PDA

View Full Version : Trophy Games-Rivalry Games

I-AA Fan
March 6th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I know this topic has been covered many times. However, I am interested in your greatest, longest rivals. Particularly if it is a "named" game and/or has a trophy involved. When did it start? What is the current record? Has it been played recently?

Tribe4SF
March 6th, 2006, 07:04 AM
W&M and Richmond.

The I-64 Bowl

Always the last game of the season. The South's oldest Rivalry. W&M leads 59-51-5.

Pard94
March 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Lafayette vs. Lehigh "The Game"
College Football's Most Played Rivalry
First meeting was in 1884
Next year marks the 142 contest.
Overall record - Lafayette leads 74-62-5

Look for the Leopard dominance to continue next year!

HiHiYikas
March 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM
W&M and Richmond.

The I-64 Bowl

Always the last game of the season. The South's oldest Rivalry. W&M leads 59-51-5.
Couldn't they come up with a better name, or is "The South's Oldest Rivalry" the official name?

At 115 meetings, the matchup must predate I-64 by decades.

Incidentally, I'm curious about the trophies (or "trophies") that get passed from school to school in these games, especially if it's something out of the ordinary (say, a gian yellow moonshine jug.)

March 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Not all have trophies but this is from the I-AA.org 2004 Fall Preview Magazine...

Top Division I-AA Rivalries
By Sean Brennan

Did you know…

…That the 3 most played rivalries in all of college football are between teams currently in Division I-AA?
…That only 1 Division I-A rivalry even cracks the top 10 most-played?
…That Yale has played Princeton more often than Harvard?

College Football’s Most-Played Rivalries
#1 Lafayette vs. Lehigh, 139 games
#2 Princeton vs. Yale, 126 games
#3 Harvard vs. Yale, 120 games
#4 Amherst vs. Williams, 118 games
#5 Albion vs. Kalamazoo, 117 games
#6 Knox vs. Monmouth, 115 games
Bowdoin vs. Colby, 115 games
#8 Richmond vs. Wm & Mary, 113 games
Minnesota vs. Wisconsin, 113 games
Coe vs. Cornell (IA), 113 games

#1 HARVARD vs. YALE
”The Game”
First Meeting: 1875
Claim to Fame: 3rd most-played rivalry in all of college football and one of the oldest.

#2 LAFAYETTE vs. LEHIGH
First Meeting: 1884
Claim to Fame: Most Played Rivalry in all of College Football (139 games)

#3 GRAMBLING STATE vs. SOUTHERN
”The Bayou Classic”
First Meeting: 1933
Claim to Fame: The Original HBCU Classic

#4 MONTANA vs. MONTANA STATE
”The Brawl of the Wild”
First Meeting: 1897
Trophy: Great Divide

#5 BETHUNE-COOKMAN vs. FLORIDA A&M
”The Florida Classic”
First Meeting: 1925
Claim to Fame: At least last year… The Biggest Game in I-AA (Attendance: 73,358)

#6 THE CITADEL vs. VIRGINIA MILITARY INSTITUTE
”The Military Classic of the South”
First Meeting: 1920
Trophy: The Silver Shako
Claim to Fame: I-AA’s version of the “Army-Navy” Game

#7 NORTHWESTERN STATE vs. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
”The Battle for Chief Caddo”
First Meeting: 1924
Trophy: Chief Caddo
Claim to Fame: Largest trophy in college football

#8 RICHMOND vs. WILLIAM & MARY
”The Oldest Rivalry in the South”
First Meeting: 1898
Claim to Fame: Oldest Rivalry in the South (and 4th oldest in Division I)

#9 APPALACHIAN STATE vs. WESTERN CAROLINA
”The Battle for the Old Mountain Jug”
First Meeting: 1932
Trophy: The Old Mountain Jug

#10 EASTERN KENTUCKY vs. WESTERN KENTUCKY
”The Battle of the Bluegrass”
First Meeting: 1914

AmsterBison
March 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM
North Dakota State and South Dakota State have been playing since 1903 - however, it's going to take another couple years before they meet for the 100th time due to wars and whatnot. By the 100th game, it should finally be fitting to be list it with these other rivalries.

