PDA

View Full Version : NC A&T down to 10 games for 2011

T-Dog
May 11th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Opening week opponent St Paul's College from the D2 CIAA has discontinued their athletics program.

http://www.dailyadvance.com/sports/st-paulrsquos-eliminates-athletic-program-477755

Anyone have any openings?

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Is SPC going the way of Lambuth? two thirds of its students are athletes and the moves to transfer could be fatal. And they just hired a new coach this spring.

And as struggling colleges go, the web site is the last to find out.

http://www.saintpauls.edu/

TTUEagles
May 11th, 2011, 08:37 AM
TTU only has 10 games, but open dates are 10/8 and 10/22...AD said "we'll take anyone at this point"

kdinva
May 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I'm still waiting to see that Gar-Webb and Ga. State have "married-up" their common open date, to finalize those two skeds.

whoanellie
May 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
what's the deal ? wasn't it St Paul's that had to forfeit their opener last season in West Virginia Wes. due to not having helmets?
that wins the come on Man!!!! award for me. R.I.P.

TheBisonator
May 11th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Is SPC going the way of Lambuth? two thirds of its students are athletes and the moves to transfer could be fatal. And they just hired a new coach this spring.

And as struggling colleges go, the web site is the last to find out.

http://www.saintpauls.edu/

That is a..... NOT WELL DESIGNED website.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
North Carolina A&T should see if any of the Gulf South Conference (GSC) schools at the Division II level are still looking for games... those schools all got burned by Lambuth's closing and while some have managed to get games, not sure all have.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 16th, 2011, 10:10 AM
A possible solution to NCA&T and TnTU's scheduling issues:

1) NCA&T and Bethune-Cookman reschedule their 10/8 game to 9/17. This can be done because NCA&T is the HOME team. B-CU's open date now becomes 10/8 instead of 9/17.

2) NCA&T hosts TnTU on 10/8, replacing their home game vs. St. Paul's College on 9/3. This gives NCA&T the same number of home games. They would have a bye week in Week One and would have to play eleven straight weeks, but they'd have a full schedule.

I think this could happen. It makes a lot of sense, as long as B-CU is willing.

TTUEagles
May 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
A possible solution to NCA&T and TnTU's scheduling issues:

1) NCA&T and Bethune-Cookman reschedule their 10/8 game to 9/17. This can be done because NCA&T is the HOME team. B-CU's open date now becomes 10/8 instead of 9/17.

2) NCA&T hosts TnTU on 10/8, replacing their home game vs. St. Paul's College on 9/3. This gives NCA&T the same number of home games. They would have a bye week in Week One and would have to play eleven straight weeks, but they'd have a full schedule.

I think this could happen. It makes a lot of sense, as long as B-CU is willing.

I would love that. I've e-mailed TTU's AD about it and some other ideas. But, how is NC A&T or B-Cookman going to know about it? I'm pretty sure, at the middle of May, IF TTU can get an 11th game, it would have to be some sort of very low division opponent (NAIA, etc.)...Disappointing, that's for sure. It makes me wonder why the schedule can't get done waaaay earlier in the year.

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
It makes me wonder why the schedule can't get done waaaay earlier in the year.

Schedules in most cases are done 'waaay' earlier in the year, but as we are seeing with Lambuth and Saint Paul's cutting athletics in the last 30 days plus a myriad of other changes brought on through various other things (thanks ESPN!) - this happens more frequently with late-game scheduling than we think.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I would love that. I've e-mailed TTU's AD about it and some other ideas. But, how is NC A&T or B-Cookman going to know about it? I'm pretty sure, at the middle of May, IF TTU can get an 11th game, it would have to be some sort of very low division opponent (NAIA, etc.)...Disappointing, that's for sure. It makes me wonder why the schedule can't get done waaaay earlier in the year.

NCA&T has the same issue that the schools that scheduled Lambuth have: their NAIA opponent suddenly folded, leaving them scrambling for options. TTU needs an 11th game; NCA&T needs an 11th game. The only school that might not want to play ball is Bethune Cookman, but they might be willing to do something considering they don't lose a home game.

What's also very interesting is a bye week later in the season might even work out better for them. 10/8 happens to fall exactly after their game against Miami (FL), so it might help nurse some injuries. I know many schools like to schedule bye weeks after FBS games.

TTUEagles
May 16th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Schedules in most cases are done 'waaay' earlier in the year, but as we are seeing with Lambuth and Saint Paul's cutting athletics in the last 30 days plus a myriad of other changes brought on through various other things (thanks ESPN!) - this happens more frequently with late-game scheduling than we think.
Right. I totally understand the 10 game issues caused by Lambuth and St. Paul's, but it's frustrating to see TTU not release a schedule until Mid-May and no real excuses on why there are only 10 games. I know at least 3 schools have backed out on them earlier this year, but I'm hoping they will start scheduling more FCS school for the OOC games and there will be less risk of a school suddenly closing up shop.

nwFL Griz
May 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM
As it is right now, there are 6 teams with only 10 games scheduled, and there is really no reason those teams couldn't get together to fill out each others schedules.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
As it is right now, there are 6 teams with only 10 games scheduled, and there is really no reason those teams couldn't get together to fill out each others schedules.

