PDA

View Full Version : Four Ready to Accept WAC Invite

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2011, 06:27 AM
FYI...

“We looked at a variety of different schools,” Hickey said. “There are groups of schools that are non-football, and some potential football.”

Benson recently told a Louisiana radio station that four schools were ready to accept invitations. Though he said that “sounds about right,” he wouldn't say if those were football-playing schools.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/UTSA-Beat-WAC-discussing-expansion-options-1368213.php#ixzz1LZRB1sBs

Possible schools that have been mentioned... football-variety.

Southland: Sam Houston State & Lamar
Big Sky: Eastern Washington, Northern Arizona, Montana, Montana State, UC-Davis, Cal Poly, Portland State

Non-football...

Great West: Utah Valley
Independent: Seattle, Cal State-Bakersfield
Southland: UT-Arlington

EdubAlum
May 6th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I'd be stunned if that included any big sky schools, but Portland State would be the most likely school on that list.

T-Dog
May 6th, 2011, 08:06 AM
My guesses are SHSU, Lamar, Seattle and Utah Valley.

However I'm only willing to bet on SHSU and Lamar.

ASUMountaineer
May 6th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Are these schools ready to move up in every aspect? I guess, as ready as they can be? No real big names there (given Montana's reluctancy). I am not trying to be negative, I honestly don't know. Perhaps some from the Southland part of the country could shed some light on if these schools are ready to make like the Jefferson's.

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Are these schools ready to move up in every aspect? I guess, as ready as they can be? No real big names there (given Montana's reluctancy). I am not trying to be negative, I honestly don't know. Perhaps some from the Southland part of the country could shed some light on if these schools are ready to make like the Jefferson's.

SHSU and Lamar are not ready financially while both schools need football facelifts.

SHSU and Lamar both plan to have $15M budgets by '13 - which would likely increase through some of the increased revenues available in FBS to $17M (if you had to ask me).

As far as football, Lamar's stadium barely meets the FBS minimums, but would need some more sprucing up while SHSU is building an 'Event Center' adjacent to the football stadium. Trying to figure out if that includes a club level viewing for the football stadium or not. SHSU has 'room to grow' with grassy berms on each side of the current seating with the availability of horse-shoeing the end zone or building a second tier of seating on the 'visitor side'.

CardAmbassador
May 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM
So LU's stadium needs sprucing up? Have you been there? Yes it would need to be expanded in a few years if we went FBS today but it is quite ready for the short term right now.

There is adequate room to make the stadium bigger, during the engineering for the current stadium it was said that 30k is feasible at the current location under the current configuration.

Last time I checked 16k > 15k too.

TheBisonator
May 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM
FYI...

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/UTSA-Beat-WAC-discussing-expansion-options-1368213.php#ixzz1LZRB1sBs

Possible schools that have been mentioned... football-variety.

Southland: Sam Houston State & Lamar
Big Sky: Eastern Washington, Northern Arizona, Montana, Montana State, UC-Davis, Cal Poly, Portland State

Non-football...

Great West: Utah Valley
Independent: Seattle, Cal State-Bakersfield
Southland: UT-Arlington

When the name "Eastern Washington" came up, I stopped reading.

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM
So LU's stadium needs sprucing up? Have you been there? Yes it would need to be expanded in a few years if we went FBS today but it is quite ready for the short term right now.

Think it needs more places to put fannies. Is there something wrong with that?

Last time I checked 16k > 15k too.

Even with 16k, it is not a feasible FBS stadium in order to attract the appropriate FBS opponents that would really drive revenue into Beaumont. Stadium needs at least 30k to bring in the Big 12 schools and perhaps even a school like Houston. See Idaho's OOC schedule as of late? Colorado State may be the most attractive OOC foe to come there in recent years!

93henfan
May 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
What the hell is Lamar?

DFW HOYA
May 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM
It's the Towson of East Texas.

93henfan
May 6th, 2011, 08:26 PM
OK, I know exactly what it is then. Thanks!

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM
This was the same "news source" that said last month that some combination of Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State, and North Texas were interested in joining the WAC. I don't think it's very reliable.

Did he say that? Thought he said the WAC was still attempting to go after that combination, never stated that the three would go.

Anyone that has a clue know that it is a side-step move, if that and that all three schools could tell you about the Big West that existed and the pros/cons associated with that, which would resonate again in the WAC.

JALMOND
May 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'd be stunned if that included any big sky schools, but Portland State would be the most likely school on that list.

If PSU is one, we are being very quiet about it. My guess is we are staying in the Sky. No word on the WAC whatsoever.

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM
If PSU is one, we are being very quiet about it. My guess is we are staying in the Sky. No word on the WAC whatsoever.

Think Portland State and some of the other Big Sky schools get mentioned a lot because the belief is Idaho, San Jose State continue to want more of a 'Western expansion' regardless of the ability of those schools to move to FBS right now...

It is like the continued mention of North Texas, Arkansas State and UL-Lafayette because the WAC still prays that they can get FBS schools instead of needing to add schools from FCS...

superman7515
May 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM
What the hell is Lamar?

http://apenotes.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/lamar1-1.jpg

citdog
May 7th, 2011, 09:16 PM
http://apenotes.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/lamar1-1.jpg

THAT'S LAMAR "MR. KLEAN" one HELL of a track star at Georgia Southern
http://topidol.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/565133905_l.jpg

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I didn't say that he suggested the three would go to the WAC. He said the three were interested in joining the WAC, and judging from what I've heard from other sources, while all schools may have listened out of respect, none of them are interested.

It'd be like walking off a cliff with the faith that you'll land on something soft and live.

What caught me as odd was the remarks that ULM had received an inquiry from the WAC. LOL! Even Benson denied that to other media outlets after the remark was made though ULM's fans are believing it to be accurate. La Tech would not of had it and ULM can barely afford FBS, let alone a far flung WAC.

JALMOND
May 8th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Think Portland State and some of the other Big Sky schools get mentioned a lot because the belief is Idaho, San Jose State continue to want more of a 'Western expansion' regardless of the ability of those schools to move to FBS right now...

It is like the continued mention of North Texas, Arkansas State and UL-Lafayette because the WAC still prays that they can get FBS schools instead of needing to add schools from FCS...

Talk of us going to the WAC gained a lot of steam the last year of Walsh's era and the first year of Glanville (06-07). Now, with PSU alum June Jones out of the WAC and the marquee Boise State and Fresno State matchups all past, the talk has been considerably quiet. With Pflugrad at Montana and Walsh's Cal Poly team coming in to the Big Sky next year, one could say there are more PSU ties to the Sky than the WAC now anyway.

bp44
May 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Im wondering if anyone of the wac schools completed their 2012 schedule or they waiting on the lamar invite ?

TexasTerror
May 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Im wondering if anyone of the wac schools completed their 2012 schedule or they waiting on the lamar invite ?

Doubt the schools would add Lamar to their schedule in '12 - they already have to count one FCS opponent as UTSA is a year behind at this point. Lamar or any football addition would likely not be in the league for football until '13. They could begin other sports a year earlier, if they make the invite before June 30.

