PDA

View Full Version : 2011 SoCon

Milktruck74
June 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
The more I look at the SoCon, the more cloudy the top looks. I see ASU, GSU and Woffy as the frontrunners, but (it may be wishful thinking) I see Chattanooga with an outside shot. Also, the more I look at Elon and Furman....I dont see them being contenders, but I do see them ruining someones chances...that's 4 contenders, and 6 teams that will have some bearing on the outcome....Thoughts?

chattownmocs
June 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Don't be so modest. I think me and you both know the mocs are there in the upper echelon of the entire country. Certainly not playing 4th fiddle in this division in 2011.

Apphole
June 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Go ahead and start marinading that foot now...

citdog
June 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Don't be so modest. I think me and you both know the mocs are there in the upper echelon of the entire country. Certainly not playing 4th fiddle in this division in 2011.

will be very amusing when you're back to the same old ****ty mockingbird teams of old how quickly you queers put your volunteer shirts back on. xnodx

SideLine Shooter
June 6th, 2011, 12:58 PM
elon wins the SoCon this year!!!!

whoanellie
June 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
The more I look at the SoCon, the more cloudy the top looks. I see ASU, GSU and Woffy as the frontrunners, but (it may be wishful thinking) I see Chattanooga with an outside shot. Also, the more I look at Elon and Furman....I dont see them being contenders, but I do see them ruining someones chances...that's 4 contenders, and 6 teams that will have some bearing on the outcome....Thoughts? can't wait to get more of BJ's stuff '10 stats vs Elon in Chatt. (B.J. Coleman 33-63-5 386 5 30 1
Totals... 33-63-5 386 5 30 1 ) that's 5 int's against Elon. and you gave up what? 49 quote Brando in "on the waterfront" "I coulda been a contender" ! just say'n

HighCountry
June 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM
GSU will be the only team that will give us a serious run for our money. UTC and Woff will both be great games as well. I wouldn't get the hopes of Elon and Furman fans up...

Smitty
June 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
elon wins the SoCon this year!!!!

Hey if we are going to joke around then WCU gets a playoff berth and gets to the semi-finals before being eliminated 62-7

SideLine Shooter
June 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hey if we are going to joke around then WCU gets a playoff berth and gets to the semi-finals before being eliminated 62-7

OK, fine with me.

superman7515
June 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM

By Rhode Island.

blueballs
June 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I can easily see 4 SoCon teams (Woff, App, GSU, Chatty) making the playoffs this year.

IMO Wofford has to be the favorite simply because they host both App and GSU.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I agree the SoCon is up for grabs. I think the schedule favors App St, but it's going to be fun to see it all unfold.

Skjellyfetti
June 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Can a Furman fan give me the lowdown on your team for next year? They're probably the team I know the least about heading into the season.

Milktruck74
June 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one out there that sees the conference as a complete toss up this year. SoCon gets 4 in and two teams sit at home that are good enough to beat 5 or 6 that make the playoffs.

Smitty
June 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
So what is probably going to happen is each team will destroy each other and only 1 team will go to the playoffs.

Skjellyfetti
June 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM
So what is probably going to happen is each team will destroy each other and only 1 team will go to the playoffs.

Not likely. SoCon is almost assured 2 spots. 3 is likely. 4 on the high side. We probably would have had 4 last year if Chatty didn't fart away either the Jax State or App game.

