PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Mags start soon... Who will be #1?

smallcollegefbfan
May 5th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Just wanted to post and remind everyone that Lindy's, TSN/S&S, Phil Steele, Athlon, and others will be coming out soon.

I know that Lindy's and Athlon usually have FCS coverage while Phil Steele is doing a FCS only magazine this year. And Phil Steele ranks FCS players among the FBS players.

Looking forward to seeing who #1 will be. Any ideas? Any players you think will be or should be rated in the top 20-60 per position including all divisions? Will be interesting to see who from FCS makes the magazine. I looked at their rankings last year and everyone from FCS either won a major award, got drafted, or played in the Shrine Game or Senior Bowl. That could be a good omen for whoever is rated by Steele and is something I will be looking at again this year.

Tribe4SF
May 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
EWU will likely be everyone's #1, with Georgia Southern, App State, W&M, Delaware, SFA, JSU, NDSU and UNI consistently ranked high. UNH, JMU, Montana, Mont. St., and FAMU could all be in some top 10s. Chatty will be ranked, and is my sleeper this year, with a great coach moving that program forward.

Five players from W&M who should be looked at for rankings. RB Jon Grimes...LB Jake Trantin...LB Dante Cook...TE Alex Gottlieb...CB BW Webb.

HailSzczur
May 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Nova's top prospects for rankings in my opinion: Norman White WR should be a lock and possibley possibley Dorian Wells WR or Chidozie Ekweozor, OL for the offense. On defense DB James Pitts has a shot and Punter Dominic Scarnecchia.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2011, 08:27 PM
ASU has a lot of question marks going into this season, more than usual.

1. Replacing 3 olineman
2. Replacing 3 of the top 4 WRs
3. Replacing 3 all-americans on defense and switching the 3-4 defense.

That said the olineman and WRs recruited in 2009-2011 will get their change to shine. Also ASU will average over 300 lbs. on the D-line and their linebackers will average over 235 lbs.

I think they will be a very dangerous team by November, but early in the season it could be interesting.

smallcollegefbfan
May 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Guys you know I am talking about for example which FCS QBs would be ranked in their FBS QB rankings, which are typically the top 60. You guys think you have more than 2 players on your team good enough to be ranked among the very best of all divisions and all classes? For example, at QB the top rated QBs are going to likely be Matt Barkley, Nick Foles, etc. I'm think they probably rank Presley, possibly Mike Brown, and maybe 1 more. If they had 2 or 3 that would be a best case. I'm not sure I would rank more than Presley if I were them.

As for App I can just about guarantee if they are as good as their past rankings are that App has 1, Nova has 1, and W&M has 1 or 2. Those teams don't have many major star names. For the first time in a while I think the only team that might have 2 or 3 ranked is maybe EWU, Liberty, or South Dakota? I know USD is random but I know for a fact they have two players who will be getting NFL looks over the next two years and one is expected to be drafted.

HailSzczur
May 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Guys you know I am talking about for example which FCS QBs would be ranked in their FBS QB rankings, which are typically the top 60. You guys think you have more than 2 players on your team good enough to be ranked among the very best of all divisions and all classes? For example, at QB the top rated QBs are going to likely be Matt Barkley, Nick Foles, etc. I'm think they probably rank Presley, possibly Mike Brown, and maybe 1 more. If they had 2 or 3 that would be a best case. I'm not sure I would rank more than Presley if I were them.

As for App I can just about guarantee if they are as good as their past rankings are that App has 1, Nova has 1, and W&M has 1 or 2. Those teams don't have many major star names. For the first time in a while I think the only team that might have 2 or 3 ranked is maybe EWU, Liberty, or South Dakota? I know USD is random but I know for a fact they have two players who will be getting NFL looks over the next two years and one is expected to be drafted.

Oh, I misinterpreted this completely. In that case Nova has no one that I can see right now on that level. Not like last year where we had Szczur and Ijalana.