Louisiana Tech and San Jose State have 10 games scheduled not including UTSA and Texas State. The two Texas schools would give La Tech and SJSU a completed 12-game schedule. Utah State, Idaho, and New Mexico State are all at eight games scheduled not counting UTSA and Texas State. Those schools are still looking for opponents in 2012.

Ugly schedule for La Tech...

9-8 @ Houston
9-15 Rice
9-22 @ Illinois
9-29 @ Virginia
10-6 UNLV
TBA @ Mississippi State

That's two home games and four away games out of conference. They add three home and three away in conference. Five home, seven away. Yuck!

Keeper
May 9th, 2011, 12:20 AM
other possible candidates may be current members of the Big West

bp44
May 9th, 2011, 12:42 AM
other possible candidates may be current members of the Big West

just read on this site that lamar will announce they are seeking a wac invite this week. can someone give some iput on thiis ?

SUUTbird
May 9th, 2011, 02:10 AM

Do you say that just because the Eagles beat you guys down on the red turf xthumbsupx? Just kidding, however I dont think the Eagles would be able to what with Washington State and Washington already in the FBS, anyone know if the state of Washington could even support a third FBS team?

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2011, 06:08 AM
just read on this site that lamar will announce they are seeking a wac invite this week. can someone give some iput on thiis ?

BobcatReport is teaming with Big Red Insider to chase down specifics, but that is the word - the school could be making their intentions for FBS even more public than before. That school is pretty tight-lipped, so if they are doing this - a WAC invite must be around the corner.

Will be curious to see if SHSU reacts or not at all.

TexasTerror
May 9th, 2011, 05:06 PM
BRI indicates Lamar has not gone public with FBS intentions because they were one vote shy of the votes needed to join the WAC... also indicate that a "a very reliable source that's directly involved with LU President Dr. Simmons" indicates Lamar will be ready for FBS in 2012 and that the schools would accept an invite, if offered. Also noted that the WAC was likely not extending an invite this year...

http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=334&catid=1

AZGrizFan
May 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Scoreboard, mother****er.

BearIt
May 9th, 2011, 08:16 PM
anyone know if the state of Washington could even support a third FBS team?

I would think so. I did a little google work and found that there are 18 states with 3 or more FBS teams and that Washington is ranked 13th in total population. That means that there are at least 5 states with less population and more FBS programs than Washington.

89Hen
May 10th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I would think so. I did a little google work and found that there are 18 states with 3 or more FBS teams and that Washington is ranked 13th in total population. That means that there are at least 5 states with less population and more FBS programs than Washington.

But I would also think it depends on the geography of the population of the state as well. Isn't EWU within an hour of WSU and pretty much nothing else?

Grizzaholic
May 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Check that sig, mother****er.

FIFY

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Article mentions UT-Arlington amongst other possibilities that Benson has explored...

Even though several expansion candidates have been bandied about in the media, Benson has tried to keep quiet about his potential targets. However, he did say that he's met with Seattle, Lamar, Utah Valley and Texas-Arlington among other unnamed schools. Each has already given the conference commissioner a presentation of what they bring to the conference and now it's up to the WAC's board to decide which members to accept.

If Seattle and Utah Valley are approved, they would join the conference as non-football members. Lamar does have a football program. Texas-Arlington has not had a football program since 1985, but there's been talk and even petitions to add the sport should the school join the WAC.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/WAC-will-announce-its-expansion-plan-on-June-14?urn=ncaaf-wp1371

DFW HOYA
May 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM
UTA still plays on the stage of its campus auditorium, Texas Hall. (Don't dive for the errant pass or you could end up in the orchestra pit...)

Perhaps the WAC invite is pending construction of its replacement.

Amazing that it's taken 30 years to get an arena when the school built a 17,000 seat football stadium in 1986 and promptly dropped the program a year later.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2709439712_04d8a9cb29.jpg

TheBisonator
May 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM

You've seen pictures of EWU's stadium, right??

Having super wacky turf alone will not qualify you to meet minimum FBS standards. EWU's stadium is not much different than Minnesota State-Moorhead's.

Maybe Humboldt State should be invited to the WAC too.

kalm
May 10th, 2011, 08:08 PM
But I would also think it depends on the geography of the population of the state as well. Isn't EWU within an hour of WSU and pretty much nothing else?

We're 90 minutes from Pullman and Moscow (U of Idaho) and 15 minutes from Spokane - the state's 2nd largest city with a metro population of around 500,000. That said, Spokane supports GU hoops, the WHL, and Arena league real well, but it's terrible in supporting college football - including WSU. I don't think we're a real threat for moving up and the few dozen people in our fanbase are content with winning National Championships and smiting the likes of NDSU with cowbells and Bill Fette's.

Twentysix
May 10th, 2011, 09:13 PM

3000 people to a playoff game that wasnt during thanksgiving... They could probably be the eastern michigan of washington..

BearIt
May 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM

I wasn't commenting about EWU specifically, just that Washington would have the population to support another FBS school. If you look solely at geographic location and population as the main criteria for FBS support EWU is in way better position than Montana or Montana State.

BearsCountry
May 10th, 2011, 10:19 PM
So the WAC will be:

West
Cal State Bakersfield
Idaho
San Jose State
Seattle
Utah State
Utah Valley

East
Denver
Lamar
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
Texas State
UTSA

Travel Partners
Idaho/Seattle
San Jose State/Cal State Bakersfield
Utah State/Utah Valley
Denver/New Mexico State
Texas State/UTSA
Louisiana Tech/Lamar

WAC didn't hit a home run but it looks like a viable conference.

Sec310
May 11th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Of the non football schools being mentioned, Bakersfield, Seattle, UT-Arlington, Utah Valley, any of them likely to add football in the next 5-7 years?

SUUTbird
May 11th, 2011, 03:08 AM
There has been some rumblings of Utah Valley wanting to Add a football program but that would make it the 4th FBS organization in Utah and the 6th school with football. UVU has a much better shot at creating either a D2 or FCS team in my opinion, not an FBS one. Seattle would have to compete with U-Dub and there is no way in hell they would be able to beat the Huskies out of that market. Arlington and Bakersfield I have no clue. The best bet for the WAC in order to survive and have a solid conference would have to get Cal Poly and the Montana's and let Louisiana Tech go into the C-USA or Sunbelt (I mention C-USA because I have heard that Houston may wanting to get into the Big 12). Really getting the Montana schools alone would be the best option but both have said they dont want to move up and I dont blame them. However If they did along with Cal Poly it really would solve the conferences problems as seen below:

WAC:
-Montana
-Montana State
-Utah State
-New Mexico State
-Idaho
-San Jose State
-Cal Poly
-Texas State
-UTSA

Makes 2 Schools in Montana, 2 in California, 2 in Texas, 1 in Utah, 1 in New Mexico and 1 in Idaho (If/when LA Tech leaves the WAC). Not to bad of a conference either as I am sure the Montana's and Cal Poly would quickly move up to FBS standards and I personally think could make an immediate impact in the WAC. xthumbsupx

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 11th, 2011, 05:59 AM
It's the Towson of East Texas.

Better get in your digs at Towson now because things are changing. I know the new AD and this guy will get things done there. He has already cut loose a bunch of non productive peple and broke ground on a $62 Million basketball arena. He also has great plans for the football stadium.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Another story... has quotes from SLC Commissioner Tom Burnett...