LeadBolt
June 6th, 2011, 03:01 PM

I can't see So Con ending up with less than 3 spots, with 4 likely.

asumike83
June 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Barring injuries or a surprisingly poor showing, I would think that ASU, GSU and Wofford will all be in the playoff field. Chattanooga is the wild card that could possibly make the SoCon a 4-bid league, but much of it will depend on how badly the top teams beat each other up in the head-to-head games. I do like ASU's chances to get the auto-bid because we play both GSU and Chattanooga in Boone, but anything could happen. I'd be surprised if any other SoCon team remains in the playoff picture late into the season, but Furman and/or Elon could be good enough to rain on somebody's parade.

phoenixphanatic21
June 6th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Barring injuries or a surprisingly poor showing, I would think that ASU, GSU and Wofford will all be in the playoff field. Chattanooga is the wild card that could possibly make the SoCon a 4-bid league, but much of it will depend on how badly the top teams beat each other up in the head-to-head games. I do like ASU's chances to get the auto-bid because we play both GSU and Chattanooga in Boone, but anything could happen. I'd be surprised if any other SoCon team remains in the playoff picture late into the season, but Furman and/or Elon could be good enough to rain on somebody's parade.

Ditto everything you said. The way I see it, App and Georgia Southern are the top two teams, with Wofford not far behind. Chatty's behind them, followed by Elon/Furman and everyone else. I say App, GaSo and Wofford get in and Chatty will just miss a spot in the playoffs.

SU DOG
June 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I don't have any pie-in-the-sky prediction about my team making the playoffs or winning the SoCon, although that should be the goal of any squad at this time of the year. I do, however, have some opinions developed from watching spring practice. Our changes - bringing in good young assistants, has brought about an enthusiasm in our players that has been lacking. At every single position, Samford has talent, experience, and depth. The only exception to that is a new punter. I have not seen this much speed on both sides of the ball since our playoff runs in the early nineties. This may not be saying much, but the team I saw this spring would beat last season's squad easily. Thankfully, we seem to now have an offense. Again, no bold predictions, but I look forward to this season, and I definitely believe that Samford might surprise some folks in the SoCon.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I stand behind who I believe will make the playoffs (most likely to least): ASU, GSU, Chattanooga and maybe Wofford. I also think Furman will make some noise but are a year away.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Not likely. SoCon is almost assured 2 spots. 3 is likely. 4 on the high side. We probably would have had 4 last year if Chatty didn't fart away either the Jax State or App game.

This here is the most likely scenario I've read so far.

Dinman31
June 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
There are three things holding Furman back from battling in the top 3 in the SoCon this season:

1.) QB... Derrick is likely to start ahead of Forcier but Fowler has to develop and/or recruit a top-line quarterback before Furman will contend.

2.) O-Line Depth... Furman has 3-4 good starters on the line VERY little depth at this point.

3.) D-Line Star... ASU, GSU and Wofford have been successful with a STAR defensive linemen wrecking offenses. Furman doesn't have one.

Milktruck74
June 6th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I predict that Furman has atleast one win against, ASU,GSU, Woffy, or (as much as it pains me to say) Chattanooga.

Blueandwhitefightfight
June 6th, 2011, 11:14 PM
While I think GSU is slightly above ASU as top team for 2011, I think we are at a huge disadvantage to ASU when it comes to making the playoffs. I think even Wofford and Chatty have a better shot than GSU honestly. The reason I'm saying this is because our athletic director decided to make it harder than it reasonably should be to make the playoffs due to his scheduling f***up.

As you probably know, Coastal Carolina backed out on playing us this year. Apparently, our AD didn't set up a buy out clause in the contract and had to let CCU postpone the game. This left us with an open game. Well, even though there were a few DI teams looking for that exact date (according to info seen on here and on another site), our AD decided to schedule a Division II team in CCU's place. So no matter if we beat them by 1 or 1 million, it doesn't count as a win b/c it isn't DI. To further compound the situation, we are playing Alabama as the last game of the season. Chances are that isn't going to count as a win either.

Basically, we are walking into the season with a 2 game DI win deficit. This means we can only lose one or two games other than that. Lose one, we will almost certainly still make it. Lose 2, will be strongly on the bubble. Lose anymore than 2, we are OUT.

