PDA

View Full Version : Socon/Big South deny Charlotte

StorminASU
June 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Unofficially denied as of now, until the formal voting process of course

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/06/socon-big-south-turn-down-49ers.html

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Ouch. But why would the Big South reject them? That makes little sense IMO for the Big South.

Smitty
June 8th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Whats the point of taking in a team that is going to jet the first opportunity it gets?

citdog
June 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM
charlotte was rejected by the WHOLE SOUTHERN CONFEDERACY! It's a great day for the 1936 members of the Southern Conference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

phoenixphanatic21
June 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Whats the point of taking in a team that is going to jet the first opportunity it gets?

Exactly.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM

What if their opportunity never comes? What if it does come, but twenty years hence?

The Big South took a chance on taking Stony Brook. There was no guarantee that Stony Brook wouldn't have jumped to the CAA when they took them, but they took the chance anyway - and it paid off in a big way. Now, Stony Brook looks like it loves the Big South and will be there for the forseeable future.

Why on earth wouldn't they take the same chance with UNCC? Low risk, high reward.

49RFootballNow
June 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Why on earth wouldn't they take the same chance with UNCC? Low risk, high reward.

They'll be more on this in the Charlotte Observer tomorrow.

If I had to venture a guess, and that's all it is. I'd think we refused to accept whatever penalty the Big South wanted for leaving early.

Just a guess but I'm pretty sure Judy/Phil wouldn't accept afigure north of $100,000 to leave the Big South.

Another guess:

I think Coastal (AD on record wanting us) and maybe Liberty were on our side but some of the smaller and/or private schools thought we'd be troublesome with our available resources.

Just guesses. According to what David Scott said in the blog the CAA isn't a done deal yet. We've always been prepared to play Independent for the first 5 years so................

citdog
June 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM
What if their opportunity never comes? What if it does come, but twenty years hence?

The Big South took a chance on taking Stony Brook. There was no guarantee that Stony Brook wouldn't have jumped to the CAA when they took them, but they took the chance anyway - and it paid off in a big way. Now, Stony Brook looks like it loves the Big South and will be there for the forseeable future.

Because here in the South we have this thing called tradition. I wouldn't expect a yankee to understand.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM
For reference, here's the deal that Stony Brook got:

http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2008/jul/27/new_york_based_stony_brook_flows_south-ar-219269/

Stony Brook signed a four-year contract as an associate member, one that will expire after the 2011 season. By then, Presbyterian College will be a fully eligible Big South member, so it wouldn’t hurt the Big South’s automatic bid if SBU were to leave.

Any such talk is premature, though.

“We’re not in this thing to get out of it,” Fiore said. “That’s the truth of the matter.”

What if the Big South offered a similar deal to UNCC - four-year associate membership, a couple Big South home out-of-conference games in basketball, with no penalty for leaving?

Did Stony Brook sign a new agreement since this was announced, or not?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Because here in the South we have this thing called tradition. I wouldn't expect a yankee to understand.

We have a tradition in the North, too, called "winning" xlolx

whitey
June 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Just guesses. According to what David Scott said in the blog the CAA isn't a done deal yet. We've always been prepared to play Independent for the first 5 years so................

With UMASS and Rhode Island out the door that only leaves Maine, UNH, Richmond and possibly Villanova as the only remaining football affiliates left in the CAA. CAA all-sports institutions will soon have a 7 to 4 (or 7 to 3 depending on Nova) majority. That's going to make things even more difficult for Charlotte if it even gets to a vote.

WestCoastAggie
June 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Oh my goodness!

This means only one thing...

Say hello to the 49ers in the MEAC come 2013.

Apphole
June 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Most people would have an abortion at this point. With no conference, your recruiting will suffer tremendously. Who in their right mind would want to play for a school with no conference championship to contend for, no shot at the play offs, no tradition or history, and a questionable fan base? This will push your FBS time table to 15 years or so. Only a complete restructuring of the NCAA will put UNCC in a spot where their fans will be satisfied.

WileECoyote06
June 8th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Oh my goodness!

This means only one thing...

Say hello to the 49ers in the MEAC come 2013.

They better talk to Leon Kerry in the CIAA. At least then they can benefit from the basketball tournament already being held in their city. .

WestCoastAggie
June 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
They better talk to Leon Kerry in the CIAA. At least then they can benefit from the basketball tournament already being held in their city. .

They ain't leavin the A-10 anytime soon, apparently.

WileECoyote06
June 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM
The same reasons the SoCon and the Big South don't want them: They have FBS aspirations, a very large public school with more financial resources; are the reasons the MEAC shouldn't take them either. Besides if that were realistic then someone with some vision would have mentioned it. They don't want in anymore than we want them.

gophoenix
June 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Most people would have an abortion at this point. With no conference, your recruiting will suffer tremendously. Who in their right mind would want to play for a school with no conference championship to contend for, no shot at the play offs, no tradition or history, and a questional fan base? This will push your FBS time table to 15 years or so. Only a complete restructuring of the NCAA will put UNCC in a spot where their fans will be satisfied.

Plenty of independent schools have made the playoffs. And if they are going FBS in 5 years, then that gives them a recruiting edge anyway. See FAU that year that they made the playoffs.

Eaglesrus
June 8th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Ouch. But why would the Big South reject them? That makes little sense IMO for the Big South.

Here's a question that's probably been discussed many times before, but if so I missed it; was the intent behind the name Big South to mean south of Canada from the time the conference formed, or is that just what it became after the addition of Stony Brook?

gophoenix
June 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM

If I had to venture a guess, and that's all it is. I'd think we refused to accept whatever penalty the Big South wanted for leaving early.

Just a guess but I'm pretty sure Judy/Phil wouldn't accept afigure north of $100,000 to leave the Big South.

Another guess:

I think Coastal (AD on record wanting us) and maybe Liberty were on our side but some of the smaller and/or private schools thought we'd be troublesome with our available resources.

That's pretty tall conjecture at this point. Stony Brook and the Big South had a win/win agreement with each other. They don't need UNCC, even if Liberty leaves. So there's no reason to made another deal like that. And there's no indication that any other school in the Big South wanted them in, nor is there any indication that the private schools did not want them in. The penalty for leaving the Big South, as an associate or not, is $250,000.

