PDA

View Full Version : Three Delaware Players Involved in Armed Robbery

GannonFan
March 6th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Just reported today (see link), that three UD players, along with a 4th student, broke into a fellow student's apartment this weekend, with a shotgun, held the two occupants at gunpoint, and ransacked the apartment before leaving. All were identified and have been arrested, and all will obviously face serious felony charges, and in all likliehood spend serious time in a federal prison for such an act with a weapon. While it's sad to see young lives so wasted on such a stupid decision, and especially sad that these guys had so much going for them, the only people to blame are the punks themselves. This isn't just a stupid decision, it's repugnant and despicable. The longer these guys are behind bars the better, IMO.

http://www.wdel.com/news.php?n=N&s=1

March 6th, 2006, 08:09 AM
http://www.wdel.com/news.php?n=N&s=1"Demetrius Alexander, Daniel Jones, Jeffrey Robinson, and Tyrone Heggins, all UD students, were arrested by police for their roles in the robbery of two other UD students at the Park Place apartments early Sunday morning.

Alexander, Jones, and Robinson are on the Blue Hens football team.

... They were all wearing masks, but during a fight with the 20 year old resident of the apartment, their disguises were pulled from their faces and the resident recognized them." ...

GannonFan
March 6th, 2006, 08:13 AM
"Demetrius Alexander, Daniel Jones, Jeffrey Robinson, and Tyrone Heggins, all UD students, were arrested by police for their roles in the robbery of two other UD students at the Park Place apartments early Sunday morning.

Alexander, Jones, and Robinson are on the Blue Hens football team.

... They were all wearing masks, but during a fight with the 20 year old resident of the apartment, their disguises were pulled from their faces and the resident recognized them." ...

Alexander played as a redshirt freshman last year - was slated to be the starting middle linebacker this year. Jones saw spot duty as Omar Cuff's backup last year, figured to be a steady backup this year. Robinson was to be a junior I believe this year - highly touted d-back that never saw significant playing time. Heggins was not a football player.

As I said, they are obviously going to be off the team, expelled from the university, and facing time in federal prison if convicted, assuming these allegations are true. Despicable.

March 6th, 2006, 08:15 AM
...they are obviously going to be off the team, expelled from the university, and facing time in federal prison if convicted, assuming these allegations are true. Despicable.Gawd, what can they be thinking???? Shotgun, masks... all four ID'd by one resident???

th0m
March 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM
I guess its smarter to rob from fellow students if your team isn't very good or has no real schoolsupport, less chance to get ID'd by the studentbody!

As Johan Cruijff (a famous Dutch soccer player) always says: "Elk voordeel heb z'n nadeel". (Every upside has its downside) :D

GannonFan
March 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Gawd, what can they be thinking???? Shotgun, masks... all four ID'd by one resident???

That's why it's beyond stupid. These guys had a college degree waiting for them, a lifetime of a network of people because of their association with the football program and the university, and they pissed it away just to ransack a fellow student's apartment. And doing it with a weapon means if they're convicted they go to federal prison, and I'm sure there are some pretty hefty mandatory sentencing guidelines as well. A good example of how you can piss away your life in just a few moments of stupidity.

UNH 40
March 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
It is to bad that something like this happened. Idiots like these three give all athletes, especially football players a black eye. I hope that they get what is coming to them and serve as much time in prison as there crime warrants.

March 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I guess its smarter to rob from fellow students if your team isn't very good or has no real schoolsupport, less chance to get ID'd by the studentbody!

As Johan Cruijff (a famous Dutch soccer player) always says: "Elk voordeel heb z'n nadeel". (Every upside has its downside):confused: :eyebrow: :confused:

henfan
March 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I echo GF's comments. This makes me sick to my stomach, especially after having met and spoken with one the alleged perps a few months back. I'm deeply disappointed and embarrassed by his actions and those of the other 3 idiots.

This is just a sad situation on so many levels. Hopefully, the victims will get the support they need to recover and be able to resume their studies. The law will deal severely with those who allegedly committed this horrendous crime. There's no room for this stuff to be happening anywhere, let alone on college campuses.

walliver
March 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I am pleased to see how our Deleware bretheren on the board have dealt pro-actively with this issue. No excuses, no rationalizations.

Of course, these guys are accused, not convicted. The story is so strange, that I wonder if there is more to the story. Specifically, why an armed break-in instead of waiting for the guy to leave his apartment. I wonder if a drug-deal-gone-bad or a girlfriend-in-common is at the root of this.

Bub
March 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Given our recent discussions about some results on the Wonderlic test I guess the fact that some players make really stupid decisions should not be so surprising. What a terrible situation for all involved.

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I echo GF's comments. This makes me sick to my stomach, especially after having met and spoken with one the alleged perps a few months back. I'm deeply disappointed and embarrassed by his actions and those of the other 3 idiots.

This is just a sad situation on so many levels. Hopefully, the victims will get the support they need to recover and be able to resume their studies. The law will deal severely with those who allegedly committed this horrendous crime. There's no room for this stuff to be happening anywhere, let alone on college campuses.