To make matters even more against GSU, our by-week is the 4th week of the season in between Tusculum (zzz) and Western Carolina (zzz). We play Furman on Oct 15, then App. St. in Boone 2 weeks later. Then 2 weeks after that we go to Spartanburg (to Paulson NorthEast) and play Wofford. The week after that is Bama in Tuscaloosa. We have a game every week from Sept 24th until Nov 19th. So even if we do stay healthy and only have 3 games that arent DI victories, our guys are gonna be really tired and beat up. If we don't get a seed and have to play in the first round, the odds are even further against us.

So while we have 21 of 22 starters coming back, our AD is not setting us up for success like he should be. We have the perfect storm as far as personnel go. We have almost the worst case scenario as far as schedule goes. The only way it could be worse is if we are playing the 3rd OOC game with a team we might lose to. I don't see us losing to Presbyrterian College.

Coastal44
June 7th, 2011, 12:56 AM
While I think GSU is slightly above ASU as top team for 2011, I think we are at a huge disadvantage to ASU when it comes to making the playoffs. I think even Wofford and Chatty have a better shot than GSU honestly. The reason I'm saying this is because our athletic director decided to make it harder than it reasonably should be to make the playoffs due to his scheduling f***up.

As you probably know, Coastal Carolina backed out on playing us this year. Apparently, our AD didn't set up a buy out clause in the contract and had to let CCU postpone the game. This left us with an open game. Well, even though there were a few DI teams looking for that exact date (according to info seen on here and on another site), our AD decided to schedule a Division II team in CCU's place. So no matter if we beat them by 1 or 1 million, it doesn't count as a win b/c it isn't DI. To further compound the situation, we are playing Alabama as the last game of the season. Chances are that isn't going to count as a win either.

Basically, we are walking into the season with a 2 game DI win deficit. This means we can only lose one or two games other than that. Lose one, we will almost certainly still make it. Lose 2, will be strongly on the bubble. Lose anymore than 2, we are OUT.

To make matters even more against GSU, our by-week is the 4th week of the season in between Tusculum (zzz) and Western Carolina (zzz). We play Furman on Oct 15, then App. St. in Boone 2 weeks later. Then 2 weeks after that we go to Spartanburg (to Paulson NorthEast) and play Wofford. The week after that is Bama in Tuscaloosa. We have a game every week from Sept 24th until Nov 19th. So even if we do stay healthy and only have 3 games that arent DI victories, our guys are gonna be really tired and beat up. If we don't get a seed and have to play in the first round, the odds are even further against us.

So while we have 21 of 22 starters coming back, our AD is not setting us up for success like he should be. We have the perfect storm as far as personnel go. We have almost the worst case scenario as far as schedule goes. The only way it could be worse is if we are playing the 3rd OOC game with a team we might lose to. I don't see us losing to Presbyrterian College.

Don't blame us blame Towson and Georgia State they both backed out on us for FBS opponents. And both of those games were home games so we had to reschedule with GaSo in order to fill that date with a team that agreed to come to our place and play us. And it just so happened that it was the week of our game with GaSo. Trust me we wanted nothing more then to come to Statesboro for our rematch.

Blueandwhitefightfight
June 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Don't blame us blame Towson and Georgia State they both backed out on us for FBS opponents. And both of those games were home games so we had to reschedule with GaSo in order to fill that date with a team that agreed to come to our place and play us. And it just so happened that it was the week of our game with GaSo. Trust me we wanted nothing more then to come to Statesboro for our rematch.

You could've. You are still playing a game on that date, yes? ALSO against a Division II team. Without playing Catawba, you would still have had 5 home games. With Catawba, you have 6. I don't know the math, but im guessing that the money you would have made from going to Statesboro and getting a cut of the profit is about the same as playing a DII team at home and having to pay them to come play (with less than the normal DI attendance).

So both Athletic Directors are inept apparently. Looking at your schedule, your OOC opponents are Furman, Georgia, Western Carolina, NC AT&T and DII Catawba.

You are in the same boat we are in. UGA is going to beat you. Catawba doesn't count.

