PDA

View Full Version : TSN: FCS Top 10 QBs

smallcollegefbfan
May 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm

Bam
May 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM
TJ Pryor from EKU will be on that list soon.

tribefan40
May 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Should be interesting to see how DeMarco fares against a full CAA slate. He's been impressive so far! Tons of turnover in the CAA at QB - I'd look for a couple to be on or near this list by the end of the season. (Paulus, perhaps? xnodx)

chattownmocs
May 4th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Coleman disrespected.

citdog
May 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Coleman disrespected.

I agree. If there are 3 better Qb's in the FCS I'm an obama zombie.

WestCoastAggie
May 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Congrats to Brockman for making the list.

asumike83
May 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Coleman disrespected.

Can't say I've seen every QB on that list play, but I can't imagine they are all better than him. He was very impressive last season and did at least get mentioned at the bottom of the article.

Brad82
May 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Steve Probst =URI, merits watching.

SpeedkingATL
May 4th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Coleman disrespected.

Very surprised Coleman not listed in the Top 10. I haven't seen all the Top 10 QBs play but Coleman has been pretty impressive and I would consider in the Top 10. I expect he and Corp at Richmond will be there by the end of the year.

Bam
May 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Congrats to Brockman for making the list.

He will def. get the attempts!

Tribe4SF
May 4th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Mike Paulus got limited time for W&M last year, but if he carries through with the quality of play he showed against North Carolina he can be a Payton candidate. The comeback he led against Maine was also very impressive.

smallcollegefbfan
May 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Coleman disrespected.

Not sure you can clearly say he is an elite QB. He is solid but threw way too many interceptions. Cost UTC a couple games this past year. A top 10 QB in FCS should not cost his team multiple games.

With that said, I have him 10th on my list but I could see someone ranking him as high as 7 or as low at 15. Don't see him as a top 3 guy though because he was so inconsistent from week to week.

Appaholic
May 4th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Coleman disrespected.

No doubt. He was the most impressive QB I saw last year (outside of ours....seriously, I didn't expect Pressley to be as good as he was last year)....Coleman impressed me more than Riddle ever did....

Appaholic
May 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Mike Paulus got limited time for W&M last year, but if he carries through with the quality of play he showed against North Carolina he can be a Payton candidate. The comeback he led against Maine was also very impressive.

Agree. I always thought he was the best QB when he played at Carlina, but couldn't seem to topple Yates...

smallcollegefbfan
May 4th, 2011, 02:42 PM
No doubt. He was the most impressive QB I saw last year (outside of ours....seriously, I didn't expect Pressley to be as good as he was last year)....Coleman impressed me more than Riddle ever did....

Did you see him at all since that game? He was great against App but to be fair their offense was very impressive for the most part in that game. They worked all off-season to prep for that game and ran out of gas late in it and could not put away a JSU team that proved to not be a great team as the season went on.

His best games last year were App (1st game), Samford, and EKU. Samford and EKU were not very good either. He threw 5 INTs against Elon, which cost them the game. He had no TDs and 1 INT against Wofford, which they lost. You could argue that if he had played well they would have won both of those games and then they would have been in the playoffs. If not for the fact they just game planned App perfectly that would not have been as close.

I'm not saying UTC wasn't any good though. I am in fact saying had Coleman been an elite QB that they would have made the playoffs. He's solid but threw to many INTs (13) and only completed 56% of his passes. If he can finish with a 3-1 TD-INT ratio and complete over 60% of his passes then he has a chance to be considered elite.

StorminASU
May 4th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I really think Chatty is going to surprise some people this year with a shot at the playoffs. Heres to the strength of the Socon returning!

chattownmocs
May 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM
There arent close to 10 QBs that have the upside and can make the plays that coleman has the ability to make. He has the potential to be the best QB in the country. He is that capable. Your idea that he was only good in a few games is simply false and ignorant. He was very good in all but a few games. 9 of his ints came in 2 games. Which is awful but I wouldn't bet on anything similar in 2011. Chattanooga failed to make the playoffs because they were unable as a unit to close out App State and JSU when they had them beat and solid football would have gotten the job done. It was certainly not all on Coleman's shoulders. As far as the Elon game goes, sure his turnover ended the rally. But he was also responsible for getting that game back to even after the defense was torched early. You are trying to make it sound as if Chattanooga is an elite QB away from making the playoffs last year. That is completely false. We had scholarship numbers in the low 50s. Chattanooga needed depth. I believe they have added that.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Did you see him at all since that game? He was great against App but to be fair their offense was very impressive for the most part in that game. They worked all off-season to prep for that game and ran out of gas late in it and could not put away a JSU team that proved to not be a great team as the season went on.