With two Southland schools already scheduled to depart for the WAC, and three others rumored to be in the mix (Lamar, Sam Houston, Texas-Arlington, along with a multitude of schools from other leagues and several independents), this has the potential to be a very tense month around that league. But you would never know that speaking to Southland Commissioner Tom Burnett.

“I’m not losing any sleep at night,” Burnett said on Tuesday. “None of our schools have given me any indication that they’re doing anything.”

http://www.sportsnola.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=572265&Itemid=578

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Latest from Jack of BobcatReport...

I have been told that the WAC is only going to add non-football schools at their June meeting in Utah. Realistically the only school that has any chance at joining us is Seattle University. They are close on the votes and have applied. Other schools mentioned like Valley and UTA will not have enough votes to garner acceptance.

So where does this leave us? I am led to believe that Lamar will indeed be the eighth football school but will not be on the ballot this year. The Cards will wait for an invite in 2012. Also look for Sam Houston to start trying for a transition in the next couple of years but probably at least a year behind Lamar's efforts. By then, if things go as anticipated, Lamar and Texas State will ally with UTSA, NM State, and LA Tech to bring them in.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1140&start=0

89Hen
May 11th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I wasn't commenting about EWU specifically, just that Washington would have the population to support another FBS school. If you look solely at geographic location and population as the main criteria for FBS support EWU is in way better position than Montana or Montana State.

I'm confused. You aren't talking about EWU, but you are talking about EWU.

Population is a not a very good determiner of success in FBS. How successful is Temple? They are the only FBS school within 30 miles of Philly and they are IN Philly. The fact that Montana already draws 4x as many fans as EWU tells you which would be better making the jump.

bojeta
May 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Of the non football schools being mentioned, Bakersfield, Seattle, UT-Arlington, Utah Valley, any of them likely to add football in the next 5-7 years?

There were some rumblings a while back about Bakersfield starting a football program. Bakersfield City College has an excellent stadium better than most FCS stadiums. It was built with oil money way back. The might be able to work out a deal to play there especially since most CC games are at night and BU could use it in the day. Might require replacing the existing field with artificial turf if it's currently grass (don't remember). That's a long term cost saver so shouldn't be hard to sell. Given the state of the economy, I doubt there's is much talk anymore unless the big oil companies are willing to step in again to make it happen.

AZGrizFan
May 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I'm confused. You aren't talking about EWU, but you are talking about EWU.

Population is a not a very good determiner of success in FBS. How successful is Temple? They are the only FBS school within 30 miles of Philly and they are IN Philly. The fact that Montana already draws 4x as many fans as EWU tells you which would be better making the jump.

Villanova's attendance will double to 2,000 per game when they jump to the Big Least...

bojeta
May 11th, 2011, 01:18 PM
There were some rumblings a while back about Bakersfield starting a football program. Bakersfield City College has an excellent stadium better than most FCS stadiums. It was built with oil money way back. The might be able to work out a deal to play there especially since most CC games are at night and BU could use it in the day. Might require replacing the existing field with artificial turf if it's currently grass (don't remember). That's a long term cost saver so shouldn't be hard to sell. Given the state of the economy, I doubt there's is much talk anymore unless the big oil companies are willing to step in again to make it happen.

Found a couple of pics and capacity info for Bakersfield College Memorial Stadium. Capacity = 20,000 as is with expandability to more than 40,000 I would guess.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/stock-photo-interior-view-of-memorial-stadium-bakersfield-community-college-california-17074210.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/BCstad2.jpg

89Hen
May 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Villanova's attendance will double to 2,000 per game when they jump to the Big Least...

When's that?

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2011, 01:55 PM
UPDATE from the Beaumont Enterprise (http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/05/11/wac-commissioner-lamar-not-in-2012-expansion-plans/)...

Asked pointedly if Lamar is being considered for the 2012 season, Benson said “Lamar University is not under consideration for WAC membership for 2012.”

Benson added that neither Sam Houston State nor UT-Arlington, other speculated WAC targets, is under WAC consideration for 2012. Lamar, Sam Houston and UTA are Southland Conference members. Benson declined to address the status of non-Southland schools possibly under consideration for expansion.

The WAC is expected to finalize its 2012 expansion plans during a board of directors meeting June 13-14.

This is a great thing, if you ask me...

One, it stops all the discussion about SHSU, Lamar, UT-Arlington and whomever from the Southland to the WAC. I'm a big 'nut' when it comes to following college realignment, but there is now no reason to follow hundreds of news blips every day.

Secondly, it allows SHSU and Lamar not to rush to make a move to FBS in a time frame not conducive to either institution - if that is the direction that one or both schools is interested in. These schools both have athletic, infrastructure and financial goals that they would like to obtain. Our AD has been upfront about reaching a budget number in 2013 with the addition of the 'Special Events Center'. Their athletic department desires adding softball and making upgrades to baseball, amongst other projects including the budget situation.

Good... good... good.

Sec310
May 11th, 2011, 02:54 PM
UPDATE from the Beaumont Enterprise (http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/05/11/wac-commissioner-lamar-not-in-2012-expansion-plans/)...

This is a great thing, if you ask me...

One, it stops all the discussion about SHSU, Lamar, UT-Arlington and whomever from the Southland to the WAC. I'm a big 'nut' when it comes to following college realignment, but there is now no reason to follow hundreds of news blips every day.

Secondly, it allows SHSU and Lamar not to rush to make a move to FBS in a time frame not conducive to either institution - if that is the direction that one or both schools is interested in. These schools both have athletic, infrastructure and financial goals that they would like to obtain. Our AD has been upfront about reaching a budget number in 2013 with the addition of the 'Special Events Center'. Their athletic department desires adding softball and making upgrades to baseball, amongst other projects including the budget situation.

Good... good... good.

Could this be a case of, both the WAC & Lamar, protecting themselves? Much like when a coach says they aren't a candidate at another school, then a week later, they are named head coach at that school?

What if the WAC's membership committee went around Benson, and asked for materials from Lamar?

I wouldn't say this stops all talks about Southland schools going to the WAC for 2012 or beyond. Only and until the WAC invites schools and those schools accept the invitations, will we know if any Southland schools are going to the WAC.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Could this be a case of, both the WAC & Lamar, protecting themselves? Much like when a coach says they aren't a candidate at another school, then a week later, they are named head coach at that school?

What if the WAC's membership committee went around Benson, and asked for materials from Lamar?

I wouldn't say this stops all talks about Southland schools going to the WAC for 2012 or beyond. Only and until the WAC invites schools and those schools accept the invitations, will we know if any Southland schools are going to the WAC.

Several online sources including BobcatReport were indicating that a non-football invite was the only to happen (likely Seattle) and that the West/Northwest direction was preferred since the conference's alignment have shifted significantly 'eastward'.

I think giving this whole thing another year still protects them for being safe in '14 when they need additional football schools while allowing them to see if the Big Sky schools show any additional interest. One thing to note is that TXST, UTSA and Denver all get votes before long. The Texas schools apparently are big backers of more Texas schools (namely Lamar) and I bet La Tech would be in agreement with that, as would New Mexico State.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Actually, it doesn't end the discussion. Benson said that Lamar was not under consideration for expansion in 2012. He didn't say anything about 2014.