I hope both teams don't make the playoffs so both athletic directors can realize that the GSU/CCU should've happened this year for both money and playoff reasons. (and yes, I realize that only one team would win the GSU/CCU game and benefit from the W)

Coastal44
June 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
You could've. You are still playing a game on that date, yes? ALSO against a Division II team. Without playing Catawba, you would still have had 5 home games. With Catawba, you have 6. I don't know the math, but im guessing that the money you would have made from going to Statesboro and getting a cut of the profit is about the same as playing a DII team at home and having to pay them to come play (with less than the normal DI attendance).

So both Athletic Directors are inept apparently. Looking at your schedule, your OOC opponents are Furman, Georgia, Western Carolina, NC AT&T and DII Catawba.

You are in the same boat we are in. UGA is going to beat you. Catawba doesn't count.

I hope both teams don't make the playoffs so both athletic directors can realize that the GSU/CCU should've happened this year for both money and playoff reasons. (and yes, I realize that only one team would win the GSU/CCU game and benefit from the W)

I get what your saying and is was pissed when they removed GaSo from the schedule, as our schedule before Towson and GaSt backed out was really good. I think the reason being is that we wanted 6 home games as I know we had 5 last year and the previous year I believe. I don't our AD wanted us to play Catawba or Western Carolina.

Reign of Terrier
June 7th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Having lost some of my knowledge since January concerning the SoCon, I'm going to echo the sentiment everyone feels on this board. App, GSU, Wofford, and Chatty should all compete for playoff spots. Elon and Furman should be decent, and both should pull some upsets if not some scares. I would have to say Elon has a better chance of making noise than Furman though. Of the top 4, I think App looks weaker than they have ever been since their run began but they are King of the Mountain (pun intended) and prediction wise I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt, there's no reason to think they can't make a run again. GSU looks great, but honestly I don't think they're going to be as good as they were in the playoffs last year, they caught fire at the right time. I think they'll have a sophomore slump of sorts. Wofford's my homer pick to win it. We return a lot on defense, even though we had to dismiss a couple players. We had great depth before the dismissals but now I'd say we have average depth as opposed to a lack of depth. We did very well with recruiting and I think our offense will improve from its inconsistencies of last year. Chattanooga is a wild card, it wouldn't surprise me if they finished 6-5 and it wouldn't surprise me if they won the SoCon.

Erks Eagles
June 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I think we (GSU) caught fire at the right time last year, too. I believe ASU is at the top followed by GSU/Woffy/Chatty in some similar order. The SoCon will get 3 teams in the playoffs next year, and it will be a battle to claim that 3rd spot.

GSU goes on the road to ASU and Woffy - those will be VERY tough games.

gophoenix
June 7th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Serious question, is there really a payout on a 1 for 1 contract? I could understand on a 1 for 0, 2 for 1 or 3 for 1; but for a simple home and home agreement, does GSU really do a payout?

The Eagle's Cliff
June 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Serious question, is there really a payout on a 1 for 1 contract? I could understand on a 1 for 0, 2 for 1 or 3 for 1; but for a simple home and home agreement, does GSU really do a payout?

I'm pretty sure we paid NDSU the buy-out penalty so we could get a sixth home game, which is still profitable after the payout. We could've filled the Coastal slot with another FCS school ONLY if we were willing to do home-home. Our FBS schedule is full through 2015 which only leaves 2 OOC games each year. If we want 6 home games, and we do, those two can't be home-home deals. Next year Jacksonville and Howard come to Statesboro and Coastal still owes us the trip in '13. Look for Presbyterian to come back or a similar school from the Big South, MEAC, or Pioneer.

gophoenix
June 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty sure we paid NDSU the buy-out penalty so we could get a sixth home game, which is still profitable after the payout. We could've filled the Coastal slot with another FCS school ONLY if we were willing to do home-home. Our FBS schedule is full through 2015 which only leaves 2 OOC games each year. If we want 6 home games, and we do, those two can't be home-home deals. Next year Jacksonville and Howard come to Statesboro and Coastal still owes us the trip in '13. Look for Presbyterian to come back or a similar school from the Big South, MEAC, or Pioneer.

