PDA

View Full Version : Elon Adds Transfer from Maryland at QB

TexasTerror
May 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Elon beat out Delaware for this QB... QB competition set to heat up for the Phoenix...

All of a sudden there’s a new entrant in the competition for the starting quarterback job at Elon University.

Maryland freshman Tyler Smith has decided to transfer out of the Terrapins football program and join Elon, said Bret Comp, the quarterback’s Easton, Pa., high school coach.

Upon gaining his release from Maryland, Smith visited Elon last weekend. Soon thereafter he informed first-year Elon coach Jason Swepson of his desire to come on board with the Phoenix.

“It didn’t take long,” Comp said. “The kid fell in love with the place right away. He pulled the trigger on it pretty quickly.”

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/lands-44070-maryland-quarterback.html

Skjellyfetti
May 15th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Where did you read that Delaware was interested at all in him?

whoanellie
May 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM
read the article, then make a statement!!!

Skjellyfetti
May 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
read the article, then make a statement!!!

i did. and there was no mention of Delaware's interest. xcoffeex

reread the article, then make a statement!!!

ElonPride
May 15th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Go away. Pack it up and move to MAC or wherever already.

citdog
May 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
hey why don't we have another thread that after 10 pages is still argument over who had more people at a particular game a couple of years ago? have we done that yet???

TexasTerror
May 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM

You are correct in that it was never proven that Delaware showed a mutual interest, but he did choose Elon over Delaware...

Apphole
May 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
We had more, but who cares? It involves Elon highschool. Just kidding. About the high school not the more. Congrats on the QB. Perhaps you guys will surprise some people and make it to the top half of the conference. It could happen. Id say, realistically, its between Elon and Furman for that number 5 spot. Does this guy also play baseball, act as your punter and have a major attitude problem? I certainly hope not. QB punters always make me feel like their gonna fake it and no one wants an Anakin Skywalker leading a team.

Skjellyfetti
May 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
hey why don't we have another thread that after 10 pages is still argument over who had more people at a particular game a couple of years ago? have we done that yet???

Ironic coming from the worst broken record on the board.

How about another Civil War thread, citdog? I'm sure theres some aspect of the war left undiscussed.

gophoenix
May 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
OMG, it's a thread about Elon. Why are so many crAppy people here? The two App posters here are the ones whining about people posting in their threads.

Get the **** out of the "SmallCon" and move on to your bigger and better things. FCS and the SoCon are going to be better off without the lot of you. Not sure how much more Marshall and ECU envy and inferiority complex types the internet can endure from up on the hill.

And actually, without doing the world for you, do a little search on the matter. Delaware articles specify a QB Transfer that the school showed interest in. Without naming names, this would be the kid.

Now take your thousands of fans back to the Watauga Teachers' College threads.

Skjellyfetti
May 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
So you answer with smack. Mature.

citdog
May 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Ironic coming from the worst broken record on the board.

How about another Civil War thread, citdog? I'm sure theres some aspect of the war left undiscussed.

i would be glad to oblige you kyjelly.......but I ain't your daddy. you should really give him a call.....and a hug. how about a thread about notable scalawags?

The Eagle's Cliff
May 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
To me, the big question for Elon will be the coaching. I knew when Lembo went there, he'd make them a winner. Riddle being there sure helped that along, but Lembo was the difference for Elon these last several years.

ElonPride
May 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
To me, the big question for Elon will be the coaching. I knew when Lembo went there, he'd make them a winner. Riddle being there sure helped that along, but Lembo was the difference for Elon these last several years.

The jury is out on Swepson, no doubt. He seems to have brought some good energy in the program and the players really like him.

I think the bigger question is "what's he going to do with the defense?" There are some good players.........BUT two plays......a last second hail mary to Wofford and an OT loss to Richmond were the difference between a 6-5 season and an 8-3 season.

Hopefully he can get the program over the hump. It's obvious the guy has a knack for recruiting good QBs, so maybe this transfer shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

superman7515
May 15th, 2011, 07:11 PM
And actually, without doing the world for you, do a little search on the matter. Delaware articles specify a QB Transfer that the school showed interest in. Without naming names, this would be the kid.

What articles? Because we haven't seen any in Delaware. All we've seen is Keeler saying over and over they weren't looking for a transfer QB. They were looking for CB, DE, and possibly a WR.

whoanellie
May 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
It didn’t take long,” Comp said. “The kid fell in love with the place right away. He pulled the trigger on it pretty quickly.”