It quiets the discussion for the time being...

I think it'll still be a little murmur until June 30th passes and we're out of the clear. For all we know, the Big East could start another domino effect... but do think that SHSU + Lamar are going to be able to round the horses, get their ducks in a row and approach this on their timeline instead of the WAC.

I do not think either school would be ready until '14 anyway based on the information I've been told...

txstatebobcat
May 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
It quiets the discussion for the time being...

I think it'll still be a little murmur until June 30th passes and we're out of the clear. For all we know, the Big East could start another domino effect... but do think that SHSU + Lamar are going to be able to round the horses, get their ducks in a row and approach this on their timeline instead of the WAC.

I do not think either school would be ready until '14 anyway based on the information I've been told...

I know some Lamar fans are frustrated, but I really think that this is for the best. I personally like the idea of 4 Texas schools in the WAC since it would make travel very manageable allow us to keep playing SHSU. One can only look to the Sunbelt Florida schools as an example of what happens when you move up to fast to soon. TxSt wasn't planning on going FBS by 2012, but it doesn't feel rushed for us since we've been working on going FBS for the last 4-5 years. SHSU and Lamar on the other hand are no where near ready to make the move up. So giving either school till 2014 gives them some extra time to build the necessary support and facilities planning to make the move.
Besides, its not as if the WAC is going anywhere. The eastern schools (NMSU, LaTech, TxSt and UTSA) will demand equal an equal number of schools in the Southwest to the number of schools in the Northwest (Utah State, Idaho, SJSU and any three Big Sky schools). The only potential snag to this situation would be if UNT or ULL or any eastern Sunbelt team for that matter should join the WAC, but that is very doubtful. At least not in the next three years.

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
McCarney states that BobcatReport seems to have accurate information... that Seattle is likely to get an invite and for the time being, no FBS schools are interested in the WAC and no SLC or Big Sky schools are moving in that direction...

It’s been almost two weeks since the Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson laid out the latest expansion options for his athletic directors, and solid news is finally starting to trickle out.

Benson told the Beaumont Enterprise this week that neither Lamar, long rumored as a football-playing target, nor Sam Houston will be joining the WAC for the 2012-13 academic year, the deadline for which is July 1.

Citing an unnamed source, the San Jose Mercury News singled out Seattle University as being expected to receive “serious consideration” as a non-football member.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/05/significant-wac-expansion-will-probably-have-to-wait/

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I know some Lamar fans are frustrated, but I really think that this is for the best. I personally like the idea of 4 Texas schools in the WAC since it would make travel very manageable allow us to keep playing SHSU. One can only look to the Sunbelt Florida schools as an example of what happens when you move up to fast to soon. TxSt wasn't planning on going FBS by 2012, but it doesn't feel rushed for us since we've been working on going FBS for the last 4-5 years. SHSU and Lamar on the other hand are no where near ready to make the move up. So giving either school till 2014 gives them some extra time to build the necessary support and facilities planning to make the move.
Besides, its not as if the WAC is going anywhere. The eastern schools (NMSU, LaTech, TxSt and UTSA) will demand equal an equal number of schools in the Southwest to the number of schools in the Northwest (Utah State, Idaho, SJSU and any three Big Sky schools). The only potential snag to this situation would be if UNT or ULL or any eastern Sunbelt team for that matter should join the WAC, but that is very doubtful. At least not in the next three years.

The funny thing in all of this is that I have said that SHSU's hands would be forced to go FBS especially if Lamar joined TXST in going FBS... that is going to end up happening, if you ask me, but it will happen because ultimately, the WAC's hands are going to get forced.

The WAC schools in place want to add schools in the 'West' and 'Northwest'. Unfortunately, there are no options for that to occur. With that being the case, the WAC is going to have to add football schools - period. That means Lamar and SHSU will have their opportunity...

Gawd forbid C-USA or SBC have any movement (which would likely stem from Big East movement sans a Villanova move) and then the WAC could really have some problems...

txstatebobcat
May 13th, 2011, 10:22 PM
The funny thing in all of this is that I have said that SHSU's hands would be forced to go FBS especially if Lamar joined TXST in going FBS... that is going to end up happening, if you ask me, but it will happen because ultimately, the WAC's hands are going to get forced.

The WAC schools in place want to add schools in the 'West' and 'Northwest'. Unfortunately, there are no options for that to occur. With that being the case, the WAC is going to have to add football schools - period. That means Lamar and SHSU will have their opportunity...

Gawd forbid C-USA or SBC have any movement (which would likely stem from Big East movement sans a Villanova move) and then the WAC could really have some problems...

Movement from the the big east, cusa or sunbelt won't affect the WAC at all. Unless CUSA manages to steal away a MWC school or two which would make room for USU or SJSU. Its the only I can think of. In other Words the WAC is tapped out for the foreseeable future.

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Movement from the the big east, cusa or sunbelt won't affect the WAC at all. Unless CUSA manages to steal away a MWC school or two which would make room for USU or SJSU. Its the only I can think of. In other Words the WAC is tapped out for the foreseeable future.

If the Big East takes a C-USA institution (or two), there will be repercussions on the Sun Belt and WAC - the two likely targets for C-USA expansion. There are rumors out there that the Big East would likely take a Houston, East Carolina, Memphis or Central Florida.

We all know that La Tech wants into C-USA and if a spot became available, the Techsters could be competing with North Texas, South Alabama, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee and perhaps the Florida schools (they are not that attractive - but they are in Florida) for a spot in C-USA. If La Tech leaves the WAC, could be intriguing!

DG Cowboy
May 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Why would La Tech be happy with Lamar and SHSU joining the WAC? They and UL-L have always been elitist in attitude, and left the old Gulf States Conference to rise above the Southland Conference level. The SLC is, after all, a combination of 60's Lone Star Conference and Gulf States Conference schools, plus UCA.

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Why would La Tech be happy with Lamar and SHSU joining the WAC? They and UL-L have always been elitist in attitude, and left the old Gulf States Conference to rise above the Southland Conference level. The SLC is, after all, a combination of 60's Lone Star Conference and Gulf States Conference schools, plus UCA.

I do not think the people at La Tech are too thrilled about UTSA and TXST joining the WAC. They were just the "option of last resort" and with the further changes made to the league when Hawaii left and the possibility of others leaving, La Tech is swallowing their pride because they would much rather add Southland Conference schools than crawl back to the Sun Belt...

Still believe La Tech is further down the pecking order for a C-USA invite than Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, South Alabama and perhaps North Texas. The funding models are much better at those other schools and they have all made significant strides in upgrading their facilities. La Tech's sports have fallen on hard times and I do not see it improving much - outside of beating up on a poorer WAC - based on the situation.

Red & Black
May 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Why? EWU is located in an area of half a million people and put a great product on the field. Attendance isn't great, but the market for FCS football just isn't that big in the middle of Pac-10 land so I doubt we'll ever get above averaging 10k playing in the Big Sky. I honestly doubt that there's any real interest in moving up at the moment, but if you factor in all the considerations and not just the on campus stadium or bad attendance of a playoff game EWU is actually in a better position than many if they ever decided they wanted to pursue such a thing. As far as facilities, EWU played at Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane (27k) for a large part of the 80's and 90's before moving games back onto campus. This is probably part of the reason Roos Field was neglected for so long. It wasn't being used.

