PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 current FCS programs?

Apphole
May 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
The recent thread on preseason ranking got me thinking, "what are the top 10 FCS programs out there". I mean in terms of past success, current success, fan support, name recognition, facilities, ect. Obviously every homer here will place their school at 1 so objectivity would be nice, though I don't expect much of it. This is in order although I admit I'm not as familiar with those who may fall at the end of the list.

1. App State!
2. Georgia Southern
3. Montana
4. JMU
5. Delaware
6. Furman
7. W&M
8. Montana State
9. Jacksonville State
10. Richmond

Grizzaholic
May 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I see you put your school at #1.... So much for objectivity.

Montana should be in the top 5...not sure where.

Apphole
May 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Of course you're not sure where. Make a list anyway.

Grizzaholic
May 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Of course you're not sure where. Make a list anyway.

I see you are new. I am a dummy. I don't know anything. I hang out in the Lounge and usually try and just stir the pot.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM
1. Montana!
2. Delaware
3. Georgia Southern
4. App State
5. Montana State
6. JMU
7. Furman
8. Youngstown State
9. UNI
10. SIU

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Current? I take that as the best programs over the last decade.

1. App State
2. Montana
3. Delaware
4. GSU
5. JMU
6. UNI
7. UNH
8. Wofford
9. Montana State
10. Villanova

Skjellyfetti
May 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think Mountaineer and/or OL FU have a spreadsheet to settle these types of disputes.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I think Mountaineer and/or OL FU have a spreadsheet to settle these types of disputes.

They do but I haven't seen it posted in a while and I think Montana was at the top over App by a smidge.

dbackjon
May 14th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Interesting that everyone to date have left off the current national champion.

Why would Richmond, Villanova, UNI, SIU, Wofford or Furman be in there, but not EWU?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 14th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Interesting that everyone to date have left off the current national champion.

Why would Richmond, Villanova, UNI, SIU, Wofford or Furman be in there, but not EWU?

EWU does not have the tradition and name recognition as the above mentioned schools imo.

dbackjon
May 14th, 2011, 09:54 PM
EWU does not have the tradition and name recognition as the above mentioned schools imo.

What tradition does Villanova have? Or Richmond for that matter?

EWU has as much tradition and name recognition, especially in the last 10 years, as those schools. Any name recognition that Villanova has has nothing to do with FCS Football.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 14th, 2011, 10:05 PM
What tradition does Villanova have? Or Richmond for that matter?

EWU has as much tradition and name recognition, especially in the last 10 years, as those schools. Any name recognition that Villanova has has nothing to do with FCS Football.

EWU put in the red turf to help brand its self. If nothing else, the school felt it needed a way to help get Eagle football on the map.

BTW, I bet most football fans know that Brian Westbrook went to Villanova. People know Villanova football is a quality product despite playing at a lower level.

dbackjon
May 14th, 2011, 10:21 PM
EWU put in the red turf to help brand its self. If nothing else, the school felt it needed a way to help get Eagle football on the map.

BTW, I bet most football fans know that Brian Westbrook went to Villanova. People know Villanova football is a quality product despite playing at a lower level.

This decade, EWU has had three draft picks, one Pro-Bowler, first team all pro
This decade, VU has had one draft pick, one Pro-Bowler, first team all pro

You are letting your ECB shine through.

EWU certainly belongs in the conversation with the schools I mentioned.

App State, Montana and Delaware are the big three of the decade. No other schools have multiple NC appearances since 2000.

Grizzaholic
May 14th, 2011, 10:33 PM
They do but I haven't seen it posted in a while and I think Montana was at the top over App by a smidge.

POST EDIT: IT would kill the topic.

dbackjon
May 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Even more curious is Montana State - while good fan support, 4 playoffs and only one win since 2000 seems to not be a top 10 program

Fewest playoff appearances of all those mentioned so far is Youngstown, with two. JMU has three. Jax State has three as well, with ZERO wins.

Another missing for consideration is McNeese State - 7 playoff appearances this decade

FargoBison
May 14th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Even more curious is Montana State - while good fan support, 4 playoffs and only one win since 2000 seems to not be a top 10 program

Fewest playoff appearances of all those mentioned so far is Youngstown, with two. JMU has three. Jax State has three as well, with ZERO wins.

Another missing for consideration is McNeese State - 7 playoff appearances this decade

Gotta agree, Montana State has one playoff win in the past 25 years. Yet EWU who has a NC and 6 playoffs wins since 2000 doesn't deserve mention talk about bizarre.

JMU1992
May 14th, 2011, 10:58 PM

JMU has 4 playoff appearances since 2004

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Gotta agree, Montana State has one playoff win in the past 25 years. Yet EWU who has a NC and 6 playoffs wins since 2000 doesn't deserve mention talk about bizarre.

I think their rivalry with Montana really elavates them in the D1 football community. They also have (will have) great facilities and fan support.

McNeese State is interesting. For whatever reason, despite solid success on the field, they've fallen out of the FCS thought process as proven by this thread.

I believe intangibles means a lot. Despite winning 2 national titles in the last 10 years there's a lot of people that wouldn't list Florida as one of the current Top 10 bball programs. Look at the varying opinions of Maryland.

FargoBison
May 14th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I'm just saying one playoff win in 25 years doesn't exactly scream top 10 program(somebody has them top 5). That is like an FBS team winning one New Years Day/BCS bowl in 25 years and being called a top 10 program.

I understand they have nice facilities and decent support but at some point you gotta win playoffs games at least that is what I've been told over and over again by many people(some of whom have even posted in this thread and ranked MSU in the top 10).

seantaylor
May 15th, 2011, 12:57 AM
GSU is and always will be number one until anyone comes close to our titles. We had a bad run with inbred rubes like Van Gorder and Hatcher, but that is all over now. Hopefully Sammy Baker is on his way out, but all he is now is a figurehead. Not allowed to make any decisions.

Apphole
May 15th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Wins agains BCS opponents weigh heavily for me.

Squealofthepig
May 15th, 2011, 02:43 AM
This really depends on how you define what "top" means (as many other posters have suggested). To illustrate this, let's take a look at the OP's top ten and look at each team in terms of last decade vs. last year:

1. App State! - No one in their right mind denies ASU place here in either criteria
2. Georgia Southern - I wouldn't have them at #2, but definitely in the top 10. Lots of success.
3. Montana - last decade? Absolutely. Last year? OK, Griz apologists can say it was a fluke. But I could see the Griz being on either side, depending on how you want to define "current FCS programs". Still, can't imagine many in FCS would discount the Griz entirely
4. JMU - Similar to the Griz, but in a stronger conference. They haven't had as many wins, but they've stayed very competitive in the CAA, easily the best conference the last two or three years. Last year a bit of a fluke, but also a couple of plays away from staying in the playoffs. Three home losses last year is probably a fluke for the Dukes.
5. Delaware - the Hens are back! After a few disappointing years (at least for Hens fans) Delaware has reasserted itself. Top ten for last decade? Maybe (just barely). Top ten currently? Absolutely.
6. Furman - here I'll disagree with the OP. A huge fan base and some good seasons, yes - but top ten overall? I think there are some teams from other conferences that might have a stronger claim here. 5-6 last year; 6-5 the year before; 7-5 in '08; 6-5 in '07. I think in terms of last decade or last year, you can't include Furman in a top ten.
7. W&M - I'd have them higher; they've been solid the last couple of years. The Tribe seems a bit quixotic, too - good fan base, but seem to be overshadowed. They're a team that quietly wins a lot and doesn't get upset all that often. If they were in another conference, they'd probably seem like a juggernaut. With either criteria, they're at least solidly in the conversation.
8. Montana State - I'm a Griz fan, just to be fair. But the Cats have an incredible QB and great momentum going into next season. Top ten over last decade I'd say no, but I'd put them at #1 or #2 in terms of teams that are really finding their stride. And that pains me to say. :)
9. Jacksonville State - I had an incredibly hard time ranking this team all last year. Yes, they had the great UMiss win last year. But then there was the rest of the season - OK wins over the OVC, which is generally denigrated by the rest of the FCS fanbase. For me, the Gamecocks are the proverbial wildcard - I still have no idea how to rank them. They should be in the conversation here, but probably more subjective than other teams.
10. Richmond - Look, you can't really leave any team that's won a recent national championship off the list, right? Over the last decade, the Spiders are definitely in the conversation; recent history, though, not sure they'd make a top ten.

So, who else would I at least consider in either decade/year "top 10"? In no particular order: Villanova (how'd they not make the list?); Wofford (I just love the Terriers and their fans); McNeese (more for history); Northern Iowa (more last decade than last year); SIU; EWU (again, a national championship thing); NDSU (still waiting for a breakout season); and UMass (surging) and UNH (last ten years). I'm sure I'm missing a few, but mainly wanted to illustrate how you define "top" teams will greatly influence how you anoint your favorites.

Edit: "annount" changed to "anoint". My God, where was my mind?

Houndawg
May 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Even the Montanans have ecb now.xcoffeex

Seven straight playoff seasons from '03 - '09, FBS wins over Indiana and NIU, FBS losses to Marshall and NIU by a total of 4 pts., and conference victories last year over 2/3 MVC playoff teams. I think SIU has a case for inclusion even if most of you couldn't find it on a map.

Tribe4SF
May 15th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Even the Montanans have ecb now.xcoffeex

Seven straight playoff seasons from '03 - '09, FBS wins over Indiana and NIU, FBS losses to Marshall and NIU by a total of 4 pts., and conference victories last year over 2/3 MVC playoff teams. I think SIU has a case for inclusion even if most of you couldn't find it on a map.

I can find it on a map, although I definitely needed one to get there. Last year was a big disappointment for the Salukis, but they have been worthy of consideration over the past decade. With the new stadium I expect they'll be back soon.