Elon apparently was one of three potential destinations on Smith’s transfer list.

Delaware, a perennial powerhouse in the Football Championship Subdivision, the same level Elon plays on, and Division II Millersville (Pa.) were the others.

“Those were the only three out of his mouth,” Comp said. “But there was no need to pursue anything else. He was ecstatic about Elon.”

Skjellyfetti
May 15th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I think you need to try reading again and maybe a light bulb will go off for you.

hint: that mentions his interest in Delaware. Mentions nothing of Delaware's interest in him.

whoanellie
May 16th, 2011, 07:47 AM
yes We have new leadership with a head coach that has great FBS experience and coordinators with like experience bring in a congruent type of systems to a very experienced core squad (Lembo) did not leave the cupboard bare and they are use to winning. As for Quarterback, I'm not saying coach Swepson is a QB guru but yea I am saying his last 2 QB's he mentored was Matt Ryan @ BC and Russell Wilson @ NCSU. I am sure they still have him on their speed dials. Let's just say it's still going to be interesting by the banks of the Haw River.

Apphole
May 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM
It seems to me that Elon won a hard fought recruiting battle against a DII school. I can't find anything about Deleware.

gophoenix
May 16th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Now back to matters not related to Appy, if the kid can produce, good for him. I, however, am no fan of Swepson.

Woohoo, the two brainless Appy fans in another Elon thread. You guys just love pulling yourselves close to us.

Mr. KY Skjellyfetti meet Mr. AppHole; seems those two things belong together.

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM
This thread is either really funny, or really sad. Good for Elon getting this transfer, hopefully he works out.

Apphole
May 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I don't believe I mentioned App State or this Appy thing to which you're referring. We want nothing more than to distance ourselves from you're unwarranted egos.

gophoenix
May 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Please don't mistake my desire to mess with scrubs for some sort of subconscious fondness for your school. That's a laugh.

+2 more posts for AppHole in an Elon thread. Woohoo.

Mr. KY Skjellyfetti meet Mr. AppHole can't get enough Phoenix!

bjtheflamesfan
May 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I talked to the head guys and I dont believe anyone has a "right to be offended". I dont know if this board has a foe feature (another board I post on does) but if you the Elon fans are really that bothered by the Appalachian fans posting here, you can Im sure ignore those posts...reporting every single post because you dont like it is about on the same lines as a child who runs to mom every time their brother or sister pokes them. That's my last word on the matter

gophoenix
May 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I talked to the head guys and I dont believe anyone has a "right to be offended". I dont know if this board has a foe feature (another board I post on does) but if you the Elon fans are really that bothered by the Appalachian fans posting here, you can Im sure ignore those posts...reporting every single post because you dont like it is about on the same lines as a child who runs to mom every time their brother or sister pokes them. That's my last word on the matter

New ownership, new rules. I haven't reported the posts in this thread, but given the fact that if you sneezed at App before then you got a nice email and 1 day ban, I think you see why it ended up being like this.

And no, it's not just Elon fans that had problems with the previous ownership with this. The Western and Coastal guys at work did too.

ElonPride
May 17th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Who reported?

Just reading some threads I see some uneven "officiating" by the supposed policy makers of this board. If you're going to "throw the flag" then throw the flags!

No offense, but this forum has gotten about as bad as the old I-AA escribe board from a while back.

And Mr. Moderator, remember when you flagged me last week for a response to citdog? That was for a lot less "smack" than in your quoted post above. Good "officiating" there buddy! Way to raise the bar and set an example! Remember Mr. Moderator:
"Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow."

Forget your own rules?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2011, 12:13 PM
New ownership, new rules. I haven't reported the posts in this thread, but given the fact that if you sneezed at App before then you got a nice email and 1 day ban, I think you see why it ended up being like this.

And no, it's not just Elon fans that had problems with the previous ownership with this. The Western and Coastal guys at work did too.

gophoenix it's cool. I had pm's with you and you are not the offender. The change and what you had gotten in trouble for previously makes total sense in how you dealt with it.

You are not being addressed in HL's post I assure you.

State Line Liquors
May 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
If this kid is allowed to say that he picked Elon over UD, then UD is allowed to say that any incoming recruits and/or transfers picked UD over Ohio State, the NBA, Canadian Football, an internship with Playboy Photography, and a cushy job at the United Nations.

bjtheflamesfan
May 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM
ElonPride I sent you a PM (So as to not cause any more problems than I already have)

Grizzaholic
May 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Is it too late for me to give my input on the matter at hand?

