Seattle, S Mark Legree (App State) 5th Rd, 25th pick
San Francisco, G Daniel Kilgore (App State) 5th Rd, 31st pcik

phoenixphanatic21
April 30th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Green Bay, LB D.J. Smith (App State) 6th round, 21st pick

Saint3333
April 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Green Bay, LB D.J. Smith (App State) 6th round, 21st pick

Smallcollegefootball guy you out there? Remember that debate we had mid-season about DJ Smith's draftablity? xnodx

Congrats to these Apps!

SpeedkingATL
April 30th, 2011, 06:00 PM
The game DJ had against the Florida Gators convinced me he could potentially play in the NFL. He was a monster that day. Congrats to all the SoCon and FCS selections, especially the 3 Mountaineers.

lehighfball
May 1st, 2011, 01:29 AM
Congrats to the SoCon for having the most FCS draftees, followed by the Big Sky. Appalachian St. has alot to be proud of with the most draftees, says alot about their program. For now I am thrilled that the Patriot League was represented by Lehigh's Will Rackley. It's been a great year for FCS football, I counted 16 draftees.

smallcollegefbfan
May 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Smallcollegefootball guy you out there? Remember that debate we had mid-season about DJ Smith's draftablity? xnodx

Congrats to these Apps!

I remember. With the weak class a lot of players who typically would not get drafted were selected so it helped him.

But remember that getting drafted or not getting drafted doesn't mean anything. Jason Hunter was a better player and he went undrafted. I don't see DJ making that roster. Look at the LBs on roster and when you consider there are what 8 typically kept on roster, who does he beat out

Here are the locks to make the GB roster: Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk, Clay Matthews, Frank Zombo, and Erik Walden.

Then you have those who have the inside advantage to be retained in Brandon Chillar and Brady Poppinga.

He will have to compete with Ricky Elmore, Matt Wilhelm, Desmond Bishop, and a few others. Just don't think his chances are good.

With that said, I do think LeGree and Kilgore make their rosters. As I said earlier in the year DJ was he 3rd rated App guy with teams and that is where he fell in the draft. Regardless, he was a late round pick and not a 4th or 5th round pick like some folks at ASU were hyping him to be. I know your SID Mike Flynn kept telling people that Smith was the best prospect and hyped him over LeGree and others for awards.

biggie
May 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Believe Packer's GM commented on DJ and liked him. Was mentioned he could make the roster (apparently Barnett possibly gone?).

smallcollegefbfan
May 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
Believe Packer's GM commented on DJ and liked him. Was mentioned he could make the roster (apparently Barnett possibly gone?).

If Barnett and 1 or 2 others are gone then I definitely agree DJ could make the practice squad or maybe sneak onto the roster.

In defense though, it would not look good if a GM just drafted a player and said his chances to make the team did not look good. If they did that then folks would begin to ask why they drafted him. Every player drafted is a player the team thinks has a shot to make it. I just happen to believe in this case DJ won't make it. I believe Mr. C agrees with me and he is a pretty good judge of NFL talent as well because he has seen so many over the years. Might want to ask him and see what he thinks.

With that said, I expect him to make it down to the final cut and just barely miss it. Hopefully I'm wrong though as the more from FCS who make it the better. xnodxxnodx

asumike83
May 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
But remember that getting drafted or not getting drafted doesn't mean anything. Jason Hunter was a better player and he went undrafted. I don't see DJ making that roster. Look at the LBs on roster and when you consider there are what 8 typically kept on roster, who does he beat out

Here are the locks to make the GB roster: Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk, Clay Matthews, Frank Zombo, and Erik Walden.

Then you have those who have the inside advantage to be retained in Brandon Chillar and Brady Poppinga.

He will have to compete with Ricky Elmore, Matt Wilhelm, Desmond Bishop, and a few others. Just don't think his chances are good.

I read on one of the GB sites that D.J./Elmore will have a good shot to make the roster, as they are considering letting Poppinga go in favor of a youth movement. He's definitely looked at as a 3rd-4th string LB who plays on special teams, but I'd say he has a decent shot to make the cut. Jason Hunter got his career started with kick coverage in GB, hopefully D.J. can do the same.

I'm with you SpeedkingATL, I was in Gainesville for D.J.'s 14 tackle performance and left convinced that he could play at the next level. He was the most active player on either defensive unit and laid some good wood on their WR's coming across on slant routes.

Saint3333
May 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
I remember. With the weak class a lot of players who typically would not get drafted were selected so it helped him.

With that said, I do think LeGree and Kilgore make their rosters. As I said earlier in the year DJ was he 3rd rated App guy with teams and that is where he fell in the draft. Regardless, he was a late round pick and not a 4th or 5th round pick like some folks at ASU were hyping him to be. I know your SID Mike Flynn kept telling people that Smith was the best prospect and hyped him over LeGree and others for awards.