Cocky
May 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM
My list based on long term thoughts not just current or past:
1) Montana
2) Delaware
3) North Dakota St
4) Northern Iowa
5) Ga Southern
6) Eastern Washington
7) William & Mary
8) Montana State
9) Harvard
10) South Dakota St

The Eagle's Cliff
May 15th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Past and present success, fan support, name recognition, facilities.

1. Montana - I still put them at number one, because they've been the most consistent over the last 10 years.
2. App State - A newcomer in terms of facilities and fan support has doubled in the second half of the last decade, but they're at the top now.
3. Georgia Southern - Facilities upgrades are over due, but on the way. Southern has to be in the top 5 in the other categories.
4. Delaware - Facilities upgrades are definitely needed, but they top most in the other categories.
5. JMU - A couple more flags and playoff runs could move JMU further up the list because the fan support has increased and the facilities are being built.
6. NDSU - Haven't been in FCS long, but their facilities, fan support, and name recognition put them on my list.
7. Jax St. - The Gamecocks, like the Bison, need some playoff wins to solidify their place in the Top 10.
8. Youngstown St. - May be falling off the list, but history and attendance have them hanging on for me.
9. Liberty - Facilities, support, name recognition are there - need some playoff wins.
10. SC St - Has everything in place, but needs to get out of the MEAC.

Honorable Mention: McNeese St., Montana St., Northern Iowa, Chattanooga

*Excluded Ivy and SWAC conferences

**Signs point to Old Dominion being on this list as soon as they meet the "10 years" part of the conversation.

***Eastern US bias (ignorance of Western) acknowledged.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 15th, 2011, 08:59 AM
If the topic is CURRENT, how does the program with the longest current playoff streak (seven seasons) with six quarterfinal appearances and five FBS wins during that stretch not get slotted somewhere 7-10? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 15th, 2011, 09:04 AM

Yes, I'd love to see what their spreadsheet says!!

blueballs
May 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM
If the topic is CURRENT, how does the program with the longest current playoff streak (seven seasons) with six quarterfinal appearances and five FBS wins during that stretch not get slotted somewhere 7-10? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Can't argue with any of that... I just wish they could draw some fans beause gameday atmospehere and support is definitely a factor.

Which brings me to a subject totally off subject... what would happen to UNH's program if Sean McConnell left? Cou8ld it thrive the way GSU has with 3 different coaches winning NC's?

The Eagle's Cliff
May 15th, 2011, 10:37 AM

The key word for me is "program". UNH and others have had a good decade in terms of wins and playoff appearances, but facilities and fan support are way below what they should be, especially for "The" University of New Hampshire. Maybe the folks in New England should realize there is football on Friday night and Saturday and not put all their support behind a bunch of millionaires playing on Sunday.

HailSzczur
May 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM
What tradition does Villanova have?

While I wouldnt put us in the Top 10 (if were talking through the history of the program) I would say we are strong honorable mention, probably around a 12 or 13.

Before dropping football we won the Sun Bowl and Harbor Bowl, and tied the Bacardi Bowl. During that era we had alumni in the pros like Mike Siani and Hall of Famer Howie Long. Since starting in FCS, or then IAA Andy Talley has won the Robinson Award, and Westbrook and Finneran have won the Payton. In that time we've had 16 All Americans, posted a 188-107 record(63.7%), 10-9 playoff record. We won the National Championship in 2009 and have beaten 3 FBS teams (Rutgers and Temple twice).

I know this doesnt stack up to the Montana's, App States, Georgia Southerns, or any of them, but its still pretty impressive and should atleast be up for alittle consideration. From the orginal list posted by Apphole, I would have to argue that Youngstown, UNI, and McNeese should be up there.

Saint3333
May 15th, 2011, 11:30 AM
My list based on long term thoughts not just current or past:
1) Montana
2) Delaware
3) North Dakota St
4) Northern Iowa
5) Ga Southern
6) Eastern Washington
7) William & Mary
8) Montana State
9) Harvard
10) South Dakota St

Think long and hard, but I believe you missed an obvious one...

Grizzaholic
May 15th, 2011, 11:35 AM

SUU?

Cocky
May 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
More than one
I said long term, so a few present FCS schools are left off. They will be FBS ASAP.

poly51
May 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
1. Cal Poly
2. App State
3. Georgia Southern
4. Montana
5. JMU
6. Delaware
7. Furman
8. W&M
9. Montana State
10. Jacksonville State

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Dback as usual makes some real good points in his argument. I put Youngstown in mine because the were dominant when they were there and I wasn't specifically thinking about just the last 10 yrs.

I wanted to put EWU in because they are a way better program than they should be. They do so much with recruiting and coaching in spite of not being the cherry as far as facilities and fans go. The fans they have are rabid and great supporters but they just don't have the numbers right now. The NC and dramatic playoff wins resonates with me a lot and had me wanting to put them in the top 10.

UNH Fanboi
May 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
The key word for me is "program". UNH and others have had a good decade in terms of wins and playoff appearances, but facilities and fan support are way below what they should be, especially for "The" University of New Hampshire. Maybe the folks in New England should realize there is football on Friday night and Saturday and not put all their support behind a bunch of millionaires playing on Sunday.

I don't think facilities should really factor into the discussion, but I agree that UNH is not worthy of being considered a top 10 program since 1AA began (I assume we're talking about since 1978) because we've never made it past the quarters and we're mediocre prior to 2004. The last 10 years, we're definitely top 10 because of consistency, but overall, no.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I don't think facilities should really factor into the discussion, but I agree that UNH is not worthy of being considered a top 10 program since 1AA began (I assume we're talking about since 1978) because we've never made it past the quarters and we're mediocre prior to 2004. The last 10 years, we're definitely top 10 because of consistency, but overall, no.

Everybody has differing opinions on what should factor in and the weight it should carry. I definitely factor in facilities & fans and so forth. They matter to a program.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Can't argue with any of that... I just wish they could draw some fans beause gameday atmospehere and support is definitely a factor.

Which brings me to a subject totally off subject... what would happen to UNH's program if Sean McConnell left? Cou8ld it thrive the way GSU has with 3 different coaches winning NC's?

Based on those NCAA attendance figures that I've seen, UNH has been near capacity or over capacity for the past few seasons. Some really nasty monsoon games have been the only really poorly attended games during that time. We've got a small stadium so the numbers don't look impressive, but we do about as well as possible considering. You know what, at least half of that 32.8K that attended the game at Gillette Stadium were UNH fans.

It's funny how ever body says you can't draw in the payoffs yet UNH was over capacity for both its home playoff games. And IMHO the attendance was the usual under reporting so famous in the playoffs. And one of those games was during snow flurries and the other on a cold, crisp NH December day.

BTW, it's Sean McDonnell. And he's only the second head coach we've had since the early 70's so coaching changes aren't something we're accustomed to. If three head coaches bought into the New Hampshire way like Sean and Bill Bowes did, then UNH would be fine. xtwocentsx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Sorry, I thought the evaluation was based on what happened on the actual gridiron in the past ten years or so. Yep, our facilities suck and we're located in the Snow Belt. And our attendance has been near or over capacity for the past few seasons. Sorry, the NH State Legislature is trying to cut funding for the academic side of UNH, they sure aren't going to pop for a stadium enhancement in this economy.

FWIW, Friday night football isn't the norm in New England, just as many HS games are played on Saturday afternoon. Add in all the colleges in the region that also play football and you'll see there is quite a bit of competition outsides those millionaires you mentioned. People in New England also tend to be active folks who are just as likely to be out hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, fruit picking, attending county fairs, etc. on beautiful Fall days. Football isn't a religion up here, but UNH gets their fair share of fans.

OL FU
May 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Where is Mountaineer with the spreadsheet. Current success ( if that means recent) Furman goes out.history of !-AA/FCS Furman is in.

OL FU
May 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, I'd love to see what their spreadsheet says!!

Mountaineer is now the keeper. we need to find him. It breaks down playoff success so those that don't participate too bad. He breaks it down for lots of different time periods. Haven't seen the one after this year. He may still be trying to determine how to count the expanded playoffs.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Mountaineer is now the keeper. we need to find him. It breaks down playoff success so those that don't participate too bad. He breaks it down for lots of different time periods. Haven't seen the one after this year. He may still be trying to determine how to count the expanded playoffs.

Sent him a pm just to make sure he sees this. He's been on here lately so I think he'll see it and respond.

OL FU
May 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Sent him a pm just to make sure he sees this. He's been on here lately so I think he'll see it and respond.

good, he made me one promise. If he ever got tired of being the keeper of the spreadsheet, he would give it back to me.

But he does a much better job than I ever did.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 15th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Football isn't a religion up here, but UNH gets their fair share of fans.

The original poster set the parameters for ranking. I think UNH has been a Top 25 team since Santos showed up on campus and your school gets props for that.

UNHFootballAlum
May 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM

The fan support is there as the UNh average game attendance is higher than the capacity of the stadium. Also you could say that UNH is doing all of this with some of the worst facilities. They have a handicap that no other top program has to overcome

Sader87
May 15th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I hate to say it, but whatever the criteria are, you'd be hard pressed to say that neither Harvard nor Yale (and probably some of the other Ivies) aren't amoungst the Top FCS programs today.

UNH72Plus
May 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Well stated. And throw a couple of Walter Payton Award winners Azumah '98 and Santos '06 and a 21-4 FCS out of conference record since '02, counting playoffs.

ValleyChamp
May 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM
UNI is an absolute must on anybody's top 10 for all time, or the last 10 years. UNI is one of the more successful FCS programs of all time.

Great facilities, good fan support, great long standing tradition. Tons of conference titles, tons of playoff appearances and wins, many NFL players, etc.

NuJerzBullDog
May 15th, 2011, 11:49 PM
if we SC.State could win a few play off games and upgrade facilities i would def put us in the top 10

T-Dog
May 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
if we SC.State could win a few play off games and upgrade facilities i would def put us in the top 10

One thing that hurts SCSU is geograghy. Being within 300 miles of most all the SoCon teams means a tough first-round matchup everytime.