X-Factor
May 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Why? EWU is located in an area of half a million people and put a great product on the field. Attendance isn't great, but the market for FCS football just isn't that big in the middle of Pac-10 land so I doubt we'll ever get above averaging 10k playing in the Big Sky. I honestly doubt that there's any real interest in moving up at the moment, but if you factor in all the considerations and not just the on campus stadium or bad attendance of a playoff game EWU is actually in a better position than many if they ever decided they wanted to pursue such a thing. As far as facilities, EWU played at Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane (27k) for a large part of the 80's and 90's before moving games back onto campus. This is probably part of the reason Roos Field was neglected for so long. It wasn't being used.

It doesn't matter how many people live in your area, you don't have fan support. That is why. Nobody wants to see an EWU game. Last fall I was walking around downtown Cheney (absolutely dead except for Bison fans) prior to the game and was stopped by 4 separate local residents that each proceeded to tell me how much they wanted us to beat EWU. It was kinda odd to tell you the truth. Maybe that was just coincidence, but I think it says something. It seems most people are fans of Washington State or UW. So, you can play your games in Spokane. Great, that is 17 miles away. Good luck getting any college students to show up.

I think realistically, there are maybe only a small handful of programs that have all of the tools in place to make a successful transition to FBS. One of them being Montana, which doesn't appear like it wants to. EWU just won a national title and is playing great football, why take the risk of a WKU'esque epic collapse?

Red & Black
May 17th, 2011, 03:27 AM
It doesn't matter how many people live in your area, you don't have fan support. That is why. Nobody wants to see an EWU game. Last fall I was walking around downtown Cheney (absolutely dead except for Bison fans) prior to the game and was stopped by 4 separate local residents that each proceeded to tell me how much they wanted us to beat EWU. It was kinda odd to tell you the truth. Maybe that was just coincidence, but I think it says something. It seems most people are fans of Washington State or UW. So, you can play your games in Spokane. Great, that is 17 miles away. Good luck getting any college students to show up.

I think realistically, there are maybe only a small handful of programs that have all of the tools in place to make a successful transition to FBS. One of them being Montana, which doesn't appear like it wants to. EWU just won a national title and is playing great football, why take the risk of a WKU'esque epic collapse?

That game was played when school wasn't isn't in session. Cheney is completely dead when school isn't in session. I understand where you're coming from, but the atmosphere you were exposed to wasn't really indicative of what it's like there when school is in.

As far as the "locals" you ran into......yeah, um sure. Haters gunna hate, I suppose.

PurpleOut
May 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
hi guyz can we comez too?!?!

Kidding obviously.

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Jack on BobcatReport is indicating that there are more schools - as many as 10 - under consideration by the WAC. They meet this week and any school would need 3/4th of vote to be brought in.

Keep in mind that TXST, UTSA and Denver can give input, but not vote.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1407

GeauxLions94
June 8th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Sorry TT, but

xdeadhorsex

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Sorry TT, but

xdeadhorsex

The WAC is meeting this week - it is a little noteworthy, right?

I've been trying to avoid posting anything as it relates to the WAC as there have been a fair share of talking points - but the meeting is this week, so perhaps we can stop beating down those horses!

Sec310
June 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM
The WAC is meeting this week - it is a little noteworthy, right?

I've been trying to avoid posting anything as it relates to the WAC as there have been a fair share of talking points - but the meeting is this week, so perhaps we can stop beating down those horses!

Yes, just like the WAC had meetings back in March and invitations were suppose to go out in April.

It's clear, no FBS schools will be invited and no FCS schools, except Lamar, will accept a WAC invitation. Davis, Cal Poly, and Montana, all have open invitations to the WAC, if they ever decide to move up. Same story as before.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2011, 02:41 PM
It's clear, no FBS schools will be invited and no FCS schools, except Lamar, will accept a WAC invitation. Davis, Cal Poly, and Montana, all have open invitations to the WAC, if they ever decide to move up. Same story as before.

SHSU would if an invite was extended... particularly if Lamar also has one.

msusig
June 10th, 2011, 09:19 AM
The WAC is doomed. It is spread out too much and needs to become more of a regional conference. Or the Sun Belt needs to do a preemptive strike against the WAC by taking the Texas schools and Louisiana Tech, then create divisions. The MWC can take a couple of the remaining schools and leave the rest to go independent.

darell1976
June 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM
The WAC looks like another FCS conference

RabidRabbit
June 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
The WAC looks like another FCS conference xlolxxlolx

There's a reason that the Big Sky goobled up the GWFC. BIG SKY = Mountain West, but at FCS level.

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM
UVU has rec'd an invite to present to the WAC this week...

On Sunday, The Salt Lake Tribune learned that Holland has received an invite for the second time, and will be on-hand to present UVU’s case for a jump to the WAC.

“It’s an encouraging sign for sure,” Utah Valley Athletic Director Michael Jacobsen said. “It’s a chance for us to make a case and a chance to be in the room.”

The WAC visited UVU in late April, at which time an invitation for Holland was extended. Then, Holland was uninvited, which touched off speculation that Utah State was the school standing in UVU’s way of inclusion.

Now, with the re-invite, there is once again optimism surrounding the campus in Orem.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/51992019-77/wac-utah-uvu-valley.html.csp?utm_source=twitterfeed

NoCoDanny
June 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'd think they'd want Seattle before UVU, heck UVU was a JC like 8 years ago.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM
If you have a pulse, the WAC is interested.

bojeta
June 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Latest ESPN article is still talking about Montana, Montana State, Sac State and Cal Poly among others as possible WAC additions for football. Don't know why UC Davis was not mentioned as I'm sure a move by Sac and/or Cal Poly without Davis is next to impossible. Not that I'm suggesting there is ANY validity to ANY discussion regarding ANY of these schools. They're just not interested. Big Sky just makes way too much sense!

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/42990/non-aq-weekend-roundup

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Latest ESPN article is still talking about Montana, Montana State, Sac State and Cal Poly among others as possible WAC additions for football. Don't know why UC Davis was not mentioned as I'm sure a move by Sac and/or Cal Poly without Davis is next to impossible. Not that I'm suggesting there is ANY validity to ANY discussion regarding ANY of these schools. They're just not interested. Big Sky just makes way too much sense!

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/42990/non-aq-weekend-roundup

ESPN does not say this... they are quoting another news outlet, which is what ESPN does a lot with these 'roundups' and 'lunchtime links'. I'm a big fan nonetheless because it gives me a chance to catch lots of articles about a subject I am interested in.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Several outlets reporting Seattle...

Seattle University has been invited to join the Western Athletic Conference, two media outlets are reporting.

