PDA

View Full Version : Washaun Ealey leaving UGA... GSU rumored as destination

blueballs
May 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
If he is willing to "do right," this could be a HUGE get for GSU, or where ever he lands.

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2011-05-09/running-back-ealey-leaving-georgia

GaSouthern
May 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
If Monken says he is good for the team then i'm for it, if not then no loss.

Interesting info on Ealy...

Ealey had a better per carry average at Georgia than Herschel Walker and the same td to rush ratio as Walker, 1 per 20.
Ealey won 100% of the games where Richt trusted him with 20+ carries.
Ealey saved Richt’s job in 09′ with a game against Tech, and again last season in a 5 td game against Kent.
Ealey outproduced Caleb King 5 to 1 in td’s last year, and was STILL rotated.
Ealey broke all of Herschel Walker’s records in High School, and beat Walker’s per carry average in college.
Ealey was one of 4 rb’s in the NCAA to score 11 td’s on 160 carries or less lastr seaosn, matching Moreno’s 14 to 1 run per td ratio..

professor8315
May 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM
If GSU is not a possibility, then Savannah State will take him in a heart beat!!

SpiritCymbal
May 10th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Rumor squashed almost as quickly as it surfaced!

http://dogbytesonline.com/georgia-southern-says-it-wont-talk-to-ealey-45419/

beanburrito
May 10th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Did Ga. Southern commit a secondary violation by commenting on a recruit? I didn't think schools could mention an unsigned -- which Ealey would technically be -- by name. I certainly could be wrong.

cmaxwellgsu
May 10th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Good for Monken. The only knock I really put on Hatcher was that he relied on transfers, and took a lot of trash from 1-A programs. Nice to see that mindset of "Do Right" back in the coach's office.

seantaylor
May 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Rumor squashed almost as quickly as it surfaced!

http://dogbytesonline.com/georgia-southern-says-it-wont-talk-to-ealey-45419/

Wasn't the exact same thing said when referring to Jaybo Shaw last spring? I don't take this to mean he isn't transferring here, I take it as we are just reinforcing we haven't spoken to him yet.

Tuscon
May 10th, 2011, 10:35 PM
“Georgia Southern has not been and will not be in conversation with Washaun Ealey,”

I'm pretty sure that's clear.

asumike83
May 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Appy players get arrested for felonies like assault and burglary, so he definitely wouldn't have fit in there.

In our defense, we are just trying to make sure that our top players are ready for ALL aspects of life in the NFL!

Seriously though, good job to GSU for passing on this kid. Ealey has stated numerous times that he wants to be THE premier back and not split carries. With an already strong running game and a completely different offensive system (that requires discipline which Ealey seems to be short on), he would have to share the load. I could definitely see potential problems with him, don't think Southern was a good fit. Definitely not short on talent though, I'm sure he will land somewhere and produce.

AppAlum2003
May 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Good job, GSU. Thanks for passing on a kid with questionable character. It really did seem that Hatcher was willing to take anybody - no matter what the circumstances.

Apphole
May 11th, 2011, 09:56 AM
He would fit right in at Elon. Plus they need him. They haven't had a running game in years.

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2011, 09:59 AM
He may not hold the record anymore, but I think Ealy is Georgia's (not the university, the state) all time leading rusher. Guy is a talented ball player, but he's been a veritable bust in Athens largely because he can't get his act together.

I don't think Georgia Southern needs this clown though I understand why their name came up given the "local kid" ties.

pike51
May 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM
He would fit right in at Elon. Plus they need him. They haven't had a running game in years.

I was thinking more like Western Carolina. Not alot of trouble to get into up there and they definately need all the help they can get.

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Good job, GSU. Thanks for passing on a kid with questionable character. It really did seem that Hatcher was willing to take anybody - no matter what the circumstances.