The 2009 SCSU team could compete to win against any team in the nation. They could run the ball, play defense and dominate in the trenches. We got lucky that we won that game.

kalm
May 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Montana
ASU
Delaware
GSU
YSU
UNI
McNeese
JMU
Nova
EWU

Bubble: UNH, W&M, Richmond, UMASS, Montana State, Furman, SIU

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Lots of love for Jacksonville State... a team that has never won a playoff game.

Based on team, support, facilities, improvements, etc...

1. Montana
1a. AppSt
3. Delaware
4. JMU
5. UNI
6. Georgia Southern
7. Montana State
8. NDSU
9. Cal Poly
10. McNeese

Put ODU on the watch list for a few years.

GannonFan
May 16th, 2011, 09:10 AM
5. Delaware - the Hens are back! After a few disappointing years (at least for Hens fans) Delaware has reasserted itself. Top ten for last decade? Maybe (just barely). Top ten currently? Absolutely.

"Maybe"? "Just barely"? I know there were two bad years in there, but the Hens did win a title, made three national championship games, and made the semis in '00. I think they have the most playoff wins of any CAA school in that time. And the attendance has never averaged below 20k for a regular season in that time as well. If that just "barely" makes the top ten then I really need to see who's beating that. xeyebrowx

TheBisonator
May 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'm surprised there are a few people on this thread willing to put NDSU on their lists. I like the respect given out to NDSU football on here. Contrary to the posts on the "other" FCS board - Over there, NDSU football is the worst thing to ever happen to this planet, and all its fans are worse than Hitler.

Over on that board, if someone asked the question of what are the 10 most pathetic programs in FCS, I'm sure NDSU would be on most of those lists.

Apphole
May 16th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Sounds like my kind of thread.

McNeese72
May 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM
McNeese State is interesting. For whatever reason, despite solid success on the field, they've fallen out of the FCS thought process as proven by this thread.

Probably because even though we have made the playoffs more than a few times in the last 10 years, we haven't won a playoff game since our NC game appearance in 2002.

Very understandable.

The one and done thing is getting old.

Doc

StorminASU
May 16th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Sorry, I thought the evaluation was based on what happened on the actual gridiron in the past ten years or so. Yep, our facilities suck and we're located in the Snow Belt. And our attendance has been near or over capacity for the past few seasons. Sorry, the NH State Legislature is trying to cut funding for the academic side of UNH, they sure aren't going to pop for a stadium enhancement in this economy.

FWIW, Friday night football isn't the norm in New England, just as many HS games are played on Saturday afternoon. Add in all the colleges in the region that also play football and you'll see there is quite a bit of competition outsides those millionaires you mentioned. People in New England also tend to be active folks who are just as likely to be out hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, fruit picking, attending county fairs, etc. on beautiful Fall days. Football isn't a religion up here, but UNH gets their fair share of fans.

Is making excuses a valid major at UNH? You're just not there yet, every dog has their day though.

dbackjon
May 16th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Lots of love for Jacksonville State... a team that has never won a playoff game.

1. Montana
1a. AppSt
3. Delaware
4. JMU
5. UNI
6. Georgia Southern
7. Montana State
8. NDSU
9. Cal Poly
10. McNeese

But you put Montana State on your list, who have only one won game in past 25 years ;)

Silenoz
May 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
App State
Delaware
Georgia Southern
James Madison
McNeese State
Montana
New Hampshire
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
Youngstown State

Silenoz
May 16th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm surprised there are a few people on this thread willing to put NDSU on their lists. I like the respect given out to NDSU football on here. Contrary to the posts on the "other" FCS board - Over there, NDSU football is the worst thing to ever happen to this planet, and all its fans are worse than Hitler.

Over on that board, if someone asked the question of what are the 10 most pathetic programs in FCS, I'm sure NDSU would be on most of those lists.
Retaliation against certain fans of yours...

TwinsBisonFan (sic) will tell you, the level-headed/good humored Bison fans are treated well

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM
But you put Montana State on your list, who have only one won game in past 5 years ;)

FIFY Who cares about 25 years ago?

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
McNeese State
Youngstown State

A couple programs living on past glory right now. I too have McNeese on my list, but both of these better start winning playoff games again soon if they want to stay in the top 10.

NuJerzBullDog
May 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
One thing that hurts SCSU is geograghy. Being within 300 miles of most all the SoCon teams means a tough first-round matchup everytime.

The 2009 SCSU team could compete to win against any team in the nation. They could run the ball, play defense and dominate in the trenches. We got lucky that we won that game.

im glad someone else can see that...

Silenoz
May 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM
A couple programs living on past glory right now. I too have McNeese on my list, but both of these better start winning playoff games again soon if they want to stay in the top 10.

Yeah, just not sure anyone else has built a body-of-work to compete with them yet

JSU02
May 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Lots of love for Jacksonville State...

And there ain't a dang thing wrong with it either :)

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 01:57 PM

No, a good handful (generally the most vocal) of NDSU fans are the worse thing to ever happen to the planet/FCS football. The product you put on the field is generally pretty good, but the overzealous fans who believe that one good season and a handful of wins over bottom of the barrel FBS squads (since joining D-I) makes NDSU god's gift to football ruin it for everyone else. I respect the NDSU football team, I don't respect a large majority of your fans.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM

App State, Montana and Delaware are the big three of the decade. No other schools have multiple NC appearances since 2000.

xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Montana
ASU
Delaware
GSU
YSU
UNI
McNeese
JMU
Nova
EWU

Bubble: UNH, W&M, Richmond, UMASS, Montana State, Furman, SIU

Based on CURRENT (last decade) success and recognition...

ASU
Montana
Delaware
GSU
UNI
JMU
UNH
Nova
EWU
Wofford/McNeese/SIU

With UMass, Furman, W&M, Montana State, Richmond, Cal Poly and NDSU on the bubble.

Walkon79
May 16th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Montana State was a top ten FCS/1AA program from inception to about 1985. We've got a long way to go before we can be considered top ten again.

But I think we're gaining on it.

- Major facility improvements upcoming
- Routinely in the top 10 in attendance
- Haven't had a losing season in 10 years

The glaring omissions are playoff appearances, and more importantly, playoff wins

Cocky
May 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM

1. Montana
1a. AppSt
3. Delaware
4. JMU
5. UNI
6. Georgia Southern
7. Montana State
8. NDSU
9. Cal Poly
10. McNeese

We havent won a playoff game but the other areas JSU would be in the top 10 easily.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Montana State was a top ten FCS/1AA program from inception to about 1985. We've got a long way to go before we can be considered top ten again.

But I think we're gaining on it.

- Major facility improvements upcoming
- Routinely in the top 10 in attendance
- Haven't had a losing season in 10 years

The glaring omissions are playoff appearances, and more importantly, playoff wins

Agreed completely.I have EWU right around the bubble area too, but for the opposite reasons. We have the playoff appearances, wins, winning seasons and all that. We even have pretty good locker rooms, and despite the color, a great field and good pressbox. The fan attendance and stadium seating overall really brings us down.

pike51
May 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
When I think of the top FCS (1AA) programs, I have to pull from personal experiences. In no way does my list reflect current ranking as of today but of all time and is strictly my opinion.

My list:

1. Georgia Southern
2. App State
3. Delaware
4. Youngstown State
5. Montana
6. UNI
7. W&M
8. Furman
9. FAMU
10. McNeese State or Northern Arizona

I may have some that could change positions, but as far as the top 10 programs, this is it to me. EWU and Richmond more recently and Lehigh always stands out in my head as well as does Jax State.

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
FWIW...

Top Attendance 2011
1. AppSt
2. Montana
3. Jackson St
4. ODU
5. Delaware
6. GSU
7. Jacksonville St
8. Harvard
9. JMU
10. NDSU
11. FAMU
12. YSU
13. SCSt
14. Tennessee St
15. Liberty
16. Yale
17. Montana St
18. McNeese St
19. NCA&T
20. UMass

Playoff wins in last 10 years (more than 2, champions *)
AppSt - 17 ***
Montana - 16 *
Delaware - 11 *
Villanova - 9 *
UNI - 9
Richmond - 8 *
GSU - 7
EWU - 6 *
Furman - 6
JMU - 6 *
UNH - 6
SIU - 5
UMass - 4
Wofford - 4
W&M - 4
Colgate - 3
McNeese - 3
WIU - 3

Hopefully I got everyone

DG Cowboy
May 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I agree that "What have you done for me lately" counts a lot on McNeese. That said, I fail to see where schools like Liberty, Montana State, and Jax State have done more recently. No offense intended to them. Bottom line is McNeese needs to get in the playoffs and win some games, or we don't deserve to be included in the Top 10.

Red & Black
May 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Also, since 2004, EWU has 2 Buck Buchanan Award Winners and 1 Payton Award Winner.

Playoff appearances 5 of the last 7 years, National Championship.

I'd think we'd deserve to at least be in the discussion.

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Also, since 2004, EWU has 2 Buck Buchanan Award Winners and 1 Payton Award Winner.

I think you are in the discussion, but the discussion was also "past success, current success, fan support, name recognition, facilities, etc". EWU is still lacking in fan support (6400 per game puts you on par with Cornell, Murray State, Prairie View, VMI, etc) and facilities. The red rug may have gotten you some recognition, but when that overshadows your national championship for your casual fan, that's not good name recognition IMO. Another good year or two however will make it impossible to not have you in the top 10.

pike51
May 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM

But to be honest, I've not been a member of this board very long and I hadn't even thought about EWU until they got the ugly field and I'm a pretty decent FCS fan. I'd suggest not many people outside the normal FCS faithful knew who they were until they got the field.

I'm in no way discounting their recent success, but to say they are a top program in the nation from a perspective point of view isn't justifiable to me.

Notre Dame hasn't done jack squat in forever, but they are still a prestigeous program in FBS.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 03:33 PM
But to be honest, I've not been a member of this board very long and I hadn't even thought about EWU until they got the ugly field and I'm a pretty decent FCS fan. I'd suggest not many people outside the normal FCS faithful knew who they were until they got the field.

