PDA

View Full Version : The Religion Of Football In The South

The Eagle's Cliff
May 15th, 2011, 05:30 PM
A discussion in the Top 10 Current FCS Schools thread prompted a little research and I found a gem written by Eric Bain-Selbo, Professor of Religion at Western Kentucky University. http://jsr.fsu.edu/Volume11/Selbo.htm

It's a pretty interesting read. My apologies to the Mods if this belongs elsewhere.

Go...gate
May 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
A very interesting read. Thanks for posting.

DFW HOYA
May 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
The South, or just the SEC? (Not exactly a religion at places like Tulane.)

appsfan
May 15th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the link- it was a good read.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 15th, 2011, 08:40 PM
The South, or just the SEC? (Not exactly a religion at places like Tulane.)

I think you'll find people in Louisiana are mostly LSU fans, even if they go to another school. Tulane is like Temple.

The professor was primarily using the SEC "and other state schools in the South". A lot of it also applies to high school football. The small towns on Friday night have an atmosphere and attendance that would surpass many FCS schools and almost all DII and DIII schools.

panama
May 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I think the South. Not a religion at Tulane because they lose and because people root for LSU.

panama
May 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I think you'll find people in Louisiana are mostly LSU fans, even if they go to another school. Tulane is like Temple.

The professor was primarily using the SEC "and other state schools in the South". A lot of it also applies to high school football. The small towns on Friday night have an atmosphere and attendance that would surpass many FCS schools and almost all DII and DIII schools.

Its at state colleges, HBCUs, High School's and Youth Leagues. When you drive into a small town from SC to TX what does the water tower say? "Home of the _______"

They arent talking about the 4-H club

NuJerzBullDog
May 15th, 2011, 11:47 PM
this is so tru... me being from jersey football is def not as big as it is in south carolina.. its like its own religion

GAD
May 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Tulane does not have a lot of alums here, most of there students come from the northeast and mid-west, most people here don't identify with Tulane, LSU is the largest school in the state and the only one in a BCS conference so they are considered the pride of the state of Louisiana by many(most)

appsfan
May 18th, 2011, 10:29 PM
This thread made me think of the following:
Northern vs Southern Football:
Women's Accessories:
NORTH: ChapStick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.

SOUTH: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and a fifth of Captain Morgan/Crown. Money is not necessary - that's what dates are for.
Stadium Size:
NORTH: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

SOUTH: High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Campus Decor:

NORTH: Statues of founding fathers.

SOUTH: Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen:

NORTH: Also physics major.

SOUTH: Also Miss America.

Cheerleaders:

NORTH: If you are coordinated, you make the varsity squad.

SOUTH: You begin cheer camp at age two, complete with ballet, dance, & gymnastic training.

Getting Tickets:

NORTH: 5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets.

SOUTH: 5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus & put name on the waiting list.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game:

NORTH: Students and teachers not sure they're going to the game, because they have classes on Friday.

SOUTH: Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don't want to see the few hung-over students that might actually make it to class.

Parking:

NORTH: An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for game parking.

SOUTH: RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for the weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day:

NORTH: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.

SOUTH: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting "Game Day Live" to get on camera and wave .

Tailgating:

NORTH: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.

SOUTH: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by "Dave Matthews' Band," who comes over during breaks and asks for a hit off bottle of bourbon. Getting to the Stadium:

NORTH: You ask "Where's the stadium?" When you find it, you walk right in.

SOUTH: When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day it becomes the state's third largest city.

Concessions:

NORTH: Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.
SOUTH: Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot on it, filled less than halfway with soda, to ensure enough room for Captain Morgan/Crown.

When National Anthem is Played:

NORTH: Stands are less than half full, and less than half of them stand up.

SOUTH: 100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part harmony.

The Smell in the Air after the First Score:

NORTH: Nothing changes.

SOUTH: Fireworks, with a touch of Captain Morgan/Crown.

Commentary (Male):

NORTH: "Nice play."
SOUTH: D@mmit, you slow sum***** - tackle him and break his legs!

Commentary (Female):

NORTH: "My, this certainly is a violent sport."

SOUTH: D@mmit, you slow sum***** - tackle him and break his legs!

Announcers:

NORTH: Neutral and paid.
SOUTH: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game:
NORTH: The stadium is empty way before the game ends.

SOUTH: Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker. While somebody goes to the nearest package store for more bourbon; planning begins for next week's game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

citdog
May 18th, 2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

The Eagle's Cliff
May 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

A tear in my eye, a fire in my belly, and a desire to let out a Rebel Yell and Charge!

SideLine Shooter
May 19th, 2011, 10:20 AM
A tear in my eye, a fire in my belly, and a desire to let out a Rebel Yell and Charge!

Testify man, Testify!!