UNCC wants their cake and eat it too. And that's really the issue here. UNCC wants the benefits of being in a conference, but what are the schools and the conference teams getting in return? The SoCon doesn't need a team even if GSU and App leave. The Big South is safe now, even if Liberty leaves. And why would the MEAC add yet another school? And what benefit does the CAA get out of it overall? Ga State and ODU are getting their membership because they are there for everything else.

superman7515
June 8th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Plenty of independent schools have made the playoffs. And if they are going FBS in 5 years, then that gives them a recruiting edge anyway. See FAU that year that they made the playoffs.

They've never said they were going FBS in 5 years. And even if there is that intent, even if their President and AD put it in writing and posted a billboard on I-95, they have no control over whether or not they get an invitation in 5 years.

The Moody1
June 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM
They've never said they were going FBS in 5 years. And even if there is that intent, even if their President and AD put it in writing and posted a billboard on I-95, they have no control over whether or not they get an invitation in 5 years.

Since they are near Charlotte the billboard would be on I-85. xlolx

DFW HOYA
June 8th, 2011, 01:28 PM
With no conference, your recruiting will suffer tremendously.

Unless your recruiting suffers from being in a conference.

ChooChoo
June 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM

Thats right. Everyone needs a conference invitation to move up now. So UMass, Tx St., UTSA, and South Alabama are moving on. The rest of the western FCS schools are in no rush because it's pretty much out there that the WAC will take you if you want to make the move. There's no urgency; the spots will be there. But for the southern/eastern based schools with future aspirations of moving up, the slots seems to be nearly filled. Short of the BCS splitting from the NCAA (like Barnhart suggested in that CBS blog) or a C-USA split, we are quickly approaching a finite number of opportunities. I think the day is approaching where the chest thumping on here on who deserves to get those invites will even surpass those of the C-USA school fans lobbying for the Big East :)

Mntneer
June 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Oh I get it now, you're not really talking about football xoopsx

WileECoyote06
June 8th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Which begs a good question. . .what if those schools with FBS aspirations wish to move up together and form their own conference? (JMU, ASU, GSU, UNC-C, Liberty, Jacksonville State)

Would they be able to move?

AppAlum2003
June 8th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Wow... responses from Niner fans sound like: "Yeah, Danielle said she wouldn't go out with me... I think it's because I'm TOO good looking and have, um, way too many cool cars and houses and stuff. That's honestly the only reason I can think of."

PaladinFan
June 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I agree with the move. The SoCon is one of the premier FCS conferences and shouldn't be anyone's "stepping stone."

I think Charlotte could fit the profile one day, but they need to show they are interested in playing SoCon sports, and not just treating our venerable conference like a place holder.

StorminASU
June 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Wow... responses from Niner fans sound like: "Yeah, Danielle said she wouldn't go out with me... I think it's because I'm TOO good looking and have, um, way too many cool cars and houses and stuff. That's honestly the only reason I can think of."

xlmaox

xoutofrepx

zilla
June 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I remember that article. I don't know why our AD would feel so strongly about adding UNCC though. From what I've gathered, we're trying to get out of the Big South ourselves & have been for at least 6-7 years now.

SideLine Shooter
June 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM

xoutofrepx

henfan
June 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
According to what David Scott said in the blog the CAA isn't a done deal yet.

The word I've heard is that it is indeed NOT a done deal. However, UNCC's only way in to CAA FB is via an automatic bid as a full member of the CAA. There just isn't enough interest/support from existing CAA FB and other CAA member schools to extend a 'FB only' invite.

It's impossible to know if the CAA would have the same level of interest in UNCC as an all sport member in the future but apparently there is interest right now.

WMTribe90
June 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Rose said Charlotte's only other option for conference affiliation when the 49ers begin football in 2013 is the Colonial Athletic Association. Otherwise, Charlotte would be an FCS independent until it makes a move up to FBS, whenever that comes.

Since the CAA has already made it clear that we have no interest in UNCC as a FB only affiliate, I take this quote from the article to mean that Rose/Charlotte are still considering or will reconsider all sports membership in the CAA now that there is no other option for football conference membership. Perhaps UNCC is finally realizing their bargaining position isn't nearly as strong as they thought it was going into these negotiations.

They've gone about it horribly (announcing FBS intentions, arrogance, etc), but I do think they have the options properly prioritized from the UNCC perspective.

1) CAA FB Affiliate (Nope)
2) SoCon FB Affiliate (Nope)
3) Big South FB Affiliate (Surprising Nope)
4) CAA All-Sports (Maybe?)
5) Indy (Fall back option, not an attractive one IMO)

I think its worth a slight step down in bball to join the best FCS football league, which is also better than the A10 in most other sports besides basketball.

citdog
June 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Who hires a sammi maker to be their Athletic Director anyway? That broad should get knocked up or take a cooking and cleaning up the house class and leave grown men's business to GROWN MEN.

SideLine Shooter
June 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Who hires a sammi maker to be their Athletic Director anyway? That broad should get knocked up or take a cooking and cleaning up the house class and leave grown men's business to GROWN MEN.

Dog, you really have a way with words.

Apphole
June 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Gender stereotypes aside, this is slice one and two of the humble pie that the small UNCC fanbase has in it's future. The fact is, they shot themselves in the foot by announcing their FBS intentions and by holding their overrated basketball program up on a pedistool. Now it seems that their arrogance has royally screwed them. They are realizing that, as a football program alone, they offer nothing of value to any established conference. They're being denied by conferences that they thought to be below them and even by conferences below that. Welcome to the FCS UNCC and welcome to reality.

Keeper
June 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
"Big" South schools/population: CSU/120k, CCU/30k, GWU/4k, LU/75k, Presby/8k, VMI/7k, SB/14k.

Charlotte pop 731k (17th in USA). Certainly the "big" south doesn't need the exposure and attendance
from playing in a little town like Charlotte. Also, they can do without easier scheduling headaches and
having a startup program provide a certain victory for some teams needing wins to qualify for the playoffs.

Yes, you guys are thinking really "big".

App-a-latch-un
June 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Another guess:

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, yea it's the $100,000 penalty. Time to get over yourselves and join a conference in ALL sports. The picture should be coming into focus real clear right about now, nobody is impressed or foolish enough to take you. The bball team isn't elite enough for such a hold out.

jmufan
June 8th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Apparently not since football programs are closing shop. jkxlolx

gasoutherneagle
June 8th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Don't go there...
And, for football the WINNING is concreted in the South. In FCS: the epicenter is in STATESBORO GEORGIA!

App-a-latch-un
June 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Don't go there...
And, for football the WINNING is concreted in the South. In FCS: the epicenter is in STATESBORO GEORGIA!