But the original poster from GSU seemed to indicate there is a payout to Coastal for traveling to GSU for the back end of a home and home agreement. That's what I am surprised about, not the payout if you cancel, but paying an FCS to come in the first place.

Blueandwhitefightfight
June 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM

IIRC we did get a share of the ticket sales from when we played in Conway. I would expect we would behave the same way when playing CCU in Statesboro.

PaladinFan
June 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Can a Furman fan give me the lowdown on your team for next year? They're probably the team I know the least about heading into the season.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Furman had a losing record in 2010, which marked the first time since 1998 that has happened. Still, it didn't look like the Paladins were that out of it. They dropped very winnable games to UTC and Georgia Southern after leading most of the game. Both of those games were absolute late-game meltdowns by the Paladins (Furman led UTC in the fourth by 18 and Georgia Southern by 11). Also dropped a five point game to Elon, and played USC and App State tough. Really the only team that soundly beat Furman was Wofford.

Generally, you are cautious of coaching changes as you expect things to "be different." Still, Furman went out and made, what I think, were fantastic hires in bringing back most of Bobby Johnson's staff from Vanderbilt. I really don't think the coaching change will have that much of an adverse effect. Furman is bringing in folks with a Furman-type mindset who understand how things are done at the University. As you often see, though, Fowler is a different personality than Lamb. Lamb was more of a player's guy, Fowler will bring in more of a disciplined hard-line approach. As noted, when late game meltdowns are becoming all-too frequent, some mental toughness won't be a bad thing.

Offensively, reports indicate Furman is going "back to its roots." That is, I imagine there will be a renewed focus on the interior running game. Furman has the personnel for that as well. In typical Furman fashion there's a bunch of quality running backs led by Tersoo Uhaa who, in my opinion, is one of the better inside the tackles runners in the SoCon.

Quarterback will be a question mark. Chris Forcier will return from the injury he suffered at South Carolina. In limited action, he has shown to be every bit as fast as advertised, but also comes with the same ball control issues. As much as I dislike two quarterback systems, we may well see one with Dakota Derrick. Derrick is a tall rangy kid, with a good throwing arm, who can run a bit. Last season Furman had grandiose plans of using Forcier a bunch, but his injury left things in the hands of Cody Worley who, while a good player, was not a guy that was going to elevate the team.

Of course we lose Adam Mims, one of Furman's and the SoCon's great receivers. I, personally, don't think that's a bad thing, though. I thought at times our quarterbacks got overly dependent on Mims. That is to say, I think our quarterbacks would try to force a ball to a double-covered Mims before trying to find a single-covered second option. Still, I think Furman's receiving corps has as much talent as we've had since Ike West, Brian Bratton, and Bear Reinhart.

Defensively I think we will be fine. Our defense suffered tremendously last season because of our offense's inability to sustain late-game drives. Our offense plays even moderately better against UTC and GSU, Furman is a 7-4 team looking at the playoffs. Fowler is a defensive coach who really did a fine job at Vanderbilt. It doesn't hurt that he inherits an All-American Linebacker in Kadarron Anderson and cornerback in Chirs Steed (who may well be the best coverage guy I've ever seen at Furman).

All that to say I think Furman will be fine. Yes, there's a coaching change, but we aren't talking about a Sewak to VanGorder type change. You are essentially exchanging one Johnson disciple for another. We also graduated only 11. So, you are returning virtually every player off a team that was a play or two away from being 7-4 under a lame-duck coach.

