PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Scoreboard ADA Compliant?

DFW HOYA
May 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM
A lawsuit could have some say in the matter. (Then again, some I-AA stadia don't even have the ability to post messages...)

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/05/05/113707/hearing-impaired-kentucky-fan.html

GlassOnion
May 6th, 2011, 08:28 PM
A lawsuit could have some say in the matter. (Then again, some I-AA stadia don't even have the ability to post messages...)

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/05/05/113707/hearing-impaired-kentucky-fan.html

He has no leg to stand on. The Refs signal penalties, the sidelines have the down and distance. That is a minimum. If he needs a closer seat, Im sure they would have accomodated him.

DFW HOYA
May 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
He has no leg to stand on. The Refs signal penalties, the sidelines have the down and distance. That is a minimum. If he needs a closer seat, Im sure they would have accomodated him.

I'm afraid he does. He's not asking just for down and distance. Excerpt: "Mitchell wants captioning displayed for all announcements over the stadium's public address system, including all plays just after they occur, all penalties called, and safety and emergency information." That last bit of information may be the most compelling in a court.

In reality, I suspect many schools could post this information as a matter of course, esp. in I-A. At lower levels, however, the scoreboards aren't always equipped for messaging.

bojeta
May 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I'm afraid he does. He's not asking just for down and distance. Excerpt: "Mitchell wants captioning displayed for all announcements over the stadium's public address system, including all plays just after they occur, all penalties called, and safety and emergency information." That last bit of information may be the most compelling in a court.

In reality, I suspect many schools could post this information as a matter of course, esp. in I-A. At lower levels, however, the scoreboards aren't always equipped for messaging.

Don't like to see any fans left out, but as a matter of practicality, the university should agree to provide a sign language interpreter for the games he attends. Hell, they probably have a student worker that would love to earn a few extra bucks each week.

cmaxwellgsu
May 7th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I sympathize with anyone who has any disability, but this is garbage. If something doesn't meet your needs, then don't spend your money on it. This lawsuit only hurts the team he claims to support.

blaw0203
May 7th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I believe that accomodations should be made for the disabled when practical, but subtitles at a football game seems to be extreme. You really wont even be able to read them with the sun glaring and all. Plus that would be even more money out of schools athletic budgets to have to hire someone to type everything the announcer is saying.

Redhawk2010
May 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Heck, SEMO's scoreboard the last two years was lucky enough to have the score and time on it! It was worse than a high school scoreboard!

BEAR
May 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
What does the American Dental Association have to do with scoreboards? LOL

tribefan40
May 8th, 2011, 04:49 PM
The ADA is a hefty piece of legislation. Dude will get some if not all of his requests.

Wildcat80
May 8th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know of ANY stadium anywhere....NFL, FBS etc "accomodating" any such disability???

JSU02
May 8th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know of ANY stadium anywhere....NFL, FBS etc "accomodating" any such disability???
http://auburntigers.cstv.com/tigers-unlimited/ticketprioritymain-generalinfo.html

Hearing Impaired

A Telecommunications Device for the hearing impaired has been provided for your assistance. Contact the Auburn Ticket Office to make your request. TDD 1 (800) 446-0378 or locally 844-0340.

BEAR
May 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Ok. Seriously. The officials use sign language to show what penalties are called. The scoreboard shows down and distance. The only thing he might get is "emergency instructions" when they are needed. Otherwise, the game is optional, the necessities are provided and captions on a scoreboard suck.

DFW HOYA
May 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM

The software below seems to be moving in the NFL. Would courts require it in I-AA? Or Division II? Or III? Hard to say.

"As a service to our guests who are hearing impaired or visually impaired, Cowboys Stadium has been equipped with a highly advanced assistive listening system and mobile captioning device. The service provides real-time captions and assistive listening for all public address announcements, and it provides a choice of audio description in English and Spanish for the play by play action. The DURATEQ ATV handheld device is available for check out at all Guest Services Centers located on the concourse behind sections 219, 244, 420 & 451."

http://www.durateq.com/images/quad.captioning.jpg

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/guests/guestDisabilitiesInfo.cfm