You may have felt some aftershocks this year but it hasn't been the epicenter in quite a while ;) Who knows that fault line may be moving again.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Don't go there...

I thought it ended at Newark.... xlolx

Saint3333
June 8th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hey UNCC fans, nice poker face.

gasoutherneagle
June 9th, 2011, 03:11 AM
You may have felt some aftershocks this year but it hasn't been the epicenter in quite a while ;) Who knows that fault line may be moving again.

Georgia Southern winning percentage: .719
Appy State: .629

Nope... still in Statesboro. I'm sure I don't have to go into titles, playoff record, etc. xlolx

VBR_Productions
June 9th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Rose and the Charlotte administration will now focus on the CAA.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/09/2362232/2-leagues-turn-down-49ers-bid.html

henfan
June 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Judy Rose isn't the brightest bulb in the box, is she?

SideLine Shooter
June 9th, 2011, 07:52 AM

You got it.

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Gender stereotypes aside, this is slice one and two of the humble pie that the small UNCC fanbase has in it's future. The fact is, they shot themselves in the foot by announcing their FBS intentions and by holding their overrated basketball program up on a pedistool. Now it seems that their arrogance has royally screwed them. They are realizing that, as a football program alone, they offer nothing of value to any established conference. They're being denied by conferences that they thought to be below them and even by conferences below that. Welcome to the FCS UNCC and welcome to reality.

One thing i want to point out with your argument here; this is exactly why the SoCon expressed very little interest in Jacksonville State when Samford was brought in. Why take a school with announced intentions to move to FBS? It isn't good for stability.

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 08:06 AM

So, let me get this straight.

You start football, you announce you don't want to be in the subdivision before you play 1 game. Then you look for conference membership while telling everyone it's only for football and it's only temporary. Why would anyone take a member like that? It isn't good for conference stability in the least.

henfan
June 9th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah and not only that. You are apparently handed an opportunity to play all sports in a single conference with historic (ODU & VCU) & geographic (UNCW & GSU) rivals, one with media presence in Boston, NYC, Philly, Balt., DC & Atlanta, one with a recent history of multiple NCAA MBB bids, one that is arguably stronger competitively for most Olympic sports than your current conference and one without a steep penalty for eventual conference withdraw... and yet you still stubbornly maintain that you won't change your plan. Stupid.

FCS FB independence is absolute suicide for any start-up without a quick and immediate plan for reclassification. As an indy, there will be little chance of lining up enough competitive regular season games to garner playoff consideration. Without success on the field, it will be difficult for UNCC to sell tickets and gain the momentum they will need to build the program into one that could get serious consideration from an FBS conference.

Judy Rose & UNCC are f'ing this up in a big way. They are clearly amateurs flying by the seats of their pants.

The Cats
June 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Since they are near Charlotte the billboard would be on I-85. xlolx

maybe I-77

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah and not only that. You are apparently handed an opportunity to play all sports in a single conference with historic (ODU & VCU) & geographic (UNCW & GSU) rivals, one with media presence in Boston, NYC, Philly, Balt., DC & Atlanta, one with a recent history of multiple NCAA MBB bids, one that is arguably stronger competitively for most Olympic sports than your current conference and one without a steep penalty for eventual conference withdraw... and yet you still stubbornly maintain that you won't change your plan. Stupid.

FCS FB independence is absolute suicide for any start-up without a quick and immediate plan for reclassification. As an indy, there will be little chance of lining up enough competitive regular season games to garner playoff consideration. Without success on the field, it will be difficult for UNCC to sell tickets and gain the momentum they will need to build the program into one that could get serious consideration from an FBS conference.

Judy Rose & UNCC are f'ing this up in a big way. They are clearly amateurs flying by the seats of their pants.

Not only that, the SoCon and CAA are equals or better in everything, except for basketball for the SoCon. And if UNCC is so good, they'll make the tournament in the SoCon anyway. They obviously think the SoCon is inferior now, which is why they are back focusing on the CAA. So, my guess is the SoCon is off the table for the members here, no matter if they come crawling back or not.

And there's the point of, if the BCS schools leave FBS, it's most likely that the top FCS conferences will be in the new FBS division anyway.

Smitty
June 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
"Big" South schools/population: CSU/120k, CCU/30k, GWU/4k, LU/75k, Presby/8k, VMI/7k, SB/14k.

Charlotte pop 731k (17th in USA). Certainly the "big" south doesn't need the exposure and attendance
from playing in a little town like Charlotte. Also, they can do without easier scheduling headaches and
having a startup program provide a certain victory for some teams needing wins to qualify for the playoffs.

Wow I can't imagine how you are going to fit all 731k into a stadium that only seats 15,000

AppAlum2003
June 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Tell that to the 115k that live in Athens Georgia or the 53k that live in Auburn, AL.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Big South Commissioner Kyle Kallander wouldn't comment specifically on any contact he had with Charlotte.

"We've had conversations with any number of institutions about potential membership," said Kallander, whose league office is in Charlotte. "Anybody in our region would be a possibility."

I would not be a happy camper if I'm a member of the Big South Conference right now, and this is the public face of the conference. Anybody in our region would be a possibility? Really? At one fell swoop, he contradicts his rejection of UNCC (which, last I checked, was in the "region" of the Big South) but yet, at the same time, seems desperate to find new members - as long as they're not named UNCC, apparently.

How did this leadership have the vision to pull off the coup of adding Stony Brook and getting an autobid?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Not only that, the SoCon and CAA are equals or better in everything, except for basketball for the SoCon.

That's like saying "The Firebird and the Lotus are equals or better in everything, except the engine."

49RFootballNow
June 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I would not be a happy camper if I'm a member of the Big South Conference right now, and this is the public face of the conference. Anybody in our region would be a possibility? Really? At one fell swoop, he contradicts his rejection of UNCC (which, last I checked, was in the "region" of the Big South) but yet, at the same time, seems desperate to find new members - as long as they're not named UNCC, apparently.

How did this leadership have the vision to pull off the coup of adding Stony Brook and getting an autobid?

These are the 2 closest geographically compact FCS conferences in our area which is why we asked them first. It was best for our fans and team travel expenses, but neither were execptionally good fits institutionally for us. There's 2 schools in the SoCon with budgets like we plan to have (App and GSo) and none really in the Big South (Coastal/Lib the closest). Not surprisingly these 4 schools are the ones who were most interested in bringing us aboard. Not sure about how the SoCon teams break down vote wise, but from what I've heard the smaller schools in the BS wanted nothing to do with us as conference members.

