PDA

View Full Version : Who backed out??

darell1976
May 26th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Just curious if you can name all the teams that backed out of playing your team?

I'll start:

2009 Idaho State at North Dakota game replaced by a Britney Spears concert.xthumbsdownx

citdog
May 26th, 2011, 06:33 PM
hudson high, canoe u, colorado springs golf instruction school

DJKyR0
May 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
UND backed out of playing NDSU...indefinitely.

Also Georgia Southern @ NDSU, 2011. Weaksauce.

Grizzaholic
May 26th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I can see this being moved shortly.

darell1976
May 26th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Boy this was to be a normal discussion thread but I see we got the 3 year olds using mom and dad's computer again.

Grizzaholic
May 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Boy this was to be a normal discussion thread but I see we got the 3 year olds using mom and dad's computer again.

Did you think of anything different happening when you bring up teams backing out of matchups? If there is a buyout clause in the contract and one team enacts it, I don't see the problem.

But I am in the minority.

darell1976
May 26th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Did you think of anything different happening when you bring up teams backing out of matchups? If there is a buyout clause in the contract and one team enacts it, I don't see the problem.

But I am in the minority.

I was just curious on what teams have a history of backing out of games. I didn't mean it as a smack to any school. And Citdog's comment was stupid, and from DJKyR0 I got the typical Bison response in the first part....his GA Southern comment was legit.

Grizzaholic
May 26th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I was just curious on what teams have a history of backing out of games. I didn't mean it as a smack to any school. And Citdog's comment was stupid, and from DJKyR0 I got the typical Bison response in the first part....his GA Southern comment was legit.

I couldn't tell you if anyone ever paid the fee for the buyout clause and "backed out" of a game against MT.

I think NDSU and SDSU are a couple of teams that Montana has paid the money and didn't show up. Could be others. It is just something that I don't really give two ****s about and keep track of.

TexasTerror
May 26th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Prairie View A&M backed out of a series with SHSU...

One year, there was a storm and I get that. The next year, SHSU posted its schedule and then a few weeks later, Prairie View posted theirs and it did not include SHSU. SHSU called PVAMU and no one returned phone calls. PVAMU had scheduled another game and did not do their due diligence in calling SHSU back. Go figure!

mvemjsunpx
May 26th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Just curious if you can name all the teams that backed out of playing your team?

I'll start:

2009 Idaho State at North Dakota game replaced by a Britney Spears concert.xthumbsdownx

Final Score - Idaho State 13, Britney Spears 27

Grizzaholic
May 26th, 2011, 07:38 PM

So, she did the entire Offensive and Defensive units as well as a pile of Special Team players. Too bad the kickers missed the show.

LeadBolt
May 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Most recently, ODU & Penn, I believe.

TheBisonator
May 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM

So back in 2004, Roger Thomas didn't throw the 4-game home-home that NDSU offered him in the trash??

And Faison didn't take his ball and go home when Gene Taylor offered him an indefinite home-home for every other year??

darell1976
May 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
So back in 2004, Roger Thomas didn't throw the 4-game home-home that NDSU offered him in the trash??

And Faison didn't take his ball and go home when Gene Taylor offered him an indefinite home-home for every other year??

What was NDSU's excuse for not playing South Dakota until 2010?? Thats right it was the Coyotes' fault. Whatever.

mvemjsunpx
May 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
So, she did the entire Offensive and Defensive units as well as a pile of Special Team players. Too bad the kickers missed the show.

(Alleged) plastic surgery is very advanced these days.

BamaJag13
May 26th, 2011, 08:18 PM
UC Davis bought out the return game with us scheduled for the upcoming season. If they hadn't, they would have traveled to Honolulu and Mobile in consecutive weeks.

BEAR
May 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Oklahoma State..but they rescheduled for 2014 or 2015 I believe.

bonarae
May 26th, 2011, 08:58 PM
UMass, way back in 1988, after a violent postgame melee.
Lehigh, this season is possibly our last game with them.

DJKyR0
May 26th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I think NDSU and SDSU are a couple of teams that Montana has paid the money and didn't show up. Could be others. It is just something that I don't really give two ****s about and keep track of.

I'm given to understand the Grizz coming in 2014 (15?) is the return game from the 2003 matchup.

As for the UND comment....well, you asked.

cmaxwellgsu
May 26th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Coastal Carolina backed out on us this year, although technically it's just postponed.

TheBisonator
May 26th, 2011, 09:07 PM
What was NDSU's excuse for not playing South Dakota until 2010?? Thats right it was the Coyotes' fault. Whatever.

Why do you think that Bison fans think it was USD's fault that we didn't play them?? USD never threw contact offers from NDSU in the trash.

If a school turns down another school's offer to play them, then the onus falls on the rejector school as to why those schools didn't play.