I'm in no way discounting their recent success, but to say they are a top program in the nation from a perspective point of view isn't justifiable to me.

Notre Dame hasn't done jack squat in forever, but they are still a prestigeous program in FBS.

And I would say that it depends on the perspective you're looking from. All-time, vs recent (last decade). Former, no way. Latter, probably so.

Red & Black
May 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I think you are in the discussion, but the discussion was also "past success, current success, fan support, name recognition, facilities, etc". EWU is still lacking in fan support (6400 per game puts you on par with Cornell, Murray State, Prairie View, VMI, etc) and facilities. The red rug may have gotten you some recognition, but when that overshadows your national championship for your casual fan, that's not good name recognition IMO. Another good year or two however will make it impossible to not have you in the top 10.

I agree with most of what you said, but the title of the thread is Top 10 current FCS programs. Yeah, the attendance and facilities should factor into it, but I would think that what the team has accomplished on the field would have more weight. Only a handful of schools have the sort of accolades I listed above.

I think we'll see some improvements in attendance this season as well as some facility improvements coming up but it's just going to take time.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I agree with most of what you said, but the title of the thread is Top 10 current FCS programs. Yeah, the attendance and facilities should factor into it, but I would think that what the team has accomplished on the field would have more weight. Only a handful of schools have the sort of accolades I listed above.

I think we'll see some improvements in attendance this season as well as some facility improvements coming up but it's just going to take time.

Red and Black , do you post on the Eagle Forum under a different name?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2011, 04:02 PM

All the elements of a good foundation for future success are there.

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM

If it's ONLY on field and extremely current (last year), then EWU is #1. If you go with 10 years EWU is tied for 8th in playoff wins in last 10 years and still in. BUT, the criteria I posted was from the thread creator and he asked for a compliation that included history, support, facilities, etc... EWU is in the honorable mention category for me, as is JSU. This is a fluid list. 10 years ago you wouldn't imagine ever leaving YSU off the list, but I can't put them there now.

Red & Black
May 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM
If it's ONLY on field and extremely current (last year), then EWU is #1. If you go with 10 years EWU is tied for 8th in playoff wins in last 10 years and still in. BUT, the criteria I posted was from the thread creator and he asked for a compliation that included history, support, facilities, etc... EWU is in the honorable mention category for me, as is JSU. This is a fluid list. 10 years ago you wouldn't imagine ever leaving YSU off the list, but I can't put them there now.

Fair enough.

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Fair enough.

Besides, there are too many western teams on the list already.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Besides, there are too many western teams on the list already.

xlolx There's never enough.

bisonnation
May 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I wish I could throw my favorite team, North Dakota State on the list but I can't. We fit the bill for facilities and fan support. Were consistently to 7 in attendance and are pushing 10k season ticket holders. We've got a nice collection of NFL players and coaches. Tons of TV time and media coverage.

Not enough FCS history.

Ask me in 5-7 years. I wish we made the FCS transition a lot sooner.

Athough we were the kings of D2 with 8 National Championships, we lack in the FCS tradition because we've only been playoff eligible for 3 years. Many of our big wins took place during years we were not playoff eligible. We already have an elite 8 season, 4 FBS wins including Kansas and Minnesota. We have been ranked in the polls, as high as #1 during the transition years. Heck we even beat Montana as a D2 team with half the scholarships. Had we been playoff eligible the 06 and 07 teams would have made a playoff run. That would have been 3 appearances in 5 years.

As for the list? Many great programs. A few that come to mind are Appalachian, Georgia Southern, Montana... Im biased but I think the Missouri Valley has 3 teams... Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Youngstown.

Tod
May 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Well stated. And throw a couple of Walter Payton Award winners Azumah '98 and Santos '06 and a 21-4 FCS out of conference record since '02, counting playoffs.

If you're counting playoffs, and you've been to the playoffs seven years running, then you'd have to have three NCs to only have four losses. ???

ValleyChamp
May 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
If you're counting playoffs, and you've been to the playoffs seven years running, then you'd have to have three NCs to only have four losses. ???

Unless the other losses were to CAA teams.

But, I'd still have to question that stat, because UNI has beat UNH 3 times in the playoffs during that period, and I find it hard to believe that UNH only lost to 1 other non conference program during the stated time period.

Can we get some verification on that stat from someone less lazy than me?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 16th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Unless the other losses were to CAA teams.

But, I'd still have to question that stat, because UNI has beat UNH 3 times in the playoffs during that period, and I find it hard to believe that UNH only lost to 1 other non conference program during the stated time period.

Can we get some verification on that stat from someone less lazy than me?

UNI and Pitt are the only two OOC opponents UNH has lost to since '05.

Their playoff losses have come against UNI, UMass, UNI, UNI, Villanova and Delaware.

Professor Chaos
May 16th, 2011, 11:09 PM
1) App St - best and most consistent program in the FCS right now
2) Montana - sure they had a down year last year but they're still the gold standard of any FCS program
3) Delaware - traditionally the best team in the best conference in the country
4) UNI - even when they're down like last year they're still one of the better teams in the country
5) Georgia Southern - powerhouse in the FCS even though they struggled a bit over the last few years until last year, I think they're back to stay
6) JMU - nice facilities and support, consistently good, and a FBS win machine
7) Villanova - tough to rate but they've consistently good in a very tough conference
8) SIU - always at or near the top of a very tough conference, they'll be back after a down year last year
9) McNeese - the Southland is an underrated conference IMO and they've been the cream of the crop over the last decade
10) EWU - no way I'd put them top 10 before last season but a 13-2 NC season gives them the nod for me

On the cusp: UNH, Wofford, SFA, Cal Poly, Jacksonville St

89Hen
May 17th, 2011, 07:39 AM
the Southland is an underrated conference IMO

Not sure I agree with that. Southland is 1-6 in the last couple years in the playoffs.

89Hen
May 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Im biased but I think the Missouri Valley has 3 teams... Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Youngstown.

Currently?

Professor Chaos
May 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Not sure I agree with that. Southland is 1-6 in the last couple years in the playoffs.
I'm not saying the Southland is on par with the upper conferences like the CAA, SOCON, Big Sky, and MVC but I think it's a much better conference than the other one bid conferences around the coutry are.

Grizzaholic
May 17th, 2011, 10:20 AM

They don't like coming to Missoula

89Hen
May 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm not saying the Southland is on par with the upper conferences like the CAA, SOCON, Big Sky, and MVC but I think it's a much better conference than the other one bid conferences around the coutry are.

Marginally better right now. McNeese (the cream of the crop) has been getting creamed in the playoffs. SCSt has made better showings in the last five years.

UNH 49 - McNeese 13
EWU 44 - McNeese 15
Montana 31 - McNeese 6
NAU 35 - McNeese 3

If it weren't for history and attendance, I would have definitely left them out of the Top 10.

Appaholic
May 17th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm not saying the Southland is on par with the upper conferences like the CAA, SOCON, and Big Sky but I think it's a much better conference than the other one bid conferences around the coutry are and is comparable to the MVC.

fify

Appaholic
May 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
They don't like coming to Missoula

But they sure love playing App St....

JMUDuke2002
May 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM
1. ASU - no denying this
2. Delaware - 3 title trips/1 win in 10 years. Strong fanbase, tradition. Facilities need work
3. Montana - Debate between putting them 2 or 3. I chose 3
4. GSU - great fanbase, hardware on the wall, tradition, facilities need improvement
5. JMU - good success, great facilities, great fanbase, VT win
6. UNI - always seem to be strong, good facilities, good fanbase
7. UNH - success in getting to playoffs, FBS wins, facilities and fan support lacking
8. SIU - usually good, good fanbase, nice facilities
9. Richmond - tradition, facilities, fanbase (small but loyal), always seem to be in the running
10. Youngstown - although things haven't been good of late, I think they'll come back strong.

DG Cowboy
May 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Well, let's have a little fun back and ask how the Griz likes playing in Lake Charles?

DG Cowboy
May 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
McNeese absolutely needs to pick it up a notch, or suffer a reputation decline.

Silenoz
May 17th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Well, let's have a little fun back and ask how the Griz likes playing in Lake Charles?
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhDxTb2MSyhuPB5JeVQD4lz78qzrW19 NnzCBJAjTep9D6NzE4T

jmufan999
May 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
i'm making a list but i'm not defining or defending it. it's my list and i'll do what i want to, do what i want to, do what i want to.

1. ASU
2. JMU
3. Delaware
4. Montana
5. GSU
6. EWU
7. William and Mary
8. Wofford
9. UNI
10. UNH

89Hen
May 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
i'm making a list but i'm not defining or defending it.

Good, because it would be pretty darn hard to defend JMU at #2.

Grizzaholic
May 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM

yup

Houndawg
May 17th, 2011, 04:39 PM

xbawlingx xrolleyesx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM

If I had replied earlier, that is exactly what I would have posted with slightly differing punctuation I would imagine.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
xbawlingx xrolleyesx

I am a fan of almost all the Bison posters. Some of those crazy SOB's can get you through a day with relative ease.

Unless you take them too seriously. In that case...

Hounder is the antidote to any of your Bison ills.xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
May 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
UNI and Pitt are the only two OOC opponents UNH has lost to since '05.

Their playoff losses have come against UNI, UMass, UNI, UNI, Villanova and Delaware.

Montana

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Montana

Which was 2004.

yorkcountyUNHfan
May 17th, 2011, 05:32 PM
right, but part of the current streak

GoDukes86
May 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM

It would be a lot easier to defend JMU being higher than Delaware.

Apphole
May 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
i'm making a list but i'm not defining or defending it. it's my list and i'll do what i want to, do what i want to, do what i want to.

