PDA

View Full Version : More UNH reaction to UMass

aceinthehole
April 22nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.tnhonline.com/sports/rival-umass-bolts-to-fbs-1.2189237

For UNH Football head coach Sean McDonnell, the move came with little surprise.

"It wasn't a surprise or shock," McDonnell said. "It's something they've been talking about for ten years at the University of Massachusetts. I think that their administration was able to put the pieces together that they needed to, especially by getting Gillette to act as their home stadium to play games in."

Athletic Director Marty Scarano also wasn't particularly fazed by the news.

"I've known this was a possibility for the better part of a year now," Scarano said. "Confidentially, I've been having discussions with not only the commissioner of the CAA but my colleagues in the CAA as well. Simultaneously, I've had discussions with other athletic directors of other FBS schools."

While the move won't take full effect until 2012, it could hold serious implications for the continuation of the historic UNH-UMass rivalry.

"Next year, we don't know what's going on," McDonnell said. "We haven't been in conversation with UMass yet regarding that matter, but if we get the opportunity we would like to play them. We're not sure what's going to happen, however, especially without them in the CAA anymore."

Deputy Athletic Director Steve Metcalf feels as if this FBS move will all but spell the end of UNH-UMass football games.

"They're a traditional rival for us, but now it's unlikely that we're going to be playing them anymore," Metcalf said.

Faced with the possibility of losing two inter-conference rivals, Scarano referred to an interesting metaphor to describe the situation.

"It kind of feels like we're on an iceberg, and we're in the Indian Ocean and the ice is melting around us," Scarano said.

With other teams leaving, that begs the question: would UNH ever consider a move out of the CAA conference?

"I think it's far-fetched," McDonnell said. "I think that we're in the best conference in the country."

Scarano mirrored the thoughts of the head football coach.

"What our intent has always been is to be affiliated with great schools, which we feel we are in the CAA, and to compete at the highest level and for a national championship," Scarano said. "We've done it at the highest odds, given the fact that our facilities are so much poorer than everybody else's. This is exactly where we belong, and we're happy staying here."

Scarano didn't rule out the possibility of a move if necessary, however, though he does feel such a thought is very unlikely.

"In a nutshell, we've been very proactive in not only sustaining what we do in the CAA but also having contingency plans if, in fact, [a move is] necessary," Scarano said. "Our main intent is to stay in the CAA, however; to make the CAA whole again, if you would, which would mean bringing some northern teams into the fold. Basically, we're doing the very best we can to maintain what we do, and there's no sense that we aren't going to go forward in a dynamic, positive way like we've been doing."

aceinthehole
April 22nd, 2011, 09:10 AM
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110421/SPORTS/104210369/-1/NEWSMAP

With seven straight appearances in the NCAA playoffs — with six of those trips reaching the national quarterfinals — UNH is enjoying the best run of success in its history. But now, with another close-proximity CAA team leaving, it might be forced to re-evaluate its position.

"I'd obviously advocate looking for potential league members in the Northeast," said UNH athletics director Marty Scarano. "I think the league, as a whole, is going to have to address this now that it's official."

CAA commissioner Tom Yeager, who's been publicly complimentary of UNH over the years, both its standing in the league and its on-field success, was diplomatic in his remarks Wednesday, saying he was "disappointed these long-standing rivalries will cease" but wishing the Minutemen the best as they transition to FBS.

So what's the best UNH can hope for in this latest shifting of the landscape? That the CAA looks north to expand. But that might not be realistic, or even wanted by a league that sponsors 22 sports — most notably men's basketball — and whose all-sport members include just two, Northeastern and Hofstra, in New England and New York.

Simply put, it's as true now as it was when the CAA took control of the league from the Atlantic-10 before the 2007 season: To compete at the highest level of the classification, UNH and Maine need the CAA more than the CAA needs UNH and Maine.

But right now, each posed the question, Scarano and McDonnell said the same thing: They want the CAA. Not another league, not less travel, but a seat at the table in the premier league in FCS.

Wildcat80
April 22nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm happy with UNH's reaction.....except for the comment about facilities which we know. What UNH fans want to hear is something getting done!

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 22nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
I'm happy with UNH's reaction.....except for the comment about facilities which we know. What UNH fans want to hear is something getting done!

Any ideas how to fund it?

Brad82
April 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
The TNH article/editorial is crap. Going non-schollie? The Patriot League ?
No reference to Fordham's situation ? Maine and UNH only schools to offer schollies in NE for FB ? What about CCSU and URI? Aren't there others ?
Money saved in FB scholarships might possibly be re-directed to start other D-1 sports programs ? Author is probably a UMASS fan or has a daughter who is field hockey player.