The Salt Lake Tribune and BobcatReport.com each reported Tuesday morning that Seattle U. had been extended an invitation during the conference's Board of Director meetings, taking place this week in Park City, Utah.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seattleuniversity/2015316570_seattleu15.html

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
WAC members continue to complain about expansion - an article from Yahoo! Sports...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/WAC-members-continue-to-complain-about-lack-of-?urn=ncaaf-wp2677#remaining-content

Hammerhead
June 17th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Portland State has a newly-refurbished stadium, but I'm not sure they have the fan base to move up to FBS. The Pac-10 (or is it Pac-12 now?) overshadow PSU and EWU.

SF State Gaters
July 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM
A lot going on here, as the WAC is really in rough shape. Bringing in Denver and Seattle are nice because they are Denver and Seattle, not "Seattle State" or "University of Colorado-Denver" like the other adds. That said U-Dub is in freaking seattle, and Boulder is basically in denver.

But neither of these guys play football! that's horrible. They need football-playing additions!

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2011, 06:10 AM
They are likely to add Lamar in lieu of none of the Big Sky teams or Sun Belt teams showing any interest... if those schools continue to show no interest, they would likely also add Sam Houston State a little further down... or if they can commit to adding football, UT-Arlington.

bp44
July 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Im hearing that Lamar will get a Wac invite this month, is there any truth to this ???

SF State Gaters
July 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Im hearing that Lamar will get a Wac invite this month, is there any truth to this ???

Lamar's name has been tossed about around WACland as much as any other because they have football, have a stadium expansion plan, are in the Central Time Zone, and are the closest to be ready to go to FCS -- that is, their administration is more interested in making the commitments to being FCS in the near-term than is any other school in the Pacific, Mountain, or Central Time Zone. If it doesn't happen in a month it won't be much longer thereafter, IMO. The WAC has essentially no choice and it'll be largely up to Lamar how fast they can get together the very minimum stipulated by the NCAA

bp44
July 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I think FCS is dying a slow death, just hope Lamar and possible Sam Houston get the invite which would mean division play.

bojeta
July 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I think FCS is dying a slow death, just hope Lamar and possible Sam Houston get the invite which would mean division play.

What a great position the 2012 Big Sky schools find themselves in. If what you say is true, the entire Big Sky is poised to move as a conference to the FBS level. When Cal Poly finishes their renovations they'll be somewhere between 25k and 30k capacity. UC Davis has built a stadium that's ideal for expansion. That would put around 8 of the schools in the 20K plus capacity almost immediately. To me, it looks more and more like the Big Sky will replace the WAC as the premiere western FBS conference. UTSA and Tex State would probably want to jump ship along with San Jose, Utah, Utah State. Ya, ya, ya.... I haven't thought it all through lol.... Just day dreaming a bit :)

ursus arctos horribilis
July 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM

What? That must be why so many FCS schools are turning down the opportunity? FCS revenues and bottom lines are up by a greater margin than FBS from what I read a while back so I'm not sure you are making a solid point there.

The BCS conferences will still do more harm to the FBS schools in the near future if the have their way but there is not a whole lot they can do to the FCS schools.

bp44
July 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I heard rumors of the Big Sky Conference mmoving up as an group which would mean the Wac will probally split, one such being a move toward the Southwest

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2011, 06:57 AM
BobcatReport is giving inclination that the Montana schools may be more willing to move to the WAC...

CopperCat
July 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM
TT, until I hear it from the AD or the university president, it's just more garbage speculation. I'm beginning to think you're an AGS propagandist who is working for the WAC is some capacity.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM
TT, until I hear it from the AD or the university president, it's just more garbage speculation. I'm beginning to think you're an AGS propagandist who is working for the WAC is some capacity.

I do not believe the Montana(s) to the WAC either...

I'm more curious than anything because what happens with Lamar and the WAC will have immediate consequences on SHSU as it relates to our future.

aust42
July 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Prediction: The WAC for football won't even exist within the next couple two/three years. Not trying to talk trash but the WAC will be absolutely horrible next year and even substantially worse than the Sunbelch. Utah State, San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, Idaho and New Mexico State are the only remaining members and their football programs are horrible. Then their adding Texas State who was never very competetive in 1AA and Texas San Antonio who has never even had a football team? Wow

superman7515
July 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I heard rumors of the Big Sky Conference mmoving up as an group which would mean the Wac will probally split, one such being a move toward the Southwest

Except for that whole being against the NCAA rules problem...

Sly Fox
July 7th, 2011, 10:36 AM
... until you consider legal challenges. The NCAA is in no position to stop any such move.

bojeta
July 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Except for that whole being against the NCAA rules problem...

Someone here will look up the exact rules I'm sure, but I'm going to just go off my best recollection. I believe the process is a request by the conference, followed by a formal invitation from the FBS and then a probationary period. If the WAC actually deteriorated to that point, I think the FBS would be very interested in the Big Sky as a replacement. Really doesn't matter to me. I love the Big Sky as an FCS conference. If they ever do go FBS, I won't be upset about that either. I just want to see these teams continue playing football!!!

bp44
July 7th, 2011, 05:05 PM
If Lamar is a lock for the 2013 season, why postpond the invite until next year. The sooner the Wac add schools they would be stable if and when one or more schools decide to exit.

YouCanUseaMint
July 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
The WAC isn't going anywhere.

Here's my prediction. The Montana schools, along with Lamar, will be added in the next wave of expansion and divisional play will be created in the Western Athletic Conference.

xnodx

bp44
July 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
The WAC isn't going anywhere.

Here's my prediction. The Montana schools, along with Lamar, will be added in the next wave of expansion and divisional play will be created in the Western Athletic Conference.

xnodx I agree, I expect this invite to come later on this year. If La Tech bolts, then what school will be available to replace them. Sam Houston ?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 7th, 2011, 08:16 PM
What could the possible benefit be for the Montana schools to go to the current WAC? That move would make me absolutely sick to my stomach. Going into the FBS would be bad enough if it were a middlin' conference but going into the undoubtedly worst one out there?

I wish the WAC would fold and we could be done with this talk.

bp44
July 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM
What could the possible benefit be for the Montana schools to go to the current WAC? That move would make me absolutely sick to my stomach. Going into the FBS would be bad enough if it were a middlin' conference but going into the undoubtedly worst one out there?

I wish the WAC would fold and we could be done with this talk. Montana has been very successful at the FCS level. Just wondering how well they will do at the next level Im sure they can and will compete. I will be keeping an eye on their game with Tennessee this year.

W.DeMontague
July 7th, 2011, 09:19 PM
If La Tech bolts, then what school will be available to replace them. Sam Houston ?

Where would La Tech go? I don't think Conference USA is interested in them. Sun Belt? They'd probably consider that a step down from the WAC, although it does make more sense economically and travel wise.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 7th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Montana has been very successful at the FCS level. Just wondering how well they will do at the next level Im sure they can and will compete. I will be keeping an eye on their game with Tennessee this year.

Considering the limits of the scholarships vs. FBS I think we are 6-6 in our last 12 games with FBS and have a run of four straight over Idaho so I don't really have any questions I need answered in FBS since we'll never have the chance to compete at the top of that division.

I'm not sure that game against Tennessee is gonna be a barn burner but I hope it's a competitive first half. I'd feel better about it if we had a QB that had some game experience and showed he could run this offense but we do not yet and probably won't have it by the first game.

