PDA

View Full Version : Question about UTSA, Texas State, and the WAC.

aztecjim
May 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM
When will the two schools be eligible for the league championships? When they join in July 2012 or is the two year waiting period still in effect making it 2014?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I think it's after the two year waiting period in 2014, but they'll play a full WAC schedule in 2012, I think that's how it works.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
When will the two schools be eligible for the league championships? When they join in July 2012 or is the two year waiting period still in effect making it 2014?

Both are on separate 'clocks' as UTSA starts football this year.

If I am not mistaken...

TXST will be a full FBS counter, bowl eligible and all that great stuff in '13 with UTSA one year behind. TXST will count as FCS for '11 (though not a SLC member in football) and FBS for '12 (and playing full WAC schedule). Full bowl eligible in 13.

The WAC needed UTSA so they will be FCS in '11, FCS in '12 (though playing full WAC schedule) and get bowl eligible in '14.

An explanation from UTSA's web site...

In what conference will UTSA play?
The football team will play a 10-game schedule as an NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS/formerly Division I-AA) independent in 2011. UTSA has received an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) and will move all 17 of its sports into that league beginning with the 2012-13 academic year. In 2012, the football team will play a 12-game schedule, including six games against members of the WAC, but that league schedule has yet to be determined. The 2012 and 2013 seasons will be reclassification years as the team transitions to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS/formerly Division I-A). In 2014, the program will be a full FBS member and will be bowl eligible.

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=3758837

aztecjim
May 17th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Why the separate paths?

dbackjon
May 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Why the separate paths?

Because UTSA hasn't played football yet. All schools moving to FBS are required to spend a minimum of two years in FCS. Texas State has met that requirement. UTSA has not.

bojeta
May 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
My understanding is that these teams: Texas State and UTSA, while considred FCS in terms of counting toward FBS bowl victories, are also considered ineligible for FCS playoffs. Is this correct?

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2011, 07:40 AM
My understanding is that these teams: Texas State and UTSA, while considred FCS in terms of counting toward FBS bowl victories, are also considered ineligible for FCS playoffs. Is this correct?

TXST is ineligible for the playoffs this year.

UTSA will never have a shot at the playoffs.

aztecjim
May 20th, 2011, 07:40 AM
About Texas State, didn't Middle Tennessee State,Western Kentucky, etc. have to wait two years to be eligible for the Sun Belt and and be "full fledged" FBS schools?

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
About Texas State, didn't Middle Tennessee State,Western Kentucky, etc. have to wait two years to be eligible for the Sun Belt and and be "full fledged" FBS schools?

WKU played a Gateway schedule in 2006... partial FBS in 2007... full FBS (not in SBC) in 2008... full FBS in 2009.

TXST is playing a SLC schedule during their "partial FBS" in 2011 (they made the move too late, but will be like WKU in '07 because they will have more games, but will not be eligible for SLC title)... a WAC schedule in 2012 (the league needs them and they will be FBS counter, similar to WKU in 2008)... and they will be full FBS in 2013 (similar to WKU in 2009)