Played 92 times, 50-37-5 in North Dakota State's favor. Now it's a trophy game (apparently the first 90 games were just practice) - the Dakota Marker, a 230-lb deal that looks to me like a fossilized turd*. Both teams have won it once.

If the two other flagships in the Dakotas move up, that'll be two more long-played rivalry games. North Dakota State v U of North Dakota, started in 1894, played 110 times), play for the Nickel Trophy. South Dakota State v U of South Dakota started even earlier (not sure when it started but I think they played 105 times).

* Which is not to say that I don't like it - trophies in trophy games are not supposed to be pretty.

FargoBison
March 6th, 2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/afrotc/nickeltrophy.jpg
Here is a picture of the Nickel Trophy that NDSU and UND played for and may potentially play for again if UND ever moves up to IAA. Here is a link to a recent article about UND and why they should move up by Kent Schimdt of I-AA.org http://http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=76516

And the Dakota Maker(NDSU-SDSU) can be seen down below in my signature.

UNH 40
March 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM
UNH vs Maine Play in the last game of the season every year for the Bryce Cowell Musket. It is a musket that was used in the Civil War. The winner brings it home and hangs it in their locker room until the match up the following season.

ngineer
March 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Lafayette vs. Lehigh "The Game"
College Football's Most Played Rivalry
First meeting was in 1884
Next year marks the 142 contest.
Overall record - Lafayette leads 74-62-5

Look for the Leopard dominance to continue next year!

Obviously made to get a retort. So I will. A 52.5% winning percentage over 141 games does not equate with 'dominance.' Each school has had it's share of 'runs', but in terms of a dominant era, I think one must look in terms of 10 year spans. Winning two of the last three, with the latest being on a 'hail mary' is dominance only to those whistling in the dark.:rolleyes:

ngineer
March 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Rather than "quote" your entire post, I'll save space and note that Lehigh and Lafayette have played each other 141 times, not 139. I think even my spotted bretheran to the East will agree that we do not take kindly to any attempts to lessen the historic thread of this Game.;) :nod:

Pard94
March 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM
[/B]

Obviously made to get a retort. So I will. A 52.5% winning percentage over 141 games does not equate with 'dominance.' Each school has had it's share of 'runs', but in terms of a dominant era, I think one must look in terms of 10 year spans. Winning two of the last three, with the latest being on a 'hail mary' is dominance only to those whistling in the dark.:rolleyes:

Surely you're not suggesting we discount all of the close games? You could also say that winning 2 out of the last three is a 66 2/3% winning percentage. Dominant! Nice to have Lehigh on the defensive for a change.

ngineer
March 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Surely you're not suggesting we discount all of the close games? You could also say that winning 2 out of the last three is a 66 2/3% winning percentage. Dominant! Nice to have Lehigh on the defensive for a change.

Well, it does beg the question of the term 'dominant.' If I beat someone by a couple points or on a last second play, can I say that I 'dominated' them? For a sportswriter to make such a statement would usually be laughable. Can a close game also be dominated by one team, but be close because of turnovers, etc.? Certainly. I was merely pointing out the over-generalization being used. (Don't have a Cap'n Cat 'overgeneralization flag ;) ) Considering the first six games of this decade have been split 3-3, I would agree that OUR dominance from the previous decade has ended. But it is premature to say that Lafayette has begun a new dominant era. I would say things are pretty balanced right now, which is good for the rivalry (and that is tough to admit ;) )

OL FU
March 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Based on the comments from the AGS posters, the biggest rivalries are:

1. Lehigh/Lafayette
2. Lafayette/Lehigh
3. Montana/Montana State
4. Appalachian State/ Coastal Carolina:D

Go...gate
March 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Colgate-Cornell is not played for a trophy, as far as I know. We used to play Rutgers for the Rutgers-Colgate Alumni Cup, but that was the only trophy game, I think.