1. ASU
2. JMU
3. Delaware
4. Montana
5. GSU
6. EWU
7. William and Mary
8. Wofford
9. UNI
10. UNH

Wofford is a strong, up-and-coming program and there are few men that I respect as much as Ayers, but can you elaborate as to why they made your top 10? On field success in the last 5 years certainly, but fan base, facilities name recognition? Please elaborate.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Past and present success, fan support, name recognition, facilities.

7. Jax St. - The Gamecocks, like the Bison, need some playoff wins to solidify their place in the Top 10.
8. Youngstown St. - May be falling off the list, but history and attendance have them hanging on for me.
9. Liberty - Facilities, support, name recognition are there - need some playoff wins.
10. SC St - Has everything in place, but needs to get out of the MEAC.

Huh? None of those are in the top ten, sans Youngstown.
Rube.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM
^^@app hole - it's easily explainable. He's a JMU fan that knows Richmond belongs on the list, possibly higher than JMU, but he needed to find somebody else to include because he can't stand the hated Ticks. There is no other explanation.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
In no particular order, these would be my top 10.

Montana
Northern Iowa
mcNeese St
App St
Ga Southern
North Dakota St
Delaware
JMU
Richmond
Eastern Washington

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
In order:
1. Montana
2. Appy
3. Ga Southern
4. Delaware
5. James Madison
6. Northern Iowa
7. Youngstown st.
8. Richmomd
9. EWU
10. MsNeese state

TheBisonator
May 17th, 2011, 09:12 PM
My 10 in no particular order:

Appalachian State
James Madison
Montana
Georgia Southern
Southern Illinois
McNeese State
Northern Iowa
Delaware
North Dakota State
William and Mary

Honorable mention: Richmond, Eastern Washington, Furman

Grizzaholic
May 17th, 2011, 09:14 PM
My 10 in no particular order:

Appalachian State
James Madison
Montana
Georgia Southern
Southern Illinois
McNeese State
Northern Iowa
Delaware
North Dakota State
William and Mary

Honorable mention: Richmond, Eastern Washington, Furman

Not to be a dick, but to not have the defending NC's in there is not right.

TheBisonator
May 17th, 2011, 09:23 PM

Not everybody had EWU on their list, ya know.

Their fan support is thinner than high school cafeteria soup, so that's why they're not in my top 10.

Houndawg
May 17th, 2011, 09:23 PM
1) ASU
2) UM
3) UD
4) UNI
5) UNH
6) JMU
7) SIU
8) EWU
9) GSU
10) UR

GoDukes86
May 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM
^^@app hole - it's easily explainable. He's a JMU fan that knows Richmond belongs on the list, possibly higher than JMU, but he needed to find somebody else to include because he can't stand the hated Ticks. There is no other explanation.

This theory has one gaping hole in that there are several other fans here who have also excluded Richmond from their lists...not just JMU fans. Unless everyone hates the Tics...so you might indeed have a point.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 17th, 2011, 09:34 PM
This theory has one gaping hole in that there are several other fans here who have also excluded Richmond from their lists...not just JMU fans. Unless everyone hates the Tics...so you might indeed have a point.

App hole wasn't referring to other polls. Just jmu999's. Thanks for trying though.

Tribal
May 17th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm going to start a Top 10 thread to end all Top 10 threads...

GoDukes86
May 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
App hole wasn't referring to other polls. Just jmu999's. Thanks for trying though.

Well then, you've got nothing to worry about. Thanks for thinking about us all the time though.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 07:21 AM

If you say so. JMU has the better stadium going in, but that's the only place you have UD beat. Hens have been to the NC game three times in the last 10, Dukes once. UD has averaged 20,000 fans for quite a few years running. JMU hasn't had the capacity to do that, but until you do, Hens are still in front of you in numbers.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Not necessarily. One year does not make a program. If you want snapshots, then EWU is #1.

Grizzaholic
May 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Not necessarily. One year does not make a program. If you want snapshots, then EWU is #1.

THey have been good the past few years.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 07:36 AM
THey have been good the past few years.

2-4 in the playoffs in last 10+ years before last year. There are quite a few programs that can boast better. Throw in mediocre attendance figures and a one sided stadium with a track... having them in the honorable mention category seems at least reasonable to me.

Grizzaholic
May 18th, 2011, 07:37 AM
2-4 in the playoffs in last 10+ years before last year. There are quite a few programs that can boast better. Throw in mediocre attendance figures and a one sided stadium with a track... having them in the honorable mention category seems at least reasonable to me.

But..but Their field is red....RED!!!

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM
But..but Their field is red....RED!!!

EWU is #1 in field recognition. Everyone else is tied for second.

State Line Liquors
May 18th, 2011, 08:02 AM

Proceed with your defense.

kalm
May 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Not everybody had EWU on their list, ya know.

Their fan support is thinner than high school cafeteria soup, so that's why they're not in my top 10.

But not that much worse than UNH, Wofford, or Richmond who made a number of lists that EWU didn't, two of which have never won a NC and have half as many playoff wins, and one of which has never made it past the quarters.

And having NDSU on the list ahead of us is equally as strange. To each their own.

kalm
May 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM

But you don't get to throw out last year, do ya? We might be a bubble team if you rate stadium/attendance of on field performance.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
But you don't get to throw out last year, do ya? We might be a bubble team if you rate stadium/attendance of on field performance.

You are a bubble team because of stadium/attendance. I said it earlier, if we went only on performance last year, you're #1. But that's not what the question was.

BTW, this is all opinion anyway. I have no problem with somebody putting EWU in the Top 10, but at the same time I do have a problem with somebody who thinks they MUST be in the Top 10. There are only a couple of universal teams that really MUST be there to be credible IMO... AppSt, Montana and UD.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Proceed with your defense.

I can take this one. No problem.

Dude, they won a National Championship in 2004 and have won a total of 2 playoff games in the 6 subsequent seasons. xscanx

If that doesn't qualify a team to be Top 2 or 3 on this list, what does?

Capiche?

kalm
May 18th, 2011, 09:09 AM
You are a bubble team because of stadium/attendance. I said it earlier, if we went only on performance last year, you're #1. But that's not what the question was.

BTW, this is all opinion anyway. I have no problem with somebody putting EWU in the Top 10, but at the same time I do have a problem with somebody who thinks they MUST be in the Top 10. There are only a couple of universal teams that really MUST be there to be credible IMO... AppSt, Montana and UD.

Agreed, but putting Wofford, UNH, and NDSU ahead is an odd opinion and if you don't do that you start running out of teams pretty quick.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Agreed, but putting Wofford, UNH, and NDSU ahead is an odd opinion and if you don't do that you start running out of teams pretty quick.

Of those three, I only have NDSU on my list. That has mostly to do with attendance, wins over Kansas, Minnesota and Ball St, and in case you didn't hear, they kinda got jobbed in their semifinal game last year. :p

Cocky
May 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
It all has to do with your definition of program. Which is more important attendance, proformance, conference affiliation, playoff participant, jealousy, facilities or do I just like or dislike them.

THE HERD
May 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM
1) App. St.
2) Griz
3) Hens
4) G. Southern
5) UNI
6) JMU
7) Villanova
8) Salukis
9) Spiders
10)UNH

On the brink: EWU, Wofford, Mont. St., NDSU

bostonspider
May 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Well when looking at top "programs", I think you need to look at schools that consistently have a chance to win a national title. So this obviously includes prestige, coaching, stadium, facilities, conference, recent success, academic support, fan support, campus, location. The interesting thing is that the last 3 national champions all are somewhat deficient in certain of these areas, so it is harder to say that the best programs are just the schools with the best facilities / fan support and what not. But if I had to make a list of the top 10 CURRENT FCS programs I guess it would look like this:

ASU
Montana
Delaware
UNI
JMU
Richmond
Villanova
Georgia Southern
W&M
EWU

UNH and SUI are definitely right up there, but have not had quite the playoff success. NDSU could obviously quickly join this list if they can continue to have FCS success

Screamin_Eagle174
May 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Of those three, I only have NDSU on my list. That has mostly to do with attendance, wins over Kansas, Minnesota and Ball St, and in case you didn't hear, they kinda got jobbed in their semifinal game last year. :p

QUARTERfinal xcoffeex

And no they didn't. Controversial call could've gone either way, but it would've only allowed them to tie. Their defense *****ed them over.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM
W&M

UNH and SUI are definitely right up there, but have not had quite the playoff success.

FWIW, W&M is 4-4 in the playoffs in the last ten years, UNH is 6-7

ursus arctos horribilis
May 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
QUARTERfinal xcoffeex

And no they didn't. Controversial call could've gone either way, but it would've only allowed them to tie. Their defense *****ed them over.

I don't think you are getting what 89 and I have been doing lately Sceam. It's what's known as a "heel turn" in wrestling. Join the group and poke fun from the inside for a while by agreeing with those NDSU folks like JBB. It's a richer laugh.

LUHawker
May 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
There are only a couple of universal teams that really MUST be there to be credible IMO... AppSt, Montana and UD.

I can't believe that I am agreeing with a Hen fan :)), but hey we recently did have a blue moon. These three are definitely must haves for the list and I would probably add Georgia Southern, UMass and McNeese. Oh, and of course, Lehigh ;)

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I can't believe that I am agreeing with a Hen fan :)), but hey we recently did have a blue moon. These three are definitely must haves for the list and I would probably add Georgia Southern, UMass and McNeese. Oh, and of course, Lehigh ;)

You took it too far. It's easy to make a case against McNeese given their horrible playoff record in the last 7-8 years. They've been getting crushed in the first round worse than MEAC teams. GSU would be a lock for historic programs, but before last year's trip to the semis, they've had a tough go of it (21-23 previous four years and hadn't won a playoff game since 2002). UMass is in the middle of a pretty ugly spell too.

GoDukes86
May 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I can take this one. No problem.

Dude, they won a National Championship in 2004 and have won a total of 2 playoff games in the 6 subsequent seasons. xscanx

If that doesn't qualify a team to be Top 2 or 3 on this list, what does?

Capiche?

This.

