that MSU doesn't play OVC football. Do SoCon fans care that CofC and Davidson don't play football? Do CAA fans care that VCU doesn't currently have football? I honestly don't know what the big deal is especially since Morehead has a small budget even with the "savings" of not having scholarship football.

With all of that said, I wish that Morehead played OVC football. We'd actually save money on travel, increase attendance and gate $, and be eligible for $ games from BCS schools. However, until the budget is increased, we're stuck in the PFL and I guess I and numerous MSU fans that hate the PFL will have to live with it.

eiu1999
June 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Not this again. When MSU dropped scholarship football the university cut expenses and lowered the athletics budget overall, it was not to funnel money into another sport. If that had been the case the facilities would have been upgraded and success in other sports would have come sooner than the 10-15 years it took to recover from the hit athletics took under the previous administration. I don't understand why some OVC fans are all of the sudden up in arms that MSU doesn't participate in football in the conference. It didn't matter when the Eagles weren't very good but now it's just awful apparently. I can assure you, no money is being funneled into anything unless it's NCAA $ from the past couple of tournaments.

I will agree that adding SIU-E was a bad idea but the addition of Belmont is great and evens up the conference schedule in almost every sport and raises the baseball and basketball prowess of the conference.

What I really don't get is why other OVC fans even care that MSU doesn't play OVC football. Do SoCon fans care that CofC and Davidson don't play football? Do CAA fans care that VCU doesn't currently have football? I honestly don't know what the big deal is especially since Morehead has a small budget even with the "savings" of not having scholarship football.

With all of that said, I wish that Morehead played OVC football. We'd actually save money on travel, increase attendance and gate $, and be eligible for $ games from BCS schools. However, until the budget is increased, we're stuck in the PFL and I guess I and numerous MSU fans that hate the PFL will have to live with it.

I wished Morehead played in the OVC as well, but I do understand budget restraints.

TTUEagles
June 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM

On ovcfans.com, which is apparently mostly occupied by OVC basketball fans, they constantly refer to (Murray St. and one TTU poster, for sure) FCS & OVC football as "irrelevant" and "a joke." Some have openly suggested that all OVC schoold drop to non-scholarship football and funnel that saved money into men's basketball. Their logic (as I understand it) is that men's basketball is the only true money maker and only sport among OVC-type schools that can compete at a national level unlike OVC vs FBS schools. Some are convinced that Morehead's recent rise to prominence in b'ball is 1) more money devoted to the program, recruiting, etc. and 2) illegal recruiting of Faried (not touching that one, myself). I don't agree. I agree with MoreheadEagle, actually. M'head (football) was a terrible place to play, personally, back in the '90's (sorry). Facilities were Austin Peay-esque, if not worse, back then. Something had to be done, if not for safety reasons alone. Cutting scholarships was apparently more than necessary to save other sports. [TTU has recently dropped some secondary sports for $$$-sake and rumors of going non scholly football were out there about 10 years ago. Thank God it didn't happen.]
As it pertains to this thread, I think the OVC expanding with Belmont, instantly upgrades men's b'ball as would UNA with football. I think UNA is THAT good, to come in and compete for a conf. title right away. They would upgrade football and I hope the OVC thinks about this, instead of just focusing on men's b'ball.

kperk014
June 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
On ovcfans.com, which is apparently mostly occupied by OVC basketball fans, they constantly refer to (Murray St. and one TTU poster, for sure) FCS & OVC football as "irrelevant" and "a joke." Some have openly suggested that all OVC schoold drop to non-scholarship football and funnel that saved money into men's basketball. Their logic (as I understand it) is that men's basketball is the only true money maker and only sport among OVC-type schools that can compete at a national level unlike OVC vs FBS schools. Some are convinced that Morehead's recent rise to prominence in b'ball is 1) more money devoted to the program, recruiting, etc. and 2) illegal recruiting of Faried (not touching that one, myself). I don't agree. I agree with MoreheadEagle, actually. M'head (football) was a terrible place to play, personally, back in the '90's (sorry). Facilities were Austin Peay-esque, if not worse, back then. Something had to be done, if not for safety reasons alone. Cutting scholarships was apparently more than necessary to save other sports. [TTU has recently dropped some secondary sports for $$$-sake and rumors of going non scholly football were out there about 10 years ago. Thank God it didn't happen.]
As it pertains to this thread, I think the OVC expanding with Belmont, instantly upgrades men's b'ball as would UNA with football. I think UNA is THAT good, to come in and compete for a conf. title right away. They would upgrade football and I hope the OVC thinks about this, instead of just focusing on men's b'ball.

I can't imagine how boring it would be to go to a school without college football. Basketball is good but nothing is more anticipated than game day during football season. Actually interest in college basketball nation-wide has been on the decline while college football opens a bigger gap between the two each year. To me it's not smart to throw in the towel on a sport surpassed only by the NFL in popularity.

TTUEagles
June 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
As a few of us always said in Graduate School at Belmont: "Never trust a school that doesn't play football"

dgtw
June 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM
I attended a very small college that did not have football and hated it. They did have a very good basketball program but support was sparse. I went to the games and enjoyed them, but it wasn't the same.

kperk014
June 21st, 2011, 06:47 PM
ONE, not all, of the reasons football is so great is there's not that much of it. There are so many basketball and baseball games that individual games seem to have little meaning even though they do. I've always likened those sports to steak. As good as steak is, if you had it for dinner 4 or 5 times a week for 6 months you'd get sick of it.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM
They have come a long way as far as fundraising... but they would still need to essentially double their in-take from private donors to reach the $500k annual goal, which they are building into their budget. This campaign that kicks off around Aug 1 is the most critical part of the equation for the school in order to make Div I and FCS works...

At Thursday's meeting, he said he hopes to raise $1,000 from 500 donors and that $500,000 would be a minimum.

Fundraising isn't expected to begin until Aug. 1, according to Medders, which is when a comprehensive campaign is set to kick off. It will include academics as well as athletics.

Still, Medders said he's confident the money will be raised. Since 2007, UNA has grown its donations to athletics from $33,000 to $268,000.

“In four years, that's a significant increase,” he said.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110708/NEWS/110709889/1011/NEWS?Title=School-promotes-possible-Division-I-move