Id have to agree with Tribe4SF, Grimes deserves a look and ranking

Screamin_Eagle174
May 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
For EWU, I'd say definitely DT Renard Williams, likely WR Brandon Kaufman, and possibly SS Matt Johnson. We should be #1 or #2 in most polls, but I don't really care about that. As long as we're #1 at the end of January. ;-)

Screamin_Eagle174
May 5th, 2011, 09:03 PM
SCFBF, do you think Matt and Zach have a chance to get drafted? Perhaps not Zach because LBs tend to be bigger at the next level, but Matt has great size and ability for SS.

seantaylor
May 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Georgia Southern by what returns.

SideLine Shooter
May 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM
elon !!!!

DFW HOYA
May 5th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Most writers don't pay much attention beyond last season's results. EWU is #1.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
EWU is #1.

Has a nice ring to it! :D

mgbison
May 5th, 2011, 10:12 PM
There are a lot of top teams from last year that return a lot of starters. It's gonna be a fun year in fcs.

It would have been a great early season matchup with ndsu vs gsu, but those pussies from georgia bought out the gamexlolx. The fcs needs more good non-conference games between the top tier teams.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Should be either EWU or Georgia Southern.

Lehigh could be Top 15, certainly Top 20 imo. Colgate might be in some Top 25s.

citdog
May 5th, 2011, 11:09 PM
HURTS ME TO SAY IT BUT THE EAGLETS FROM PIG'S ***, GA SHOULD BE THE PRESEASON #1. THEY WILL BE IN MY POLL.

asumike83
May 5th, 2011, 11:29 PM
HURTS ME TO SAY IT BUT THE EAGLETS FROM PIG'S ***, GA SHOULD BE THE PRESEASON #1. THEY WILL BE IN MY POLL.

GSU is going to be very good, that defense has the potential to be downright dominant. My question is whether they can put enough points on the board. I'm cool with EWU being #1 until somebody knocks them off. Appalachian, Georgia Southern, Delaware and William & Mary will probably round out the top five in some order.

Cleets
May 6th, 2011, 12:46 AM

Based on what..?
Why would last years champion not start the season at #1

(just curious)

citdog
May 6th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Based on what..?
Why would last years champion not start the season at #1

(just curious)

east coast bias

I think that with EWU losing their best player to the NFL will be a huge hole to fill. Pig's *** is going to play better defence. But mostly east coast bias.

Cleets
May 6th, 2011, 02:05 AM
east coast bias

I think that with EWU losing their best player to the NFL will be a huge hole to fill. Pig's *** is going to play better defence. But mostly east coast bias.

Now don't punch me in the liver for this comment I'm about to make...
But they won the National Championship game without Taiwan Jones
and former SMU Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell is returning - if I'm not mistaken

Hmmm... how could anybody be ranked higher than Eastern Wa.

Keeper
May 6th, 2011, 03:50 AM
just a feeling..................... could be the Year of the Bison

Tribe4SF
May 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM

I offered up five from W&M who should be considered. Not saying they would all be ranked top 60. Grimes, Trantin and Gottlieb are seniors, and the other two juniors. I'll be surprised if any of the five don't end up as at least PFA in the NFL. Cook will be looked at as a strong safety. His speed, and physical attributes are comparable to David Caldwell, who's now with the Colts. If Mike Paulus builds on the progress he made before injury last fall, he's another who will get a shot. Very strong arm, and footwork and decision making have improved dramatically since his transfer. Not sure what kind of coaching he had at UNC, but his fundamentals needed alot of work when he arrived at W&M, and his progress was rapid.

darell1976
May 6th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Howard??

StorminASU
May 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM

It hurts everyone to say that or think that. Generally it hurts everyone who thinks that GSU has a shot at being successful again. Maybe all their defensive players will ask for transfers now that they're viewed as so dominant already.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 6th, 2011, 12:30 PM

xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
May 6th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Now don't punch me in the liver for this comment I'm about to make...
But they won the National Championship game without Taiwan Jones
and former SMU Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell is returning - if I'm not mistaken

Hmmm... how could anybody be ranked higher than Eastern Wa.

Not to mention that "Super" Mario Brown has been looking even better than he did during the Nova game. He was busting 5-6 yards per carry throughout the spring it seemed. He's got some speed himself, and is shifty as hell.

smallcollegefbfan
May 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Not to mention that "Super" Mario Brown has been looking even better than he did during the Nova game. He was busting 5-6 yards per carry throughout the spring it seemed. He's got some speed himself, and is shifty as hell.