Schedule wise, I wouldn't be surprised to see us start the season 5-0 (Coastal, the Citadel, Presbyterian, Western Carolina, and Samford). The back end will be a bit more noxious (GSU, Wofford, App, UTC, Elon, Florida), but I don't see us going winless. I don't think we will be favored in any of those games, but I like our chances against UTC and Elon. I see a 6-5 or 7-4 season with an eye to the future. Still, we really haven't seen what Chris Forcier can do while healthy and starting, so who knows?

At the end of the day, most Furman fans don't have a foggy clue what this team is going to look like.

PaladinFan
June 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM

I think we had one for our arrangement with Delaward, which was paid off by Mizzou.

I imagine there is one when team B, who got the home game, doesn't return the trip.

SpeedkingATL
June 8th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Strongest, best balanced SoCon in memory. I like Apps schedule but not real deep in some areas and very inexperienced in some as well. Think theyll score plenty of points but will they have to try and outscore everyone as they have had to since 05? Should be a very exciting year with even the bottom feeders being competitive if WCU improves at all under Wagner.

gophoenix
June 8th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I think we had one for our arrangement with Delaward, which was paid off by Mizzou.

I imagine there is one when team B, who got the home game, doesn't return the trip.

That just surprises me. One an unbalanced trip setup, I could understand because one team has to travel to more games than the other. And for canceling it makes sense. But, for a 1 for 1 deal, it seems like one team benefits on one trip while the other benefits on the return. I just never thought there would be revenue sharing in that type of setup.

Smitty
June 8th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Strongest, best balanced SoCon in memory. I like Apps schedule but not real deep in some areas and very inexperienced in some as well. Think theyll score plenty of points but will they have to try and outscore everyone as they have had to since 05? Should be a very exciting year with even the bottom feeders being competitive if WCU improves at all under Wagner.

Last year we couldn't get anything at all moving on offense. So Wagner fired the OC, changed the offense, and recruited a bunch of DL and OL juniors to fill depth. If people can stay healthy we may double our wins to 4 this year!

Milktruck74
June 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Chattanooga has been right there with WCU...We still aren't out of the woods yet, but I feel like we are headed in the right direction. I would like to see WCU turn things around too....the big question...IS WAGNER THE GUY?

Smitty
June 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Chattanooga has been right there with WCU...We still aren't out of the woods yet, but I feel like we are headed in the right direction. I would like to see WCU turn things around too....the big question...IS WAGNER THE GUY?

Jury is still out. It takes a lot to turn around a program that is as bad as WCU. He still has this year and next year left in his contract, even if he does bad again this year he will probably still be here next year as well.

Milktruck74
June 9th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Jury is still out. It takes a lot to turn around a program that is as bad as WCU. He still has this year and next year left in his contract, even if he does bad again this year he will probably still be here next year as well.

There is hope, we were able to survive the Rodney Allison era and come back with back to back 6-5 seasons....like I said before, there is still a long way to go.... but we are on the right path.

eaglemachine
June 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Last year we couldn't get anything at all moving on offense. So Wagner fired the OC, changed the offense, and recruited a bunch of DL and OL juniors to fill depth. If people can stay healthy we may double our wins to 4 this year!

What offensive scheme are you guys switching to?

Smitty
June 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Nevada Pistol offense

PaladinFan
June 10th, 2011, 06:53 AM

One that scores?

:)

StorminASU
June 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM

One that scores?

That's too advanced for the first year, come on. Gotta get basics first.

http://www.clackamasyouthfootball.org/imagedata/football.jpg

Just study this picture this year and we'll send someone from Boone next year to acquaint you to throwing it. No rush.

HighCountry
June 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM
One that scores?

Like Furman's? Oh wait...

citdog
June 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I will give my SoCon predictions on Monday nlt 0730hrs.

chattownmocs
June 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. App State
3. Wofford
4. Georgia Southern
5. Elon
6. Furman
7. Western Carolina
8. Samford
9. Citadel

The Eagle's Cliff
June 11th, 2011, 08:12 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. App State
3. Wofford
4. Georgia Southern
5. Elon
6. Furman
7. Western Carolina
8. Samford
9. Citadel
Are you sure you're not seantaylor?
xlmaox

PaladinFan
June 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Like Furman's? Oh wait...