Hey Moliva, lighten up a little. You seem to have a lot of anger towards everything JMU. I understand we're rivals and everything, but it's nothing to be angry about all the time. Trust me, there's a lot of other things worth more important.

Tell ya what, when the Spiders visit Bridgeforth on Oct. 1, stop by my tailgate, I'll buy you a beer and you can release your message board anger towards the Dukes a little.

tribefan40
May 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM

W&M's four wins came on two semi-final runs, losing close games to the eventual champ each time. UNH never made it past the quarters. Quality vs. quantity I guess.

FWIW, W&M is 8-0 against UNH the last ten years.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM
W&M's four wins came on two semi-final runs, losing close games to the eventual champ each time. UNH never made it past the quarters. Quality vs. quantity I guess.

So then you're behind: UD, JMU, UMass, Villanova, Richmond, EWU, Montana, AppSt, UNI and Colgate who have all been deeper. Still not in top 10. :p

tribefan40
May 18th, 2011, 01:43 PM
So then you're behind: UD, JMU, UMass, Villanova, Richmond, EWU, Montana, AppSt, UNI and Colgate who have all been deeper. Still not in top 10. :p

I don't think I was making an argument for being top 10, just pointing out that numbers can be deceiving. I would say that W&M is comfortably in the top 15, too many off seasons in there to justify top ten, IMO.

Just to keep it rolling, does one deep run (championship or no) justify a top ten?

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I don't think I was making an argument for being top 10, just pointing out that numbers can be deceiving. I would say that W&M is comfortably in the top 15, too many off seasons in there to justify top ten, IMO.

Just to keep it rolling, does one deep run (championship or no) justify a top ten?

Nope.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM
This.

Hey Moliva, lighten up a little. You seem to have a lot of anger towards everything JMU. I understand we're rivals and everything, but it's nothing to be angry about all the time. Trust me, there's a lot of other things worth more important.

Tell ya what, when the Spiders visit Bridgeforth on Oct. 1, stop by my tailgate, I'll buy you a beer and you can release your message board anger towards the Dukes a little.

Yes, we're rivals. I do know plenty of JMU fans and grads that I'm friendly with.

I just don't understand the (mis)perception of the JMU program by JMU fans and fans of other teams on message boards. Can anyone explain to me why JMU is considered among the Top 3 or 4 FCS Programs, besides the fact that they are working on a $62M stadium expansion?

xconfusedx

Based on actual accomplishments, JMU would barely belong in the Top 10 of this list.

Is Tennessee considered one of the best programs in BCS just because Neyland Stadium seats 110,000?

GoDukes86
May 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Yes, we're rivals. I do know plenty of JMU fans and grads that I'm friendly with.

I just don't understand the (mis)perception of the JMU program by JMU fans and fans of other teams on message boards. Can anyone explain to me why JMU is considered among the Top 3 or 4 FCS Programs, besides the fact that they are working on a $62M stadium expansion?

xconfusedx

Based on actual accomplishments, JMU would barely belong in the Top 10 of this list.

Is Tennessee considered one of the best programs in BCS just because Neyland Stadium seats 110,000?

Please explain to me why anyone would believe anything that's said on football message board...anything! Especially this one, it's sole existence is nothing more than a place for fans to say anything to rile-up an opponent! I just assume that everything that's said here is tongue-in-cheek...it keeps everything in perspective and even makes me chuckle a great deal. Besides, there's a handful of posters who didn't have UR on their lists...in the end, who cares!

My invite for a beer is still open...stop by, we're a lot of fun!

Red & Black
May 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM

NDSU? Lol, no chance. What have they done in FCS?

ValleyChamp
May 18th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Um excuse me, but NDSU got robbed in the Bill Fette bowl. That's what they've done.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM

I guess you only read partial posts.

State Line Liquors
May 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Please explain to me why anyone would believe anything that's said on football message board...anything! Especially this one, it's sole existence is nothing more than a place for fans to say anything to rile-up an opponent! I just assume that everything that's said here is tongue-in-cheek...it keeps everything in perspective and even makes me chuckle a great deal. Besides, there's a handful of posters who didn't have UR on their lists...in the end, who cares!

My invite for a beer is still open...stop by, we're a lot of fun!

xflaggedx

Are you going to elaborate on the easy JMU over UD point, or are you just going to keep handing out tickets to the beer summit in the White House vegetable garden?

kalm
May 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I guess you only read partial posts.

So in your book you rate attendance, 4 mostly irrelevant FBS wins, one trip, and two wins in the FCS playoffs ahead of eight trips, 10 wins, three FBS wins, three quarters, two semi's, and one NC. Interesting.

GoDukes86
May 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM
xflaggedx

Are you going to elaborate on the easy JMU over UD point, or are you just going to keep handing out tickets to the beer summit in the White House vegetable garden?

Hey, don't worry there Joe Biden, you're invited too!

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 05:04 PM
So in your book you rate attendance, 4 mostly irrelevant FBS wins, one trip, and two wins in the FCS playoffs ahead of eight trips, 10 wins, three FBS wins, three quarters, two semi's, and one NC. Interesting.

Eight trips? How far back do you want to go?

Eastern Kentucky = 19 trips, 15 wins, 2 quarters, 3 semis, 2 finals and 2 NC's

BTW, Idaho in 2003 and 1997, UConn in 2001 (a year after they moved up)... did you think I wouldn't look that up?

kalm
May 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Eight trips? How far back do you want to go?

Eastern Kentucky = 19 trips, 15 wins, 2 quarters, 3 semis, 2 finals and 2 NC's

BTW, Idaho in 2003 and 1997, UConn in 2001 (a year after they moved up)... did you think I wouldn't look that up?

Of course I thought you would, and those 3 FBS wins when comparing the top 10 current FCS programs are only slightly less relevant than NDSU's 4 which are fairly irrelevant unless you measure FCS success by that metric.

I wouldn't trade our recent and past playoff success and small fan base for a short history with some nice but mostly irrelevant fbs wins and 10,000 more fans at home games. But that's just me. xcoolx

kalm
May 18th, 2011, 05:47 PM
BTW hen, I wonder how NDSU would have faired against a 12-1 Nevada, #10 ranked Cal, #12 ranked Texas Tech, 5-7 Colorado, 11-2 BYU, 10-4 OSU, and 11-2 West Virginia since 2006?

TheBisonator
May 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM
BTW hen, I wonder how NDSU would have faired against a 12-1 Nevada, #10 ranked Cal, #12 ranked Texas Tech, 5-7 Colorado, 11-2 BYU, 10-4 OSU, and 11-2 West Virginia since 2006?

We really don't care. We know you're scared of NDSU, so just quit the schpiel.

kalm
May 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
xnodx

Only when lacking cowbell or Fette.

LUHawker
May 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
You took it too far. It's easy to make a case against McNeese given their horrible playoff record in the last 7-8 years. They've been getting crushed in the first round worse than MEAC teams. GSU would be a lock for historic programs, but before last year's trip to the semis, they've had a tough go of it (21-23 previous four years and hadn't won a playoff game since 2002). UMass is in the middle of a pretty ugly spell too.

Maybe we're defining "current" differently and it appears that I am using a longer timeframe. Still, UMass was in the NC not all that long ago.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 18th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I don't think you are getting what 89 and I have been doing lately Sceam. It's what's known as a "heel turn" in wrestling. Join the group and poke fun from the inside for a while by agreeing with those NDSU folks like JBB. It's a richer laugh.

My bad... my sarcasm detector wasn't up to full speed this morning. Still working on this early morning consciousness thing. It's been awhile. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
May 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM

NDSU wouldn't have lost to Colorado. I mean, they know how to hold onto 7 point leads in the 4th quarter against superior teams. AM I RIGHT!?

Tribal
May 18th, 2011, 10:52 PM

I know you're talking about playoffs. W&M is 4-3 in the playoffs since 2004. 8-0 against UNH in the last 10 years. 6 of these wins were against highly ranked UNH teams to include a 42-10 win when UNH was #1. Percentage is in W&M's favor but appearances is clearly in UNH's favor. The head-to-head is no contest. I'd rather have UNH's consistency...13 recent playoff appearances is laudable.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 18th, 2011, 10:53 PM

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

89Hen
May 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I know you're talking about playoffs. W&M is 4-3 in the playoffs since 2004.
And 4-4 in the last ten years as I stated. I don't have UNH or W&M in my current top 10. I'd have to go back to see why I was even comparing the two.

Edit... now I see. A Spider said that UNH hadn't had the playoff success W&M did. You could say that W&M has had more because they've gotten to the semis twice, but they haven't been as many times or have as many wins. Toss up IMO.

89Hen
May 19th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Maybe we're defining "current" differently and it appears that I am using a longer timeframe. Still, UMass was in the NC not all that long ago.

Yeah, everyone is probably drawing the line in different places, but I'm going on a 5-10 yearish timeframe. UMass doesn't have anywhere near the support of Montana, AppSt or Delaware and doesn't have as many trips deep into the playoffs. They certainly could be in a top 10, but really aren't even close to being a MUST in the top 10.

Gil Dobie
May 4th, 2021, 02:30 PM
The recent thread on preseason ranking got me thinking, "what are the top 10 FCS programs out there". I mean in terms of past success, current success, fan support, name recognition, facilities, ect. Obviously every homer here will place their school at 1 so objectivity would be nice, though I don't expect much of it. This is in order although I admit I'm not as familiar with those who may fall at the end of the list.

1. App State!
2. Georgia Southern
3. Montana
4. JMU
5. Delaware
6. Furman
7. W&M
8. Montana State
9. Jacksonville State
10. Richmond

Great read, interesting thread that started in 2011, before NDSU began their run and EWU was fresh off their championship.

Bearkat04
May 4th, 2021, 02:53 PM
Interesting list looking back 10 years. Where are we now? 1&2 are obvious but I’d be interested to see a new list.

89Hen
May 4th, 2021, 02:53 PM
I've enjoyed going down memory lane in what was a mostly respectful discussion.