Brown is a guy I have in the high teens/low 20s range in my RB rankings right now but I fully expect to have in my top 5-8 in 2012. I think he will have a good year.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 6th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Brown is a guy I have in the high teens/low 20s range in my RB rankings right now but I fully expect to have in my top 5-8 in 2012. I think he will have a good year.

I'm assuming you mean just FCS, right?

smallcollegefbfan
May 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'm assuming you mean just FCS, right?

Yeah. Only reason I wouldn't put him higher is because of the lack of reps. He showed in the playoffs that he could be rated highly as long as he has enough reps to get him the numbers to be ranked among the top guys. For those who saw the playoffs it is hard to not list him among the best in the Big Sky, at the very least, IMO.

Go...gate
May 6th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Bucknell?

biobengal
May 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'm thinking Idaho State... or..... you know, like, whatever.

Keeper
May 7th, 2011, 05:12 AM
certainly not the Lipscomb Bison xnonox

blueballs
May 8th, 2011, 02:30 PM
GSU is going to be very good, that defense has the potential to be downright dominant. My question is whether they can put enough points on the board. I'm cool with EWU being #1 until somebody knocks them off. Appalachian, Georgia Southern, Delaware and William & Mary will probably round out the top five in some order.

I think Southern will be better offensively than folks think simply because they played so many freshmen last year and it was everybody's- except Shaw the QB- first year in the system. I think the o-line will be way better than last year.

What the GSU offense won't have is the absolute burners at the slots and QB that they've had in the past that hit big plays by the truckload. GSU was very good down the stretch last year at grinding drives out and wearing out defenses- which is what happened with App, Furman, SCSU, and W&M. I can see them being even more efficient as well as bigger and stronger (lord knows they were physical last year).

I think we can all agree their defense will be nasty.

Their schedule doesn't do them any favors though. They have Alabammer and a D-2 so you have one guaranteed loss and a win that doesn't count, so they have to go 7-2 against the rest of their schedule to make the playoffs. With a road date at Samford the first game, then roadies at App and Wofford, plus what IMO will be a showdown type game against UTC, they've got their work cut out.

I also think NDSU has to be in there somewhere.

seantaylor
May 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I think Southern will be better offensively than folks think simply because they played so many freshmen last year and it was everybody's- except Shaw the QB- first year in the system. I think the o-line will be way better than last year.

What the GSU offense won't have is the absolute burners at the slots and QB that they've had in the past that hit big plays by the truckload. GSU was very good down the stretch last year at grinding drives out and wearing out defenses- which is what happened with App, Furman, SCSU, and W&M. I can see them being even more efficient as well as bigger and stronger (lord knows they were physical last year).

Their schedule doesn't do them any favors though. They have Alabammer and a D-2 so you have one guaranteed loss and a win that doesn't count, so they have to go 7-2 against the rest of their schedule to make the playoffs. With a road date at Samford the first game, then roadies at App and Wofford, plus what IMO will be a showdown type game against UTC, they've got their work cut out.

I also think NDSU has to be in there somewhere.

Disagree. Alex Ford and Johnnie Bryant are burners.

GSUsTALON
May 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM

Manbearpig, I think your spot on with your post. Ga. Sothern’s offense will be better this year. It will be more fundamentally sound & more methodical when moving the ball. I still think GSUs offense is a year out from its big play, defense confounding old self & put up the numbers Paul Johnson did. I’m hoping to see the passing game average 100 yards + a game at a 60% completion rate this year. Our passing game really hurt us last year against UD in the playoffs.

eaglewraith
May 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Manbearpig, I think your spot on with your post. Ga. Sothern’s offense will be better this year. It will be more fundamentally sound & more methodical when moving the ball. I still think GSUs offense is a year out from its big play, defense confounding old self & put up the numbers Paul Johnson did. I’m hoping to see the passing game average 100 yards + a game at a 60% completion rate this year. Our passing game really hurt us last year against UD in the playoffs.

We fell apart against UD. We didn't stick to what got us where we were, and the travel just wore down on our guys. We should have been at home the week before which would have helped. Our conditioning is what failed us toward the end of last year, it wasn't where it need to be. This year should be much better.