His best games last year were App (1st game), Samford, and EKU. Samford and EKU were not very good either. He threw 5 INTs against Elon, which cost them the game. He had no TDs and 1 INT against Wofford, which they lost. You could argue that if he had played well they would have won both of those games and then they would have been in the playoffs. If not for the fact they just game planned App perfectly that would not have been as close.

I'm not saying UTC wasn't any good though. I am in fact saying had Coleman been an elite QB that they would have made the playoffs. He's solid but threw to many INTs (13) and only completed 56% of his passes. If he can finish with a 3-1 TD-INT ratio and complete over 60% of his passes then he has a chance to be considered elite.

Interesting. I know he made the list, but would you consider Bo Levi "elite," or is he simply on the list because when it mattered most he got the job done and led EWU to a National Championship? Mitchell completed only 59% of his passes and 15 INTs, however he did throw 37 TDs. I certainly wouldn't consider him elite, but he is definitely clutch. He'll look like ***** one minute, then like a superstar the next. Although Kaufman and our other receivers have bailed him out many times.

PhoenixMan
May 4th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Coleman impressed me more than Riddle ever did....

Really? You must have missed the App/Elon game last year in Boone. 32 for 42, 400 yds. passing, 4 touchdowns, and 0 picks in a 34-31 loss didn't impress you? It did me, but of course I'm biased.

Cocky
May 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Coleman didn't cost Chattanooga the game last year vs JSU. JSU just had more talent than Chattanooga. Chattanooga was better prepared and played better than JSU.

phoenix3
May 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM

"

smallcollegefbfan
May 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Interesting. I know he made the list, but would you consider Bo Levi "elite," or is he simply on the list because when it mattered most he got the job done and led EWU to a National Championship? Mitchell completed only 59% of his passes and 15 INTs, however he did throw 37 TDs. I certainly wouldn't consider him elite, but he is definitely clutch. He'll look like ***** one minute, then like a superstar the next. Although Kaufman and our other receivers have bailed him out many times.

Don't consider many of the QBs on this list elite because QB is not a very deep position in FCS right now. I think Bo Levi is solid and I do think he is a better college QB than Coleman but Coleman's size makes him a better pro prospect.

smallcollegefbfan
May 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Coleman didn't cost Chattanooga the game last year vs JSU. JSU just had more talent than Chattanooga. Chattanooga was better prepared and played better than JSU.

JSU did have a little more talent but as a QB you can win, manage, or lose a game. UTC was ahead 17-7 and instead of putting the game away Coleman completed less than 50% of his passes and had a key interception.

And I am seeing articles about his NFL chances. He might develop into one but as of right now he is not a draftable QB IMO. He would be a possible free agent who I think ends up in the UFL. Hopefully he can improve his arm strength though because he does flash some things I like on tape.

Cocky
May 4th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Are there 10 draftable QBs in FCS?

R3TRO
May 4th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Not saying Kevin Decker should be on this list but I think a lot of people are going to be impressed with his play this year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 4th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Are there 10 draftable QBs in FCS?

Never have been 10 in one year between all four classes on the field combined. I think Coleman could be a top 10 QB in the country for sure but just don't see him as a top 3 or 4 QB. Although in defense I will say after Presley there aren't many who stand out from the rest of the pack. There are a lot of good QBs but not many great ones.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Never have been 10 in one year between all four classes on the field combined. I think Coleman could be a top 10 QB in the country for sure but just don't see him as a top 3 or 4 QB. Although in defense I will say after Presley there aren't many who stand out from the rest of the pack. There are a lot of good QBs but not many great ones.

What are your thoughts on SUU's Sorensen? I think he's a legit NFL prospect, granted he continues along the path he started last year. He absolutely shredded our secondary with laser precision. Has great size and makes great decisions too.

Poly's Brutality
May 5th, 2011, 02:30 AM
What are your thoughts on SUU's Sorensen? I think he's a legit NFL prospect, granted he continues along the path he started last year. He absolutely shredded our secondary with laser precision. Has great size and makes great decisions too.

Man, you kidding!? Good size, great decisions, had Poots but should be great this year. "Southern Utah University quarterback Brad Sorensen has been named one of the top-10 quarterbacks at the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision level by The SportsNetwork," btw. Scary team, too, especially with him at the helm. Hard to get there, hard to win there too. Big, strong, athletic, spread out. Sorensen a winner, so this team will be good, but I think they only have 4 home games, 7 away, and tough tough teams away this year, just a horrible schedule (worse than our 5-in-a-row away games last year maybe).... But Sorensen worth the price of admission wherever he's goin'.

