PDA

View Full Version : JMU AD Looks To Improve FB Stadium

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM
An article about the James Madison AD and how he is looking ahead to a 10-year plan for his program, which mostly involves bringing back the JMU basketball program to success, but he has head screwed on straight about what he wants to do as it relates to improving the football program...

--------
As for football, JMU has already dramatically improved Bridgeforth Stadium, adding a state-of-the-art support building and amenities such as instant replay on the scoreboard.

The next major project will be to replace the stadium’s aging artificial field with FieldTurf, a newer synthetic surface that uses a mix of silica sand and cryogenic rubber and a layering process to emulate natural grass.

Down the road, JMU hopes to eventually expand the 15,000-seat stadium to 20,000 to 24,000 seats. There is no timetable for that project.

JMU drew 81,148 fans to its six home games in 2005, an average of 13,525 fans per game. All six of the Dukes’ home games were sellouts.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=3367&CHID=3

UNH 40
March 9th, 2006, 07:28 AM
An article about the James Madison AD and how he is looking ahead to a 10-year plan for his program, which mostly involves bringing back the JMU basketball program to success, but he has head screwed on straight about what he wants to do as it relates to improving the football program...

--------
As for football, JMU has already dramatically improved Bridgeforth Stadium, adding a state-of-the-art support building and amenities such as instant replay on the scoreboard.

The next major project will be to replace the stadium’s aging artificial field with FieldTurf, a newer synthetic surface that uses a mix of silica sand and cryogenic rubber and a layering process to emulate natural grass.

Down the road, JMU hopes to eventually expand the 15,000-seat stadium to 20,000 to 24,000 seats. There is no timetable for that project.

JMU drew 81,148 fans to its six home games in 2005, an average of 13,525 fans per game. All six of the Dukes’ home games were sellouts.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=3367&CHID=3

They have a great facility down there already. If they do add on to what they already have there stadium will rival Delawares. They just have to get rid of the astro-turf. Hopefully UNH can find the funding soon to build a state of the art facility.

SunCoastBlueHen
March 9th, 2006, 07:39 AM
They have a great facility down there already. If they do add on to what they already have there stadium will rival Delawares. They just have to get rid of the astro-turf. Hopefully UNH can find the funding soon to build a state of the art facility.

Rival Delaware's? If JMU puts in the FieldTurf and expands seating to 20K +, they will have greatly surpassed the old pile of cement that is Delaware Stadium. JMU WILL surpass Delaware with their football facilities, if they haven't already. They are forward thinking and looking to advance their football progarm while UD seems happy with the status quo. Any chance we can steal JMU's AD?

th0m
March 9th, 2006, 07:42 AM
JMU is putting in FieldTurf in this summer, as will W&M. I don't know if this means the track (or what's left of it, anyway) will also be gone.

UDBlueLotFan
March 9th, 2006, 07:45 AM
And take that crown out of the field. That killed us two yrs ago throwing the jump balls to the corner. You can literally only see the players and coaches from the waist up the crown is that defined. Nice advantage for the home QB who practices throwing down hill though.

th0m
March 9th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Hehe, I think they will also take care of that ;) Then we'll go on to show we can beat you just fine without the crown :D

UNH 40
March 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Rival Delaware's? If JMU puts in the FieldTurf and expands seating to 20K +, they will have greatly surpassed the old pile of cement that is Delaware Stadium. JMU WILL surpass Delaware with their football facilities, if they haven't already. They are forward thinking and looking to advance their football progarm while UD seems happy with the status quo. Any chance we can steal JMU's AD?

Good point by you. Having said that i will take your "old pile of Cement" up at UNH any day of the week. I love the stadium and its setting.

UNH 40
March 9th, 2006, 07:55 AM
JMU is putting in FieldTurf in this summer, as will W&M. I don't know if this means the track (or what's left of it, anyway) will also be gone.

Wish they would go to grass. I especially wish W&M would reconsider putting field turf in.

GannonFan
March 9th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Good point by you. Having said that i will take your "old pile of Cement" up at UNH any day of the week. I love the stadium and its setting.

I for one actually like Delaware's stadium. You can't beat the sight lines and if you built new you probably couldn't make it as steep as it is. I for one could care less that it's built out of concrete and it's not the oldest sports building in existence. The two major grandstands date from the early 50's and the other one from the late 50's to early 60's. Where UD could improve is in areas like amenities (video board actually as our scoreboard is pretty good), press box, luxury boxes, etc. In addition, the training facilities could be upgraded. Other than that, it's a great place to watch football.

I like JMU's place even now - after seeing virtually all of the A10 venues, JMU is the second best place to watch a game as a fan. I like W&M's stadium but it's more pretty than functional - horrible sight lines. Really gorgeous though.

Surprisingly, I think Towson has some of the best facilities in the A10 - the stadium is great and the tailgating is very good as well - if they could ever develop a following then Towson would be a great place to watch football. Watch out, Towson is a sleeping giant in the A10 and in about 2-4 years will be a real force.

89Hen
March 9th, 2006, 08:11 AM
JMU hopes to eventually expand the 15,000-seat stadium... JMU drew 81,148 fans to its six home games in 2005, an average of 13,525 fans per game. All six of the Dukes’ home games were sellouts
I've always enjoyed going to Harrisonburg for games and I agree with SunCoast that JMU will be surpassing UD's overall facilities, not just catching up. But I did have to ask... what kind of math do they practice at JMU? :p

th0m
March 9th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Yeah what I think they meant was that all tickets were sold, but that not everybody showed up for the game or something...

Also may have something to do with student-attendance, a number of seats is reserved for students, so while the normal tickets may sell out, it doesn't mean the stadium is filled to capacity if the student section isn't totally full.

henfan
March 9th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I for one actually like Delaware's stadium. You can't beat the sight lines and if you built new you probably couldn't make it as steep as it is. I for one could care less that it's built out of concrete and it's not the oldest sports building in existence. The two major grandstands date from the early 50's and the other one from the late 50's to early 60's. Where UD could improve is in areas like amenities (video board actually as our scoreboard is pretty good), press box, luxury boxes, etc. In addition, the training facilities could be upgraded. Other than that, it's a great place to watch football.

GF, I echo all of your sentiments about UD, JMU & TU.

Just a correction though, Delaware Stadium's West grandstand was constructed from winter 1969 through summer '70. The old West grandstand was moved to the South end zone but was eventually removed altogether in the '90's and replaced by the smaller aluminum structure. The East grandstand is the original mama, built in '52.

I really don't think Delaware Stadium needs replacing, just improving. I got to say though that my heart wouldn't be broken for long if UD wanted to someday knock the thing down in favor of something new, so long as it resembled what Princeton did.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/new_jersey/princeton_stadium.jpg

89Hen
March 9th, 2006, 10:55 AM
You know I agree with you henfan. Princeton is easily the best new stadium in I-AA. The only other one that can hold a candle to it IMO is Wash-Griz.

GannonFan
March 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I haven't been to either Montana's nor Princeton's stadiums, although they both certainly look fantastic. I'd actually throw Youngstown's stadium in the mix too - I loved seeing the one game I saw out there, you have a good view, and the place has that real impressive home-side stands with the luxury boxes at the top. Even the understated visitor side wasn't that bad. Youngstown's got a very nice facility.