I agree... a real black-eye to the UD program... getting thrown out of school will be the least of their worries if they are convicted... as all are likely to receive a well deserved term of incarceration.

PS... as to the victims and I could be wrong... as I have no additional knowledge of the circumstances... but based on past experience... this sure smells of an attempt to rip off a possible drug house.

blukeys
March 6th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I am pleased to see how our Deleware bretheren on the board have dealt pro-actively with this issue. No excuses, no rationalizations.

Of course, these guys are accused, not convicted. The story is so strange, that I wonder if there is more to the story. Specifically, why an armed break-in instead of waiting for the guy to leave his apartment. I wonder if a drug-deal-gone-bad or a girlfriend-in-common is at the root of this.

There are no excuses. Regardless of the cause, this is criminal behavior. Players have been suspended by the team and expelled from school for much less. This is the worst violation I have ever heard by any UD athlete.:mad: :mad: :(

Tubby Raymond
March 6th, 2006, 09:22 AM
PS... as to the victims and I could be wrong... as I have no additional knowledge of the circumstances... but based on past experience... this sure smells of an attempt to rip off a possible drug house.

This will come to light, quickly.:nonono2:

SunCoastBlueHen
March 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I agree with previous posters that there is likely a good deal more to this story than has been reported. I'm afraid this might get even uglier once we learn of the particulars.

We Delaware fans like to talk about the relative cleanliness of the football program - maybe UD has just been fortunate to avoid the really bad apples in the past. This is a huge embarrassment. If guilty, may the get everything that is coming to them.

colgate13
March 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
No one wishes this on any program, but FWIW, it's nice to see the UD guys up front with this one. I hadn't heard about this yet...

Good luck. UD is a strong enough program that it can take some lumps. If it doesn't kill you, it will only make you stronger. The rest of the team might be getting a wake up call.

Pards Rule
March 6th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Hey, any of you Del Hens have a link to the News-Journal. Actually, I just thought as I am typing - I will be in Dover this afternoon and then getting dinner at the new Bob Evans in Middletown, DE (opens today!). I can pick it up down there.

GannonFan
March 6th, 2006, 11:15 AM
More articles have been released - obviously all three players have been expelled from campus pending their cases and all three are suspended from the football team pending their involvement. None of them will play for UD or even step on the campus again. The non-football player was the one brandishing the weapon. The "victim" in this was a walk-on freshman football player (not identified yet) and the robbery was for drugs (one article mentions cocaine, marijuana, and steroids). I would imagine the walk-on guy could very well be in jeopardy as well, but nothing has been published about that.

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2006/mar/robbery030606.html

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb06-suspension.html

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060306/NEWS/60306003

Pard, the News Journal is the last link.

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Totally embarassing situation. All 3 players are knuckleheads that made a stupid decision that will haunt them forever.

soweagle
March 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Hen fans should not take this personally. It does not reflect on the football team as bad as you think. If they were allowed to keep playing then it would be different. I'm afraid very few schools are immune to these types of incidents anymore.

LacesOut
March 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Friggin idiots!

OL FU
March 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Friggin idiots!

Not really interested in the thread. I just wanted to check out Laces newest avatar:D

LacesOut
March 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM
FU that avatar is old!! LOL I haven't changed it since late December, the last time I was around here. But this UD story made me come out of hibernation.

ngineer
March 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Hen fans should not take this personally. It does not reflect on the football team as bad as you think. If they were allowed to keep playing then it would be different. I'm afraid very few schools are immune to these types of incidents anymore.

Quite true. We had our incident last year, though not with a football player, with some rich frat kid robbing a bank. No different than any other community of any size. You're going to get a certain percentage of people who are beyond rules and morals...

OL FU
March 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM
FU that avatar is old!! LOL I haven't changed it since late December, the last time I was around here. But this UD story made me come out of hibernation.

So am I which is why I don't remember:)

Was kidding about not being interested.

LacesOut
March 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM
***Avatar has changed, avatar has changed***

A shotgun they had to rob this dude??!!?! Someone must have owed somebody else, big time.

Also, there are rumors of a fourth UD player who is involved, and this player contributed to the team quite a bit last season.

GannonFan
March 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
***Avatar has changed, avatar has changed***

A shotgun they had to rob this dude??!!?! Someone must have owed somebody else, big time.

Also, there are rumors of a fourth UD player who is involved, and this player contributed to the team quite a bit last season.

When information comes out I'm sure someone will post it here - nothing else is public than what's already been posted here. Time will tell if this is an isolated incident of a few bad apples or something more insidious happening at UD. I've always been a proud supporter of the program yes, because of the wins, but more importantly because of the relative cleaness of the program. Suffice to say, I'm a bit angry and disgusted at the news coming out today.

ASU Kep
March 6th, 2006, 02:13 PM
More articles have been released - obviously all three players have been expelled from campus pending their cases and all three are suspended from the football team pending their involvement. None of them will play for UD or even step on the campus again. The non-football player was the one brandishing the weapon. The "victim" in this was a walk-on freshman football player (not identified yet) and the robbery was for drugs (one article mentions cocaine, marijuana, and steroids). I would imagine the walk-on guy could very well be in jeopardy as well, but nothing has been published about that.