Tribe4SF
May 5th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Agree. I always thought he was the best QB when he played at Carlina, but couldn't seem to topple Yates...

The situation at UNC was obviously just not right for Paulus. When the Tribe played the Heels in October, Paulus simply looked better than Yates. He suffered a shoulder injury on the second-to-last play of the game, and was lost for the season.

LeadBolt
May 5th, 2011, 06:50 AM
The situation at UNC was obviously just not right for Paulus. When the Tribe played the Heels in October, Paulus simply looked better than Yates. He suffered a shoulder injury on the second-to-last play of the game, and was lost for the season.

Will Paulus over come his shoulder injury and will W&M have enough quality receivers for him to show what he can do this fall?

chattownmocs
May 5th, 2011, 07:52 AM

So you are saying that Presley is far and away the best QB in the country. I'll take Coleman over him for the 2011 season without thinking twice.

ElonPride
May 5th, 2011, 08:09 AM
So you are saying that Presley is far and away the best QB in the country. I'll take Coleman over him for the 2011 season without thinking twice.

Coleman did look good at times during the season, but he did throw 5 picks playing against one of the worst defenses in FCS.

asumike83
May 5th, 2011, 08:27 AM

I don't know if I agree that DeAndre is the best QB in the country far and away, although he is definitely in the conversation. Coleman is a very good QB, but I just don't see how you can say you'd take him over Presley 'without thinking twice'. Aside from being a higher rated passer, Presley was also a dynamic runner.

Coleman: 2,996 yards, 56.3%, 26 TD-13 INT, 137.8 rating (37 yards, 4 rushing TD)
Presley: 2,631 yards, 61.2%, 21 TD-7 INT 141.8 rating (1,039 yards, 13 rushing TD)

It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison because the offenses are so different, but it's hard to argue against Presley based on what they did last season. Coleman put up big yardage and TD numbers but when you were as close to the postseason as Chattanooga was last year, limiting those turnovers could have gotten them in. In any case, they are the top 2 QBs in the conference and should each have an exciting 2011.

chattownmocs
May 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I don't know if I agree that DeAndre is the best QB in the country far and away, although he is definitely in the conversation. Coleman is a very good QB, but I just don't see how you can say you'd take him over Presley 'without thinking twice'. Aside from being a higher rated passer, Presley was also a dynamic runner.

Coleman: 2,996 yards, 56.3%, 26 TD-13 INT, 137.8 rating (37 yards, 4 rushing TD)
Presley: 2,631 yards, 61.2%, 21 TD-7 INT 141.8 rating (1,039 yards, 13 rushing TD)

It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison because the offenses are so different, but it's hard to argue against Presley based on what they did last season. Coleman put up big yardage and TD numbers but when you were as close to the postseason as Chattanooga was last year, limiting those turnovers could have gotten them in. In any case, they are the top 2 QBs in the conference and should each have an exciting 2011.

Well I am biased and I'm not saying anyone should agree with me. But, as far as the numbers go, sure, Presley was better but you are right, the offenses are much much different. I feel like the risk reward is much greater in the Chattanooga passing game. It's a more down the field type passing game. This is a little bit of a wild leap but here me out. Tim Tbow and Cam Newton are the 2 highest rated passers in SEC history. And they may be the 2 best QBs in SEC history. But I dont think anyone would argue that they were better Passers than Peyton Manning. If I'm running the type of offense that Chattanooga is running I'm going with Coleman. If i'm in app states im going with Presley.

smallcollegefbfan
May 5th, 2011, 10:55 AM

I'm saying based on the numbers that Presley should be #1 coming back. He was a Payton finalist and All-American, Coleman was not. Do I think Presley has any shot in the NFL at QB? No I dont. Do I think Coleman does? Yes I do. I think Presley has clearly been the better college QB but Coleman has more upside and would make a better pro QB.

smallcollegefbfan
May 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Well I am biased and I'm not saying anyone should agree with me. But, as far as the numbers go, sure, Presley was better but you are right, the offenses are much much different. I feel like the risk reward is much greater in the Chattanooga passing game. It's a more down the field type passing game. This is a little bit of a wild leap but here me out. Tim Tbow and Cam Newton are the 2 highest rated passers in SEC history. And they may be the 2 best QBs in SEC history. But I dont think anyone would argue that they were better Passers than Peyton Manning. If I'm running the type of offense that Chattanooga is running I'm going with Coleman. If i'm in app states im going with Presley.