I would also accepted, "you were right". ;-).

smallcollegefbfan
May 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
I would also accepted, "you were right". ;-).

That too lol. You were right and I never said he couldn't I just said he wasn't draftable in my mind. I'm glad he did. I am skeptical he makes that roster though unless a couple of those veterans are let go and then I think he would.

Waco Kid
May 3rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
I read on one of the GB sites that D.J./Elmore will have a good shot to make the roster, as they are considering letting Poppinga go in favor of a youth movement. He's definitely looked at as a 3rd-4th string LB who plays on special teams, but I'd say he has a decent shot to make the cut. Jason Hunter got his career started with kick coverage in GB, hopefully D.J. can do the same.

I'm with you SpeedkingATL, I was in Gainesville for D.J.'s 14 tackle performance and left convinced that he could play at the next level. He was the most active player on either defensive unit and laid some good wood on their WR's coming across on slant routes.

I'll never forget when he ran Burton down from behind in the open field. He may not run the fastest time in the 40 but he plays fast out on the field. One thing to also keep in mind is that his numbers exploded the last half of the year when he was moved to MLB. He was forced to play out of position his first 3 years since we had Roman in the middle. He is a perfect fit for ILB in a 3-4 D.

phoenixphanatic21
May 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
This guy takes a good look at all the SoCon guys who got drafted and how they fit in with their teams. I think it's a good read.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/SOCON/view/running-with-the-big-dogs

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Six players off the ASU 2007 team have been drafted. Brian Quick, who will surely be drafted next year, was technically on that team before redshirting. Ya think that was a talented squad?

smallcollegefbfan
May 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
This guy takes a good look at all the SoCon guys who got drafted and how they fit in with their teams. I think it's a good read.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/SOCON/view/running-with-the-big-dogs

Cortez Allen an A in the 4th round? He does know that Allen got benched this year, gave up 3 TDs to App State, and gave up one to Furman, UTC, and a few other teams too. He gave up at least 7 TDs this year. Allen was only drafted because of measurables and the fact this draft class was weak.

So many players taken in the 6th and 7th round would have been free agents in other drafts. I'll give him credit for pretty good grades on the other one. I do think he was grading mostly on where teams got players compared to how they were rated by media and not the talent on the field. If Allen becomes a solid starter in the NFL then Brian Quick has the ability to become an all-pro because he made Allen look like a high school kid on the field in that game. Any of the App fans remember seeing Allen get benched? I was in shock at how bad Allen's cover skills were, however, I see why he got drafted because he looks like an ideal NFL CB.

chattownmocs
May 4th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Good job Buster Skrine.

chattownmocs
May 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/03/coleman-aware-nfl-shot/

BJ Coleman getting ready for next year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/03/coleman-aware-nfl-shot/

BJ Coleman getting ready for next year.

Coleman will get some looks. After the App game I thought he might be a draft pick but as the season went on I don't think he is draftable, at this point, but he could put himself in that position if he strengthens his arm and works on the turnovers. He threw too many picks last year and would often times miss open receivers. Probably needs to gain some weight too if he is really just 210 or 215 like they list him. At his size you would like to see 220-235 range.

chattownmocs
May 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Coleman will get some looks. After the App game I thought he might be a draft pick but as the season went on I don't think he is draftable, at this point, but he could put himself in that position if he strengthens his arm and works on the turnovers. He threw too many picks last year and would often times miss open receivers. Probably needs to gain some weight too if he is really just 210 or 215 like they list him. At his size you would like to see 220-235 range.

Lets be honest. He can't throw the out with enough velocity. I disagree that he missed an exceptional number of open recievers. But his arm strength as far as velocity is not NFL caliber. But an elite FCS QB nonetheless.

smallcollegefbfan
May 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Lets be honest. He can't throw the out with enough velocity. I disagree that he missed an exceptional number of open recievers. But his arm strength as far as velocity is not NFL caliber. But an elite FCS QB nonetheless.

I saw about 5 or 6 games. There were times he didn't see an open receiver or could not make the throw to get the ball to the WR, on out routes, that players like Scott Riddle could make.

I'm not saying he isn't good but he isn't draftable QB at this point. Like I said though if he improves the arm strength and is consistent with protecting the ball I believe he has a chance but as of now I see him as a poor man's version of Devlin as this point.

Cleets
May 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Seattle, S Mark Legree (App State) 5th Rd, 25th pick
San Francisco, G Daniel Kilgore (App State) 5th Rd, 31st pcik

Mark Legree has had some amazing games and a few terrible games...
It will be interesting to see how he works out with the club - that is - If we have pro football this year

AppIAA
May 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM

What?? You don't think he'll beat out Matthews for the starting job?? ;)