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2006/mar/robbery030606.html

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb06-suspension.html

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060306/NEWS/60306003

Pard, the News Journal is the last link.

Wow...so they decided to rob at gunpoint a guy that through the FB team most certainly would have KNOWN THEM? This is getting dumber and dumber. I hope they get the book thrown at them, and under no circumstances ever even consider producing offspring. : smh :

Go...gate
March 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Kudos to UD for handling the situation up-front and expelling those kids from the FB program and the university.

LacesOut
March 6th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Update....http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Latest update: Police say 18 vials of steroids taken • One player out on bail • Police seize 2 shotguns, 1 handgun, 118 grams marijuana, 4 grams coke • One victim a UD football player

mainejeff
March 6th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Wow.

:p

Bub
March 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
18 vials of steroids. Would that be more than for personal use? Will this gives the NCAA reasonable grounds to test UD players?

LacesOut
March 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Dang, it made Fox Sports.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5386746

henfan
March 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM
911, please send an officer quickly. Someone just held me at gunpoint and took my drugs and steroids.

Does this story sound odd?

Kill'em
March 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I agree with previous posters that there is likely a good deal more to this story than has been reported. I'm afraid this might get even uglier once we learn of the particulars.

We Delaware fans like to talk about the relative cleanliness of the football program - maybe UD has just been fortunate to avoid the really bad apples in the past. This is a huge embarrassment. If guilty, may the get everything that is coming to them.
Don't take this as a reflection on the UD football program. I think you'll find this goes on a lot more than most think. UD's reputation will not take a hit... at least as far as my opinion goes.

colgate13
March 6th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I'm just waiting to see how long it takes some loser on the Colgate board to post this and make snide remarks about UD... there are a few alums with an unhealthy hatred... :(

th0m
March 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
:confused: :eyebrow: :confused:

I guess you have to be Dutch to understand ;)

foghorn
March 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM
911, please send an officer quickly. Someone just held me at gunpoint and took my drugs and steroids.

Does this story sound odd?

I guess the 3 perpetrators thought it was easy pickins since nobody would be stupid enough to 'drop a dime' (Law and Order jargon) on themselves.:nonono2:

umassfan
March 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
And people give us crap about taking prop 48 kids... at least they dont rob fellow football players at gunpoint to get their roids and other drugs... sucks to be a delaware fan or related to delaware football right about now.

dbackjon
March 6th, 2006, 05:28 PM
And people give us crap about taking prop 48 kids... at least they dont rob fellow football players at gunpoint to get their roids and other drugs... sucks to be a delaware fan or related to delaware football right about now.

Should have known......

Every program is going to get a few bad apples. The true measure of a program is how it handles the bad apples. If the allegations are true, and any of these guys even sniff a Delaware uniform in the future, then fire away - but judging from the Delaware responses, you will have to get in line behind them....

Maverick
March 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM
UMassfan,
I know how much you feel picked on here on this board, but that doesn't justify your comments. When all you can do is whine about how mistreated you are and then rip them like they are a "criminal" factory says far more about your immaturity than their program. The UD response was exactly what would have happened at UMass I bet. I don't particularly like UD or some of the posters here, but the university and athletic department handled it very well. By comparing the admission of Prop 48s to criminal behavior you show how desparate you are to seek revenge. How can you talk about other posters when you are showing how low you are willing to go to just to feed your own ego. Look at all the responses prior to you. In this case they showed some class, but you only showed your ass!!!

RadMann
March 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM
As an alumnus I am offended by the behavior of these students for the tarnish they have placed on the institution. Nothing can excuse that sort of very serious criminal activity. They have brought great damage and disrepute to the University in the eyes of alumni, students, members of the Newark and wider community and potential future students and their families. This sort of behavior is also greatly hurtful to other members of the football team as it casts a disparaging light on all team members and the entire football program unjustly. I have a very bad taste in my mouth right now and have never had this sort of feeling as a fan of the program since I was 7 years old.

That is my opinion on this matter.

blukeys
March 6th, 2006, 07:09 PM
As an alumnus I am offended by the behavior of these students for the tarnish they have placed on the institution. Nothing can excuse that sort of very serious criminal activity. They have brought great damage and disrepute to the University in the eyes of alumni, students, members of the Newark and wider community and potential future students and their families. This sort of behavior is also greatly hurtful to other members of the football team as it casts a disparaging light on all team members and the entire football program unjustly. I have a very bad taste in my mouth right now and have never had this sort of feeling as a fan of the program since I was 7 years old.

That is my opinion on this matter.

I agree with all of the above and believe that the folks who will unfairly pay the price are the decent football players on the team who will be associated with this incident by the fact that they are on the team at the time this occurred. Like Radman I became a Hen fan at a very early age at my father's side. I'm glad he isn't around for this day. :(

March 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I guess that supposed freshman walk-on can forget about playing college ball huh? : smh :

blukeys
March 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I guess that supposed freshman walk-on can forget about playing college ball huh? : smh :

He had already been kicked off prior to the robbery.