And that is so true. It depends on the type of offense. Presley is not suite at all for a pro style offense while Coleman is not suite for an option or spread attack. I'm just saying that based on production, wins, and athletic ability Presley is ranked ahead of Coleman right now. I think all of the SoCon coaches would agree with me too. But I'm with you if I am running a pro style offense then yes I would pick Coleman thus why he is a better pro prospect.

smallcollegefbfan
May 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM

In defense, and I have said this before, this year's QB class is very thin. There are guys I would put in the 7-15 range who would not have been in the top 20 in some years. It is just a down time for QBs. The only concern I have about some positions being weak is if FCS loses a lot more schools to FBS then we will see the talent depleted a little bit more as well.

Appaholic
May 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I'm saying based on the numbers that Presley should be #1 coming back. He was a Payton finalist and All-American, Coleman was not. Do I think Presley has any shot in the NFL at QB? No I dont. Do I think Coleman does? Yes I do. I think Presley has clearly been the better college QB but Coleman has more upside and would make a better pro QB.

Agree. Very fair analysis.

Cleets
May 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Agree. Very fair analysis.

Knock me over with a feather...
Appa

Appaholic
May 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Really? You must have missed the App/Elon game last year in Boone. 32 for 42, 400 yds. passing, 4 touchdowns, and 0 picks in a 34-31 loss didn't impress you? It did me, but of course I'm biased.

I was at the game and thought it was a great performance, but a typical Riddle performance....lofty numbers with no win. Actually funny you mention this game because my former college roommate & I had this EXACT SAME argument while watching this particular game. I'm admittedly biased as I never thought Riddle was a great QB. He was a very talented QB, but not a leader. He always seemed to fold in the big games (see 2009 AppSt game @ Elon). For all his lofty numbers, exactly how many playoff games/wins did he lead Elon to in his career? Even with a pro-caliber talent at WR (Hudgins)?

ElonPride
May 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I was at the game and thought it was a great performance, but a typical Riddle performance....lofty numbers with no win. Actually funny you mention this game because my former college roommate & I had this EXACT SAME argument while watching this particular game. I'm admittedly biased as I never thought Riddle was a great QB. He was a very talented QB, but not a leader. He always seemed to fold in the big games (see 2009 AppSt game @ Elon). For all his lofty numbers, exactly how many playoff games/wins did he lead Elon to in his career? Even with a pro-caliber talent at WR (Hudgins)?

See, the game this past season really didn't have anything to do with Riddle losing the game. Elon simply had a horrid defense that couldn't stop Presley. Riddle was the one player holding Elon in the game. Big play after big play......he even lead the team in rushing that game (which really isn't saying too much) and did a pretty nice job spreading the ball around the field.

The defense alone was the factor in three close losses this past season; App by 3, Richmond in OT & Wofford on a fluke hail mary TD in double coverage. Defense wins games and this was the factor in Elon finishing the season 9-2 instead of 6-5.

As for those that were impressed with Coleman: He is a good QB, but do think about my previous post. Coleman threw 5 ints against one of the worst defenses in FCS (Elon).

chattownmocs
May 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
See, the game this past season really didn't have anything to do with Riddle losing the game. Elon simply had a horrid defense that couldn't stop Presley. Riddle was the one player holding Elon in the game. Big play after big play......he even lead the team in rushing that game (which really isn't saying too much) and did a pretty nice job spreading the ball around the field.

The defense alone was the factor in three close losses this past season; App by 3, Richmond in OT & Wofford on a fluke hail mary TD in double coverage. Defense wins games and this was the factor in Elon finishing the season 9-2 instead of 6-5.

As for those that were impressed with Coleman: He is a good QB, but do think about my previous post. Coleman threw 5 ints against one of the worst defenses in FCS (Elon).

Exactly, most of his picks were in a few games. Overall he was very good.

phoenix3
May 5th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I met Coleman after the Elon game. He was a very respectful young man as well as being an athletic 6'5" QB. No doubt he will be the most draftable FCS QB next year. I also think he belongs in the Top 10 FCS QBs but the point should be well taken that the NFL and NCAA are worlds apart. A QB like Armanti Edwards could easily have played at a high level in the right system at the BCS level. Depending on how Pressley does this year, he may wind up with the Payton award, so you might be able to say the same about him. Not so in the NFL. The systems are just too different. With a little bit of discipline, Coleman could easily find himself where Flacco is today.

Appaholic
May 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM

I don't disagree. But there are certain QB's who, with the ball late in the game, strike terror in the hearts of opposing fans. I imagine Armanti did that to our opponents. So would a Matt Sczur from Nova. Foster from GaSouth did that to me. But I was never worried this past year even with the gam so close. And it's because deep down, I knew his Elon team with iddle at the helm had never won a big game when it counted. Maybe that should be more of a reflection of Lembo than Riddle, but Riddle as QB was the face of the team.

