PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Presidents meeting

Pard4Life
April 26th, 2011, 10:26 AM
It has been several months since the table decision took place. I am surprised nothing has been heard about what went on at the meeting.
Has anybody heard? Somebody always talks...

ngineer
April 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
....after 11 hours of silence, I guess the answer is 'nuttin'...I doubt anyone has done anything. Isn't there a mid-year gathering in June. Perfect place would be at Annapolis....so they can do some 'navel' reconnaissance....

Lafalum
April 27th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Only thing I have heard is a lot of backtracking at Lafayette.....Oh it wasn't just Weis...we really support Div 1 and the PL....I never knew we dropped our equivalencies. There was a lot a potential heat from alumni after the Weis article and there has been a lot of effort made saying he was misquoted etc. In the meantime we have seen other PL schools add scholarships in other sports perhaps preparing for football scholarships. The clock is ticking

carney2
April 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Only thing I have heard is a lot of backtracking at Lafayette.....Oh it wasn't just Weis...we really support Div 1 and the PL....I never knew we dropped our equivalencies. There was a lot a potential heat from alumni after the Weis article and there has been a lot of effort made saying he was misquoted etc. In the meantime we have seen other PL schools add scholarships in other sports perhaps preparing for football scholarships. The clock is ticking

And which of this cabal of mediocrity do you expect to break through the cone of silence? When the future becomes the past and we absolutely know which road these bunglers have chosen, none of us will have anything beyond LFN's cockamamie conspiracy theories as explanations of what went on behind those closed doors in December. There have been no leaks. There will be no leaks.

What baffles me at the moment is the "logic" that "we have seen other PL schools add scholarships in other sports perhaps preparing for football scholarships." How does a school's awarding athletic scholarships for women's badminton and an equal number for men's cross country skiing prepare for football scholarships? One would think that "preparation" would include action to anticipate a Title IX imbalance or to free up funds for what will be a serious financial problem at some of these schools. Simply approving athletic scholarships in non-revenue sports does not have any impact on the future of football as far as I can see.

the last indian
April 28th, 2011, 11:15 AM
What do you expect from the Ivory Tower types? A straight answer, a direct action, a clear articulation of a principal? How naive! One must delay, study the problem hoping it goes away, water down any proposal to gain a consensus that will hold the lowest common denominator. First, please the tweed bag Volvo driving faculty one meets in the faculty lounge with long and complicated explanations that lead in circles. Don't appear to be influenced by the jocks, at least until some Alum with check in hand objects, and then pretend that you have not been bribed. Ask yourself what would the Ivies do? We must be like the Ivies, the highest ideal in academia. Certainly avoid any action that separates a decision from the comfort of the crowd.
Imagine if business were run this way? What I fear is that is where we are headed. We all become mini GE's dining at the taxpayers trough, trading influence for deals.
Back to football, it is easier to do nothing, deflect criticism, act like an Ivy with AI's, no scholarships, not competitive with the rest of the world, but comfortable with our snobbish intellectual superiority.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 29th, 2011, 06:05 AM
At Bucknell, the possible football scholarship future shows up scholarships not yet added to Field Hockey and one other women's sport, as if held back for a future pairing with football. There is no other rhyme or reason within the recent announced expansion of scholarship atheletics for 2012-13, I believe. FH is a recent league champion, and likely could use scholies to catch back up with American, who made some noise in the NCAAs this part year.

I think sorting out league relations with the Ivy Group and any possible scheduling blowback has to be part of calculus here.

I do not have any other direct information, but if LFN is in possession of information that Bucknell has hardened its position as one against merit aid in football, I would like to hear that source. Or were you phishing in that post, LFN?

The Eagle's Cliff
April 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM
What do you expect from the Ivory Tower types? A straight answer, a direct action, a clear articulation of a principal? How naive! One must delay, study the problem hoping it goes away, water down any proposal to gain a consensus that will hold the lowest common denominator. First, please the tweed bag Volvo driving faculty one meets in the faculty lounge with long and complicated explanations that lead in circles. Don't appear to be influenced by the jocks, at least until some Alum with check in hand objects, and then pretend that you have not been bribed. Ask yourself what would the Ivies do? We must be like the Ivies, the highest ideal in academia. Certainly avoid any action that separates a decision from the comfort of the crowd.

I think I found a picture of them when they were young and just learning the ways of Mr. Marx.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4Pc6fUO_kQmMSQKDKV5FT81tIe6bzm 2smiygQyc-u6tVdVF-q

RichH2
April 29th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Title IX balance or proportionality will be an issue but it seems some schools are addressing that issue now and next year. I imagine Pards will do what is necessary, but if they let it slide , as Admin seems to be doing, they will probably follow their Bball approach. I hope that is not the case. We'll see next June I think.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM
If there is an overarching theme to the Patriot League travails about scholarships and college football in general (especially at the FCS level), it could be Title IX. You have to believe that a very large part of the discussion about scholarships revolves around Title IX compliance with the new amount of men's scholarships that would need to be offset by women's scholarships.

The Ivies have a solution to Title IX: scholarship (almost) everybody. But that only works if your names are Harvard, Yale or Princeton, and have so much money you don't know what to do with it all. For the PL schools - and, I think, the Columbia's, Dartmouth's, and Brown's, too - I think that will prove to be a model that is unsustainable.

Pard4Life
April 30th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Football should be exempt from Title IX. There I said it... seriously. It's such a headache for the sport and almost every other sport balances (wrestling and field hockey). I do not think women would be upset at the presence of football if they are provided with many other adequately funded sports.

the last indian
May 4th, 2011, 04:05 PM
So lets repeal Title IX- see this article: http://www.hoover.org/publications/defining-ideas/article/77231