PDA

View Full Version : MEAC in a State of Transition

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Seems there are articles almost every day about MEAC Commish Dennis Thomas and his plans for everything from expansion to tossing a playoff auto bid and even some basketball issues. 11 schools now, how high can they really expand? Who is going to be left out?

RALEIGH -- MEAC commissioner Dennis Thomas has a lot on his plate right now.

Not only is he trying to build a stronger basketball tournament tradition, he's in the middle of dealing with conference expansion.

It has been an open secret for at least months that the Division I-AA conference, currently composed of 11 historically black institutions from Delaware to Florida, is interested in expanding.

And the MEAC has plenty of applicants.

Just before an interview on Wednesday afternoon, the commissioner met with representatives from Savannah State University. The Tigers currently are Division I-AA independents.

http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/18-710501.html

HIU 93
March 9th, 2006, 07:55 AM
I thought you just paid attention to the SWAC because you live in Louisiana and you follow those papers. Now you're trawling the internet for articles on the MEAC? There is something REALLY wrong with you.

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I thought you just paid attention to the SWAC because you live in Louisiana and you follow those papers. Now you're trawling the internet for articles on the MEAC? There is something REALLY wrong with you.

I was looking up I-AA on the 'Net (see the articles I posted on James Madison and Liberty today). I'm always reading up on I-AA articles because I'm a big fan and love learning about our division of football, the top level in which there's a playoff for a national championship! :read:

Is there something wrong with posting more information about the MEAC's desires to expand and the importance of these upcoming conference meetings? That's a big deal for I-AA if a school like Savannah St leaves the world of independent and joins a conference (as I-AA has a very limited amount of indies), just like it'd be huge if the MEAC took on WSSU or NCCU (as Div II to I-AA jumps has fueled loads of the stuff discussed related to tossing the 'second A' out of I-AA).

Sorry to inform you, but MEAC issues such as those above effect the greater scale of things, I-AA. The MEAC is a I-AA conference, is it not? A playoff-eligible conference at that...

March 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM
TT, there is nothing wrong with posting stories and links about I-AA. Ignore those that say it is wrong.

Most of all ...

THANKS!!

blukeys
March 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM

I have seen Texas Terror post articles on all kinds of topics from the SLC to the A-10. I am envious of his schedule that allows him to track these articles down (Radman does the same thing for Delaware articles published anywhere in the universe) But I am appreciative of the fact that he does it.

As someone who takes graduate courses at a MEAC school and one who has seen MEAC Games since the 80's, I appreciate his efforts. The information he provides is better than what I get here.

What is your problem with anyone posting articles of either SWAC or MEAC?

Do they need to pass some kind of test?

Do you have a problem with a white person posting articles about a HBCU?

From where I sit that is your chief gripe. Please check your racism at the door.

IF someone can provide me some useful info about I-AA football teams that helps my understanding of the sport I am all for it.

Since you have a problem with Texas Terror doing the job why don't you take over the job?

Please scour the internet for articles on the MEAC and post them in a more timely manner than Texas Terror. I personally do not care about the race of the individual giving me information.

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2006, 06:24 PM
For the record, I work some wierd hours during the year...

Sun 11-6:45
Mon 12-9
Tues 2-10
Weds 830-530
Thurs 830-430

It's called being an athletic director at one of the more well known athletic/rec facilities in New Orleans...especially of those opened! ;)

Do have a lot of folks I know in the media and do loads of random news-gathering for my own benefit and that of others (i.e like on this board or KatFans.com)

mikebigg
March 9th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I think a lot of conferences in 1AA should consider expanding and having a championship game. From there have some regional matchup of the conference champions in a pre-determined neutral sites. Let these games be the first round of the playoffs. Proceed with matchups until there's a champ.

March 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I think a lot of conferences in 1AA should consider expanding and having a championship game. From there have some regional matchup of the conference champions in a pre-determined neutral sites. Let these games be the first round of the playoffs. Proceed with matchups until there's a champ.No other NCAA championship is decided that way are they? Why should this be different? Really, conf champs or nearly champs are meeting already and the playoffs are regionalized.

#1 NEW HAMPSHIRE 55 Colgate 21
NORTHERN IOWA 41 Eastern Washington 38
Cal Poly 35 MONTANA 21
#4 TEXAS STATE 50 Georgia Southern 35
Richmond 38 #3 HAMPTON 10
FURMAN 14 Nicholls State 12
Southern Illinois 21 EASTERN ILLINOIS 6
#2 APPALACHIAN STATE 34 Lafayette 23

Which matchup here should be changed?