Go...gate
March 6th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Don't let this episode diminish your faith in the UD program. Your school never needed your support like it does now, and your administration has really been forthright in handling this. In contrast, if it had happened at Ohio State, everybody would have been pointing a finger at somebody else.

umassfan
March 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
UMassfan,
I know how much you feel picked on here on this board, but that doesn't justify your comments. When all you can do is whine about how mistreated you are and then rip them like they are a "criminal" factory says far more about your immaturity than their program. The UD response was exactly what would have happened at UMass I bet. I don't particularly like UD or some of the posters here, but the university and athletic department handled it very well. By comparing the admission of Prop 48s to criminal behavior you show how desparate you are to seek revenge. How can you talk about other posters when you are showing how low you are willing to go to just to feed your own ego. Look at all the responses prior to you. In this case they showed some class, but you only showed your ass!!!

No it just goes to show more in my favor of what im trying to say... accepting someone because they might not be the smartest person in the world is much better then accepting stupid criminals who are good in the classroom. This is the second year in a row their football team has had someone arrested off the field for theft. Im not saying they arent handing the problems correct(because they are... i give them props for that) but its decisions their coach is making for players they bring into the program. UD fans could correct me if im wrong here but Tubby did not have this problem correct?

Fordham
March 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
... accepting someone because they might not be the smartest person in the world is much better then accepting stupid criminals who are good in the classroom.

Why do you see UMASS' options as being between bad students and bad people? (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rationalization)

Good luck getting through this UD fans.

blukeys
March 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
No it just goes to show more in my favor of what im trying to say... accepting someone because they might not be the smartest person in the world is much better then accepting stupid criminals who are good in the classroom. This is the second year in a row their football team has had someone arrested off the field for theft. Im not saying they arent handing the problems correct(because they are... i give them props for that) but its decisions their coach is making for players they bring into the program. UD fans could correct me if im wrong here but Tubby did not have this problem correct?

No way the two incidents are comparable Umassfan. The one student basically got caught stealing textbooks! (Which could have been paid for on his scolly!!) He is no longer with the team. This "criminal" has had no more probems with the law or the school and I expect he will not have more as he returned home where he is more comfortable.

This incident is much more serious and is truly criminal behavior. You might be well advised to wait for all the facts to come out before you dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Maverick
March 6th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Umassfan,
How did you know that they were criminals before UD accepted them? As to UMass football players, based on what you are saying do you know that none of them have been involved in illegal activity and removed from the program? How about guys that were kicked off the team for stealing things from the program but never charged with anything? Before you start hurling things at UD, be sure that your program is squeaky clean or you are just a cheap-shot taking hypocrite. You wonder why people seem to always "attack " you? This is a good example. This isn't about UMass FB or UD FB it is about you and your need for attention. Next thing you will say in your defense will be about all of those times that UD fans ganged up on you and because of that you are justified in your little rant. I would hope that you are the exception as a UMass fan. It is people like you who put the "ASS" in UMass!!!

blukeys
March 6th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Umassfan,
I would hope that you are the exception as a UMass fan.

He is. :)

colgate13
March 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
What comes around goes around Umassfan. Grow up a little and you might learn that.

DTSpider
March 6th, 2006, 08:55 PM
This is really awful for the UD faithful. It's also ashame for 4 young men to throw away an opportunity to get a good education. I hope that UD is able to recover and heal this black eye. It'll take time, but if the fans here are any indication of the type of people who are at UD, then this behavior will not be excused. The sad news is that with 4 players involved with drugs, money & firearms the unfortunate reality is that more people may be involved. I hope that it's not true, but rarely are these isolated incidents. I imagine UD will really take a look at the others in the program and clean house of anyone else who is a bad seed. They are too good of a school for this to happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 6th, 2006, 09:00 PM
My heart goes out to all the UD fans on this one. : smh :

I am getting worried about the accusations of steriods, though. Is that confirmed? IMO, as bad as the actions of 3 knuckledragging idiots were, it's the steroid thing that bothers me the most. Were they using? Were other folks using?

I'm not saying I beleive that UD has juiced-up players, but when football players are robbing someone else and getting steroids in return... this is bad. Especially if they are dealing...

colgate13
March 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM
It's all bad LFN - and there are plenty of knuckleheads getting juiced up that have zero athletic talent but want big biceps for the beach this summer.

There may be smoke if there is fire, but i'm not jumping to that conclusion here yet.

ngineer
March 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I hope UD is able to get through this without any more fallout. Despite the 'near rivalry' Lehigh has with Delaware, there has also been a grudging respect for their success and quality of the program. My uncle played for Nelson and I was recruited by Tubby, so I've always had a positive view of the Hens; they have held the banner of mid-size college football well and especially in the East. However, I cannot help but make 'slight' razzing of my 'blue' friends with the following question: Does this mean the Delaware will abandon the shotgun this year? Sorry, couldn't help it. I will sit myself in the corner.:asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: ;)

DE92
March 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Does this mean the Delaware will abandon the shotgun this year? Sorry, couldn't help it. I will sit myself in the corner.:asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: ;)