GlassOnion
May 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I don't disagree. But there are certain QB's who, with the ball late in the game, strike terror in the hearts of opposing fans. I imagine Armanti did that to our opponents. So would a Matt Sczur from Nova. Foster from GaSouth did that to me. But I was never worried this past year even with the gam so close. And it's because deep down, I knew his Elon team with iddle at the helm had never won a big game when it counted. Maybe that should be more of a reflection of Lembo than Riddle, but Riddle as QB was the face of the team.

I personally think you got the wrong end of the body describing Riddle.

LUHawker
May 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Interesting comment about Lembo. When Pete was HC at Lehigh, he won all the games he was supposed to win, but never won a "big" game. One could argue that the LU playoff victory vs. Hofstra was a big win - and it was a big win, but I think that was more Hofstra and Joe Gardi blowing it than Lehigh "winning".

I think you'll see the same Pete Lembo pattern take hold at Bowling Green. He'll improve the progam nicely, but probably not take it above and beyond.

GlassOnion
May 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Interesting comment about Lembo. When Pete was HC at Lehigh, he won all the games he was supposed to win, but never won a "big" game. One could argue that the LU playoff victory vs. Hofstra was a big win - and it was a big win, but I think that was more Hofstra and Joe Gardi blowing it than Lehigh "winning".

I think you'll see the same Pete Lembo pattern take hold at Bowling Green. He'll improve the progam nicely, but probably not take it above and beyond.

I thought he was at Ball State?

GlassOnion
May 5th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I originally wanted to like Lembo when he first came down, because he was coming from Lehigh, and Ive got roots up Plymouth Whitemarsh way, but after a couple seasons, plughhh.

ElonPride
May 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Yeah, I do get what you're saying and agree to an extent. I think some of this were bad coaching decisions.....ie Lembo going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG (yes I know that wasn't a good spot for Shrier) at App. That was a game changing decision.

They only "big game" I think they won under Lembo was Wofford back in '07. They were #7 and Elon was unranked. That was they year Wofford was SoCon Co-champ and beat Montana in Missoula in the first round of the playoffs. That's not to say that Lembo didn't take a TERRIBLE program and turn them into a contender. But you can only take that so far before the natives get restless and want to get over that hump!

GATA
May 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM
TJ Pryor from EKU will be on that list soon.

Nah...**** that guy.

GATA
May 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Never met a person who hates black folks more than you...I can respect that.

GATA
May 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I really think Chatty is going to surprise some people this year with a shot at the playoffs. Heres to the strength of the Socon returning!

How exactly would that be surprising? They were one win away from making the playoffs last year...and they're bringing back Coleman...

GATA
May 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM

...and neither one of them will play in the NFL...

chattownmocs
May 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM
How exactly would that be surprising? They were one win away from making the playoffs last year...and they're bringing back Coleman...

Would you be surprised if Chattanooga wins the national championship?

citdog
May 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Would you be surprised if Chattanooga wins the national championship?

i'd make out with shannon ****ner on regional television

citdog
May 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Never met a person who hates black folks more than you...I can respect that.

dude I LOVE all of the Southern People. I'll take a Black Southerner before a white yankee anyday and ESPECIALLY over south georgia white trash.

citdog
May 5th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I originally wanted to like Lembo when he first came down, because he was coming from Lehigh, and Ive got roots up Plymouth Whitemarsh way, but after a couple seasons, plughhh.

YANKEE SCUM

Bam
May 6th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Nah...**** that guy.

Such bitterness! Smack talk is in another area.

GlassOnion
May 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
YANKEE SCUM

Cant help where I've ended up, Im the son and grandson and great grandson of military men and women. Surely you understand.

smallcollegefbfan
May 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
...and neither one of them will play in the NFL...

As of right now I totally agree with you. I know what a NFL QB looks like and I thought Devlin was by far the best last year and he was a borderline draftable QB IMO. I pointed out how he was overrated and we saw it on draft day. I think Coleman is a free agent at best and I see Presley in the CFL or UFL.

bjtheflamesfan
May 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Mike Brown and the Liberty offense have the potential to give coaches nightmares this year (and considering that they already were one of the top offenses in FCS last year even with a suspect running game that is scary enough). He's getting looks at WR (a la now former Appalachian State great Armanti Edwards) and if he gets more reps there, he could be all over the field which will I would think give DCs a lot to stay up late for preparing for the Flames this year

RichH2
May 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I have only seen 4 of the qbs listed for next year, all very good. Others cannot really agree or disagree. I find it difficault to accept that all of these 13 qbs are better than Lehigh's Chris Lum. The season will sort them all out.