NDSU leaving the NCC in 2003 had nothing to do with the rivalry ending. We wanted to keep playing you. Unfortunately you had an egotistical AD and administration.

To our UND/NDSU/USD/SDSU posters - Please keep name calling out of this discussion. We know from Bisonville, SiouxSports, SDSUfans, (sorry yotes, brain-f*rting on your fan site), that there are PLENTY of reasons why the intrastate games haven't been played.

Focus on the backing out on returns of home/home for this thread xprayxxprayx

BearIt
May 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I'm given to understand the Grizz coming in 2014 (15?) is the return game from the 2003 matchup.

The game in 2003 was a single game. There was no return game since NDSU was DII at the time.

The game in 2014 is the start of a Home/Home agreement. Montana at NDSU in 2014 and NDSU at Montana in 2015.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 26th, 2011, 10:28 PM

I have no idea what you or Grizza are talking about with some return game being owed to NDSU. There was no home & home with a D2 school that I ever remember. That was a one game deal just like all the other D2's got before and since.

Ga Southern bought out of the game with NDSU for a payday game with a big school didn't they? When a school has a chance to take home a big chunk of change while paying out a smaller chunk to the other school I'm pretty sure if anybody were making those decisions for themselves they would exercise that clause in the contract for their own financial stability. I can't call that weak sauce.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 26th, 2011, 10:30 PM
The game in 2003 was a single game. There was no return game since NDSU was DII at the time.

The game in 2014 is the start of a Home/Home agreement. Montana at NDSU in 2014 and NDSU at Montana in 2015.

Jesus, I should have clicked the third page before quoting a second page post I guess.

Grizzaholic
May 26th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Jesus, I should have clicked the third page before quoting a second page post I guess.

I guess I misunderstood the question. I thought it was just a "who backed out and paid the fine for not playing X team in a given year be it a single game or a back end of a home-home" type of question.

There I go thinking again. I know you have told me not to do that...

Twentysix
May 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM
The griz game is a home and home they come to us first.

pike51
May 27th, 2011, 12:05 AM
IIRC... GA Tech backed out on a stacked Georgia Southern team in 1999. We replaced them with Fayetteville state and offered up a 76 - 0 beat down.

AshevilleApp2
May 27th, 2011, 06:56 AM
The two that come to mind are Wake Forest and Northwestern State.

darell1976
May 27th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Why do you think that Bison fans think it was USD's fault that we didn't play them?? USD never threw contact offers from NDSU in the trash.

If a school turns down another school's offer to play them, then the onus falls on the rejector school as to why those schools didn't play.

NDSU leaving the NCC in 2003 had nothing to do with the rivalry ending. We wanted to keep playing you. Unfortunately you had an assface AD and administration.

Because both teams would be on fair ground? NDSU with more schollies and I-AA rosters against UND with less schollies and a DII roster. Yep I guess that would be the only way NDSU would beat UND since the Sioux beat them almost every year since 1993.

carney2
May 27th, 2011, 09:04 AM

Can you please elaborate, both on when and under what circumstances Lehigh backed out on a game with Harvard, and why "this season is possibly our last game with them?"

1andDone
May 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM
UC-Davis backed out

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM
UMass, way back in 1988, after a violent postgame melee.

Lehigh is not playing Harvard this year.

UNHknowledge
May 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Army backed out of the UNH game in 2005 (UNH finished with 11-2 record), only to play UNH in 2008 and lost 28-10. The Army game in 2005 was replaced with a 17-13 win over an underrated UC-Davis, who beat Stanford a few weeks later. I highly doubt that Rutgers, Northwestern, Army, Marshall, or Ball State will ever schedule UNH again. I'm surprised that Toledo wants to test the waters this year...they still have time to "back out". Go 'Cats!!!

darell1976
May 27th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Army backed out of the UNH game in 2005 (UNH finished with 11-2 record), only to play UNH in 2008 and lost 28-10. The Army game in 2005 was replaced with a 17-13 win over an underrated UC-Davis, who beat Stanford a few weeks later. I highly doubt that Rutgers, Northwestern, Army, Marshall, or Ball State will ever schedule UNH again. I'm surprised that Toledo wants to test the waters this year...they still have time to "back out". Go 'Cats!!!

I just wish UND would set up some OOC games with the hockey schools like New Hampshire.

RabidRabbit
May 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM
xnonoxTo our UND/NDSU/USD/SDSU posters - Please keep name calling out of this discussion. xpissedxWe know from Bisonville, SiouxSports, SDSUfans, (sorry yotes, brain-f*rting on your fan site), that there are PLENTY of reasons why the intrastate games haven't been played.

SpeedkingATL
May 27th, 2011, 01:28 PM
For App, Wake Forrest comes to mind after we beat them a few times and make their home field look like our homecoming game.