Thanks I needed a laugh. :)

blukeys
March 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I hope UD is able to get through this without any more fallout. Despite the 'near rivalry' Lehigh has with Delaware, there has also been a grudging respect for their success and quality of the program. My uncle played for Nelson and I was recruited by Tubby, so I've always had a positive view of the Hens; they have held the banner of mid-size college football well and especially in the East. However, I cannot help but make 'slight' razzing of my 'blue' friends with the following question: Does this mean the Delaware will abandon the shotgun this year? Sorry, couldn't help it. I will sit myself in the corner.:asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: ;)

It seems that KC was getting near the bottom of this issue as the "victim" in this robbery had been informed by KC that he was being kicked off the team last week. Obviously, there are no details on this but it is safe to say that UD will not tolerate this nor will we tolerate an athletic administration that allows this to be the pattern.

The basis for all of UD athletics is Dave Nelson who had an unflinching commitment to students and academics first. There is no question what "the Admiral" would have done and there is no question what the administration should do here.

The repercussions for this are more serious than the screwed up field problem of '05.

While we can't baby sit these guys 24-7. Maybe we didn't know them as well as we thought and this is a problem. The involvement of Danny Jones just blows my mind as we was Highly recommended by his High School Coaches in Philly where we have successfully recruited in the past.

The story may not be as bad as it looks today (and it looks really bad). When all the facts come out maybe some of those involved will not have been as criminally liable as others. Nonetheless, this is the worst black eye UD has ever gotten in the off season.

Those of us who are fans will not accept a criminal element no matter how it helps the bottom line. I think the UD administration agrees with us. If they don't they will hear from us. :mad:

mainejeff
March 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM
What comes around goes around Umassfan. Grow up a little and you might learn that.

That's what I always told a certain Delaware fan when 2 Maine players were accused of rape and Stephen Cooper was stopped with steroids in his vehicle. I guess it came true........

WMTribe90
March 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
This stinks. I feel for the UD fans. I especially feel for the UD football players that will be unfairly guilty by association. I don't believe this is representative of the of UD football program. It does serve as a reminder to all football programs that they need to recruit good people and not just good athletes. I'm not saying UD knowing recruited "bad apples" and its fine line between taking on a liabilty and giving a player a chance to overcome tough circumstances. Just really hate to see a story like this one. Kudos for the way UD has handled this to date. Lastly, I am also troubled by the presence of steroids in a players apartment. I hope that's as far as it goes, but sometimes selling and using go hand in hand. Again, hope I'm wrong.

youwouldno
March 7th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Man, they had a LOT of weed. Anyone with that much is dealing. And the cocaine of course... and guns...

To me, you have to wonder how much other players knew about the lifestyles of these guys. If they were aware of serious issues, it's not good that a serious crime had to occur for the problem to be addressed.

lucchesicourt
March 7th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I actually feel more sympathy to the fans and athletes of the UD institution. It puts a blemish on their great institution, and it has NOTHING to do with either them or UD. It is about a few young men making poor choices, and that should not reflect on the school or its athletes. There is no doubt that a criminal element exists in our society, and it happens at all levels because of greed,envy,racial prejudice,etc. This is no exception and I feel sorry for the UD fans and students. This should have no bearing on an institution that has also put out its fair share of exellent citizens,

Umass74
March 7th, 2006, 06:58 AM
What comes around goes around Umassfan. Grow up a little and you might learn that

Didn't take long. UMass basketball's Stefan Lasme (just named the A10 Defensive-player-of-the-year) was arrested after an altercation with police.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1141702737187850.xml&coll=1

lucchesicourt
March 7th, 2006, 07:29 AM
An incident like this and he is still with the team. it makes you wonder I guess when it is one of your best players, and the season is ongoing, it let's us know that winning is more important than the real issues. I am not saying he is guilty, but usually when someone is arrested, they are suspended pending the outcome of the situation.
When a UCD athlete was arrested for credit card fraud, he was immediately suspended from the team (this was done before the trial).
What is the reason UMass did not suspend him, any ideas?

Umass74
March 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM
An incident like this and he is still with the team. it makes you wonder I guess when it is one of your best players, and the season is ongoing, it let's us know that winning is more important than the real issues. I am not saying he is guilty, but usually when someone is arrested, they are suspended pending the outcome of the situation.
When a UCD athlete was arrested for credit card fraud, he was immediately suspended from the team (this was done before the trial).
What is the reason UMass did not suspend him, any ideas?

No Idea. Could have been some kind of traffic incident. "Resisting Arrest" can mean just arguing with the officer. He's from Gabon and maybe he didn't know American procedure.

The Amherst Police are well versed with handling students and players. In the past, if an arrest was something serious, the player was immediately suspended from the team. If it is a traffic problem, he's the third basketball player this year with driving related stops (driving with an expired licence, etc).

Pards Rule
March 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
So far I am impressed with how UD and Coach Keeler have handled this. All have been suspended from the team and must leave campus immediately. Can anyone provide link to Wilmington News-Journal?

LacesOut
March 7th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Today's UD stories.......http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

eaglesrthe1
March 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM
That's what I always told a certain Delaware fan when 2 Maine players were accused of rape and Stephen Cooper was stopped with steroids in his vehicle. I guess it came true........