Hatcher was trying to take a triple option team and make them into an air raid team. He was taking on anyone that could throw the football or catch it. Can't say I blame him, though. Hard to rebuild a roster without taking on some folks as transfers.

gophoenix
May 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM
He would fit right in at Elon.

So, really, another App fan to bring up Elon. Nice!

He'd fit in, eh? You guys are the ones that not only let charged players play, but convicted ones too. No other school in the conference seems to do that.

Plus they need him. They haven't had a running game in years.

So smack too, without even looking at the numbers? Last year we had the 7th and 9th rushers in the conference.

Apphole
May 11th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Darn. I was hoping GP wouldn't read this thread because it wasn't about ASU moving up.

pike51
May 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Last year we had the 7th and 9th rushers in the conference.

Isn't that like being the smartest kid on the short bus? You must be so proud!

asumike83
May 11th, 2011, 10:21 AM
So smack too, without even looking at the numbers? Last year we had the 7th and 9th rushers in the conference.

You do realize there are only 9 teams IN the conference, right?

Apphole
May 11th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Ok let's nip it in the bud. No one wants to talk about Elon High and this fella can go on for days. So about Ealey....

phoenixphanatic21
May 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM
A. Good for GSU for passing on Ealey, as has been said by everyone before me.
B. IMO, Elon's running game is not as bad as people think, given that we've been a pass-first, second and third offense for so long. We may not be the best, but we have more talent than we are given credit for.
C. Here's hoping this doesn't become another crapfest between App, GSU and Elon.

pike51
May 11th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ok let's nip it in the bud. No one wants to talk about Elon High and this fella can go on for days. So about Ealey....

Perhaps the problem is nobody wants to talk about Ealey either. The guy is a cancer. I hope he is forced to go D2 or NAIA. Maybe Lambuth has.. wait, nevermind.

asumike83
May 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM
A. Good for GSU for passing on Ealey, as has been said by everyone before me.
B. IMO, Elon's running game is not as bad as people think, given that we've been a pass-first, second and third offense for so long. We may not be the best, but we have more talent than we are given credit for.
C. Here's hoping this doesn't become another crapfest between App, GSU and Elon.

B - I agree to an extent, it's just hard to tell sometimes with the pass-happy offenses. Is the back not able to showcase his talent because of the system or is his number not getting called because the coaches don't think he can get the job done? Not to say that you guys should add Ealey, but getting a talent like that at RB would do wonders to make your offense more balanced.

A & C -100% agreed

Catatonic
May 11th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Ealey brings a lot of baggage to any school willing to accept him. He has been in trouble in the classroom and off, resulting in numerous suspensions.

Ealey says he wants to be a "featured back" rather than sharing time with others, such as Caleb King. Trouble is, Ealey has sloppy practice habits and hates to block on passing plays. He also has a habit of fumbling. Most people at Georgia believe Ealey is leaving because he was likely to receive less playing time this fall as UGA star recruit Isaiah Crowell adjusts to the college game.

Good for GSU for passing on Ealey.

kdinva
May 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Perhaps the problem is nobody wants to talk about Ealey either. The guy is a cancer. I hope he is forced to go D2 or NAIA. Maybe Lambuth has.. wait, nevermind.
Liberty likes giving folks 2nd chances.......though they are 4-deep at the TB position.........make him a kickoff gunner..

gophoenix
May 11th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Taking kids like this does a number of things to a school....

Brings a lot of baggage
Kills morale on a team
Ruins the image of a school

Sure, I understand second chances. But I also understand perception is everything. Look at the Duke Lacrosse case for what public perception does.

SpiritCymbal
May 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Did Ga. Southern commit a secondary violation by commenting on a recruit? I didn't think schools could mention an unsigned -- which Ealey would technically be -- by name. I certainly could be wrong.

Pretty sure that saying that you haven't talked to someone isn't a violation. Admitting to talking to someone before they're enrolled is a violation however.

benchedpunter
May 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Don't think this is happening.