PDA

View Full Version : What program would you not want to play in a non-conference game?

3Shark
May 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I belive it is Dayton,they are good every year and being non-scholly I believe you have nothing to gain. If you win, you are supposed to beat a non-scholly team and if you lose, it is an embaressment to your program and your conference.

Grizzaholic
May 15th, 2011, 06:27 PM
SUU.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I belive it is Dayton,they are good every year and being non-scholly I believe you have nothing to gain. If you win, you are supposed to beat a non-scholly team and if you lose, it is an embaressment to your program and your conference.

It seems like you're looking for an "under-the-radar" type team that's not Top 25. The Pioneer had little success vs playoff conferences. Your victory over Robert Morris appears to be the best win for the conference. I'd bet the top of the Pioneer and NEC would give some schools 4th place and down in playoff conferences a competitive game and may win. That said, I think a non-scholly has about as much chance against the Top 25 FCS as FCS has against Top 25 FBS - Possible, but not likely.

I think Old Dominion has been impressive so far and I'm curious to see how they do in conference.

McNeese75
May 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM
It should be any of the top tier CAA teams but to be the best you need to play the best so bring em on :)

NuJerzBullDog
May 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
SC. State

WrenFGun
May 16th, 2011, 08:04 AM
SC. State

LOL don't worry they took care of that by never scheduling anything of merit in non-conference.

Apphole
May 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I remember being Mcneesed a few years ago. That was very unpleasant.

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 08:56 AM
West Chester

tribefan40
May 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
West Chester

And New Haven. xnonono2x

jmufan999
May 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Coastal.

Pard4Life
May 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Kutztown, E. Stroudsburg, and any FCS team from the south that has a losing record and terrible tradition: not worth the trip.

bonarae
May 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Any Patriot League team. It's about time for the Ivies to diversify their opponents, but what's preventing my wish from happening? UMass has been F.O. (friendship over) to us since 1988 and now they're headed for the FBS. xsmhx What about Montana, Wofford, Appalachian State and the rest of the FCS teams out south and west? The Ivies should consider them.

BEAR
May 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Since Texas State is going FBS, I'd have to say Texas State. I can see this being reversed with 20+ more schollys coming their way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7gK00bZKs

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Any Patriot League team. It's about time for the Ivies to diversify their opponents, but what's preventing my wish from happening? UMass has been F.O. (friendship over) to us since 1988 and now they're headed for the FBS. xsmhx What about Montana, Wofford, Appalachian State and the rest of the FCS teams out south and west? The Ivies should consider them.

I've always thought some Ivies would be great for name recognition and solid competition on home & homes and just all around fun games to have on the schedule. It would be great to have them at Montana and I think it would be somewhat of a novelty for some on the E. coast to go see a hame at one of the great Ivy locations with Montana going in there.

FCS Go!
May 16th, 2011, 10:54 AM
+1 to that ursus.

jstclmet
May 16th, 2011, 11:01 AM
EWU on a green field, anywhere in the US, preferably on the Mainline.

Misread the question.

I'd love to play EWU. Would prefer not to play another CAA team in the playoffs prior to the NC game. Would not want to play a D2 team.

No reason to fear anyone else.

Dream OOC schedule (assuming we're still FCS)
2012 SOCON, Big South, Big Sky,
2013 MEAC, MV, OVC,
2014 GWFC, NEC, IVY,
2015 PL, PFL, INDY,
2016 SOCON, Southern, SWAC.

Silenoz
May 16th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Any D2 team...

NuJerzBullDog
May 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
SC. State

we've had that issue because certain schools wanted us to pay them to play them and wouldnt agree to a home and home

StorminASU
May 16th, 2011, 02:08 PM
NC A&T, Savannah State, or NC Central

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Any D-II team, or any top 50 FBS unless they're UW or WSU. I wouldn't mind any FCS patsy, as it counts toward the 7 D-I wins. At the same time, I'd love to play a top tier team from the CAA, Socon, or MVFC, as long as we don't have two non-counters (D-II) or losses (top 50 FBS) scheduled already.

Cocky
May 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Any team that isnt good. Send me the past NC or top level team.

Model Citizen
May 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Apprentice School.

Model Citizen
May 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Your victory over Robert Morris appears to be the best win for the conference.

Best since win over playoff bound Fordham.

sikolec
May 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Any division 2 team. Cal Poly has a hard enough time as it is to schedule OOC opponents that I'd be open to them play anybody of the FBS or FCS caliber. I'm sick of these D2 games that seem to happen every year due to the lack of FCS teams willing to play Cal Poly...