Big difference here. When Cooper informed the staff of his arrest, they attempted to keep it on the low down.:eyebrow:

Hey coach...I just got pinched for a 1000 roids in my trunk!:eek:
Don't sweat it Coop... Boys will be boys xcoffeex

henfan
March 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Not to get all maudlin on you but, as a UD alumn and I-AA fan, it really means a lot when you read the words of encouragement and support in a tough time like this, especially when it's coming from fans of rival schools like Lehigh, Colgate, W&M, Richmond, Lafayette, UNH, JMU, and GSU. A huge thanks to the guys at Fordham, NAU, and UCD also. You guys are great examples of why I-AA fans are a cut above the rest.

A heartfelt thanks.

Umass74
March 7th, 2006, 10:08 AM
No Idea. Could have been some kind of traffic incident. "Resisting Arrest" can mean just arguing with the officer. He's from Gabon and maybe he didn't know American procedure.

The Amherst Police are well versed with handling students and players. In the past, if an arrest was something serious, the player was immediately suspended from the team. If it is a traffic problem, he's the third basketball player this year with driving related stops (driving with an expired licence, etc).

According to the rumor, Lasme got his face slapped at a bar. He took exception and started yelling at the woman involved. The cops were called. They told him to cool off and take it outside. He didn't. They put the cuffs on him. He was booked and released. No decision on if the charges will be dropped AFAIK at this time.

Delaware Ghostrider II
March 7th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I am so disgusted at these three!:mad: Like so many others have said...they had thier degrees waiting to be handed to them! Being a season ticket holder myself ...I am just at a loss for words. All three of these gentleman were tremendous athletes. It just boggles one's mind to see such talented people piss everything away for about $400.00 in cash and some drugs! After seeing Danny play I thought that someday he would be remembered as one of the best running backs to come out of UD. Now all of that...SHOT! Funny connection though...I , being an officer with the Delaware Department of corrections, can tell you....All four would rather be in school and back on the field (for the three players) then doing time in Gander Hill prison (Young Correctional Facility). If they ARE found guilty then I hope that they will recieve the harshest penalty that the state can slap on them. Echoing again...they had everything and threw it all away for a little bit of cash and drugs!?!?!?!? Personally I look fo rthem to plead guilty( as many have done before) and get a slap on the wrist. Bottom line ...Kids these days just have no friggin sense!! Athletes from all across the country are CONSTANTLY doing the same ****...and I don't understand it. Look at Owens the Navy QB.......I repeat the NAVY QB.....charged with rape....cmon...you are the starting QB for one of the finest military academies in the world!!!.....could probaly pick up chicks a dime a dozen and you resort to rape!!!! Then these retards shaking down a fellow student....and a fellow teammate at that!!!! Still shaking my head in disbelief......:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

MR. CHICKEN
March 7th, 2006, 10:54 AM
UH SAD TIME IN NEWARK!..............:bawling:...........ER...UH.. ..UM.......awk!

ACCORDIN' TA DUH JOURNAL......DUH ALLEDGED 18 VIALS O' ROID JUICE.....HAVE NOT BEEN RECOVERED.............BRAWK!

DO DUH 'ROIDS REALLY EXIST?......WERE DEY HANDED OFF TA OTHERAHS?..................:confused:............. .........AWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
March 7th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I don't know what really happened, but one thing's for sure - this isn't going to be a cut-and-dried thing. This is going to linger. There are just too many questions, and not enough answers.

* What were two football players doing with multiple guns - and double-gauge shotguns - in their homes?
* The guy being robbed is painting himself as a victim, but what was he doing with 101 grams of marijuana individually wrapped in 59 packages?
* Are steroids involved? At least one player - the victim who was a Delaware walk-on - admits to having 18 vials of steroids for "personal use". That can't be true, can it?

I'm no lawyer, but everyone involved in this crime appears to have serious credibility issues. I can't say who's telling the truth or not. It's going to take time to figure this out... and to see if this is an isolated thing (which I, and everyone else here, is praying for), or an indicator of something worse.

Keeler did the right thing in expelling these knuckleheads immediately. I hope for Delaware (and I-AA's sake) that it only gets sunnier from here, and that this incident comes to a swift and definitive conclusion.

Cap'n Cat
March 7th, 2006, 03:39 PM
"Demetrius Alexander, Daniel Jones, Jeffrey Robinson, and Tyrone Heggins,

Dem there boys don't sound like dere from Minnesota, ya know dere?

http://www.district1ofsc.ca/aboutusphoto.jpg

UD77
March 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I don't know what really happened, but one thing's for sure - this isn't going to be a cut-and-dried thing. This is going to linger. There are just too many questions, and not enough answers.

* What were two football players doing with multiple guns - and double-gauge shotguns - in their homes?
* The guy being robbed is painting himself as a victim, but what was he doing with 101 grams of marijuana individually wrapped in 59 packages?
* Are steroids involved? At least one player - the victim who was a Delaware walk-on - admits to having 18 vials of steroids for "personal use". That can't be true, can it?