So we continue our negotiations with the CAA and see where that leads. I was surprised initially at the BS rejection but reflecting on it now it makes a lot of sense.

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Even though Charlotte would out spend almost all of the Schools in the MEAC, MEAC Commissh. Dennis Thomas still needs to reach out to the 49ers.

91Niner
June 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Since the CAA has already made it clear that we have no interest in UNCC as a FB only affiliate, I take this quote from the article to mean that Rose/Charlotte are still considering or will reconsider all sports membership in the CAA now that there is no other option for football conference membership. Perhaps UNCC is finally realizing their bargaining position isn't nearly as strong as they thought it was going into these negotiations.

They've gone about it horribly (announcing FBS intentions, arrogance, etc), but I do think they have the options properly prioritized from the UNCC perspective.

1) CAA FB Affiliate (Nope)
2) SoCon FB Affiliate (Nope)
3) Big South FB Affiliate (Surprising Nope)
4) CAA All-Sports (Maybe?)
5) Indy (Fall back option, not an attractive one IMO)

I think its worth a slight step down in bball to join the best FCS football league, which is also better than the A10 in most other sports besides basketball.

Dude, you seriously need to get a clue. The CAA has already (last winter) "unofficially" offered an all-sport membership to Charlotte which Charlotte turned down and if you think the SoCon or Big South wouldn't be climbing all over themselves to get Charlotte for all sports you're crazy. Remember, this "rejection" you guys (mostly Ap people, btw) are claiming is based ONLY on a football spot, and most importantly a "temporary" one. Clearly, the wording used by the SoCon Commish shows that Charlotte has made it clear it intends to go FBS asap (could be 5 year, might be 10 years but I promise it won't be 20+).

Also, If Charlotte was to even consider moving to any of these 3 for all sports in the meantime, the CAA would be the only one remotely possible.

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 12:06 PM
That's like saying "The Firebird and the Lotus are equals or better in everything, except the engine."

That's not like saying the same thing at all.

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 12:08 PM
These are the 2 closest geographically compact FCS conferences in our area which is why we asked them first. It was best for our fans and team travel expenses, but neither were execptionally good fits institutionally for us. There's 2 schools in the SoCon with budgets like we plan to have (App and GSo) and none really in the Big South (Coastal/Lib the closest). Not surprisingly these 4 schools are the ones who were most interested in bringing us aboard. Not sure about how the SoCon teams break down vote wise, but from what I've heard the smaller schools in the BS wanted nothing to do with us as conference members.

So we continue our negotiations with the CAA and see where that leads. I was surprised initially at the BS rejection but reflecting on it now it makes a lot of sense.

There's nothing to back that up that App and GSU supported you.

Judging from fan reactions, WCU Elon and UTC were your supporting cast.

GlassOnion
June 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Wait... App was one of 4 schools interested in bringing uncc aboard? Is there evidence of this, or are you talking out of your a--?

Mountaineer
June 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Man, the amount of revisionist history and spin going on in this thread is giving a recent political story a run for the money. xlolx

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/625/unccbob.jpg

citdog
June 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Man, the amount of revisionist history and spin going on in this thread is giving a recent political story a run for the money. xlolx

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/625/unccbob.jpg

nice work!

love the "fans across the COUNTY" dig

GlassOnion
June 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/625/unccbob.jpg

LOL He's been hacked!

Mountaineer
June 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM
love the "fans across the COUNTY" dig

xsmiley_wix

49RFootballNow
June 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Wait... App was one of 4 schools interested in bringing uncc aboard? Is there evidence of this, or are you talking out of your a--?

Why wouldn't App? Some of you confuse your personal feelings with the professional feelings of your schools' administrators. Chancellor Peacock and Chancellor Dubois aren't enemies, far from it.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
i hope TDog is working some more MS Paint stuff.xlolx

Mountaineer
June 9th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Why wouldn't App?

Anything is possible, but again, do you have anything substantial to back up your claims? I have a feeling the newly hired UNCC Bob is going to get a workout this year. xthumbsupx

The Moody1
June 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Why wouldn't App? Some of you confuse your personal feelings with the professional feelings of your schools' administrators. Chancellor Peacock and Chancellor Dubois aren't enemies, far from it.

So you just made it up. It seems like a lot of that is going on at UNCC these days.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Big South "thinks small" and remains small. Got it.

Not asking you to name names, but I would also guess that Chattanooga would also have been interested as well if it indeed was a "big school" idea, since UTC is pretty large in its own right and is third behind App and Georgia Southern in terms of undergrad enrollment.

Uh oh - this is making me think about a Big South/SoCon realignment column! xlolx

49RFootballNow
June 9th, 2011, 01:08 PM
So you just made it up. It seems like a lot of that is going on at UNCC these days.

Well we learn from the best. How's that CUSA invite going?

GlassOnion
June 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Just to clarify, you were talkin' out your a--.

PaladinFan
June 9th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Well, it appears the SoCon is the place to be now. A few weeks ago you would have thought it was the weakest football conference in the country by reading this forum.

Mountaineer
June 9th, 2011, 01:16 PM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2199/unccbob2.jpg

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Well, it appears the SoCon is the place to be now. A few weeks ago you would have thought it was the weakest football conference in the country by reading this forum.

Haha :)

49RFootballNow
June 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Just to clarify, you were talkin' out your a--.

So all the Chancellors in the UNC System burn their bridges with each other every chance they get? That makes sense to you? That they openly work to screw each other over?

Just to clarify, I never said App or GSo were enthusiastic but read your own Commissioner's words:

There were a lot of positives, but we already have a very diverse membership

Now who there makes more sense as supporters of our addition? The small private schools or the larger public schools? We wouldn't have been there if not asked to make the presentation.

We knew from the beginning we wouldn't be invited to join the SoCon so I don't even know why we bothered to make the presentation in the first place. Common courtesy I guess.

Mntneer
June 9th, 2011, 01:34 PM
His point, which you continue to reinforce, is that you have no real evidence that any school in particular supported UNCCs addition. True or false?

49RFootballNow
June 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM
His point, which you continue to reinforce, is that you have no real evidence that any school in particular supported UNCCs addition. True or false?

True

None that I will reveal else I'll get no more info on this or future issues related to my school's athletics programs. It's second hand info anyway so you all can go have your fun. Enjoy.

Mountaineer
June 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
We knew from the beginning we wouldn't be invited to join the SoCon so I don't even know why we bothered to make the presentation in the first place. Common courtesy I guess.

xlolx

This is brilliant stuff. xbowx I especially like that you can write it all and not include a winkie at the end.