FBS outside of the BCS is not really what I would consider the next level. It's the same level with a few more schollies to support. The WAC is most definitely not "next level" no matter what at this point. I will bet that in spite of the lower budgets and fewer scholarships the BSC is gonna be higher ranked than the WAC.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2011, 05:41 AM
If Lamar is a lock for the 2013 season, why postpond the invite until next year. The sooner the Wac add schools they would be stable if and when one or more schools decide to exit.

The WAC can wait until June 30, 2012 to make any decisions. They would prefer FBS teams over FCS teams... they can wait to see how the dominoes fall around FBS. I'm still not convinced the Montanas will make the jump to the WAC. There simply is no benefit for them to do so...

ThompsonThe
July 8th, 2011, 05:51 AM
The WAC can wait until June 30, 2012 to make any decisions. They would prefer FBS teams over FCS teams... they can wait to see how the dominoes fall around FBS. I'm still not convinced the Montanas will make the jump to the WAC. There simply is no benefit for them to do so...

Would Sam Houston go to the WAC if they asked next year?
Chances are the WAC will survive. Seems NCAA is making sure they do.
I understand 1/2 of the Big Sky has turned them down. Did they ask Sam Houston informally already, believe I heard they did.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Would Sam Houston go to the WAC if they asked next year?
Chances are the WAC will survive. Seems NCAA is making sure they do.
I understand 1/2 of the Big Sky has turned them down. Did they ask Sam Houston informally already, believe I heard they did.

If Lamar went to the WAC... and Sam Houston State was invited as well, the school would accept.

I have said this time and time again, Sam Houston State wants to go FBS at some point - but we'll be forced into a bit early if Lamar goes to the WAC and we can get an invite. Again - can we afford to go FBS? Not presently. Can we afford to pass up the opportunity? Of course not.

SHSU is a few years away from being ready, but perhaps an invite will kick it up!

DG Cowboy
July 8th, 2011, 01:58 PM
So for Sam, this would be a "build it and they will come with the money" deal? You say you can't afford to go, but would, counting on an alumni surge of interest to cover the extra expenses? Are UTSA, Texas State, and Lamar doing it that way, or do they have the funding solidly lined up? Would attendance at games go up enough to help much? If so, will full attendance at current facilities be enough, or would you then need to pay to expand the stadium and coliseum? Is beating Denver, Idaho and NMSU going to fire up your students as much as SFA, NW St, and McNeese?
May be a "leap of faith', but I hope Sam is successful.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
So for Sam, this would be a "build it and they will come with the money" deal? You say you can't afford to go, but would, counting on an alumni surge of interest to cover the extra expenses?

The way the student athletic fee works and the way enrollment is going... our AD has accounted for a $15M budget in the next 2-3 years. I have reiterated that facility-wise, we are comparable - outside of football and soccer facilities.

Are UTSA, Texas State, and Lamar doing it that way, or do they have the funding solidly lined up? Would attendance at games go up enough to help much? If so, will full attendance at current facilities be enough, or would you then need to pay to expand the stadium and coliseum? Is beating Denver, Idaho and NMSU going to fire up your students as much as SFA, NW St, and McNeese? May be a "leap of faith', but I hope Sam is successful.

Attendance is a concern... no question, but a large part of that problem was a long disconnect with alumni and the community. The tide has turned. The success of the game in Houston against SFA was very good. Alumni giving is up and hopefully this new generation of fans will be more supportive. Prior to the downfall under Todd Whitten, we were getting 9000 fans in football on a routine basis. If Fritz can build a winner, we can get there and beyond that. Let's remember that until TXST went to the semifinals, they were playing before crowds reminisicent of a YMCA game.

Will SHSU fans get fired up about the WAC schools you mentioned? Not exactly. Our fans took a survey and view us on an equal playing field with schools with similar enrollments and geography (i.e. North Texas). Our fans would miss SFA, but Lamar and TXST are in our TSUS System and UTSA is a school we've had ties to.

And quite honestly, our students are pumped to beat San Marcos, SFA and Lamar... that is where their friends go to school. If two of those schools are in the WAC, we are better off going there.

polsongrizz
July 9th, 2011, 01:33 AM
F&*K the wac and the fbs...

BearsCountry
July 9th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Looks like it might be a different Southland team that gets the WAC invite. Texas-Arlington is rumored to be number 10.

Travel Partners
Texas-Arlington/Louisiana Tech
Texas State/UTSA
New Mexico St/Denver
Utah State/San Jose State
Seattle/Idaho

T-Dog
July 9th, 2011, 04:58 AM
It's more than rumor. UT-Arlington Board of Regents have added a move to the WAC to their itinerary at next Thursday's meeting so it's pretty much official. Also, they'll be adding football in 2016.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Word is that the WAC invited UT-Arlington because they have the Montana schools committed to coming - with likely announcement at end of this coming season...

NEW WAC

WEST
Montana/Montana State
Idaho/Seattle
San Jose State/Utah State

EAST
UT-Arlington/La Tech
UTSA/TXST
New Mexico St/Denver

Looks like it might be a different Southland team that gets the WAC invite. Texas-Arlington is rumored to be number 10.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?86632-UT-Arlington-Joins-the-WAC

bojeta
July 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Problem with this West/East is that only 5 schools in the West have football and only 3 in the East have football

Word is that the WAC invited UT-Arlington because they have the Montana schools committed to coming - with likely announcement at end of this coming season...

NEW WAC

WEST
Montana/Montana State
Idaho/Seattle

EAST
UT-Arlington/La Tech
UTSA/TXST
New Mexico St/Denver

Sly Fox
July 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
By the time this would happen, 4 in the east would have football. For the record, I'll bet they refer to it as their Southwest Division.

Redbirdz
July 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Maybe the WAC should form an Eastern Division with La Tech, Appalachian, Jacksonville State and Georgia State, allowing for some good game guarantees with other BCS schools and several cross country conference trips.

Sly Fox
July 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Benson has shown ZERO interest in any of that creative thinking to this point. He has steadfastly resisted any discussions with schools east of the Mississippi.

msusig
July 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM

NEW WAC

WEST
Montana/Montana State
Idaho/Seattle

EAST
UT-Arlington/La Tech
UTSA/TXST
New Mexico St/Denver

If that's the new WAC, I'd rather be in the Southland or even the Sun Belt if Lamar and Sam Houston were invited to the WAC.

Grizzaholic
July 10th, 2011, 11:18 PM
NEW WAC

WEST
Montana/Montana State
Idaho/Seattle

EAST
UT-Arlington/La Tech
UTSA/TXST
New Mexico St/Denver

WOW TT. Sure looks like the WAC is a really big jump UP. For ****'S SAKE.

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I have a hard time seeing how anyone in the Big Sky could be in any better position in the WAC. The Big Sky is, top to bottom, proximate to if not superior to the WAC in many respects, perhaps most particularly outside of football. I have a hard time seeing how the allure of the WAC is sufficient to tempt any Big Sky member, perhaps least of all the new additions who fit nicely with the Western population and nicely even out the conference

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I have a hard time seeing how anyone in the Big Sky could be in any better position in the WAC. The Big Sky is, top to bottom, proximate to if not superior to the WAC in many respects, perhaps most particularly outside of football. I have a hard time seeing how the allure of the WAC is sufficient to tempt any Big Sky member, perhaps least of all the new additions who fit nicely with the Western population and nicely even out the conference

The WAC has some geographic issues to work out. The travel for any Big Sky member that would move to the WAC would be pretty prohibitive with the increased concentration in Louisiana and Texas more so than Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California.