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Any division 2 team. Cal Poly has a hard enough time as it is to schedule OOC opponents that I'd be open to them play anybody of the FBS or FCS caliber. I'm sick of these D2 games that seem to happen every year due to the lack of FCS teams willing to play Cal Poly...

Hey it sucks, no doubt about it but teams are unwilling to play out here from the FCS because the majority are on the other coast and the travel is a *****. Can't fault em' for that as money is a real concern for the Universities as a whole let alone the AD.

bojeta
May 16th, 2011, 04:59 PM

I was gonna say.... since CP can't seem to find FCS teams willing to play them each year on OOC matchups, I would have expected more people to respond with "Cal Poly". It certainly seems to be the reality. After our success against San Diego State and Wisconsin in 2008, it seems like the FCS ranks, with few exceptions, all say "no way" to a trip to Spanos Stadium. Heck, WE seem to be willing to travel anywhere and take on anyone as evidenced by two consecutive "road to..." seasons.

OH! Make that 3 consecutive "road to..." seasons. This year we travel to: FBS San Diego State, FBS Northern Illionois, South Alabama, Montana for OOC games alone. Thank YOU Eastern WA and South Dakota State for stepping up this year and making the trip to San Luis Obispo!! xsmileyclapx

WestCoastAggie
May 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Any D2 school not named WSSU.

App. State

Miss. Valley State, at this point. (Hopefully, they will turn it around soon and become a more attractive team to play)

Alcorn State

Louisville

App. State

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I was gonna say.... since CP can't seem to find FCS teams willing to play them each year on OOC matchups, I would have expected more people to respond with "Cal Poly". It certainly seems to be the reality. After our success against San Diego State and Wisconsin in 2008, it seems like the FCS ranks, with few exceptions, all say "no way" to a trip to Spanos Stadium. Heck, WE seem to be willing to travel anywhere and take on anyone as evidenced by two consecutive "road to..." seasons.

You're painting it as schools being afraid to play ya because of playing well against some FBS opponents and I just don't think that is the case. You are in the same boat as the BSC members in not getting much in the way of FCS schools coming to your place.

If it were the case of schools being afraid because you were good then the opposite would be true and Idahol State, UNC, and other teams that have struggled would have people knocking on their door for games but they don't.

bojeta
May 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
You're painting it as schools being afraid to play ya because of playing well against some FBS opponents and I just don't think that is the case. You are in the same boat as the BSC members in not getting much in the way of FCS schools coming to your place.

If it were the case of schools being afraid because you were good then the opposite would be true and Idahol State, UNC, and other teams that have struggled would have people knocking on their door for games but they don't.

Distance and money is a factor to be sure, buuuuttt..... like I said, we're willing to travel. 2010 (Consecutively): Texas State, McNeese State, FBS Fresno State and Old Dominion. Insane OOC travel schedule followed be a trip to Utah for the first Conf. game! I sooooo look forward to 2012 in the Big Sky!!!!

I want to add that Montana has been great about coming out to SLO with the home and home and home.... series for years now! Love the Griz!!!

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 05:18 PM

OH! Make that 3 consecutive "road to..." seasons. This year we travel to: FBS San Diego State, FBS Northern Illionois, South Alabama, Montana for OOC games alone. Thank YOU Eastern WA and South Dakota State for stepping up this year and making the trip to San Luis Obispo!! xsmileyclapx

You're welcome. You're returning the favor in 2012 as OOC. This year for EWU will be similar to CP's the last couple.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Distance and money is a factor to be sure, buuuuttt..... like I said, we're willing to travel. 2010 (Consecutively): Texas State, McNeese State, FBS Fresno State and Old Dominion. Insane OOC travel schedule followed be a trip to Utah for the first Conf. game! I sooooo look forward to 2012 in the Big Sky!!!!

CP wouldn't be willing to travel if they didn't have to. Nobody just travels for fun in FCS. You travel because you HAVE TO to fill out the schedule. Just saying I think you are looking at it wrong if you expect that teams that are in a scheduling hot bed are gonna just up and go out to SLO because they feel they owe it to ya for what CP has had to do.

It has little or nothing to do with AD's being afraid to play ya. CP's a good team but the BSC schedules because it works for both of us and the situation we are in, in spite of your team playing Wisconsin & SDSU well a few years ago.

Skjellyfetti
May 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Nobody just travels for fun in FCS. You travel because you HAVE TO to fill out the schedule.