Paging UNCC Bob.. xwhistlex

GlassOnion
June 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM
True

None that I will reveal else I'll get no more info on this or future issues related to my school's athletics programs. It's second hand info anyway so you all can go have your fun. Enjoy.

This wasnt to hurt feelings or anything, but you can go around jumping to conclusions and presenting them as fact. Thats just weak.

Mountaineer
June 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM
These things practically write themselves. ;)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8913/unccbob3.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
June 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM
xlolx

49RFootballNow
June 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM
This wasnt to hurt feelings or anything, but you can go around jumping to conclusions and presenting them as fact. Thats just weak.

I trust the person who told me that App and GSo was our supporters so I'll take that as fact and the rest of you can take it however it pleases you too. If some can't decern a statement of fact from any other statement then they shouldn't have made it past high school. I do think a lot of folks think that their personal feelings on these things reflect those of the people who run their schools and athletics departments, and there is very little real support for that line of reasoning.

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM
These things practically write themselves. ;)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8913/unccbob3.jpg

xlolx

citdog
June 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Big South "thinks small" and remains small. Got it.

Not asking you to name names, but I would also guess that Chattanooga would also have been interested as well if it indeed was a "big school" idea, since UTC is pretty large in its own right and is third behind App and Georgia Southern in terms of undergrad enrollment.

Uh oh - this is making me think about a Big South/SoCon realignment column! xlolx

don't forget to add the

http://static.ivygateblog.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/whiteguilt.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Off the comment thread of the original blog posting:

They were turned down because the scale of the their program was too high for Big South play. Budget was 4-5x bigger than BS schools. Felt like Charlotte would be taking auto playoff bid in short period of time. As for Southern, they are at perfect number for football scheduling and private schools didn't want another large public in mix. Publics in SoCon did want Charlotte.

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/06/socon-big-south-turn-down-49ers.html#ixzz1Oo4SSGTN

It is an anon posting, but does corroborate what 49RFootballNow is saying.

Methinks the App fans are protesting a bit too much...

Apphole
June 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Assuming that UNCC would immediately compete for ANY conference at this point is a joke. I saw that comment too. Just because 2 delusional idiots agree on something doesn't make it valid.

91Niner
June 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Assuming that UNCC would immediately compete for ANY conference at this point is a joke. I saw that comment too. Just because 2 delusional idiots agree on something doesn't make it valid.

Wow.....the irony in you posting this.........lol

49RFootballNow
June 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM

He has a lot of nerve calling anyone an idiot, but what else would you expect from an a__hole?

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/12357/shots-fired-o.gif

Waco Kid
June 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I trust the person who told me that App and GSo was our supporters so I'll take that as fact and the rest of you can take it however it pleases you too. If some can't decern a statement of fact from any other statement then they shouldn't have made it past high school. I do think a lot of folks think that their personal feelings on these things reflect those of the people who run their schools and athletics departments, and there is very little real support for that line of reasoning.

I can tell you without a doubt the admin at ASU has no desire to add UNCC to the SoCon as long as we are staying there. Why would we vote you in and immediately validate your program as being on par with schools that have played at the top level of FCS for decades? Yes, lets vote in another school that we will have to compete against in recruiting. Makes perfect sense to me!

We would have no problem with you replacing us once we leave though...

superman7515
June 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I don't give any credibility to those comments as long as this is included:

Rose and Dubois tried and lost but at least they are on the right track in their thinking. Getting out of the A10 should the #1 goal for millions in expense savings.

Dont worry about crawling before you walk in football. There are enuff walkon discards in the Charlotte Metro area to have a D1A championship.

Think seriously about forming an all NEW CONFERENCE. The NCAA in Kansas City is always open to new leagues. They love new league formations.

With all the massive expanionism and population shift too the Southeastern region of America there is NO doubt that it could handle new conferences.

Sit back. Re-examine and scope the situation thoroughly. Make it D1 obviously and D1AA football.

There are a lot of dissatified schools who could solicited in the SEC, ACC, SoCon etc. 8-10 schools would be a cinch to agree to a new league. Make the central home in Charlotte and UNCC as host. This would draw immediate national and inter'nal MEDIA attention from ESPN, FoxSports, etc including all the major maps like SI.

Call it the Atlantic-South Conference.

Miami wants out
Clemson might want in
FSU maybe
Tenn Chat
UNC Charlotte
Furman
Richmond
WVU
Memphis
Arkansas? maybe
Western Carolina
East Carolina

lot of possibilities

One MAJOR in UNCCharlotte favor is the centralized location and having an NFL Stadium for playoff games.

So suddenly Florida State, Miami, Clemson, and Arkansas are going to want to leave a BCS conference to play 1AA football with Charlotte? Or any school for that matter? Get the f--- outta here.

Mountaineer
June 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Miami wants out
Clemson might want in
FSU maybe
Tenn Chat
UNC Charlotte
Furman
Richmond
WVU
Memphis
Arkansas? maybe
Western Carolina
East Carolina

Best conference alignment. Ever. xlmaox

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
West Virginia, Clemson, Florida State AND Furman! Brilliant! Now, all you need is Marshall! xlolx

App-a-latch-un
June 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Miami wants out
Clemson might want in
FSU maybe
Tenn Chat
UNC Charlotte
Furman
Richmond
WVU
Memphis
Arkansas? maybe
Western Carolina
East Carolina

This gets an automatic bid into AGS's Hall of Fame for "The Most Insane Thing Ever Written, Ever."

SoCon48
June 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM

decern=discern

ursus arctos horribilis
June 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Miami wants out
Clemson might want in
FSU maybe
Tenn Chat
UNC Charlotte
Furman
Richmond
WVU
Memphis
Arkansas? maybe
Western Carolina
East Carolina

WHAT THE...?!!

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 10:20 PM

Off the comment thread of the original blog posting:

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/06/socon-big-south-turn-down-49ers.html#ixzz1Oo4SSGTN

It is an anon posting, but does corroborate what 49RFootballNow is saying.

Methinks the App fans are protesting a bit too much...

The blogger is wrong, App fans are right, and the UNCC fans are wrong.

This is straight from a reporter...

App did not support UNCC. GSU and Western gave wary support. Furman, Wofford, The Citadel and App were against. UTC, Elon and Samford were neutrall. The irony wasn't on a public to private split; it was the fact that Charleston, UNCG and Davidson, who normally abstain on these votes, were dead set against it and were not going to abstain.