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 06:22 AM
The WAC has some geographic issues to work out. The travel for any Big Sky member that would move to the WAC would be pretty prohibitive with the increased concentration in Louisiana and Texas more so than Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California.

Right, and just the opposite would be true for any WAC5 member transitioning to the Big Sky (save perhaps Louisiana Tech). The reticence on the part of San Jose State, Utah State, Idaho, and New Mexico State to consider a move to the Big Sky is rather irksome. FBS members who have performed as poorly at that level as these schools have done for as long as they have done ought not to view FCS with the pronounced stigma that they do

appfan2008
August 30th, 2011, 06:26 AM

The allure comes from the money making sport and playing at the highest level... yes it may cost more for traveling but it is at the top level of football... regardless of the conference level...

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM
The allure comes from the money making sport and playing at the highest level... yes it may cost more for traveling but it is at the top level of football... regardless of the conference level...

It's such a dangerous game to play, and it is what killed football at places like Long Beach State and CSU Fullerton- playing at Alabama, at Tennessee, at Georgia, for money games. SJSU has been playing that way for some time now, and only recently have gotten up to the full 85 allotment. I think there is an argument to me made for the advantage of being at a level where you are highly competitive instead of one where you are lucky to get to .500

aust42
August 30th, 2011, 07:17 AM

Once Hawaii and Nevada officially leave the WAC, and are replaced by a non-competetive 1AA team and a school that has never even sponsored football before, the WAC will be the lowest ranked 1A conference, even below the Sun Belch and most likely rated below three or four 1AA conferences. How is that "the top level of football"?

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Once Hawaii and Nevada officially leave the WAC, and are replaced by a non-competetive 1AA team and a school that has never even sponsored football before, the WAC will be the lowest ranked 1A conference, even below the Sun Belch and most likely rated below three or four 1AA conferences. How is that "the top level of football"?

UTSA and Texas State are going to do what they can to make something out of it, and La Tech will be strong. That said, in 2012 it is a conference with Utah State, San Jose State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, Texas-San Antonio, and Texas State. Not really threatening anyone.

Still, their conference champion will go to some kind of bowl, they will play some assortment of other FBS teams, i don't know, they'll try really hard i guess

aust42
August 30th, 2011, 09:22 AM
UTSA and Texas State are going to do what they can to make something out of it, and La Tech will be strong. That said, in 2012 it is a conference with Utah State, San Jose State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, Texas-San Antonio, and Texas State. Not really threatening anyone.

Still, their conference champion will go to some kind of bowl, they will play some assortment of other FBS teams, i don't know, they'll try really hard i guess

I'm not trying to trash the WAC but really, there might be some D-2 Conferences that are more competetive in 2012. There are some very poor football programs that are left over in the WAC. La Tech has had three winning season's the past decade, Idaho one, San Jose St two & New Mexico & Utah have had zero winning seasons since 2000. Now their adding an average 1AA Texas State team and a TX-San Antonio who has never even sponsored football. Whatever bowl game the WAC champ plays in will most likely play a fourth place team out of some other conference. They certainly won't get a second team invited to a bowl. There probably won't be any teams in the WAC that will have > .500 record.

alvinkayak6
August 30th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm not trying to trash the WAC but really, there might be some D-2 Conferences that are more competetive in 2012.

Wow.xeyebrowx

I definitely see Nevada & Hawaii going to bowl games. I'd place a bet on it for sure.

centexguy
August 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I'm not trying to trash the WAC but really, there might be some D-2 Conferences that are more competetive in 2012. There are some very poor football programs that are left over in the WAC. La Tech has had three winning season's the past decade, Idaho one, San Jose St two & New Mexico & Utah have had zero winning seasons since 2000. Now their adding an average 1AA Texas State team and a TX-San Antonio who has never even sponsored football. Whatever bowl game the WAC champ plays in will most likely play a fourth place team out of some other conference. They certainly won't get a second team invited to a bowl. There probably won't be any teams in the WAC that will have > .500 record.

But however bad the conference will be in 2012 and whatever crappy bowl game the WAC participates in, the WAC will still get more media attention than any FCS conference and their bowl game will probably have higher ratings than the FCS championship game. That's why you see schools making the move to FBS, even to the WAC, and why you'll see more schools moving up in the future.

crossfire07
August 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM

They spend 100's of millions for decades to SAY they are in the top level of football but they can't compete at the top level.They sucked at the level below them. When a new division is formed to split the contenders from the pretenders like they did in the 70's, it will be a good day for college football. A look at this weeks lines shows how far the gap is from top to bottom at the top level of football. 30-40 points. Not really a competitive division is it?

aust42
August 30th, 2011, 12:30 PM
But however bad the conference will be in 2012 and whatever crappy bowl game the WAC participates in, the WAC will still get more media attention than any FCS conference and their bowl game will probably have higher ratings than the FCS championship game. That's why you see schools making the move to FBS, even to the WAC, and why you'll see more schools moving up in the future.

I disagree. The Sun Belch hardly get's any national media attention. The CAA has had a good deal of national media attention with their level of play the past few years. The WAC will have media attention but it won't be positive if they play as bad as I assume they will. And I'd like to see the "Crap Bowl" ratings when a 6-6 Champ out of the WAC plays a 6-6 fourth place team out of Conf USA. Only degenerate gamblers will be watching monitoring their bets.

aust42
August 30th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Wow.xeyebrowx

I definitely see Nevada & Hawaii going to bowl games. I'd place a bet on it for sure.

That's why I said the year 2012. Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno State are officially out of the WAC that year.

Sycamore51
August 30th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I wonder what percentage of the ratings for bottom level bowl games comes from bars that constantly have their tv on espn but nobody is actually watching?

GeauxLions94
August 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I disagree. The Sun Belch hardly get's any national media attention. The CAA has had a good deal of national media attention with their level of play the past few years. The WAC will have media attention but it won't be positive if they play as bad as I assume they will. And I'd like to see the "Crap Bowl" ratings when a 6-6 Champ out of the WAC plays a 6-6 fourth place team out of Conf USA. Only degenerate gamblers will be watching monitoring their bets.

They're going to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. Somewhere, Hayden Fox, Luther and Dauber are already working on a game plan to battle the "Smurf Turf." Can't wait to see what gifts the players will get: a bag of chips, a baked potato, a Supersize order of fries xrolleyesx

It's still being held at Boise State's Bronco Stadium, on the famous blue turf. It's still tied to the WAC and MAC. It'll still be on Saturday, December 17, at 5:30 EST. It's just a potato-themed bowl now

http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/potato-bowl-logo.jpeg

Humanatarian Bowl now the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31085720)

crossfire07
August 30th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I wonder what percentage of the ratings for bottom level bowl games comes from bars that constantly have their tv on espn but nobody is actually watching?

I imagine it is a lot since over 85,000 fewer people attended bowl games last season than the 09 season.