I'm no lawyer, but everyone involved in this crime appears to have serious credibility issues. I can't say who's telling the truth or not. It's going to take time to figure this out... and to see if this is an isolated thing (which I, and everyone else here, is praying for), or an indicator of something worse.

Keeler did the right thing in expelling these knuckleheads immediately. I hope for Delaware (and I-AA's sake) that it only gets sunnier from here, and that this incident comes to a swift and definitive conclusion.

From what I have read:
1. The victim did have steroids - purchased from a local gym - as far as I know they are not illegal. He did not have or admit to other drugs. Other things were taken from him, cash, I-pods, ID, etc. Not completely sure of the status as to actually being on the football team. His name does not appear anywhere. He is not on the team as we speak that is for sure. My view of this guy and there is no proof of this at all - most likely not a top prospect to play but wants to badly so he tries to improve his size and performance with chemical help.
2. The bags of maryjane actually belonged to Alexander (according to the News Journal). Alexander was a player and was expected to be the starting middle LB this year. I believe he also had the gun. It would appear to me that he was doing some dealing but who knows. I would think that it would take a pretty good lawyer to get him off with all the evidence against him. T
3. Positive thing is how the administration is responding to this issue. I think that they will really do some soul searching and will not bury this issue. The strength coach for UD was quoted as flatly stating that there is not a steroid problem at UD. He based this on the behavoir, comparitive growth etc. of the kids. I hope it is true. I would expect that they will be checking everyone to put this issue behind us.

Bub
March 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Pretty sure steroids bought at a gym are illegal. They're available legally only by prescription from a doctor.

In Iowa illegal poss of anabolic steroid is punishable by 10 yrs in prison.

Umass74
March 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Sports Illustrated has an article out. This version says two of the players were armed with shotguns

SI Article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/03/07/bc.fbc.playersarrested.ap/index.html)

pitpen
March 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Sports Illustrated has an article out. This version says two of the players were armed with shotguns

SI Article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/03/07/bc.fbc.playersarrested.ap/index.html)

It says 2 of the suspects were armed with guns. From everything I've read, the non football player had a gun. I'm not sure which player is believed to have had a gun--most stories have reported only one gun.

March 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Police report:
http://www.delawareonline.com/assets/pdf/BL2101836.PDF

Jaxhen
March 7th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Not to get all maudlin on you but, as a UD alumn and I-AA fan, it really means a lot when you read the words of encouragement and support in a tough time like this, especially when it's coming from fans of rival schools like Lehigh, Colgate, W&M, Richmond, Lafayette, UNH, JMU, and GSU. A huge thanks to the guys at Fordham, NAU, and UCD also. You guys are great examples of why I-AA fans are a cut above the rest.

A heartfelt thanks.

I second that. It means a lot to hear the many words of support and encouragement. This incident has enraged Delaware fans as evident by the many postings on Delaware's board. As a Delaware alum and longtime fan of the football program since I was in grade school, I was stunned and shocked by what happened, then furious at what these guys did to a great school, the past and present players, past and present coaching staff, and the fans. You just don't expect something like this to happen at a school that has always prided itself in running a clean program and one that values academics and character in its players. Although I've been proud of what Delaware has accomplished on the field, I've been most proud of the integrity of the program. I hope and pray this was an isolated incident, and I fully expect the coaching staff and administration to take swift and proactive action. The fans of this program will demand it.

Go...gate
March 7th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Delaware will survive this and move onward and upward.

UD is simply not an outlaw school (on the contrary, it is a model I-AA program) and those kids were just damned stupid to do what they did. Your administrators were absolutely right in taking swift action.

Also, the basic integrity of the UD program was built over generations, and three (four?) knuckleheads cannot take that away.

GannonFan
March 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I agree - Delaware has been a prestigious football program since at least the Bill Murray (not the comedian) days in the 40's, and it isn't about to change overnight. Although KC comes off as very flippant and arrogant to a lot of people, from day 1 he's taken a real strong approach to discipline and responsibility - heck, he even suspended the only kicker on the team before the JMU game last year because he was a few minutes late to a team breakfast (UD then proceeded to go for two on every touchdown and go for it on 4th downs where FG's normally would've been kicked). These 3 guys were stupid beyond belief, and they will be paying for this act of stupidity for the rest of their lives. But they were only 2% or so of the current Delaware team - the other 98% will determine how UD comes out of this and how Delaware is viewed going forward. Based on the strong reaction the university and the community have had to this incident, I feel pretty good that this will be remembered as an isolated blemish on an otherwise outstanding image.

GannonFan
March 8th, 2006, 08:00 AM
BTW, here's a story from today's paper with KC. Nothing else new to report that hasn't already been said.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060308/SPORTS07/603080343/1002

SunCoastBlueHen
March 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM
BTW, here's a story from today's paper with KC. Nothing else new to report that hasn't already been said.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060308/SPORTS07/603080343/1002

The thing I found interesting in the article was the shock felt by former coaches and associates that Danny Jones was involved. He was described as a seemingly good kid. This tells me that there may have been one really bad apple in the group who managed to coax a couple of kids with possibly weaker personalities into his world.