I have no print to back it up. And the blogger in Charlotte is dead wrong; he's got no more quotes to back up his opinion than anything else. All I can say is that was the report from a sports writer locally on the SoCon situation.

gophoenix
June 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I can tell you without a doubt the admin at ASU has no desire to add UNCC to the SoCon as long as we are staying there. Why would we vote you in and immediately validate your program as being on par with schools that have played at the top level of FCS for decades? Yes, lets vote in another school that we will have to compete against in recruiting. Makes perfect sense to me!

We would have no problem with you replacing us once we leave though...

So, let me get this straight.

You want no more private schools.
But you don't want area schools that you have to recruit against.
You want public schools as long as you don't have to compete with them
And since you don't want area schools, you want schools that are out of area, but will travel well to App (because that seems to be a gripe with SoCon schools)

So essentially, you want your cake and eat it too, well done.

49RFootballNow
June 9th, 2011, 11:13 PM
The blogger is wrong, App fans are right, and the UNCC fans are wrong.

This is straight from a reporter...

I have no print to back it up.

Is he going to put out an article?

gophoenix
June 10th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Is he going to put out an article?

He did, just not what that information specifically; which is why I asked the followup. The information was garnered from one of the NC SoCon school's staff. The reporter was dead set on it not being a public/private split or even a big school/little school split.

As much as everyone posts about the SoCon being polarized on this public/private split. ETSU's waiver was a split among support from an interesting setup of App/Elon/UTC/Western and others against with non-football abstaining. Elon's admittance was unanimous, App abstained. Wofford's admittance was unanimous. Samford's admittance was unanimous. Coastal's vote was split on support from GSU/Elon/Western/App and against by Furman/Wofford/The Citadel.

The decisions are never on "party lines" like some might indicate.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 10th, 2011, 07:11 AM
He did, just not what that information specifically; which is why I asked the followup. The information was garnered from one of the NC SoCon school's staff. The reporter was dead set on it not being a public/private split or even a big school/little school split.

As much as everyone posts about the SoCon being polarized on this public/private split. ETSU's waiver was a split among support from an interesting setup of App/Elon/UTC/Western and others against with non-football abstaining. Elon's admittance was unanimous, App abstained. Wofford's admittance was unanimous. Samford's admittance was unanimous. Coastal's vote was split on support from GSU/Elon/Western/App and against by Furman/Wofford/The Citadel.

I'd love to see a similar analysis of the voting of the Big South on this matter.

Saint3333
June 10th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Non football members voting on football matters, priceless.

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 11:10 AM

So, all the in-state schools opposed... Figures. smh

gophoenix
June 10th, 2011, 11:12 AM

UTC may have opposed too, but I just cannot remember if they did or not.

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM

WE HOPE YOU DON'T LIKE IT!

BECAUSE WE LOVE IT!

UCLA (upper conway lower aynor) is right where you belong.......the "little south"

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
WE HOPE YOU DON'T LIKE IT!

BECAUSE WE LOVE IT!

UCLA (upper conway lower aynor) is right where you belong.......the "little south"

Next, to the bottom of the SCON is where El Cid belongs.

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM
the SOCON is where El Cid belongs.

and usc-coastal doesn't

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Yep, you're right we don't belong at the bottom of the SoCon! You guys are pretty good whipping boys for the top SoCon schools.

Question??? What's something that El Cid won't be a part of anytime soon???

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=189820&t=o (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/189820/jim-mora-playoffs.html) GIFSoup (http://www.gifsoup.com/)

Yes! You are correct Jim Mora.

Skjellyfetti
June 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM
What's something that El Cid won't be a part of anytime soon???

modernity

T-Dog
June 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I wonder how the non-football schools voted on Coastal.

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
modernity

Lol that too!

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Yep, you're right we don't belong at the bottom of the SoCon! You guys are pretty good whipping boys for the top SoCon schools.

Question??? What's something that El Cid won't be a part of anytime soon???

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=189820&t=o (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/189820/jim-mora-playoffs.html) GIFSoup (http://www.gifsoup.com/)

Yes! You are correct Jim Mora.

I think we will be just fine thank you very much. I trust this guy to get the job done.

http://www.citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2006-07/photos/5110/higgins_sideline.jpg?max_width=450

I think we all know that we could make the playoffs every year if we played in such an inferior league as you do. We like to play the BEST and measure ourselves against them. I wouldn't expect anyone who claims coastal carolina to understand that. Really enjoy the cccc smack........it's been too long.

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I HATE MY FATHER!!!!!

WE KNOW

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM

I think we will be just fine thank you very much. I trust this guy to get the job done.

http://www.citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2006-07/photos/5110/higgins_sideline.jpg?max_width=450

I think we all know that we could make the playoffs every year if we played in such an inferior league as you do. We like to play the BEST and measure ourselves against them. I wouldn't expect anyone who claims coastal carolina to understand that. Really enjoy the cccc smack........it's been too long.

Judging by your RESPECTABLE 1-6 conference record it seems as if El Cid and Coastal should switch places. Since the Big South is deemed inferior then it needs inferior teams and El Cid's resume meshes perfectly. A you guys would get to play VMI every year then. xnodx

I enjoy the smack to Citdog. I can't wait till football season this should be fun...

HighCountry
June 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Judging by your RESPECTABLE 1-6 conference record it seems as if El Cid and Coastal should switch places. Since the Big South is deemed inferior then it needs inferior teams and El Cid's resume meshes perfectly. A you guys would get to play VMI every year then. xnodx

I enjoy the smack to Citdog. I can't wait till football season this should be fun...

That's a great idea, but no one likes driving through speedtrapUSA to make it to Conway.

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM
you guys

I said something that would work well in the lounge!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM
xlolx

I got ya on that one citdog.

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 06:34 PM
xlolx

I got ya on that one citdog.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/10/129153581604735273.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
June 10th, 2011, 06:38 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/10/129153581604735273.jpg

Fair enough.:o

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I said something that would work well in the lounge!

Wait.... I've got something even funnier......

November 27th 2010: Men's Basketball game

Coastal- 72
El Cid- 64

March 23rd 2011: Baseball
Coastal-6
El Cid- 5

April 20th 2011: Baseball
Coastal-7
El Cid- 4

El Cid wanna play us in football too? xnodx

And apparently this is how El Cid guys keep warm in the winter. They all crowd together in one room and well....Do this

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w287/bobbythekidd/sowrong.jpg?t=1256345297

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Wait.... I've got something even funnier......