March 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Rather than "quote" your entire post, I'll save space and note that Lehigh and Lafayette have played each other 141 times, not 139. I think even my spotted bretheran to the East will agree that we do not take kindly to any attempts to lessen the historic thread of this Game.;) :nod:No problem not quoting my post but did you read it?
Not all have trophies but this is from the I-AA.org 2004 Fall Preview Magazine...:nod:

Pard94
March 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Based on the comments from the AGS posters, the biggest rivalries are:

1. Lehigh/Lafayette
2. Lafayette/Lehigh
3. Montana/Montana State
4. Appalachian State/ Coastal Carolina:D

Correction...I think the list is more accruately...

1. Lehigh/Lafayette
2. Lafayette/Lehigh
3. Leopards/Mountain Hawks
4. Mountain Hawks/Leopards

aggie6thman
March 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Battle for the Golden Horshoe, the newly minted rivalry between UC Davis and Cal Poly. 2-0 lead for UC Davis and there is no looking back. The trophy has never been touched by the mustang faithful. We shall keep it that way.

http://aggiepack.com/graphics/Pictures/football/horseshoe4.jpg

carney2
March 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hey, Pards and EnginSquawks, any ideas as to what - after 141 meetings - should be the "trophy" that these two should be playing for? I'm talking about something really descriptive and historic, not something lame like the "Alumni Trophy" or whatever it is that is currently awarded to the winner. He-double-bar, there are "Old Oaken Buckets" and "Little Brown Jugs" and "Shinny Ninnys" and paintings and muskets and megaphones and bells and hats and shoes and wagon wheels and - well, you get the idea. Why don't we have something?

C'mon, guys, no screwing around here. Let's come up with something unique and get the ball rolling.

The leather helmet?

Hey, it's a start.

Pard94
March 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Hey, Pards and EnginSquawks, any ideas as to what - after 141 meetings - should be the "trophy" that these two should be playing for? I'm talking about something really descriptive and historic, not something lame like the "Alumni Trophy" or whatever it is that is currently awarded to the winner. He-double-bar, there are "Old Oaken Buckets" and "Little Brown Jugs" and "Shinny Ninnys" and paintings and muskets and megaphones and bells and hats and shoes and wagon wheels and - well, you get the idea. Why don't we have something?

C'mon, guys, no screwing around here. Let's come up with something unique and get the ball rolling.

The leather helmet?

Hey, it's a start.

Kind of crazy that there has been no trophy. Leather helmet would work...or more specifically, a trophy in the shape of a leather helmet. Or maybe something that plays on the steel industry connection (Bethlehem and Easton). An anvil?

Go...gate
March 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
How about a trophy like W & M and Richmond, with the all time scores?

JoltinJoe
March 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Fordham plays for two cups each year.

"The Liberty Cup" is awarded to the winner of the annual Fordham/Columbia game. It was first awarded in 2001 and is given in memory of the alumni of both schools who lost their lives on 9/11. Fordham leads the Liberty Cup series 3-2.

"The Ram/Crusader Cup" is given to the winner of the Fordham/Holy Cross game. It is awarded in honor of Frank "The Iron Major" Cavanaugh, the Hall of Famer who coached at both schools, and was first awarded in 1951. I'm not sure of the record in Cup games, but the all-time series stands in favor of Holy Cross, 22-19-2.

ngineer
March 6th, 2006, 09:34 PM
How about a trophy like W & M and Richmond, with the all time scores?

After 141 games, and many more to come, how f'ckn big would that sucker have to be?!!!!
Over the years, there was some idle talk about creating some kind of trophy or 'thing' to be fought over. Going back to my 'era' when both schools were just beginning coeducation, we joked about some kind of 'pussy' being fought over. But now that 141 games have gone by the wayside without any kind of 'trophy', anything conjured up now would be missing 'something' with no tradition of having handed it back and forth over the decades. If we were to start on, something reflecting the significant history of the game should be the focus, and the old leather helmet seems to be as close as I could get right now, and at this hour...;)

Golden Eagle
March 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM
This year sees the return of a hated rivalry, Tennessee Tech vs. Middle Tennessee State. MTSU (smack edit) barely leads the all-time series, at 35-32-7.

We play for a trophy already alluded to, called "Shinny Ninny". It's a totem pole, which is apparently why the Blue Raider fans call it "Totem Pole", creative lot they are. But it's true and proper name remains SHINNY NINNY.

And this year it comes home to Cookeville.

-----Please keep smack off the Discussion Board-------