Apphole
May 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM
xlmaox
Laugh all you want. You're still wrong most of the time.

phoenix3
May 17th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Laugh all you want. You're still wrong most of the time.

About what?

Grizzaholic
May 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM
This is gonna work itself out Grizzaholic so additional input isnt necessary

Oh. I just wanted to say that it looks like Elon got a pretty good pickup.

*shrugs and slowly walks away*

Apphole
May 17th, 2011, 05:35 PM
About what?

FCS football? I'm out if this one. It's awkward

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Fella's, this is my fault but we have hijacked a good FCS Discussion thread. As such I am not deleting these posts but will be attempting to move them to a thread in the lounge. We can continue it in there if I am successful.

There is a thread in the lounge now on the previous matter of Relaxed Moderation.

Back to the Elon Transfer. Good job btw.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/05/wilsons_tyler_smith_transfers.html

Tyler Smith talks about decision to transfer from Maryland to Elon

Smith revealed on Monday he's decided to transfer to Division I-AA Elon University in Elon, N.C. Smith plans to enroll in summer classes and spend time learning the offense.

"It looks like a great fit for me," he said. "They told me they want to throw the ball 50 times a game. I'm really excited about it."
Smith, the 2009 Express-Times Player of the Year, admitted he was frustrated when he only got two series of playing time in Maryland's spring game under new coach Randy Edsall, the former Connecticut head coach.

"I knew I had to go," Smith said.

Maryland freshman quarterback Danny O'Brien earned Atlantic Coast Conference Rookie of the Year honors so Smith knew his playing time would be limited.

Another factor was the departure of assistant coach James Franklin, who took the head coaching position at Vanderbilt in December. Franklin, a former East Stroudsburg University quarterback, had recruited Smith to Maryland.

Coincidently, Elon's first game this fall is at Vanderbilt.

Smith considered transferring to Connecticut, Syracuse, Villanova, Delaware and Millersville but chose Elon because he won't have to sit out a year since Elon is Division I-AA.

"It all happened so fast. I talked to several coaches and they all said, 'Go to Elon," he said. "I loved the facility, the coaching staff and I'm getting a full ride."

Smith said Maryland is going with a zone read offense that depends on a quarterback's ability to run the ball as much as throw it.
"That's not my style," Smith said. "I'm a pro style quarterback."

This whole article is damned interesting, but I thought what was especially interesting was the two other FCS schools in the mix for Tyler Smith.

StorminASU
May 23rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Oh. I just wanted to say that it looks like Elon got a pretty good pickup.

*shrugs and slowly walks away*

***Cue sad music from the "The Hulk"***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pba7X7LPCk&feature=related

superman7515
May 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/05/wilsons_tyler_smith_transfers.html
This whole article is damned interesting, but I thought what was especially interesting was the two other FCS schools in the mix for Tyler Smith.

But again, nothing in the article says that Villanova or Delaware were interested in him (or UConn or the Millersville Marauers who have a very good wrestling program), just that he was interested in them. I don't know about the other schools, but all winter long Keeler has said there was no interest in a transfer QB.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
But again, nothing in the article says that Villanova or Delaware were interested in him (or UConn or the Millersville Marauers who have a very good wrestling program), just that he was interested in them. I don't know about the other schools, but all winter long Keeler has said there was no interest in a transfer QB.

Fair enough. However, completely absent from consideration was any Patriot League schools. Not Lehigh, who has a starting QB, but I'm sure other PL schools might have gotten in consideration - with football scholarships.

Franks Tanks
May 23rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Fair enough. However, completely absent from consideration was any Patriot League schools. Not Lehigh, who has a starting QB, but I'm sure other PL schools might have gotten in consideration - with football scholarships.

This kid is the grandson of Dick Hammer (yes that is his real name), who has been the voice of Lafayette Football on the radio for about 50 years. It appears he had little interest in either of the local schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
This kid is the grandson of Dick Hammer (yes that is his real name), who has been the voice of Lafayette Football on the radio for about 50 years. It appears he had little interest in either of the local schools.

WOW! I had no idea!

I'm glad you noticed too about the lack of PL names in his list of considerations. And this guy is hardly a rock-head or a problem kid, he's a kid with grades. You'd have to believe that a PL with scholarships would have at least merited a look from the kid.

elon77
May 24th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I wonder if he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express or is that something U of D said??????????????????????????????????? Maybe he saw that the Elon girls are the best looking in the country. OH CRAP, I JUST OPENED UP A NEW CAN OF WORMS.