89Hen
May 4th, 2021, 03:01 PM
Interesting list looking back 10 years. Where are we now? 1&2 are obvious but I’d be interested to see a new list.
Off the top of my head....

EWU
JMU
JSU
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
Sam Houston
SDSU
UNI
Weber

Daytripper
May 4th, 2021, 03:22 PM

EWU
JMU
JSU
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
Sam Houston
SDSU
UNI
Weber

I hope this isn't in any order...

Professor Chaos
May 4th, 2021, 03:28 PM
If you want to base it off of OL FU's "best of the playoffs" scoring structure these are the all-time top 10 (for teams currently in the FCS).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51159250995_59f473da0d_w.jpg

These numbers haven't been updated yet with this spring's playoff numbers (I'll do that once the playoffs are over).

JSUSoutherner
May 4th, 2021, 03:37 PM
If you want to base it off of OL FU's "best of the playoffs" scoring structure these are the all-time top 10 (for teams currently in the FCS).

These numbers haven't been updated yet with this spring's playoff numbers (I'll do that once the playoffs are over).

EKU lul

Gil Dobie
May 4th, 2021, 03:48 PM

EWU
JMU
JSU
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
Sam Houston
SDSU
UNI
Weber

That's a decent list.

WeAreThePride
May 4th, 2021, 03:59 PM

Absurd that a team with fewer total wins, more total losses, a FAR lower win percentage, and fewer championships is considered to be more successful than NDSU. Literally the only stat they have in their favor is total appearances.

ST_Lawson
May 4th, 2021, 04:01 PM
I hope this isn't in any order...

It is in an order...alphabetical.

JSUSoutherner
May 4th, 2021, 04:02 PM
It is in an order...alphabetical.

Give him a break with the alphabet. He did go to SHSU.

FUBeAR
May 4th, 2021, 06:13 PM

EWU
JMU
JSU
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
Sam Houston
SDSU
UNI
Weber

Is this enough to get Weber on the current Top 10 list? Nice run of qualifying the past 5 years, but I’m not sure that it is enough...I might be letting that curb-stomping I saw Chatt deliver to them in 2016 be affecting my opinion too heavily.

Division I-AA/FCS Playoffs

The Weber State Wildcats have appeared in the I-AA/FCS playoffs nine times, with an overall record of 7–9.

Year
Round
Opponent
Result

1987 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season#Postseason)
First Round
Quarterfinals
@ Idaho (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Idaho_Vandals_football_team)
@ Marshall (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football)
W 59–30
L23–51

1991 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season#Postseason)
First Round
@ Northern Iowa (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Iowa_Panthers_football)
L21–38

2008 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
First Round
Quarterfinals
@ Cal Poly (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Cal_Poly_Mustangs_football_team)
@ Montana (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Montana_Grizzlies_football_team)
W 49–35
L13–24

2009 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
First Round
@ William & Mary (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_William_%26_Mary_Tribe_football_team)
L25–38

2016 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
First Round
@ Chattanooga (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Chattanooga_Mocs_football_team)
L14–45

2017 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
First Round
Second Round
Quarterfinals
Western Illinois (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Western_Illinois_Leathernecks_football_team)
@ Southern Utah (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Southern_Utah_Thunderbirds_football_team)
@ James Madison (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_James_Madison_Dukes_football_team)
W 21–19
W 30–13
L28–31

2018 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
Second Round
Quarterfinals
SE Missouri State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Southeast_Missouri_State_Redhawks_football_te am)
Maine (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Maine_Black_Bears_football_team)
W 48–23
L18–23

2019 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
Second Round
Quarterfinals
Semifinals
Kennesaw State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Kennesaw_State_Owls_football_team)
Montana (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Montana_Grizzlies_football_team)
@ James Madison (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_James_Madison_Dukes_football_team)
W 26–20
W 17–10
L14–30

2020*
First Round
Southern Illinois
L 31-34

Gil Dobie
May 4th, 2021, 06:35 PM
Is this enough to get Weber on the current Top 10 list? Nice run of qualifying the past 5 years, but I’m not sure that it is enough...I might be letting that curb-stomping I saw Chatt deliver to them in 2016 be affecting my opinion too heavily.

The Weber State Wildcats have appeared in the I-AA/FCS playoffs nine times, with an overall record of 7–9.

Year
Round
Opponent
Result

1987 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season#Postseason)
First Round
Quarterfinals
W 59–30
L23–51

1991 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season#Postseason)
First Round
@ Northern Iowa (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Iowa_Panthers_football)
L21–38

2008 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
First Round
Quarterfinals
@ Cal Poly (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Cal_Poly_Mustangs_football_team)
@ Montana (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Montana_Grizzlies_football_team)
W 49–35
L13–24

2009 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
First Round
@ William & Mary (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_William_%26_Mary_Tribe_football_team)
L25–38

2016 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
First Round
@ Chattanooga (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Chattanooga_Mocs_football_team)
L14–45

2017 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
First Round
Second Round
Quarterfinals
Western Illinois (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Western_Illinois_Leathernecks_football_team)
@ Southern Utah (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Southern_Utah_Thunderbirds_football_team)
@ James Madison (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_James_Madison_Dukes_football_team)
W 21–19
W 30–13
L28–31

2018 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
Second Round
Quarterfinals
SE Missouri State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Southeast_Missouri_State_Redhawks_football_te am)
W 48–23
L18–23

2019 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)
Second Round
Quarterfinals
Semifinals
Kennesaw State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Kennesaw_State_Owls_football_team)
@ James Madison (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_James_Madison_Dukes_football_team)
W 26–20
W 17–10
L14–30

2020*
First Round
Southern Illinois
L 31-34

Who would you replace them with for the current top 10?

Professor Chaos
May 4th, 2021, 06:36 PM
Absurd that a team with fewer total wins, more total losses, a FAR lower win percentage, and fewer championships is considered to be more successful than NDSU. Literally the only stat they have in their favor is total appearances.
It's not beyond criticism but I think it's a pretty fair gauge overall using an escalating point system based on how deep you get into the playoffs. A first round loss is worth 5 points up to a championship being worth 100 points (which would require a first round win in a 24 team format as well so NDSU and JMU have only gotten 95 points for championships in recent years - this year's winner will only get 95 as well). Montana has played 20 more playoff games than NDSU has so that's where they get their advantage even though from a "points per game" NDSU is much higher due to more titles and deeper runs in general.

Sitting Bull
May 4th, 2021, 06:42 PM

Year
Round
Opponent
Result

First Round
Quarterfinals
W 59–30
L23–51

First Round
L21–38

First Round
Quarterfinals
W 49–35
L13–24

First Round
L25–38

First Round
L14–45

First Round
Second Round
Quarterfinals
W 21–19
W 30–13
L28–31

Second Round
Quarterfinals
W 48–23
L18–23

Second Round
Quarterfinals
Semifinals
W 26–20
W 17–10
L14–30

2020*
First Round
Southern Illinois
L 31-34

W&M beat Weber 38-0 in the 2009 playoffs

FUBeAR
May 4th, 2021, 06:48 PM
Who would you replace them with for the current top 10?
I’d let The Professor run his Prediculation Machine & cogitate up that answer.

Professor Chaos
May 4th, 2021, 06:57 PM
I’d let The Professor run his Prediculation Machine & cogitate up that answer.
Weber has a ways to go. They're tied at #28 (with Jacksonville St interestingly enough) amongst current FCS programs with 175 points. The teams on the cusp of the top 10 are McNeese (360), Richmond (350), UNH (345), and Villanova (325) but the top 10 are going to separate themselves pretty well after Sam Houston's points from this year are added in since they'll have at least a 100 point lead on McNeese after that.

NY Crusader 2010
May 5th, 2021, 10:12 AM
My Top 10 programs as of today (in order)

NDSU
JMU
Sam Houston State
South Dakota State
Villanova
Eastern Washington
Northern Iowa
Montana
Jacksonville State
New Hampshire

Daytripper
May 5th, 2021, 10:19 AM
Give him a break with the alphabet. He did go to SHSU.

How's that JSU degree working out for you? Did it properly prepare you to work a deep fryer AND a cash register?

JSUSoutherner
May 5th, 2021, 10:45 AM
How's that JSU degree working out for you? Did it properly prepare you to work a deep fryer AND a cash register?

I mean I'm currently on a team engineering a $400m site for a customer who's listed on the S&P500.

So not too shabby.

FUBeAR
May 5th, 2021, 11:02 AM
I mean I'm currently a team engineer for a customer whose (sic) listed in the phone book (yeah, THE NEW PHONEBOOK’s HERE!)

So not too shabby.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/RN7GAD/steve-martin-the-jerk-1979-RN7GAD.jpg

acbearkat
May 5th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Sam is a recent playoff contender on a regular basis. The Bearkats didn't make it to the playoffs much under Ron Randleman, and didn't make it under Todd Whitten. However, Sam Houston is located in a recruiting hotbed, with the school being located in the Greater Houston area, and the Houston area produces plenty of talent, especially state powerhouses like Katy and Galena Park North Shore. The SHSU campus is about 70 miles due north of downtown Houston. Sam is also making some recruiting inroads into the DFW Metroplex.

wapiti
May 5th, 2021, 11:20 AM

Jerk

89Hen
May 5th, 2021, 11:32 AM
I think some of you "newer" guys (you're all new to me) need to go back and read the premise of these rankings. This is not all-time and it's not just playoff records. Everyone can make up their own rules for how you grade a program and how far back you want to go. Delaware would be a no-brainer if you go back further, but they are not on my list because they have been down for several years.

And yes, my quick list was alpha (obviously) and Weber was not only the last team in order, but the last team to make the list. I was struggling to put find a 10th that was worthy.

JSUSoutherner
May 5th, 2021, 11:53 AM

Look at that poor UTC grad.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 5th, 2021, 12:33 PM
Look at the ol' 89Hen showing his beak around the place. Good to see you my man!