We averaged over 30 points a game last season, and that was the worst team Furman has had in 15 years. That would be higher than Wofford and Georgia Southern and four points per game behind App.

We found the end zone plenty. We just didn't find it in the fourth quarter when we needed to put the lid on an opponent.

elon77
June 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
A little bit of love on here for Elon, but not much. That is probably good for the Phoenix because they have had a hard time living up to expectations the last few years, which I think is kind of harsh because they ain't done too bad. Don't underestimate them this year because they could surprise. Last year they played with mostly Freshman in the secondary and those guys were talented but very young. A year of seasoning should really help them. The LB's should be strong, along with the DE's, but I believe the questions on defense will be in the middle of the line. The offense should be strong again, plenty of talent and depth at RB and WR. The offensive line should be good if everyone stays healthy, depth could be a problem. Elon lost a pretty good, durable QB ( started every game but 1 during his 4 years), but his backup Wilson is very capable, bigger, and can run. It will be interesting to see howthe new kid from Maryland fits in. New coach and staff? We will see how that works out, it could be better, time will tell. They ended last year with 4 victories and were an overtime loss to Richmond and a fluke ending to Wofford from making the playoffs. I wish it was late August and it was all about to start.

SideLine Shooter
June 12th, 2011, 09:29 AM
A little bit of love on here for Elon, but not much. That is probably good for the Phoenix because they have had a hard time living up to expectations the last few years, which I think is kind of harsh because they ain't done too bad. Don't underestimate them this year because they could surprise. Last year they played with mostly Freshman in the secondary and those guys were talented but very young. A year of seasoning should really help them. The LB's should be strong, along with the DE's, but I believe the questions on defense will be in the middle of the line. The offense should be strong again, plenty of talent and depth at RB and WR. The offensive line should be good if everyone stays healthy, depth could be a problem. Elon lost a pretty good, durable QB ( started every game but 1 during his 4 years), but his backup Wilson is very capable, bigger, and can run. It will be interesting to see howthe new kid from Maryland fits in. New coach and staff? We will see how that works out, it could be better, time will tell. They ended last year with 4 victories and were an overtime loss to Richmond and a fluke ending to Wofford from making the playoffs. I wish it was late August and it was all about to start.

Check out post #5.

elon77
June 12th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Check out post #5.

Baseball?

SideLine Shooter
June 12th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Baseball?

What are you smokin. I don't talk baseball.

elon77
June 13th, 2011, 07:45 AM
What are you smokin. I don't talk baseball.
I'm sorry.

Milktruck74
June 13th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I still say Elon and Furman will decide the the SoCon Champion in 2011.... APP, GA So, Wofford and (hopefully) Chatty...will be in the mix, but their record against Elon and Furman will determine the winner... Elon is stronger then people give them credit.

PaladinFan
June 14th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Update on Furman

This was posted over on our site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRa0ZKWz6xo

As someone mentioned earlier, FU doesn't have a lot of o-line depth, but the two guys they have playing tackle are big mama jammas (as noted in the video).

The Eagle's Cliff
November 26th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I still say Elon and Furman will decide the the SoCon Champion in 2011.... APP, GA So, Wofford and (hopefully) Chatty...will be in the mix, but their record against Elon and Furman will determine the winner... Elon is stronger then people give them credit.

Thought it fun to dig this up:Dxcoffeex

Congrats to Milktruck for nailing it!(Furman factor, but still good)xthumbsupx

vs Elon and Furman:

GSU 2-0
Wofford 1-1
App 1-1

Wofford defeats App defeats GSU defeats Wofford

Milktruck74
November 29th, 2011, 07:49 PM
even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while....GO SoCon!!!! Until Jan 8th I'm a Eaglterrineer!!!!!!!