November 27th 2010: Men's Basketball game

Coastal- 72
El Cid- 64

March 23rd 2011: Baseball
Coastal-6
El Cid- 5

April 20th 2011: Baseball
Coastal-7
El Cid- 4

El Cid wanna play us in football too? xnodx

And apparently this is how El Cid guys keep warm in the winter. They all crowd together in one room and well....Do this

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w287/bobbythekidd/sowrong.jpg?t=1256345297

worst basketball team we've had in several years and the worst baseball team we've had in 20 years. That baseball team did manage to defeat the defending national champions though.

I see that you're new to the internets so, my apologies to gatw or analjelly I forget which, here are a few other things you should see.

http://www.mudvillegazette.com/milblogs/VMI%20Cheerleader.JPG

http://www.now.org/nnt/08-95/hyatt.jpg

http://www.citadel.edu/pao/women/first_AfAmwomen.jpg

do you just want to get it all out of the way now?

picked up crabs once in conway

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 08:01 PM
worst basketball team we've had in several years and the worst baseball team we've had in 20 years. That baseball team did manage to defeat the defending national champions though.

I see that you're new to the internets so, my apologies to gatw or analjelly I forget which, here are a few other things you should see.

http://www.mudvillegazette.com/milblogs/VMI%20Cheerleader.JPG

http://www.now.org/nnt/08-95/hyatt.jpg

http://www.citadel.edu/pao/women/first_AfAmwomen.jpg

do you just want to get it all out of the way now?

picked up crabs once in conway

Lol Yep, the seafood is great.

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Lol Yep, the seafood is great.

not the "eatin' kind"

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk376/chan_albe/drunk1.jpg

Coastal44
June 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
not the "eatin' kind"

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk376/chan_albe/drunk1.jpg

Well, I see why you got them then! You Citadel boys sure no how to pick'em xsmhx

At Coastal we have much better taste...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UG9Hw0wwRLA/SW--1KKSOLI/AAAAAAAAAAk/icDiqoXJbec/S220/blogpic2.jpg

http://collegemansion.com/images/girls/572liquid_tunnel4.jpg

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/coas/sports/w-volley/auto_headshot/5653281.jpeg

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/coas/sports/w-baskbl/auto_headshot/5696891.jpeg

citdog
June 11th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I think the second from the top is CCUcheer. She used to post here.

On the third one with that schnozz I'm calling

http://flagspot.net/images/i/il.gif

Coastal44
June 11th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Yea, it could possibly be her I'm not sure. And the 3rd chick is of Asian decent. Say what you want about her she's hot.

Apphole
June 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM
From this pissing contest I have concluded:

1. Coastal and Citadel both suck (I already knew that)
2. Everyone in South Carolina is racist and sexist (I already knew that too)
3. Citdog gets away with saying anything on this forum

citdog
June 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM

1.THE

2. NOT ME

3. shut your whore mouth

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2011, 01:21 PM

On #3 Apphole. Citdog is a friend and we talk on the phone quite a bit. He's a funny guy and most of what he says is in humor...expecially the "shut your whore mouth" part. That is one of those "comfort by frequent usage" type of things. It is something that got several people banned a couple of owners back even though it was being said to friends and in humor. We took it and cannonized it on CS and I think 93henfan used it a couple of weeks ago on here as a litmus test.

I want people to loosen up a little and I am trying to let the boundaries out kinda slowly to let people get used to the change. I know citdogs intention was humor and not harm so I took it that way...and hope others will begin to do the same and drop the oversensitivity to anything said in a discussion. I don't want some little sanitized PC forum because I will guarantee you that those kinds of forums are no fun at all to be a part of.

I'm sure you've noticed that in the past couple of weeks you've gotten away with more than you did when we first took over. The boundaries are stretching but we can't let it go to just a smack board so as long as it is kept to mostly facts or solid opinion on the FCSD board then it will probably fly.

Me shutting my whore mouth was a pretty solid opinion at the time.

HighCountry
June 11th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Well hats off for allowing crude humor! College football would not be College football without **** talking other schools. (Old guys at Chattanooga treated us like we were at the Greater Hickory Classic last year)

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Well hats off for allowing crude humor! College football would not be College football without **** talking other schools. (Old guys at Chattanooga treated us like we were at the Greater Hickory Classic last year)

Well there is a difference between **** talking your friends and just being an asshole. I hope we skew more towards the former because the latter is really what should go on the smack board. I want it to be fun here so a certain amount of that involves guys going after each other a little bit but it can't always be a fist fight.

Coastal44
June 11th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I have monitored this forum a little before I joined and I enjoy the humor. I conclude this football season will be a lot of fun!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I have monitored this forum a little before I joined and I enjoy the humor. I conclude this football season will be a lot of fun!

Very glad to have ya 44 because it's a lot of fun to hang out in any environment with guys that can dish it out and TAKE it.

Apphole
June 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I love the shift. The cry babies who message the mods (cough cough Elon fans cough) will eventually leave and AGS will be a much better place. I will closely monitor citdog's comments to know exactly how far I can push the envelope, though I probably won't push it quite as far. I would just feel wierd google image searching a Jewish flag to respond to a picture of some girl with curly hair and a dark complexion. Then again he probably didn't need to he seems to have quite a repertoir of pics like that at the ready.

tarmac
June 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM
On #3 Apphole. Citdog is a friend and we talk on the phone quite a bit. He's a funny guy and most of what he says is in humor...expecially the "shut your whore mouth" part. That is one of those "comfort by frequent usage" type of things. It is something that got several people banned a couple of owners back even though it was being said to friends and in humor. We took it and cannonized it on CS and I think 93henfan used it a couple of weeks ago on here as a litmus test.

I want people to loosen up a little and I am trying to let the boundaries out kinda slowly to let people get used to the change. I know citdogs intention was humor and not harm so I took it that way...and hope others will begin to do the same and drop the oversensitivity to anything said in a discussion. I don't want some little sanitized PC forum because I will guarantee you that those kinds of forums are no fun at all to be a part of.

I'm sure you've noticed that in the past couple of weeks you've gotten away with more than you did when we first took over. The boundaries are stretching but we can't let it go to just a smack board so as long as it is kept to mostly facts or solid opinion on the FCSD board then it will probably fly.

Me shutting my whore mouth was a pretty solid opinion at the time.

"shut your whore mouth"

citdog
June 11th, 2011, 02:37 PM
"shut your whore mouth"

That's THE STYLE!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2011, 03:18 PM
"shut your whore mouth"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWmK_y399qk

That would have worked in so many different posts lately but you are the lucky recipient.

citdog
June 11th, 2011, 03:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWmK_y399qk

That would have worked in so many different posts lately but you are the lucky recipient.