He is one of the bricks that this place was built on so you SOB's better show some respect!
x406x

Mfergy4
May 5th, 2021, 12:43 PM

Had fun digesting these numbers, and my hats off to the old guard listed here for their consistent appearances. One thing to notice is the number of appearances and winning percentage and how it correlates. Prime example is between Northern Iowa and Eastern Kentucky....same number of appears but even with two titles Eastern is out ranked by Northern due to the fact Northern has won more games to advance. I hope some of these old guard teams re-gain their moxie soon and re-appear in the play-off scene. We "relatively new upstarts" would love to see their resurgence to relevance to broaden the play-off scene and keep putting positive light on the FCS level of play. Actually playing for a play-off title has more meaning than a new writers ranking and a bowl game appearance. Pride of achievement! Reward for the hard work! Playing for something meaningful has relevance.

JSUSoutherner
May 5th, 2021, 12:48 PM
Look at the ol' 89Hen showing his beak around the place. Good to see you my man!

He is one of the bricks that this place was built on so you SOB's better show some respect!
x406x

Aren't you missing a Gunsmoke rerun or something, old man? :D

ursus arctos horribilis
May 5th, 2021, 03:19 PM
Aren't you missing a Gunsmoke rerun or something, old man? :D

No Festus, I am not.

JSUSoutherner
May 5th, 2021, 04:12 PM
No Festus, I am not.

Of course you're not. No self respecting old man would ever miss a rerun of Gunsmoke.

caribbeanhen
May 5th, 2021, 04:20 PM
I think some of you "newer" guys (you're all new to me) need to go back and read the premise of these rankings. This is not all-time and it's not just playoff records. Everyone can make up their own rules for how you grade a program and how far back you want to go. Delaware would be a no-brainer if you go back further, but they are not on my list because they have been down for several years.

And yes, my quick list was alpha (obviously) and Weber was not only the last team in order, but the last team to make the list. I was struggling to put find a 10th that was worthy.

Well we all have a face that we hide away forever

Billy Joel

Welcome back stranger

JSUSoutherner
May 5th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Well we all have a face that we hide away forever

Billy Joel

Welcome back stranger

His best album.

HensRock
May 6th, 2021, 12:05 AM
If looking for a 10th team to replace Weber St, I nominate Marty Scarano. (Not UNH - just Marty Scarano)

89Hen
May 6th, 2021, 11:36 AM

Thanks! I'm just trying to pad my post count to keep you from passing me. xsmiley_wix

Daytripper
May 6th, 2021, 12:26 PM
His best album.

We agree on something. xdontknowx

KPSUL
May 6th, 2021, 12:30 PM
If looking for a 10th team to replace Weber St, I nominate Marty Scarano. (Not UNH - just Marty Scarano)

I wouldn't put UNH in the top 10 at the moment, what ever method you use to determine the "current" top teams needs to weigh the most recent years heavier and we have an overall losing record 2018 - Spring 2021. However old Hen89 is, or isn't, I don't believe his system weighs recent years heavier - otherwise NDSU would be #1 and JMU #2.

The 5 year period 2013 - 2017 (when Marty was on the committee) we had a 8-5 playoff record and made the Semi-final twice the quarters once. From 2004-2016 we had about a .500 win percentage in the payoffs and were selected every year. We also ran off 5 consecutive FBS wins in a 6 year period. I recall 2016 as the year there was the most bitching and moaning about UNH making the field. That year there were at least 5 teams in the playoffs with either 7 or 6 Div 1 wins. UNH was the only one to win its 1st round playoff game. The one year a team actually had a legitimate gripe abut UNH making it when they didn't was Towson in 2012, However, Towson didn't meet the hard minimum number of Div 1 wins of 7 that existed at the time.

Are some of you Blue Hens guys ever going to forget 2006 and 2007? And I've been Delaware's biggest advocate here all season. This will be the first time in 2021 I pick against a Hens win and even though I expect SDSU to win, I'd still like to see our CAA mates get the win and go the the Championship.

HensRock
May 6th, 2021, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't put UNH in the top 10 at the moment, what ever method you use to determine the "current" top teams needs to weigh the most recent years heavier and we have an overall losing record 2018 - Spring 2021. However old Hen89 is, or isn't, I don't believe his system weighs recent years heavier - otherwise NDSU would be #1 and JMU #2.

The 5 year period 2013 - 2017 (when Marty was on the committee) we had a 8-5 playoff record and made the Semi-final twice the quarters once. From 2004-2016 we had about a .500 win percentage in the payoffs and were selected every year. We also ran off 5 consecutive FBS wins in a 6 year period. I recall 2016 as the year there was the most bitching and moaning about UNH making the field. That year there were at least 5 teams in the playoffs with either 7 or 6 Div 1 wins. UNH was the only one to win its 1st round playoff game. The one year a team actually had a legitimate gripe abut UNH making it when they didn't was Towson in 2012, However, Towson didn't meet the hard minimum number of Div 1 wins of 7 that existed at the time.

Are some of you Blue Hens guys ever going to forget 2006 and 2007? And I've been Delaware's biggest advocate here all season. This will be the first time in 2021 I pick against a Hens win and even though I expect SDSU to win, I'd still like to see our CAA mates get the win and go the the Championship.

The Scarano pick was tongue firmly in cheek, of course. Appreciate the support KPSUL.
I believe it was actually 2017 that was the season of our discontent.
Both UDel and UNH were 7-4. Honestly, I didn't think either team deserved to make the field, but I certainly thought Delaware deserved it more than UNH.
We both kinda crapped the bed by losing our last game and I see that UD went 3-2 against or 5 common opponents while UNH was 2-3, but I recall there was some other comparison that was more of a smoking gun argument for UD, but can't remember it. One of our losses was to FBS VA Tech also that year, and UNH had a bad loss to Holy Cross.

JSUSoutherner
May 6th, 2021, 01:45 PM
We agree on something. xdontknowx

This can not be allowed.

Why can't you just like Streetlife Serenade or something so I can tell you how wrong you are?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2021, 02:20 PM
Thanks! I'm just trying to pad my post count to keep you from passing me. xsmiley_wix

That makes sense but I have to make this post to see how close I am.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2021, 02:22 PM
That makes sense but I have to make this post to see how close I am.

Damn, I had no idea it was that close. Seriously when I first started here I thought to myself..."How the hell can someone have that many posts" and at the time you were probably more around 12K. xlolx

Edit: Looking for another old thread and came across this one. Check out the memory lane on this one. I'm sure you and a couple others were probably the 20K or close club.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?35868-ursus-arctos-horribilis-on-his-way-to-1-000-posts

KPSUL
May 6th, 2021, 07:33 PM
The Scarano pick was tongue firmly in cheek, of course. Appreciate the support KPSUL.
I believe it was actually 2017 that was the season of our discontent.
Both UDel and UNH were 7-4. Honestly, I didn't think either team deserved to make the field, but I certainly thought Delaware deserved it more than UNH.
We both kinda crapped the bed by losing our last game and I see that UD went 3-2 against or 5 common opponents while UNH was 2-3, but I recall there was some other comparison that was more of a smoking gun argument for UD, but can't remember it. One of our losses was to FBS VA Tech also that year, and UNH had a bad loss to Holy Cross.

Delaware did have a reasonable argument about making the playoffs in 2017, and there were factors that should have favored Delaware over UNH primarily the head-to-head win. However, Danny Rocco was way out of line to make it merely a Delaware vs UNH thing - which in fact he publicly did. UNH did have an FBS win and we beat 7th ranked Elon in the 2nd to last game. To finish the 2017 story, UNH shutout NEC Champ Central CT in Round 1 (I'm pretty sure they were a ranked team at season's end - one of the better NEC Champs) We then beat SL Champ Central Arkansas who was undefeated in conference play and Seeded 4th I believe. The next week we were soundly beaten in the place your Hen's are playing this Saturday. We ended up the season ranked something like 7th - bottom line? Our playoff performance proved that there were a bunch of at-large teams not as good as UNH in the 2017 playoff.

In good fun I've made some jokes about Marty S. here on AGS. In fact, I think I started the ridiculous thing about having compromising photos about other committee members. Who knows what subtle horse trading has occurred in back room among selection committee members - the official policy is that an AD can not be in the room when the committee is discussing their own team, so any influence would be subtle and minimal at best. But for the record, Marty Scarano is a great guy and a dedicated AD. You'll find him on the sidelines, or even sitting in the stands for all UNH sports talking to fans, students and players. He's very personable and easy to strike up a conversation with. He's loyal and supportive of his coaches - some think a little to much so.

aceinthehole
May 6th, 2021, 11:00 PM
CCSU sat their QB (the school's all-time leading passer) due to an off campus party. 😭 Our #2 QB was a frosh who hadn't taken amore than 6 snaps all season. We lost 14-0.

caribbeanhen
May 7th, 2021, 08:07 AM
CCSU sat their QB (the school's all-time leading passer) due to an off campus party.  Our #2 QB was a frosh who hadn't taken amore than 6 snaps all season. We lost 14-0.

Why did one of the biggest partying generations in history decide that it was not OK for quarterbacks to party anymore

Just not right

KPSUL
May 7th, 2021, 08:17 AM
CCSU sat their QB (the school's all-time leading passer) due to an off campus party.  Our #2 QB was a frosh who hadn't taken amore than 6 snaps all season. We lost 14-0.

I thought you'd likely post that. The UNH points did not come easily in the game either. As I said, that was a very good CCSU team. Perhaps the game would have been different had the CCSU starting QB played. But you never know when it comes to backup QBs, UNH starter Trevor Knight left our Central Arkansas game in the 1st half due to injury and his backup, Christian Lupoli, played most the game throwing for only 63 yards. You might know about Lupoli, he was from CT - same HS as UNH QB (2013-14) Sean Goldrich. Lupoli left UNH after the 2017 and played very well for a Div. 2 program in CT, I think maybe New Haven?