Let's hope that this was the case and that the removal of the bad apple will allow the team to now bear healthy fruit.

blukeys
March 8th, 2006, 09:18 AM
The thing I found interesting in the article was the shock felt by former coaches and associates that Danny Jones was involved. He was described as a seemingly good kid. This tells me that there may have been one really bad apple in the group who managed to coax a couple of kids with possibly weaker personalities into his world.

Let's hope that this was the case and that the removal of the bad apple will allow the team to now bear healthy fruit.

His High School St. Joe's Prep is one of the better schools in Philly. It was also Rich Gannon's alma mater.

njhoya
March 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
read in this morning's ledger that the Ohio State kicker was just let BACK on the team as a walk-on after being indicted for drug trafficking. I guess Tressel wasn't as decisive as Keeler.

colgate13
March 8th, 2006, 10:37 AM
read in this morning's ledger that the Ohio State kicker was just let BACK on the team as a walk-on after being indicted for drug trafficking. I guess Tressel wasn't as decisive as Keeler.

And that is the difference we are all applauding UD for. You can't always control the actions of college students, but you CAN control the programs reaction.

Pards Rule
March 8th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Second wholeheartedly 13...I wasn't impressed with Tressel since I read some of the Clarett doings & school nonchalance. Hope he's satisfied with his bogus national championship (pass interference? NO WAY!!)

Cap'n Cat
March 8th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Agreed. Delaware is a straight-up place with an honorable athletics program.

Kill'em
March 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Second wholeheartedly 13...I wasn't impressed with Tressel since I read some of the Clarett doings & school nonchalance. Hope he's satisfied with his bogus national championship (pass interference? NO WAY!!)
All I-A "National Championships" are bogus.

GtFllsGriz
March 8th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Hang in there UD fans. This event is no reflection on the Hens. I have been in law enforcement for 33 years and can tell you we have an epidemic going on out there. Morals, values and the lack of consquences for ones actions are deteriorating our young society. UD today, somewhere else tomorrow.

It appears they are being dealt with accordingly and there will be consquences this time for their very poor judgement.

It is so refreshing to see their behavior blasted by UD fans and support given by I-AA fans. The Hens will take a hit but they will rebound stronger for it for showing student athletes around the nation that a strong majority of students and supporters do not tolerate drugs and violence. Good for you!!

Kill'em
March 8th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I think we'll find that there are few schools that have never had a scandal. UD is a class institution and this will not tarnish it. What it might do is improve their reputation by showing they will not tolerate such acts. The school should be commended if handled properly, which it sounds like they have.

GannonFan
March 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Another note, although not in the paper yet, is that KC has instituted a new team rule regarding where scholarship players may live. Now all freshman and sophomore scholarship players must live in on-campus housing. Only after their sophomore year can they live off campus if they choose to. At least 2 if not all 3 of the players involved in the most recent incident lived in housing in a very disreputable part of Newark, known for it's parties and somewhat questionable residents. I would expect more rules like this to guard against anything like this happening again.

Cap'n Cat
March 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Another note, although not in the paper yet, is that KC has instituted a new team rule regarding where scholarship players may live. Now all freshman and sophomore scholarship players must live in on-campus housing. Only after their sophomore year can they live off campus if they choose to. At least 2 if not all 3 of the players involved in the most recent incident lived in housing in a very disreputable part of Newark, known for it's parties and somewhat questionable residents. I would expect more rules like this to guard against anything like this happening again.

Thought that rule sucked when I was in college. Then I grew up and saw the wisdom.

GannonFan
March 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
For those who care, the attached is a link the the thread on gohens.net - KC and the team's strength and conditioning coach stopped by last night at a get together of gohens.net posters and talked about the football program and obviously the incident over the weekend. Makes for good reading. Apparently KC even made the comment that one of the guys involved was so well thought of by the coaches that he even babysat for now-Hofstra head coach Cohen's kids.

http://www.gohens.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1651

March 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM
For those who care, the attached is a link the the thread on gohens.net - KC and the team's strength and conditioning coach stopped by last night at a get together of gohens.net posters and talked about the football program and obviously the incident over the weekend. Makes for good reading. Apparently KC even made the comment that one of the guys involved was so well thought of by the coaches that he even babysat for now-Hofstra head coach Cohen's kids.

http://www.gohens.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1651AGS member Foghorn posted this update:
...The 1st thing KC talked about was the robbery, of course. He was very straight and open, no dodging bullets. He expressed his astonishment and said he felt that he failed as a 'parent' since he considers his players as his family. Effective immediately, no frosh or soph football players will be allowed to live off campus.

KC said that 2 days in a row, Omar came to talk to him with tears in his eyes, because he thought he somehow failed Danny Jones as a mentor. KC explained all that is done to try to determine a player's character before he's offered. KC said that given the same circumstances, he would give Danny Jones and Demetrice Alexander schollies today. He left out Jeff Robinson though, which may or may not imply something.

KC and Jay Beaulieu both expounded on the evils of steroids and how it can destroy a person. It is not and will not be tolerated...