FargoBison
May 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I have no idea what you or Grizza are talking about with some return game being owed to NDSU. There was no home & home with a D2 school that I ever remember. That was a one game deal just like all the other D2's got before and since.

Ga Southern bought out of the game with NDSU for a payday game with a big school didn't they? When a school has a chance to take home a big chunk of change while paying out a smaller chunk to the other school I'm pretty sure if anybody were making those decisions for themselves they would exercise that clause in the contract for their own financial stability. I can't call that weak sauce.

GSU has actually backed out twice, once for a big paycheck and they later promised to come to Fargo in 2011. Then they dropped the 2011 game to play Presbyterian at home.

ncbears
May 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM

NDSU leaving the NCC in 2003 had nothing to do with the rivalry ending. We wanted to keep playing you. Unfortunately you had an egotistical AD and administration.

To our UND/NDSU/USD/SDSU posters - Please keep name calling out of this discussion. We know from Bisonville, SiouxSports, SDSUfans, (sorry yotes, brain-f*rting on your fan site), that there are PLENTY of reasons why the intrastate games haven't been played.

Are you even old enough to remember the NCC?

TheBisonator
May 27th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Are you even old enough to remember the NCC?

They left the NCC when I was 21 and a Sophomore at NDSU, so yeah, I remember the NCC.

I was on the NDSU football staff the last season in the NCC.

bojeta
May 27th, 2011, 10:56 PM

Ya... Idaho State backed out of a game this past season with Cal Poly for a money game with Georgia. Guess they figured if they were gonna get whooped, they might as well get paid for it :)

ursus arctos horribilis
May 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
GSU has actually backed out twice, once for a big paycheck and they later promised to come to Fargo in 2011. Then they dropped the 2011 game to play Presbyterian at home.

Yeah that second one does not appear as honorable but unfortunately we are in a time when money is a primary concern for schools. Some schools like NDSU have been in a position until recently where they really needed some higher profile games and needed to make those kind of concessions with the go first and hop for the return game but I'll bet that NDSU is getting a more powerful negotiating position due to the rise in stature in the FCS community.

Even though you got burned it did help to play those schools. I will bet that NDSU can negotiate for a much higher buyout if it were to happen again due to the power gained from this.

Heck if I were in the negotiation I would try and get a bigger buyout and hope the other team took it so I could scedule a one and done with another FCS team willing to come in for the amount of the buyout...or less.

darell1976
May 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Ya... Idaho State backed out of a game this past season with Cal Poly for a money game with Georgia. Guess they figured if they were gonna get whooped, they might as well get paid for it :)

Idaho St chose instead of playing at UND to play at Oklahoma and lost 64-0!!! Good call ISU.

slostang
May 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Idaho State has bought out of two games with Cal Poly. Northwestern State has also bought out a game with Cal Poly. I am sure there are others.

UNHknowledge
May 28th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I just wish UND would set up some OOC games with the hockey schools like New Hampshire.

I agree, I think it'd be a great matchup. Our Strength Coach came from UND and speaks very highly of his time there. It's kind of an expensive OOC game though considering distance for two teams at the same level. Easier to travel far to play an FBS school when there's a payday for the FCS school.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 28th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Launguage Content Forewarning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL2txMU50CI

seantaylor
May 28th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Cliffy just got a hard on than realized she wasn't white.

FargoBison
May 28th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah that second one does not appear as honorable but unfortunately we are in a time when money is a primary concern for schools. Some schools like NDSU have been in a position until recently where they really needed some higher profile games and needed to make those kind of concessions with the go first and hop for the return game but I'll bet that NDSU is getting a more powerful negotiating position due to the rise in stature in the FCS community.

Even though you got burned it did help to play those schools. I will bet that NDSU can negotiate for a much higher buyout if it were to happen again due to the power gained from this.

Heck if I were in the negotiation I would try and get a bigger buyout and hope the other team took it so I could scedule a one and done with another FCS team willing to come in for the amount of the buyout...or less.

At the time we just needed games period, the GWFC only gave us four conference games so we had to scramble to fill out a schedule. Obviously our AD wanted to get the best games possible, so he took what he could get. I believe in the end we got 60k for GSU, which helped pay for a bit less than half of our guarantee to bring in St. Francis.

For our game with the Griz in 2014 the buyout is 200k so things are a definitely a bit different now.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 28th, 2011, 08:24 PM
At the time we just needed games period, the GWFC only gave us four conference games so we had to scramble to fill out a schedule. Obviously our AD wanted to get the best games possible, so he took what he could get. I believe in the end we got 60k for GSU, which helped pay for a bit less than half of our guarantee to bring in St. Francis.