NO COPS!

TheBisonator
June 11th, 2011, 03:25 PM
NO COPS!

Are beans OK??

citdog
June 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2799485545_6be3b2d426.jpg

superman7515
June 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM
But we need them...
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq98/Ska-Rooster/Beaners.jpg

49RFootballNow
June 12th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I've accepted the fact that we'll be joining the CAA as a full member. Looks more and more likely everyday.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/12/2372247/the-49ers-are-in-a-football-quandary.html

whitey
June 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. I think you guys would be a great all sports fit for the CAA. I'm not going to try to fool myself or anyone else and say it's not a step down for basketball, because it would be right now. However, CAA basketball is clearly on the rise and I think overall the pros for UNCC will outweigh the cons when all is said and done. Instead of playing the Saint Bonnie's and La Salle's of the world UNCC will have the opportunity to build rivalries with other large public metro area universities like GMU, VCU and ODU. Additionally, most (non Basketball) sports are better in the CAA than the A-10 and to have a great conference with other like-minded Universities for your football team to call home is worth it.

Saint3333
June 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hopefully this is the first step in an eventual new FBS conference. Yes I know that is currently against NCAA regulations.

The Cats
June 13th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Hopefully this is the first step in an eventual new FBS conference. Yes I know that is currently against NCAA regulations.

That does not compute. Unless you know something the rest of us don't.

superman7515
June 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
You can't move up without an invite from an established FBS conference, so unless a bunch of teams get an invite at the same time, do their probationary time with that conference, and then split off (which is as close to impossible to see happening as can be) there's no way to have a new FBS conference.

GannonFan
June 13th, 2011, 09:09 AM
That does not compute. Unless you know something the rest of us don't.

He's just referring to the current rule that teams moving up to FBS need to be already accepted into a current FBS conference - technically, a whole group of non-FBS teams couldn't get together, form a conference, and move en masse to FBS. However, the legality and force of such a rule is tenous at best. I doubt it would hold up if a group of teams was committed to moving up as a conference.

henfan
June 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
...technically, a whole group of non-FBS teams couldn't get together, form a conference, and move en masse to FBS. However, the legality and force of such a rule is tenous at best. I doubt it would hold up if a group of teams was committed to moving up as a conference.

I'd agree. I don't know anti-trust law but the NCAA might have a legal challenge on their hands if they tried to prohibit reclassification of any conference that otherwise met FBS criteria.

BearsCountry
June 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Maybe the A-10 and CAA can do a little switch aroo. Hofstra for Charlotte.

cmaxwellgsu
June 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM
It's starting to sound like UNCC really wanted the CAA anyway. They just tried to get something for nothing from either the SoCon or the Big South. When they couldn't keep basketball in the A10 and have a football home, they went back to option one.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 13th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Maybe the A-10 and CAA can do a little switch aroo. Hofstra for Charlotte.

Nothing would make the athletics department at Hofstra happier. Unfortunately, the A-10 is not returning their calls, and Charlotte to the CAA I don't think will change anything on that score.

VBR_Productions
June 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Per the 49ers head coach, the two conferences rejected Charlotte's proposals because they are afraid of their program.

"'I kind of take that as a compliment,' Lambert says about the rejections from the Big South and the Southern Conference. 'They might be a little nervous to play us.'"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/17/2385080/waiting-for-the-first-49ers-freshmen.html#ixzz1PYRFoppF

T-Dog
June 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
http://procrastinationstation101.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/1232550426_worf-face-palm.gif%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D225

whitey
June 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Haha, well played GIF.

T-Dog
June 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Aug. 31, 2013 - CAMPBELL (H)
Sept. 7, 2013 - CHOWAN (H)
Sept. 14, 2013 - NC CENTRAL (H)
Sept. 21, 2013 - at Old Dominion (A)
Sept. 28, 2013 - at Presbyterian (A) <------Big South
Oct. 5, 2013 - GARDNER-WEBB (H) <------Big South
Oct. 12, 2013 - UNC PEMBROKE (H)
Oct. 19, 2013 -
Oct. 26, 2013 - at Charleston Southern (A) <------Big South
Nov. 2, 2013 - at Coastal Carolina (A) <------Big South
Nov. 9, 2013 - NORTH GREENVILLE (H)
Nov. 16, 2013 -
Nov. 23, 2013 - at Morehead State (A)

Aug. 30, 2014 -
Sept. 6, 2014 - OLD DOMINION (H)
Sept. 13, 2014 - at NC Central (A)
Sept. 20, 2014 - at Campbell (A)
Sept. 27, 2014 - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN (H) <------Big South
Oct. 4, 2014 - at Gardner Webb (A) <------Big South
Oct. 11, 2014 - at The Citadel (A) <------Southern
Oct. 18, 2014 -
Oct. 25, 2014 - GEORGIA SOUTHERN (H) <------Southern
Nov. 1, 2014 - at Western Carolina (A) <------Southern
Nov. 8, 2014 - COASTAL CAROLINA (H) <------Big South
Nov. 15, 2014 - at Furman (A) <------Southern
Nov. 22, 2014 - MOREHEAD STATE (H)

Sept. 12, 2015 - PRESBYTERIAN (H) <------Big South
Sept. 26, 2015 - at Georgia Southern (A) <------Southern
TBD, 2015 - FURMAN (H) <------Southern
TBD, 2015 - WESTERN CAROLINA (H) <------Southern

Yep, real nervous. xnonox

The Moody1
June 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Per the 49ers head coach, the two conferences rejected Charlotte's proposals because they are afraid of their program.

"'I kind of take that as a compliment,' Lambert says about the rejections from the Big South and the Southern Conference. 'They might be a little nervous to play us.'"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/17/2385080/waiting-for-the-first-49ers-freshmen.html#ixzz1PYRFoppF

Hello, I just graduated from UNCC with a BS in Delusion and I agree with every word our "never been a head coach" says. xrotatehx

Apphole
June 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM
WOW. just WOW

dgtw
June 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Why did Charlotte leave C-USA a few years ago? Were they kicked out for not having football or did they leave on their own?

T-Dog
June 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Officially they left of their own accord.

Realistically they were kicked out for not having football.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1089302_f260.jpg

dgtw
June 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks. St. Louis left at the same time so I kind of figured it was a mutual decision to shore up the league to an even dozen, all sports conference. Too bad (for them) they didn't decide to start football then.