I count seven. Do one of these teams have more than 10 games scheduled?

GA State
TN Tech
NC A&T
Gardner Webb
UTSA
South AL
Alcorn State

I know GA State doesn't because of Lambuth...not sure about the rest.

TTUEagles
May 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
TTU's AD said that Alcorn St flat out refused a game with TTU home or away. I don't know any other details than that, but, I find that shocking...but, at least it shows TTU is trying.

TTUEagles
May 17th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I have been told that NC A & T didn't want to move a game and that TTU may add an 11th game - one of St. Paul College's previously scheduled D-II opponents.

nwFL Griz
May 17th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I count seven. Do one of these teams have more than 10 games scheduled?

GA State
TN Tech
NC A&T
Gardner Webb
UTSA
South AL
Alcorn State

I know GA State doesn't because of Lambuth...not sure about the rest.

You are correct, I missed one when I was counting.

Details about why the rest are only at 10 games...speculation only:

Alcorn St - based on what the TTU AD is telling TTUEagles, seems it's a conscious choice
South Ala - don't know, but maybe one of the USA fans around here can answer
UTSA - seems I recall they had someone pull out on them after they dropped NwSt for SMU.
GWU - another Lambuth victim?
NC A&T - St. Pauls dropped athletics
Tn Tech - not for lack of trying

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have been told that NC A & T didn't want to move a game and that TTU may add an 11th game - one of St. Paul College's previously scheduled D-II opponents.

That's good for TTU. I don't know what the issues are with B-CU and NCA&T moving the conference game, but it still seems weird to me that conference mates wouldn't help each other out. It seems like both would benefit. B-CU would absolutely benefit, it would give them a bye week after U Miami. And NCA&T would gain an 11 game schedule and a home game that they were counting on having! Unless NCA&T actually prefers two bye weeks over filling out their schedule, I can't see why this is so unsolvable.

Alcorn's situation is a bit of a head-scratcher as well, unless they feel like having a home game with TTU will lose them money. I can sort-of see why Alcorn might turn down a road game, that costs money. But a home game?

I think there is precedent with MEAC conference mates not willing to move games - Delaware State had to forfeit a game since they took a payday at Michigan instead of playing Norfolk State (I think). But this B-CU/NCA&T solution just moves the same NCA&T home game up two weeks. What's it to B-CU if they have to travel to NC on the weekend of 9/27 instead of 10/8?

TTUEagles
May 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM
The only thing I can think of regarding Alcorn, is maybe they didn't like where the game fit on their schedule, didn't like a non-conference game against a (in my opinion, for them) tough opponenet in the middle of the conference race.
I did actually e-mail someone at NC A &T and they said they "would look into it," which was after TTU's AD said they talked with NC A&T last week.

TN TECH
May 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hey TTUEagles, thanks for all of your info and effort on this. We really need another FCS opponent. Maybe we should put you in as AD!

TTUEagles
May 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hey TTUEagles, thanks for all of your info and effort on this. We really need another FCS opponent. Maybe we should put you in as AD!

Thanks. I think it will be another D-II opponent, Virginia Union possibly. And, I'll give TTU's AD credit, everything I emailed him (about checking into UTSA, Alcorn and NC A & T), he said he already knew about it and looked into it...

bojeta
May 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
TTU only has 10 games, but open dates are 10/8 and 10/22...AD said "we'll take anyone at this point"

I recall someone posting here or one of the other FCS forums about a team looking for one of those two dates. It wasn't TTU. I imagine if they're still available, they'll hook up. I'm sure the NCAA coaches have site they post openings on.

bojeta
May 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Our California state high school programs have a site to post openings on. I can't believe the NCAA wouldn't have the same thing.

WestCoastAggie
May 17th, 2011, 08:17 PM
That's good for TTU. I don't know what the issues are with B-CU and NCA&T moving the conference game, but it still seems weird to me that conference mates wouldn't help each other out. It seems like both would benefit. B-CU would absolutely benefit, it would give them a bye week after U Miami. And NCA&T would gain an 11 game schedule and a home game that they were counting on having! Unless NCA&T actually prefers two bye weeks over filling out their schedule, I can't see why this is so unsolvable.

Alcorn's situation is a bit of a head-scratcher as well, unless they feel like having a home game with TTU will lose them money. I can sort-of see why Alcorn might turn down a road game, that costs money. But a home game?

I think there is precedent with MEAC conference mates not willing to move games - Delaware State had to forfeit a game since they took a payday at Michigan instead of playing Norfolk State (I think). But this B-CU/NCA&T solution just moves the same NCA&T home game up two weeks. What's it to B-CU if they have to travel to NC on the weekend of 9/27 instead of 10/8?

1. To do this would mean that we open up the season against App. State. That's not really the best move for a program that is desperately needing a great start to help keep butts in the seats.

2. The MEAC front office will have to sign off on this move and just to let you know, they like to drag their feet up that way.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
1. To do this would mean that we open up the season against App. State. That's not really the best move for a program that is desperately needing a great start to help keep butts in the seats.

2. The MEAC front office will have to sign off on this move and just to let you know, they like to drag their feet up that way.

And you'd play 11 games in a row, which isn't ideal. But point well taken on opening with App State.