For our game with the Griz in 2014 the buyout is 200k so things are a definitely a bit different now.

Yes you've earned the right to bargain for a better position for yourself by not needing any one game so badly. A much better bargaining position than you guys were in four years ago. You took it on the chin a little a couple of times but are in a better position now in part because of how your AD went out and took some chances.

citdog
May 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Yes you've earned the right to bargain for a better position for yourself by not needing any one game so badly. A much better bargaining position than you guys were in four years ago. You took it on the chin a little a couple of times but are in a better position now in part because of how your AD went out and took some chances.

Very true. i like that the Bison want to play teams from outside their area and hope that the "jilting' they have endured does not sour them on it.

Grizzaholic
May 28th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Idaho St chose instead of playing at UND to play at Oklahoma and lost 64-0!!! Good call ISU.

Probably made just a tad bit more of money playing OU than UND. Just sayin' that might be a pretty good reason.

No_Skill
May 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Very true. i like that the Bison want to play teams from outside their area and hope that the "jilting' they have endured does not sour them on it.

I agree. I love playing teams from outside our region.

...so what open dates does The Citadel have? Let's make this happen...but no buyouts. xrotatehx

darell1976
May 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Probably made just a tad bit more of money playing OU than UND. Just sayin' that might be a pretty good reason.

Had to be the only reason since they finished that year 1-10 with their only win the last game of the season against Portland St.

Grizzaholic
May 28th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Had to be the only reason since they finished that year 1-10 with their only win the last game of the season against Portland St.

Come the **** on. You are starting to show your ND heritage. NO need to kick a team that is down... RIGHT?

Mike "The Big Human" Kramer will turn that program around and make it a powerhouse.

darell1976
May 29th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Come the **** on. You are starting to show your ND heritage. NO need to kick a team that is down... RIGHT?

Mike "The Big Human" Kramer will turn that program around and make it a powerhouse.

Of course...there is always a need.xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 29th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I agree. I love playing teams from outside our region.

...so what open dates does The Citadel have? Let's make this happen...but no buyouts. xrotatehx

That's the problem though. The Citadel is in a rich environment where they'd be foolish not to take a gmae against an in state BCS team or even a very close BCS team. It's unfortunate but the money will always and most likely has to win out in these type of issues so your school has to make sure it get a piece of the pie for itself if it does.

citdog
May 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM
That's the problem though. The Citadel is in a rich environment where they'd be foolish not to take a gmae against an in state BCS team or even a very close BCS team. It's unfortunate but the money will always and most likely has to win out in these type of issues so your school has to make sure it get a piece of the pie for itself if it does.

After defeating the South Carolina Gamecocks 38-35 in 1990 this is the first opportunity they have given us for a guarantee game since that GLORIOUS day. The federal service academies will not schedule us anymore either after we beat canoe u and hudson high. We were a victim of our own success.

malibudude
May 30th, 2011, 01:48 PM
After defeating the South Carolina Gamecocks 38-35 in 1990 this is the first opportunity they have given us for a guarantee game since that GLORIOUS day. The federal service academies will not schedule us anymore either after we beat canoe u and hudson high. We were a victim of our own success.

"The time for compromise has now passed. The South is determined to hold her position and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel."

Just in case you missed the promos...

http://www.history.com/shows/gettysburg?paidlink=1&vid=HIS_SEM_Search&keywords=gettysburg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gettysburg&utm_term=gettysburg

Purple Pride
May 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM
UA-Pine Bluff backed out of a game with UCA, and then said they didn't have the money to pay us.

TheBisonator
May 30th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I know that MplsBison wanted us to back out of our road-end of a home-home with Sam Houston State in 2009 so NDSU could schedule UND. (We played the SHSU game with NDSU having possibly the worst showing by an entire defense ever in a college football game.)

But that's MplsBison, and he's certifiably Froot Loops.

seantaylor
May 30th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Coastal backed out on us. We received no buy out. We backed out on NDSU, they received $60K.

carney2
June 2nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Columbia - yes, Columbia! - in 2006. The new coach of the powder blues needed wins to build the program. He probably would have preferred to drop Harvard or Pennsylvania, but he only had room to maneuver with the OOCs. I believe that Lafayette was replaced with Iona for that year. Columbia went 5-5 in 2006, including a win over Iona.

I don't know if this was part of the problem or whose call it was, but Columbia vs. Lafayette, which has been more or less an annual (traditional?) event for 40 years, is now off the schedule. I doubt if either school or their fans will miss it all that much, but it is always a shame to see the end of a tradition.

gasoutherneagle
June 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM

That was before Coastal slithered off like a punk. We wanted a D-II to slap around because we had 'Bama at the end of the year (who, by the way, also tried to back out... thank God they didn't... we'd have had THREE D-II's on the schedule).