I dunno. That may be generally true... but, the McNeese-Montana-App rotating series is a testament to the fact that there are programs interested in quality OOC matchups in FCS and are willing to travel for them.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I dunno. That may be generally true... but, the McNeese-Montana-App rotating series is a testament to the fact that there are programs interested in quality OOC matchups in FCS and are willing to travel for them.

Yes but those tickets will cost a bundle to offset the costs of having those games...which I am totally fine with. They would not do it if they didn't think the fans were willing to pay for a premium game.

For Montana fans I will bet that this will be a $60 ticket.

Outside of this example I think you'd be hard pressed to see teams making this happen. App, MT, & McNeese all got above the normal guaranteed money for these games from what I understand.

To me, it's gonna be worth every fokking penny though.

I should not have said "nobody" though.

bojeta
May 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM
CP wouldn't be willing to travel if they didn't have to. Nobody just travels for fun in FCS. You travel because you HAVE TO to fill out the schedule. Just saying I think you are looking at it wrong if you expect that teams that are in a scheduling hot bed are gonna just up and go out to SLO because they feel they owe it to ya for what CP has had to do.

It has little or nothing to do with AD's being afraid to play ya. CP's a good team but the BSC schedules because it works for both of us and the situation we are in, in spite of your team playing Wisconsin & SDSU well a few years ago.

I hear ya, and I have to agree that much of what you say makes good sense. Still, I know that Cal Poly chose it's travel destinations based in large part on a desire to schedule tough opponents. They didn't travel to a single weak team. Texas State, McNeese, Old Dominion and FBS teams is typical of the travel destinations we make. So, I also have to agree with what Skjellyfetti said. I guess it's never as cut and dry as either one of us were making it out to be. Best part is, it won't matter next year!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I hear ya, and I have to agree that much of what you say makes good sense. Still, I know that Cal Poly chose it's travel destinations based in large part on a desire to schedule tough opponents. They didn't travel to a single weak team. Texas State, McNeese, Old Dominion and FBS teams is typical of the travel destinations we make. So, I also have to agree with what Skjellyfetti said. I guess it's never as cut and dry as either one of us were making it out to be. Best part is, it won't matter next year!!!

That part of the CP scheduling goes to the "have to" in my post. Without the auto bid CP needed to have a beautiful or at least real respectable resume so your AD made the very best choices to get to that point.

I'm not saying that will cease when you are part of the BSC but once you have a better shot at an at large and a perenial shot at an AQ you may see the school look more toward economic feasibility.

My answer to skelly's post leaves me confident in my feeling that it is as easy I posted it previously because the primary driver is always money once you have a real shot at a playoff spot.

As you said, that is coming for you guys next year.

McNeese75
May 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM

Just for the record, there are a lot of Cowboy fans hoping for a return game to SLO. The game here last year was not very competitive but we hope to change that and we always love to travel to beautiful and or traditional FCS locations.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 16th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Just for the record, there are a lot of Cowboy fans hoping for a return game to SLO. The game here last year was not very competitive but we hope to change that and we always love to travel to beautiful and or traditional FCS locations.

I enjoyed the Cowboy hospitality in 2003 (except for the gamexthumbsdownx). I'd like to see a home and home with you guys again.

Tribal
May 16th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Any school where a win would be worthless and a loss could ruin a season (enter New Haven). I understand it would be very costly, but it would be nice to have a home-home with a Big Sky school.

bojeta
May 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM

A visit from the Cowboys would be outstanding! Excellent program! I was really bummed in 2008 when the hurricane caused our game to be canceled. Understandable, but a real bummer. The weather is likely to be great out here and we'll be sure to have lots of cold beer in the local saloons when the Cowboys come to town :) Talk to your alumni assoc. I'm pretty sure that the pressure they put on the AD at South Dakota State helped bring them out here. That and the fact that they have a great alumnus out here that throws a killer party for them when they come :)

McNeese75
May 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I enjoyed the Cowboy hospitality in 2003 (except for the gamexthumbsdownx). I'd like to see a home and home with you guys again.

We made some great friends at that game that we stay in touch with (they returned the hospitality in 2005). I would love another home and home with the Eagles.

1andDone
May 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Appalachian State

kalm
May 17th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Option teams. BSC teams don't see it too often and tend to struggle defending it.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Option teams. BSC teams don't see it too often and tend to struggle defending it.

I don't mind the option teams. I think Delaware this year has a great setup in that they will be playing one in the first game, have plenty of time to prepare and get used to it and that experience should do them well in case they make the playoffs and have to play one. Plus, it's not a game they are necessarily expected to win but very would could.

As far as looking at a season and what could be I think Delaware is in a good spot with that.