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I think a lot of conferences in 1AA should consider expanding and having a championship game. From there have some regional matchup of the conference champions in a pre-determined neutral sites. Let these games be the first round of the playoffs. Proceed with matchups until there's a champ.

Sounds like most NCAA sports where auto-bids get you in, but the thing is, why have a championship game in conferences where teams play every other opponent each year? Do we really want a rematch? You'll get first-time games in some of the conferences that do that. Not the SWAC as we all know due to the mandate, but there's been a few non-rematches in some of these title games at the I-A level.

Pre-determined neutral sites won't work well at all for playoffs, especially considering that lots of I-AA teams won't travel well especially if the proximity to these sites stink. The east may be different, but I-AA teams are further away in the west where you have the GWFC, Big Sky and SLC...

blur2005
March 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Only conferences with two divisions should even think about that...plus, I'd like it we could get away from two division conferences.

HIU 93
March 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I have seen Texas Terror post articles on all kinds of topics from the SLC to the A-10. I am envious of his schedule that allows him to track these articles down (Radman does the same thing for Delaware articles published anywhere in the universe) But I am appreciative of the fact that he does it.

As someone who takes graduate courses at a MEAC school and one who has seen MEAC Games since the 80's, I appreciate his efforts. The information he provides is better than what I get here.

What is your problem with anyone posting articles of either SWAC or MEAC?

Do they need to pass some kind of test?

Do you have a problem with a white person posting articles about a HBCU?

From where I sit that is your chief gripe. Please check your racism at the door.

IF someone can provide me some useful info about I-AA football teams that helps my understanding of the sport I am all for it.

Since you have a problem with Texas Terror doing the job why don't you take over the job?

Please scour the internet for articles on the MEAC and post them in a more timely manner than Texas Terror. I personally do not care about the race of the individual giving me information.

My problem is his negative attitude toward evrything HBCU and his assumption that HBCUs are just begging for his help. I'm a racist? THANK YOU!!!! If you are calling me a racist, then I am definitely doing what I need to.

PS- If you are so immersed in HBCU culture and news, then why do you need TT to tell you anything about ANY HBCU conference?

AppGuy04
March 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM
My problem is his negative attitude toward evrything HBCU and his assumption that HBCUs are just begging for his help. I'm a racist? THANK YOU!!!! If you are calling me a racist, then I am definitely doing what I need to.

PS- If you are so immersed in HBCU culture and news, then why do you need TT to tell you anything about ANY HBCU conference?

nothing about this post was negative, it is you who are trying to make it that way

now back to the topic:

bigger is not always better in this case, Savannah State is one of the worst athletic programs as a whole in the nation. f his goal is to build a stronger basketball conference, etc. Savannah St would be the last place I would go. just my opinion ofcourse

Catmendue2
March 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM
If you are so immersed in HBCU culture and news, then why do you need TT to tell you anything about ANY HBCU conference?

Exactly.... Why does TT think he has a solution to everything SWAC. He admitted he had limited knowledge of the program he worked in.

GannonFan
March 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Gotta agree with other posters saying this would be a bad idea. Most conferences already have enough play between the teams in the conference that this would be a rematch game in all likliehood. Not a lot of juice in something like that for most IAA conferences. And the regional matchup's at pre-determined neutral sites would be a real tough sell - those games are on campus right now - having them at neutral sites would involve travel for both teams on pretty much a week's notice - I don't know of many schools in IAA that would have a sizeable enough fanbase that would make attendance at those games be anything but bleak.

bandl
March 14th, 2006, 10:56 AM
TT, I appreciate your efforts. Whether you post for the SLC, SWAC, MEAC or A-10, I don't care. I don't want to troll the internet looking for articles about every conference. In fact, I came to AGS just so I wouldn't ever have to do that. I've become a more informed AGSer because of posters like you. Keep it up and post away about any and all conferences and teams. :)

TexasTerror
March 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
TT, I appreciate your efforts. Whether you post for the SLC, SWAC, MEAC or A-10, I don't care. I don't want to troll the internet looking for articles about every conference. In fact, I came to AGS just so I wouldn't ever have to do that. I've become a more informed AGSer because of posters like you. Keep it up and post away about any and all conferences and teams. :)

Thanks...

I think that's what makes the AGS voters in the AGS poll, the most informed. We know are stuff because we hear and see it from the fans of our fellow I-AA programs, whether it's in the same conference, different conference or what not. Ralph does his huge part with I-AA Waves and helping us provide this forum...

Go...gate
March 14th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I agree with bandl. Keep up the good work, TT.

gram4life
March 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks...

I think that's what makes the AGS voters in the AGS poll, the most informed. We know are stuff because we hear and see it from the fans of our fellow I-AA programs, whether it's in the same conference, different conference or what not. Ralph does his huge part with I-AA Waves and helping us provide this forum...

Try posting without a slant, maybe that would help. But I know that's not likely to happen.

Go...gate
March 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I think everyone who posts has their own slant on things.

gram4life
March 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I think everyone who posts has their own slant on things.

It's his commentary (slant) that I'm referring to, if you don't see it then you choose not to see it.

henfan
March 14th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Back to the original editorial provided by Texas Terror.

Seems there are articles almost every day about MEAC Commish Dennis Thomas and his plans for everything from expansion to tossing a playoff auto bid and even some basketball issues. 11 schools now, how high can they really expand? Who is going to be left out?

There was nothing inaccurate or the least bit negative about pointing out the obvious. Thomas has been out front in the media often lately telling anyone who'll listen about his vision for the MEAC. Nothing wrong with that; that's what he's paid to do. TT, keep the good stuff coming.

HIU93, the personal attacks are best left for some other venue. We're all supposed to be amigos here.xprost2x

UD1993
March 15th, 2006, 10:41 AM
i agree henfan. tt is forwarding interesting news on the meac and he gets ridiculed for it? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Eaglegus2
March 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM
nothing about this post was negative, it is you who are trying to make it that way

now back to the topic:

bigger is not always better in this case, Savannah State is one of the worst athletic programs as a whole in the nation. f his goal is to build a stronger basketball conference, etc. Savannah St would be the last place I would go. just my opinion ofcourse

I live close to Savannah State and have several friends who are alumni. They don't know what to do with their sports programs. All of their programs have slid into a level that would be considered high school. Most high schools in Savannah could defeat SSU's college teams.

SSU has fired coaches, ADs & gotten a new University President. Nothing seems to work. If any of the new hires could provide a solution that is conducive to winning it would be applied.

I really miss the competitiveness from the Tigers in years past.

My friends actually believe that the elevation to Division I was a mistake. They feel that the University should consider dropping back to DII.

The controvercy with steroids by coaches & players don't project anything positive about the Tigers athletic programs.

The brightest spot had always been their baseball program. Now, it is struggling to be competitive.

I for one will be glad to see Savannah State get their athletic programs competitve once again.

BTW, I am really tired of the jokes concerning SSU. Give them a break, they are trying.

AppGuy04
March 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I live close to Savannah State and have several friends who are alumni. They don't know what to do with their sports programs. All of their programs have slid into a level that would be considered high school. Most high schools in Savannah could defeat SSU's college teams.

SSU has fired coaches, ADs & gotten a new University President. Nothing seems to work. If any of the new hires could provide a solution that is conducive to winning it would be applied.

I really miss the competitiveness from the Tigers in years past.

My friends actually believe that the elevation to Division I was a mistake. They feel that the University should consider dropping back to DII.

The controvercy with steroids by coaches & players don't project anything positive about the Tigers athletic programs.

The brightest spot had always been their baseball program. Now, it is struggling to be competitive.

I for one will be glad to see Savannah State get their athletic programs competitve once again.

BTW, I am really tired of the jokes concerning SSU. Give them a break, they are trying.

when you slump as far as they have, including the ESPN "winless watch" from the other year, nobody wants to play there that is worth a damn, so this is a hole that might be difficult to get out of

Eaglegus2
March 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM
when you slump as far as they have, including the ESPN "winless watch" from the other year, nobody wants to play there that is worth a damn, so this is a hole that might be difficult to get out of

I really agree with you AppGuyo4.............this hole is extremely deep.

R.A.
March 16th, 2006, 05:07 AM
For the record, most MEAC fans are totally against leaving the 1-AA playoffs.

mikebigg
March 16th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Hopefully (if he hasn't already), Shannon Sharpe will become involved with helping restore the program. Not sure if he would leave a nice Network gig, but his presence through more visibility could possibly help with their recruiting. I feel for these kids...they need to be in a conference ASAP.

AppGuy04
March 16th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I really agree with you AppGuyo4.............this hole is extremely deep.

its a catch 22, because nobody will come unless you win, and you can't win unless good kids come, so what do you do